PDA

View Full Version : Is TR losing it's edge (cont.)

Chronicles5
1st Jul 2002, 20:11
I saw this back in the old forums, and now that we can make a poll, why not? So tell me, is tomb raider losing it's edge???

Aquarius
1st Jul 2002, 20:39
It isn't loosing it's edge. It's just changing to apply to the times.

Would you still think it's fun if Lara is going through tombs, instead of racing through cities, killing guards, hiding from the security camera??

dgx2001
1st Jul 2002, 20:43
Tomb Raider is in no way "losing the edge"
If the whole series was about tombs, Tomb Raider would be dead already.

Chronicles5
1st Jul 2002, 20:55
I imply no thoughts whatsoever that I think tomb raider is losing it's edge, I'm just starting up an old post! I like every single level of tomb raider, and I think Core is taking a step in the right direction, so in no way is tomb raider losing it's edge :cool:

DKSM
1st Jul 2002, 23:22
Not losing it's edge at all.

MountainDewNut
2nd Jul 2002, 00:54
I don't think TR is losing edge.

Chronicles5
2nd Jul 2002, 00:58
of course it isnt im just contiuing a previous post ;)

LARAMANIAC
2nd Jul 2002, 17:15
No way Jose!!!!!:p

TRaiderlover
2nd Jul 2002, 19:16
She didn't lose her edge.....just think about it.....she has just returned from tombs in last revelation. Honestly, I think she will be tomb raiding after this is straighten out...about her killing her mentor Von Croy and much much more might can be reveiled about her, and where she has been, so I'm not going to say at all that she has lost her edge. I can't wait for this game!!:eek:

rimfire
2nd Jul 2002, 21:28
I don't know what the question meant to others, but II think it's losing its marketing edge. Two years is a HUGE time to wait between games.

The best time to market a new game would have been right after the movie, but that was a year ago. People are forgetting about it, at least the ones that aren't already Lara maniacs like us. Unless I've missed an AWFUL lot, there won't be a TR movie sequel released this summer to capture people's attention, and the DVD has been out long enough to be stale news.

I suspect that Eidos will have to go to the expense of a TV ad campaign for AOD and then hope the average gamer has a longer attention-span than a fruit fly, which is questionable. :)

Qualopec
4th Jul 2002, 12:07
Changing doesnt mean itll loose its edge, no.

But I still preferred TR1 style much more. They had the right idea with that game:)

It doesnt have 2b all about tombs, but centered around tombs throughout the game just like in TR1. And all the other levels leading up to the tombs should be caves, ancient ruins, junlges, temples and so on.

TR at its best:D

Solaris
6th Jul 2002, 00:30
Tomb Raider isnt losing its edge....
I just think its good for some change because tomb raiding may (i said may!) lose its touch. Some people (not me i like it anyother way) might want a different story line not a story line with an artifact.

but i think the idea of Lara being a convicted felon is a good stroy lie:D Can't wait to buy it!

DaveJ
7th Jul 2002, 08:53
Define its "edge"?

As a 3d action/puzzle game to be reckoned with?

Yes...it lost that a while ago and has been surpassed by other games many times.

As the last word in gaming visuals and sound?

Ditto on that one.

By having the most versatile character in a game, with more flexible moves than any other?

Luckily she still has the crown on that one.

By having longevity and not being like most console games that can be finished in 5-10 hours?

For the most part, yes...lets not mention Chronicles.

Do I hate polls clogging up the forum arteries like fat from a greasy burger?

Oh yes...

AngieCroft
7th Jul 2002, 09:33
I think the "Obscura Paintings" (lara is searching for in AOD) are artifacts. ;)

AOD510123
7th Aug 2002, 01:28
Tomb Raider is not losing its edge to me.

