PDA

View Full Version : Promotion ranks

ashwin
1st Jul 2002, 03:58
Can anyone give me the best ranks attainable at the end of each mission for finishing as a Field Marshal.

I think it will be helpful to ppl who have just started playing so that a prefect score can be attained.

Ashwin

Longshot
1st Jul 2002, 04:39
The highest rank I've ever got was Major, but it's probally possible to get to FM.

Red Mage
1st Jul 2002, 07:52
Hmm! I never pay attention to that,I wonder now what promotion I got? oh well back to the drawing board. NAH probly next year! :p

Longshot
1st Jul 2002, 08:01
Originally posted by Red Mage
Hmm! I never pay attention to that,I wonder now what promotion I got?

Didn't they demote you to private? :p

iakovos
1st Jul 2002, 08:19
I got Brigadier, me thinks. Anyway in order to get the FM rank, which is the biggest and greatest, you need to get all the stars.
You are asking something like:
Mission 1: Corporal
Mission 2: Sergeant etc.

Well, it doesn't make any sense to be directed that way. You'll be FM if you get all the stars in each mission. And I do mean ALL.

Iakovos:)

ashwin
1st Jul 2002, 08:46
Yah. That was what I wanted.

BTW, I saw on some website that getting full stars in Mission 1 is impossible as quoted by the guys at Pyro. Below is the quoted statement.

The unachievable goal: 5 stars in mission 1
Pyro was a bit piggish about this one. If you're one of those people that try and try to get a merit of 5 stars, get used to the idea of not being able to. Mission 1 has a lot of impenetrable doors, therefore you loose credits for "Visited areas". They should have warned us! BTW, don't you agree that such a success as getting 5 stars should have been rewarded in some way?

If this is so then becoming a Field Marshal is not possible. Right???

Ashwin

iakovos
1st Jul 2002, 12:52
Not necessarily so.
Example: you need for instance 10 missions x 5 stars each = 50 stars.
Now to be FM you may be needing 40 - 45 stars. Not 50 stars in total to get the required promotion. Some fans have acquired the rank of FM so the total ammount of 50 stars does not count.

ashwin
1st Jul 2002, 14:31
Thanks Iakovos for the calculation but is it possible to get the step by step promotion from the guys who have got FM.

Ashwin

Yahiko Li
1st Jul 2002, 15:13
My rank now it's General, and I have five stars in seven missions. So I guess if you get five in nine missions you'll be promoted to FM.

ashwin
1st Jul 2002, 16:45
Hey Yahiko,
Can u list down the rank u obtained after each mission along with the no of merit stars u got. I'm sure u will remember after having a very good ranking.

Great going. This is the best I have heard so far. Someone else managed Brigadier.

I am in Das Boot now. Got promoted to Corporal with 4 stars.

Ashwin

Yahiko Li
1st Jul 2002, 17:03
Mmmm... Right now I'm using a public comp (I don't have internet in my house), so it's kinda difficult to me to list all of them but let me think, ne?

And yeah, trying to get all five stars it's hard, but not so much. Next to Brigadier is General, and next is the most wanted: Field Marshall.

Let me think about that, and I will post them, ne?

iakovos
1st Jul 2002, 17:55
As far as I recall (from the BEL and CBTCOD games) you get the promotion by taking 3 merit stars in total. Now if that has changed in C2 I don't recall but if that still applies you could be FM by mission 6, if you had a PERFECT score. That of course does not apply so... you still need points from mission 7 to mission 10.
So we have:
1. Lance-Corporal (Start, All Games)
Mission 1: 5 merit stars, +2 promoted to Corporal.
2. Corporal
Mission 2: 5 merit stars, (7 stars-3) +4, promoted to Sergeant. (4-3)+1 promoted to Quartermaster.
3. Sergeant
4. Quartermaster
Mission 3: 5 merit stars (6-3), +3, promoted to Lieutenant, (3-3) +0 promoted to captain.
5. Lieutenant
6. Captain
Mission 4: 5 merit stars (5-3) +2, promoted to major.
7. Major
Mission 5: 5 merit stars, (7-3)+4, promoted to colonel, (4-3) +1, promoted to Brigadier.
8. Colonel
9. Brigadier
Mission 6: 5 merit stars, (6-3) promoted to General, (3-3)+0, promoted to FM
10. General
11. Field-Marshal
Mission 7: 5 merit stars
No promotion
Mission 8: 5 merit stars
No promotion
Mission 9: 5 merit stars
No promotion
Mission 10: 5 merit stars
No promotion

All the above is highly hypothetical. But seems logical.

