PDA

View Full Version : New Map Preview : The Nest

Oghamsmith
8th Dec 2015, 20:11
http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/680/blog/swiftorsocial.png

In what were to be the dying days of the last flourishing of their civilisation before Kain established his divine empire seemingly for good, a plan of staggering ambition was hatched by the finest architects and artisans that Humankind had to offer. Realising that outright warfare against the Vampires was costing them too dearly, and could perhaps only ever end in defeat, the greatest thinkers conceived of another way to battle the threat. A weapon of unprecedented size and power that would require a building the size of a towering, spiralling cathedral to house it. While this cathedral itself was built atop a sheer mountain cliff top, the critical axillary structures and supporting areas came to be carved out of the cliffs and valleys for miles around. Now, fallen and infested, one such of these places is known as the Nest.

We’ve already shown you a few sneaky screenshots of Nosgoth’s next map, tentatively named “The Nest” (although you may see another one of the considerations during the loading screen ;). In just under 24 hours, we will be going live with Swiftor on www.twitch.tv/swiftor to let each and every one of you see what the map currently looks as both Humans and Vampires traversing the field of combat.

It’s important to remember that this is very much a preview of an unfinished version of the map, there is the potential for some elements to change, and there's still quite a bit of performance optimisation to be done.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/677/blog/awesomeshot.jpg

Tomorrow (Wednesday the 9th of December) to www.twitch.tv/swiftor (http://www.twitch.tv/swiftor) at 7pm GMT/ 11:30 PST (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Nosgoth+-+The+Nest+Map+Preview%21+&iso=20151209T19&p1=136&ah=1&am=30) where Swiftor will be playing Nosgoth for just over an hour, and taking a look at the new map.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/679/blog/awesomeshot3.jpg

Swiftor may well have some goodies to give away, and we’ll be in chat answering your questions. Save the date! Be sure to swing by and let him know that you’re coming to check out the new map :) .

We can't wait to see what you think of the new map...and while it's not ready to be put into every player's hands just yet (we still have more work to do on it), we hope that this stream will provide you with a good idea of what to expect. Please, feel free to pour all of your thoughts, opinions and feedback in this thread.

perpetualodium
8th Dec 2015, 20:23
Tomorrow (Wednesday the 9th of December) to www.twitch.tv/swiftor (http://www.twitch.tv/swiftor) at 7pm GMT/ 11:30 PST (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Nosgoth+-+The+Nest+Map+Preview%21+&iso=20151209T19&p1=136&ah=1&am=30) where Swiftor will be playing Nosgoth for just over an hour, and taking a look at the new map.

Haha. Guess I'm staying up all night. I'm cool with that, though.

The artwork looks incredible. Love the art of the guy being tortured. One of my favourite parts about Nosgoth is all the bloodied corpses scattered around the environments.

Chulo86
8th Dec 2015, 20:41
WOW!!! O.o this is the 3rd most impressive map I've ever seen D:

the structure at the top from the cathedrals block puzzles,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobNPUzoSIE

the holes on the natural landscape that give it that hive look.

and I especially like the green fire! very soul reavery if that's even a word :P

CountEyokir
8th Dec 2015, 20:46
Really looking forward to this reveal, especially its the best soul reaver related additional content we've had thus far. I do have some concerns I wanna raise

1) - as Vampire maps going to be the name ('the' something). We've had THE fane and THE crucible and now THE nest (yes I know working title). Just don't wanna get stuck in that trend.

2) - green fire seems a little hyldenish. But if its like Ignus Fatuus from the swamps around Vorador's home that'd be ok
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/legacyofkain/images/3/37/BO1-Wallpaper-VoradorMansion.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20120313124840

3) Will we be getting Silenced cathedral inspired music and not just reusing the Fanes theme again?

snejjjj
8th Dec 2015, 21:27
We need more bug fixing

Vampmaster
8th Dec 2015, 21:34
Not everything green is hylden and not every artist on the map is a programmer that could fix bugs.

Map looks awesome! Really creepy and loving the torture devices.

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 22:19
Loving the torture stuff.

And yeah, there does seem to be a "The [Blank]" trend going on...
Very BO2-ish, and it always seemed kinda lazy and half-attempted there.
Not to accuse the devs here of that but it just ties into that same vibe by association.

And it kinda kills a bit of the anticipation. Instead of wondering what the new map might be called, I'm just wondering "What word will they put in front of 'the' next?"

The fire is interesting. Eyokir says it's Hylden-ish but it actually looks to be, color-wise, somewhere between "Hylden green"and the ignis fatuus. If you guys could reference the ignis fatuus in the map's eventual lore post, that'd be pretty cool.

Vampmaster
8th Dec 2015, 22:30
Loving the torture stuff.

And yeah, there does seem to be a "The [Blank]" trend going on...
Very BO2-ish, and it always seemed very lazy and half-attempted there.
Not to accuse the devs here of that but it just ties into that same vibe by association.

