PDA

View Full Version : Silenced Cathedral - A Closer Look

Oghamsmith
18th Jan 2016, 21:13
Once a bastion of Human hope, the Silenced Cathedral was overrun by the Vampire scourge many moons ago. Now, with the Human uprising gathering momentum, the time is right for the men and women of the Human race to try and lay claim to the work that their forefathers wrought.

Silenced Cathedral. What’s in a name?
Oh so much. There’s a good reason that tales of fay beings who do the bidding of those who wield their true name are commonplace around the globe.

When we first announced the Silenced Cathedral, we were torn between using that oh-so wonderful of names that many followers of the Legacy of Kain series would be familiar with; and using the colloquial name of the specific area within the Silenced Cathedral region, upon which the map is based.

Silenced Cathedral or The Nest, which should it be?

After receiving plenty of enthusiastic feedback from the community on the matter, it was clear that the vast majority of you felt it only right to bestow the name, Silenced Cathedral, upon the map. We’re more than happy to do just that.

Design Philosophy
Let’s take a moment to investigate some of the design philosophy that has gone into bringing the Silenced Cathedral to life.

Creating Claustrophobia
Hewn into the very rock from which the Silenced Cathedral was born; the masons and carpenters made use of what limited space was available during the construction of the cathedral. You’ll notice that the buildings within the settlement squeeze up against one another, as though huddling together for warmth in a desperate attempt to hide away from the chilling darkness imposed upon them by the Vampire infestation.

Many walkways between buildings, as well as those hewn within the walls themselves; are narrow, suffocating, affairs. They restrict vision and force human teams to constantly evaluate the sanity of utilising these swift, but more perilous, paths.

Vertical Warfare
Not only did the craftspeople constructing the cathedral maximise their use of space at ground level, but they also took advantage of cavernous crevices to build upward. Silenced Cathedral has one of the most tightly packed, and widely varied, skylines of any of the battlegrounds we have visited in Nosgoth to date.

This does have its advantages for the Vampires though, as they are provided with a wider array of directions from which they can launch their assaults!

Embracing Darkness
Manifesting itself in both the literal and metaphorical sense; Silenced Cathedral is littered with examples of Vampiric experimentation and torture. A more literal darkness envelopes some of the exterior locations between the buildings, within which smart Vampires can attempt to conceal themselves. Death hides around every corner for the Human party.

The Silenced Cathedral Will Soon Be Yours!
Since the moment we showed off Nosgoth's latest map, we've had a constant stream of questions from you guys asking when you can sink your teeth into it. Well, we're VERY happy to say that we're working on the final release build (of the map) right now, with a view to releasing Silenced Cathedral this week! Keep your eyes glued to are Facebook (https://facebook.com/NosgothOfficial) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/Nosgoth) channels over the coming days, as we'll make sure to let you know when the map releases, at both locations.

What do you think of Silenced Cathedral's design philosophy? Are you looking forward to playing mind games with your next meal?

Perhaps you're looking forward to the risk/reward setup as you traverse the map as a human? Choose the longer, safer, routes; or chance your luck taking the swift, but potentially deadly, approach.

Let us know in the comments below, and if you have any questions about the map, please don't hesitate to ask them!

Ygdrasel
18th Jan 2016, 21:54
Perfect. Though I do wonder if the "more literal darkness [that] envelopes some of the exterior locations between the buildings" will actually be dark enough to do any concealing.

Loving the torture vibes. Does that make me sick in the head? Eh, I'm cool with it. :D

Varulven
18th Jan 2016, 21:55
I think I'm in love <3
Can't wait to take mah baby spideh Lumis (my Deceiver... yes, he has a name :D ) by the hand and explore the new map with him :naughty:

GenFeelGood
18th Jan 2016, 21:56
AWESOME!

Looking forward to exploring this map. Is it possible to let that map be the only map we play outside of private matches for that day? I loved when that was done for Sommerdamm aand I know I'm not alone in desiring that for this map as well.

Ygdrasel
18th Jan 2016, 22:04
AWESOME!

Looking forward to exploring this map. Is it possible to let that map be the only map we play outside of private matches for that day? I loved when that was done for Sommerdamm aand I know I'm not alone in desiring that for this map as well.

Into it. When the Fane and Crucible came out, getting to play either was an ordeal. XD

troublemak9r
18th Jan 2016, 23:05
awesome guys, i cant wait longer!! :P

Ysanoire
19th Jan 2016, 08:56
Great to hear it's so close. Looking forward to checking it out.

Maybe it being the ONLY map in rotation isn't the best idea. I think Crucible had an increased chance to be selected when it came out, that was ok.

Vampmaster
19th Jan 2016, 10:23
Looks awesome! :) Do any parts of it match up with the actual rooms from SR1? Not counting the skybox.

lucinvampire
19th Jan 2016, 12:55
OMG OMG OMG OMG I can't wait :D so excited right now!

Oghamsmith
19th Jan 2016, 15:55
Perfect. Though I do wonder if the "more literal darkness [that] envelopes some of the exterior locations between the buildings" will actually be dark enough to do any concealing.

Loving the torture vibes. Does that make me sick in the head? Eh, I'm cool with it. :D

I mean...I'm pretty sure that most of us here are at least a little sick in the head :P.

I think I'm in love <3
Can't wait to take mah baby spideh Lumis (my Deceiver... yes, he has a name :D ) by the hand and explore the new map with him :naughty:
Hahah, fantastic!

AWESOME!

Probably not the only map in the rotation, it's possible to get too much of a good thing you know ;). We'll be increasing the % chance of its occurrence though, so you should see it a little bit more often than any of the others individually :)...at least for the first weekend.

Looks awesome! :) Do any parts of it match up with the actual rooms from SR1? Not counting the skybox.
No, this map takes place in a previously unexplored area. We'll be going into more detail about the map in a lore post that'll be released a little later down the line.

OMG OMG OMG OMG I can't wait :D so excited right now!

I can't wait to jump into it with REAL PEOPLE!!! (the rest of the devs don't count :P).

Heretic_13
23rd Jan 2016, 22:15
After seeing a map like this- i mean all vampire related maps, when you have some monstous buliding in the distance- like it is with Somokestack in Crucible- i really pray somebody like this would do some Soul Reaver remake, so i could "touch" them from up close :) details, this "old-school"(as in "Soul Reaver") feeling, colours, and gothic-mixed-with-steampunk.... Love it