PDA

View Full Version : consequences of rewind? (Time travelling) (ep.1 spoilers.)

Mustasurma
28th Dec 2015, 06:08
After playing episode one i'm more baffled that intrigued of the story.
Even careful non spoiling googling didn't help my questions. So i hope someone here could open the curtain of mystery little bit.

This topic will contain spoilers of episode 1

When max time travels first time, she gets teleported back to her classroom, But since there isn't two copy's of Max, it means that you are in original timeline. And if you forced time to not only stop but go backwards, it means that whole universe is already in unsync and everyone in it had severe head trauma.

Later it gets more odd, when Alyssa get hit by football.
If we go by multiverse rules there couldn't be branch, since max has no way to warn Alyssa. But for instance she could a) stay asking if everything is ok or b) ignore her. That would split the timeline to two parallel timelines.
But because she has ability to rewind she makes three. 1. Where Alyssa gets hit. 2.Where Alyssa get hit, max rewinds and fail to save her. 3.Where Alyssa gets hit, Max rewinds and manages to save Alyssa.
Problem being that when you are the same Max in all those different timelines and rewinding back to point 0. You do kill everyone and everything that is in that timeline (a.k.a whole universe).

Or again if all time travelling happens in one timeline You keep making universe more and more unsync and giving everyone more and more head trauma/deja vu moments.

In short. Is there somewhere inside or outside the game explanation how the time travelling works in this story and where did Max get her powers?

Also why Max get so freaked out about storm. But learning time travelling is just moment of "whoa" and then shes ready to go use that power for something like fixing Chloe's snow globe or helping Alissa. Without knowing the whole scale and consequences of messing with time.

------------------------------------

I have bad feeling that answer is that "it's there for game play reasons".
And yes i do understand its just a game.
But when we are talking about real life story and real life problems, it really feels odd to throw unexplained time travelling there too.

XTwipz
1st Jan 2016, 18:20
I think, but I'm definitely not an expert in this matter, that when Max rewinds, it sort of "cancel" everything that happened but it doesn't apply on Max and her stuff (I mean, if she took an object, she'll keep anyway). So, in my opinion, it doesn't create a parallel universe.

To simplify it (as you said it), the developers couldn't follow all the physic's laws (even if what you said is showed later). Maybe, I don't know, sometimes it doesn't make any sense scientifically speaking but it needs to be this way if we don't want to suffocate under too many informations. I don't know if you follow me haha ;) This game is a mix between real-life problems and fantastic stuff. We're seeing the impact of decisions through "new eyes" like "Whaf if we could reverse time? What it means? What it implies?"

Anyway, it gets even more difficult later in the game but I won't tell you anything, I'll let you find out by yourself.

See you around and happy new year ;)

Tataboj
1st Jan 2016, 18:47
I think all this time travel stuff in all the movies, books and games is better to be unexplained. In fact, it is often worse when it is explained, like time machines etc. Films like Next and Stranger Than Fiction (also my favorite films) do have a hero with some sort of power that he doesn't know why he has it. One supernatural thing in a normal world. In my opinion, not unexplained, but explained time travel seems odd to me, simply because that thing is impossible and any explanation isn't scientifically and logically true.

UNKLEPhilosophy
3rd Jan 2016, 22:28
I think all this time travel stuff in all the movies, books and games is better to be unexplained. In fact, it is often worse when it is explained, like time machines etc. Films like Next and Stranger Than Fiction (also my favorite films) do have a hero with some sort of power that he doesn't know why he has it. One supernatural thing in a normal world. In my opinion, not unexplained, but explained time travel seems odd to me, simply because that thing is impossible and any explanation isn't scientifically and logically true.

Like back to the future? it one of my favorite movie but sometimes its odd, and I not really liked the 3rd last episode.