The fire is interesting. Eyokir says it's Hylden-ish but it actually looks to be, color-wise, somewhere between "Hylden green"and the ignis fatuus. If you guys could reference the ignis fatuus in the map's eventual lore post, that'd be pretty cool.

TBH, I think it's silly to jump to the conclusion that every occurence of one colour in the entire series is connected to a single character or group. I mean how many times do we see the colour green in a day? It's quite a lot. If it really must be one or the other, I'd prefer the Ignis Fatuus over the Hylden. I mean we can't have the Hylden being everywhere otherwise Kain and Raziel would already have known everything in SR1.

Inrezairo
8th Dec 2015, 22:34
TBH, I think it's silly to jump to the conclusion that every occurence of one colour in the entire series is connected to a single character or group. I mean how many times do we see the colour green in a day? It's quite a lot. If it really must be one or the other, I'd prefer the Ignis Fatuus over the Hylden. I mean we can't have the Hylden being everywhere otherwise Kain and Raziel would already have known everything in SR1.

Agreed I've seen green fire in real life. I bought my then boyfriend a trick lighter that had a green flame because I thought it looked cool although yes I also usually associate green in the LOK universe with the Hylden.

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 22:51

Oh, it certainly doesn't have to be either. It'd just be neat if it were ignis fatuus. Might get a little background on the nature of those lights. (Though the wiki notes that, at least around Vorador's place, they were extinguished in the post-BO era.)

Whatever, it looks really cool. :D

KaininitePriestess
8th Dec 2015, 23:03
/SCREEEEEEEEEEEEE!/

I'll definitely be watching this tomorrow! :gamer:

Gugulug5000
8th Dec 2015, 23:08
Wow, that first screenshot looks amazing! The second one looks great too but I just can't stop admiring the top one. I'm getting really excited for this map. Well done art team, well done.

My thoughts on some of the other points in this thread:

1) "The ____" trend for vampire maps: This doesn't bother me either way, but I don't think that it needs to be adhered to when trying to come up with a name for the vampire maps. If the name has the word "The" in the front, that's fine as long as it sounds good. I'm honestly not all that fond of the name "The Nest" though.

2) Exclusive music: yes please. That was one of the biggest disappointments with the Crucible. Both maps need their own music that hearken back to the Soul Reaver clan themes (like how the Fane's music took inspiration from Ozar Midrashim).

3) Green fire: I don't think this necessarily needs to be linked to the hylden or the ignis fatuus. I'd actually say no to linking it to the hylden, but if they wanted to somehow link it to the ignis fatuus, I'd be okay with that. Of course the explanation could just end up being "well it's just green fire" and I'd be okay with that.

I really wish that the stream was during a time where I could watch it. Someone record it and share please!

EDIT: Also, I haven't seen any of Clan Zephonim's banners/clan symbols anywhere in the previews (maybe I'm just overlooking them), but having a few of those around would be nice as well.

Shikei001
8th Dec 2015, 23:17
Map looks rly nice *_* cant wait to watch the stream^^

Can we get some high resolution Screenshots tho ? :)
Maybe even high res concept art ?

Just for my Nosgoth Wallpaper Collection :D

Ygdrasel
9th Dec 2015, 00:57
2) Exclusive music: yes please. That was one of the biggest disappointments with the Crucible. Both maps need their own music that hearken back to the Soul Reaver clan themes (like how the Fane's music took inspiration from Ozar Midrashim).

Is the Crucible STILL lacking its own music? Oi...Yes, absolutely, this will need its own tunes. Something eerie to set a mood as off-putting as the Zephonim. >:3

I hadn't noticed the Zephon statue. Nice touch. (I've always assumed it was representative of Zephon, anyway...)

"In what were to be the dying days of the last flourishing of their civilisation..." - This reads kind of overly-long and awkward. I'd cut it down to 'dying days of their civilization' but eh.

Raptr0s
9th Dec 2015, 01:44
Is this the same map we saw a preview of in the state of play post? It looks a lot different

Here's to hoping there are two new maps :D

EDIT:

Nevermind, now that I looked at it again, I can see the similarities

Looking great, this map has me excited for sure!

GenFeelGood
9th Dec 2015, 03:13
I love the look of this map, very creepy; but I am also not fond of adding "The" to every vampire map. I know you said it is a working title, so are you open to suggestions if a thread was started?

CountEyokir
9th Dec 2015, 08:38
Pretty cool, to see that moving forward! Already have some questions about the map layout and how that is supposed to be human/vampire balanced.
But anyway, so most pressing question I have is:
Why is Swiftor streaming this preview? Isn't he some Call of Duty comedian? What does he have to do with Nosgoth? Does he even know how to play or is this gonna be an unbearable sight to watch again (campare dev streams). Or am I getting that wrong and his channel is just hosting the event?
If this is an attempt to advertise Nosgoth I am all for it, but yeah, I can't see how Swiftor is the best choice there.

