PDA

View Full Version : Dracoraptor's Guide to Role Playing on the StarTopia Boards

Dracoraptor
1st Jul 2002, 00:59
As you all (Don't) know, I am the inventor of the RPG, starting with the KTF Wars. Which were, shall we say, unofficial. However, the style is considered RPGing style. If you don't know what an RPG is, let me explain it to you, earthling. An RPG, or Role Playing Game, is a game where everybody plays one character and acts him out during the game. More specificly, StarTopia's RPGs are Play by Post. Which means we post them on a forum, rather then a MMORPG or E-Mail RPG. And the genre, is Sci-Fi. To add to that, there are two types of RPG we play here. StarShip Wars, and Station Life RPGs. I will explain both in excruciating detail, and guide your lowly carbon based molecules through strenous reading. If you have weak eyes, than this is not for you. I say, not for you. And if you cannot use spell-check, the exit is on the left...

StarShip Wars RPGs

StarShip Wars RPGs are the big war-like RPGs with all the explosions, lasers, whatever. But they are more that. the early ones were very un-ruly, and actually orginated from station-life RPGs, although now, they are governed by Game Masters and such. Despite the increased rules, they can still get out of hand. So here is the guide what not to do and what to do. First off, the most important rules is to never, ever, control the outcome of your action by controlling someone elses fleet. This is a big, no-no, and is tolerated with sub-zero tolerance. This is what led to 99% of the unruly RPGs. The second rule, No super-fleets. One really big ten mile long ship is good (That is, if it can't destroy a whole fleet with its massive super-weapons). But a whole lot of them, plus a million fighters and so on, is unacceptable. It ruins game-play and such. Another good thing to remember, is don't try and be invincible. We don't like that kind around here.

Again, try to control your own fleet and talk with only your character and NPCs (Non-Player Characters) only. Example...

Me:"Helm, turn the ship fifty degrees and head towards the hyper-bouy".

It is highly recommended that you put the currently speaking character's name in bold, with a ":" after his/hers/its name. It is also recommended, before typing anything, to spell-check it. This is so we don't have to heavily modify our translators to figure out the strange, mis-spelled language that is not spell-checked or heavily coated in errors. Now to actions, when posting actions, it is recommended that you post them like this.

<The ship turned fifty degrees starboard and slowly moved towards the small hyper-bouy.>

Notice how the text is in itallics and surrounded by a "<" ,and a ">". This is to avoid confusion with a speaking character and such. This also states what is currently happening. Now to combat, this is unacceptable...

Me:"Deploy the fighters!"

<The fighters deployed out of the hanger and tore the enemy fleet into minced meat.>

Not only does that show lack of creativity, it is unfair to the apposing side. And yes, this is a democracy, not communism. We all get our fair share in a RPG, even in fights. The previous quote, should be something more like this...

Me:"Deploy the fighters commander!"

<The sleek, red fighters came screaming out the hanger in formations of five fighters per group. They charged at the enemy, taking a few, but loosing some of their own. The battle raged on in confusion, fighters and laser-fire everywhere. The capital ships even had some fighters run into them!>

See, much better. I will explain more later.

JSWY
1st Jul 2002, 07:44
I started the largest RPG however, The Great War, and I hope we have another one soon :)

NZrevenge
5th Jul 2002, 14:52
Somebody make this sticky! It's good advice and will go a long way to keeping things sane around here.

SkrasherSmasher
7th Jul 2002, 18:20
< SkrasherSmasher activates his clapping machine. The replicated sound of two hands hitting each other echos through the forum.>

SkrasherSmasher: Bravo. This seems to be a very informative post and me and my machine applaude you and your efforts to keep RPG'ing at its best! Though I don't participate in RPG'ing, reading the posts is very enjoyable to me.

<SkrasherSmasher hits the clapping machine, shoves it into his overly large pocket, and walks away.>

Edit: Question, if I were to get into this RPG'ing, would I need to write a history of my planet and such such?? Help on the subject would be apreciated!

Ghyron
7th Jul 2002, 21:54
Originally posted by SkrasherSmasher
[I]Edit: Question, if I were to get into this RPG'ing, would I need to write a history of my planet and such such?? Help on the subject would be apreciated!

Nah, no need, just be, for example, a Turakken like DMA651, or a salt hog, like "Senor the Spanish Salt Hog". Where did he go off to anyway?

SkrasherSmasher
7th Jul 2002, 22:43
Oh well, I went and made a race derived as a spinoff from the Fallout group Brotherhood of Steel, read Fallout: History.

DMA57361
8th Jul 2002, 16:50
Oi! You spelt my name wrong. :rolleyes:

JSWY
8th Jul 2002, 21:34
Originally posted by DMA57361
Oi! You spelt my name wrong. :rolleyes:

It happens to me alot, I got mentioned on the special thanks of one website as JSYW :(

SkrasherSmasher
8th Jul 2002, 21:37
Wow! I have no idea about your problems! People know my name cuz' it aint so dang complicated and it makes sense. JSWY is just a bunch of letters, and DMA57361 has too many numbers to remember.

DMA57361
9th Jul 2002, 17:30
After mis-spelling "Ghyron" in another thread. I'll let you off.

And I can remember my name very easily. But that's only cos I use it several times a day. Most people just call me "DMA" online, and that's fine by me. ;)

I'm just gonna be nosey and say - JSWY, do your letters mean anything? The "DMA" are my initals, numbers are random. Are the JSWY anything significant? - Here ends noseyness.

EDIT - Spelling correction

SkrasherSmasher
10th Jul 2002, 17:35
Originally posted by DMA57361
After mis-spelling "Ghyron" in another thread. I'll let you off.

Ooops! Did I misspell Ghyron or did you? I'm sorry if I did!

DMA57361
10th Jul 2002, 17:39
No. I mis-spelt Ghyron and he moaned, after I had moaned about him mis-spelling mine above. And so, the circle of life is complete . . . :rolleyes:

SkrasherSmasher
10th Jul 2002, 17:48
I finally feel your pain. Re-reading through the RPG's, people commonly refer to me as SkrasherMasher, forgeting the second S. I can't belive I missed that mistake that many times!

Arctic_Wolf
25th Aug 2002, 05:20
And yes, this is a democracy, not communism. We all get our fair share

Communism is meant to be as fair as you can get! Were everyone is equal and no one is betterthan you or anyone else. Russia was not true communism as Marx wrote it. Both Communism and Democracy are built to serve justice, only that democracy is currently the more praqctical solution. You have either very poorly grasped recent history or have been mis-educated, to make this mistake. What you were thinking of was Capitalism, or on the exteamend. Facism.

Now, could we a quick edt please?

Arctic_Wolf
25th Aug 2002, 05:25
Oh, yes. Great work Dracoraptor. I got bit carried away abouve but my statments stand. Shouldwe add this together with the 15 High laws of RPG?