Yahiko Li
1st Jul 2002, 18:13
Absoulutely hypothetical. I'm not trying to contradict you Iakovos, but I have gained five stars in seven missions, and I'm just General. I got four stars in the other three.

But here's the good thing. You have listed ten ranks (if we don't count Lance-Corporal), that means that you'll be promoted one rank each time you finish a mission with full stars.

So, Ashwin, thanks to Iakovos, there you have all the ranks you can have in this game. I think you should thank him.

iakovos
1st Jul 2002, 18:19
Originally posted by Yahiko Li
But here's the good thing. You have listed ten ranks (if we don't count Lance-Corporal), that means that you'll be promoted one rank each time you finish a mission with full stars.

Yes. The only flaw in your supposition is that in some missions you may get a second promotion as well, according to the number of merit stars required to be promoted. So 10 missions does not necessarily mean 10 standard promotions. In my example we have 6 missions = 10 promotions.

Yahiko Li
1st Jul 2002, 18:28
Yes, I see your point. Less (than 5) stars for first missions, and more (than 5) stars for lastest missions, ne?

Longshot
1st Jul 2002, 19:18
I don't think iakovos mentioned this or not but it's only the stars on the bottom line that count for promotions, the other stars make up the stars at the bottom. And the stars you get on the bottom line will carry over to the next mission

EX. You get 3 stars in mission 1 and then 3 stars in mission 2, You'll get promoted and still have one star remaining which will carry over to the next promotion.

I thought the stars in BEL and BCD were more reasonable, I mean who wants to go around for 2 hours knocking out everyone on the map? It gets boring after a while, plus its a war2 what do you need hostages for...kill them?

Red Mage
1st Jul 2002, 19:56
Actually now that I think about it am Field Marshal all the way since the start of the commandos series when I go into battle I name my commandos starting with LongShot formaly known as ShotDead which fails all the time even on easy mode so your still a private in my game.

P.S. I really pick everyone names from this forum. Hehe j/k :p I never die because I take my time playing whats the rush!

ashwin
2nd Jul 2002, 03:57
My sincere thanks to Iakovos and Yahiko. From what I understand from Iakovos, u get a promotion every mission, u get the FM rank.

And if Yahiko has got 47 out of 50 stars
(5 stars x 7 + 4 stars x 3) , where did he miss the promotion of a single rank for a superb run??

Ashwin

Red Mage
2nd Jul 2002, 06:59
My sincere thanks to Iakovos and Yahiko. From what I understand from Iakovos, u get a promotion every mission, u get the FM rank.

That does not sound right at least not completly true your score at the end of each mission gets you closer to being a Field master until the end of your last mission, so what am saying is if you compleate your first mission with perfect score you don't become field marshal you work up the ladder of command until you reach it with a perfect score at the end of the last mission of the game.

Kristian
2nd Jul 2002, 07:08
woow Iakovos....
You really know much bout c2, i almost got sick of reading all you've wrote.....:D

Kristian

Aeternus
3rd Jul 2002, 12:45
The only thing worth getting the stars in C1 was the fact that you could access an extra mission.
I would agree with red mage, what's the rush?
Most people would not get all the stars because of mission time, the first time around it is kinda hard to end up with the 5 stars for mission time.

iakovos
3rd Jul 2002, 16:56
Originally posted by Aeternus
The only thing worth getting the stars in C1 was the fact that you could access an extra mission.

Not so. We did discuss this in the old forum. Most of the European versions did not have that glitch about the very last mission (mission 20) of BEL. Honestly I do not care about the score cause the system sucks big time.

Aeternus
3rd Jul 2002, 18:43
Well, how should the scoring system work?
My idea would be individual stats for each commandos and at the end of the game, the commandos who have the best stats get to play some hidden level

Yahiko Li
3rd Jul 2002, 18:50
That would be interesting, but you would always play those missions with Tiny.