PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] The game leaves me so much dissapointed!

FlintEastwood
12th Jan 2016, 20:16
So much choices in the game - and they all lead to the same bad ending choice?
I thought different choices would lead to different endings, but its pretty indifferent for the final ending.

The worst thing is:
You fight all the way to save Chloe and her family, saving Kate, get through all this mess with Jefferson - and then there is no happy ending???

Is there no way that Max, Cloe and Arcadia Bay survives?

For example, Max steps between Nathan and Cloe and throws Nathan's gun in one of the toilets? Maybe she gets hurt by that and looses her power, so the storm won't appear and everybody survives. And she could use her knowledge of the future to nail down Jefferson.

But the game in it's state is really dissapointing. When I started the game, I thought it could be a game to play it two, three or more times.
After finishing yesterday, I think about throwing it into a corner and never take a look at it. :(
Ending of Episode 5 ruins a great game apart from that.

Tataboj
13th Jan 2016, 10:06
It looks like you really wanted that huge YOU WIN! sign. :) But they wanted to tell you a story and to get you in that atmosphere, you can't win Life is Strange.

FlintEastwood
13th Jan 2016, 18:49
It looks like you really wanted that huge YOU WIN! sign. :)
Is this so obviously? ;) But yes, I really like happy endings. :)

But they wanted to tell you a story and to get you in that atmosphere, you can't win Life is Strange.
Well, that is emotional cruelty.
A game which is all about choices and alternate realities should have at least one happy ending.

Maybe you know MaxPayne2 ?
This game is dark and seems hopeless too. So Mona dies at the end.
But what happens if you play the game on hardest difficulty? Mona survives.

Something like this would have been great in "Life is strange" too.

UNKLEPhilosophy
13th Jan 2016, 19:23
So much choices in the game - and they all lead to the same bad ending choice?
I thought different choices would lead to different endings, but its pretty indifferent for the final ending.

The worst thing is:
You fight all the way to save Chloe and her family, saving Kate, get through all this mess with Jefferson - and then there is no happy ending???

Is there no way that Max, Cloe and Arcadia Bay survives?

For example, Max steps between Nathan and Cloe and throws Nathan's gun in one of the toilets? Maybe she gets hurt by that and looses her power, so the storm won't appear and everybody survives. And she could use her knowledge of the future to nail down Jefferson.

But the game in it's state is really dissapointing. When I started the game, I thought it could be a game to play it two, three or more times.
After finishing yesterday, I think about throwing it into a corner and never take a look at it. :(
Ending of Episode 5 ruins a great game apart from that.

I swear every month some kid come here and ask the same thing like you, get over with it if you cant understand the game you shouldn't play with it life is not fairy tale,. Go and watch some fairytale, or play final fantasy ix.

Tataboj
14th Jan 2016, 11:21
Is this so obviously? ;) But yes, I really like happy endings. :)

Well, that is emotional cruelty.
A game which is all about choices and alternate realities should have at least one happy ending.

Maybe you know MaxPayne2 ?
This game is dark and seems hopeless too. So Mona dies at the end.
But what happens if you play the game on hardest difficulty? Mona survives.

Something like this would have been great in "Life is strange" too.

Well, in lots of movies there is only a bad ending and that's just it. Maybe it's emotionally cruel for some, but... that's life. :)

NoobDoctor
31st Mar 2016, 23:51
I dislike the end of this otherwise great game a lot, because I absolutely do not understand the need for this supernatural storm.

When I look at the gameplay, for me, the storm ruins a large part of the charme of the game, because it represents for me a sledgehammer method to show the player the (supposed) consequences of his actions. "Kill Chloe, or the city dies." Not very sensitive.

I mean, if you look closely, in my opinion there are different ways to make the players realize that Chloe's rescue causes a rat tail of negative consequences.

And this conclusion is that a serial killer remains on the loose and draws a long, bloody trail through Arcadia Bay. But seemingly, this was not blatant enough, instead there must be a supernatural hurrican that destroys the city. The universe points the index finger at Max and makes her the scape goat. She dared to change Chloe's fate, but the damned universe wanted Chloe to die.

Is the storm a great solution, a great story element? I think not, because if the developers with "Life is Strange - Season Two" stick to the recipe of a time-traveling protagonist, then it is clear where that leads, even before the first episode. The universe will be really unhappy that you play with fate, and is hell-bent to turn anything back you try. What actually is, "Go back to the beginning and let everything as it is." In other words, "You do not play this game, because everything you do, does not matter."

You know, before the publication of Episode 5, I suspected that "Life is Strange" might end with the same solution as seen in "The Butterfly Effect". Aside from adding a supernatural wrath of fate, namely the storm. An indication, a sign, which I regard as unnecessary, if you had the Killer story spun out consistently.

However, what I really liked are the nightmare sequences which confronted Max with the situations that she had modified. Instead of Arcadia Bay being destroyed by a furious storm of fate, I would have liked it much better and meaningful if Max was increasingly plagued by nightmares and dialogues with alternate realities and their craving, and not only at the end. And why not an encounter with Max from the future who has lost her mind due to the suffering around her, or because Jefferson imprisoned her.

Any harm that Max tried to avert might have called for new suffering, which would indeed ultimately constitute a copy of the concatenation of consequences from "The Butterfly Effect", but that way, the player does not lose the freedom of decision to the hands of a "Hurricane of fate".

When I look at the gameplay from a programming point of view, it will probably remain an illusion to enable the player to really choose between more than just two or three different endings. Essentially, it remains on a single narrative path that allows a tiny deviation here and there, because the cost of strongly divergent, parallel narratives is apparently too high.