DaveJ
7th Aug 2002, 07:33
Originally posted by Chronicles5

Ouch! http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/let_it_all_out.gif

I don't think anyone came here to be insulted by any type of abuse, please, in the future, keep your nasty comments to yourself. ;)

Look at the date I posted that...many moons ago.
Back in the early days of these new fangled forums. When there were no actual threads.....just poll after poll after poll after...you get the picture.
Nasty comment? Nonsense.
Side-splittingly funny, rather.... ;)

Chronicles5
8th Aug 2002, 04:29
Oh, I'm really sorry, I didn't know you meant it as a joke. :o I'm deleting that post...:p

DaveJ
8th Aug 2002, 18:38
No worries either way.
:)

Chronicles5
8th Aug 2002, 22:30
OK, that's good then :)

THE True Lara
8th Aug 2002, 22:41
I guess that leaves me as the only person here with very serious doubts as to TR's future & new image.....?!

Oh well.

DaveJ
9th Aug 2002, 07:21
Depends.

If Tomb Raider retaining its edge meant re-treads of old games and no innovation, then it will lose me as a customer.

If its new image and new direction inject life into the old gal, then I'm all for it.

sbp
9th Aug 2002, 07:43
Is Tomb Raider losing it's edge???The answer is we don't know yet.

While new concepts were being introduced, the series as a whole was running out of steam especially towards the end. A major problem laid in continuously reusing the old engine which prevented the series from doing more. All this in a quest to ship a game every year so Tomb Raider fans would buy whatever was shipped in the box. Don't think so? Chronicles was an okay game but it was obviously rushed out just to get to get $ales. Everyone remember the bugs and its shortness? http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/disa.gif Really now folks, Eidos could have put an old shoe in the gamebox, called it Laras shoe and fans still would have gone out to buy it just to get a Tomb Raider fix. That's not good and you deserve much better for your money.

Hopefully, Tomb Raider AOD will revitalize the series by retaining what was great about the old series while pushing forward. A tricky act for sure-if the game is too radically different, old fans might be alienated and disappointed. If it doesn't change enough, then this game is just more of the same with prettier visuals. If this game is successful with this balance, with the lessons and yes mistakes of the old series having been learned from, then all is well with future games. However, if this series fails to achieve this balance, the gameplay stagnates by not evolving and this new engine is repeatly used while not taking advantage of the latest technologies as what happened with the old engine, then perhaps the plug should be pulled on the Tomb Raider series with the energy and time being put to better use on something new. Although its doubtful Eidos will do that to one of its main cash cows. Plus it appears Eidos has a whole series of Tomb Raider and Kurtis games planned out.

Chronicles5
15th Aug 2002, 18:11
You make a good point, but I just looked in Software Etc. for "Lara's Shoe" and I didn't see it.

So ha!

lol j/k :D

Well anyway, in my opinion, TR was extremely succesfull, and no-one here can wait till AOD, and I do agree, they're in it for the money, but cancelling or not making TR games would dissapoint TR fans from all around the world.

Do you people realize I started this poll many ages ago? LOL :D

Just let them make their money! It'll mean better games in the future! :p

P.S. I would not buy a "Lara's Shoe" :p

Sang
19th Aug 2002, 04:19
Talking about Lara's shoes, why don't they put a good quality Lara figure in the game box? It sure will be a collector item! I have a Lara action figure (riding the bike, looking very much "Lara") and love it!

cjhilljack
19th Aug 2002, 14:40
Originally posted by rimfire
I don't know what the question meant to others, but II think it's losing its marketing edge. Two years is a HUGE time to wait between games.

The best time to market a new game would have been right after the movie, but that was a year ago. People are forgetting about it, at least the ones that aren't already Lara maniacs like us. Unless I've missed an AWFUL lot, there won't be a TR movie sequel released this summer to capture people's attention, and the DVD has been out long enough to be stale news.
:)

I have to agree with you on the marketing point. In fact, I haven't even seen any TR games for my PSone in the stores lately and can't help but wonder if that is because they are sold out, or if they're not selling well anymore...

Isn't the new TR movie due out in November? I thought that was the last bit of movie info I saw said (or am I confusing it with the game????).

For myself though, TR will always be #1!