I mean this is a good way to reach a huge audience and make Nosgoth more known. But no one (I think his viewers are mostly CoD fanboys = people you wanna reach?) is gonna play a game that is shown played by somebody who has no clue about it and who (I bet) will be inclined to making fun of it to amuse his viewers. Good luck with that.
Let's wait and see.

Yeah I also found the choice of venue a bit of a confusing eyebrow raiser. I don't know who made this call but it seem a decision made out of the misguided need to appeal to a demographic who would never be interested long term in Nosgoth as they already have the thing that gives them their jollies. I've said before that Nosgoth ought to create its own audience and then pander to them exclusively. It'd be a smaller niche audience but far more loyal and willing to spend long term cash.

Vampmaster
9th Dec 2015, 10:49
I'm kind of split on the Swiftor thing. On one hand, I really wanted to hear from the developers on what they've been up to (Rahabim! Come on, the just enough hinting to keep us from giving up hope getting ridiculous now!) and their inspirations in designing the map. On the other hand, Nosgoth is getting desperate for new players from looking at the steam charts lately. I also hate to generalise that all COD players in his audience are dumb kids who throw tantrums all the time. Who knows, maybe some would even be interested in LOK and the Lore.

I disagree about intentionally going for a small audience. I don't mean pander to the lowest common denominator, but you know, advertise to everyone and see who decides to take a look.

CountEyokir
9th Dec 2015, 11:48
Advertising to as wide an audience as possible is one thing - trying to make a game based on reflecting the needs of that wide audience is another. I just don't want to see this attitude be reflected in the development of the game itself - because all we'd end up with is a Vampires vs marines game with a playerbase of really winey, self entitled aggressive and downright rude players who laugh at the idea of 'lore' of any kind (yes I've seen them do this myself. Seriously we DON'T need or want these people anywhere near the lok franchise)

RainaAudron
9th Dec 2015, 11:59
Why is Swiftor streaming this preview? Isn't he some Call of Duty comedian? What does he have to do with Nosgoth? Does he even know how to play or is this gonna be an unbearable sight to watch again (campare dev streams). Or am I getting that wrong and his channel is just hosting the event?
If this is an attempt to advertise Nosgoth I am all for it, but yeah, I can't see how Swiftor is the best choice there.

I´m asking myself exactly the same questions. There are plenty of good Nosgoth streamers out there already, why choose Swiftor over them, especially after his very poor performance last time, is beyond me... (I never heard of him before).

CountEyokir
9th Dec 2015, 12:02
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/thatguywiththeglasses/images/7/7d/AngryJoePortrait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090210195920
Why not ask Angry Joe to do it? He's streamed Nosgoth before and I'd sort of trust his audience to be far more discriminating, appropriate and appreciative
-YRcTObbMu4

RainaAudron
9th Dec 2015, 12:06
Good point on Angry Joe, his Nosgoth video was actually quite entertaining and he seemed to enjoy the game quite a lot.

Vampmaster
9th Dec 2015, 12:14
Advertising to as wide an audience as possible is one thing - trying to make a game based on reflecting the needs of that wide audience is another. I just don't want to see this attitude be reflected in the development of the game itself - because all we'd end up with is a Vampires vs marines game with a playerbase of really winey, self entitled aggressive and downright rude players who laugh at the idea of 'lore' of any kind (yes I've seen them do this myself. Seriously we DON'T need or want these people anywhere near the lok franchise)

I just mean I'm opposed to the generalisation of entire groups just as much as I'm opposed to pandering to dumb individuals.

Louves
9th Dec 2015, 12:58
Why Swiftor again? He did a terrible job when the Summoner came out (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=151468) and it was very clear he did not play the game before.

Ysanoire
9th Dec 2015, 13:03
Jebus, guys, there ARE NO popular streamers who play Nosgoth.

Swiftor may not be a Nosgoth pro, but he tried to make the game look fun; I'm sure there were people checking it out afterwards. I don't personally care, just want to see the map.

lucinvampire
9th Dec 2015, 13:33
Shiny, can't wait to get to see the new map...man it's been so long in the making. :D

Oghamsmith
9th Dec 2015, 16:08
Glad to see such a positive response to the map snippets :). I can’t wait for you to see the rest of the map during tonight’s stream!

My lord I didn’t think there would be such distaste for the word “The” :P. I kid, you bring up a fair point regarding a bit of a trend with map naming schemes beginning to emerge. That probably won’t change with this release, but it’s something that we can bear in mind with any potential maps after this.

And to clarify for anyone still in doubt, yes this is the map that we’ve been discussing across various State of Play releases.
Requests for higher resolution screenshots…we'll have those coming out a little bit down the line.

Regarding the request for a bit of a dev Stream. That’s certainly something that I want to do, it’s just a matter of finding the right time at the moment.

As for this assumption that Swiftor streams only CoD. While he certainly does play that game, he plays plenty others as well. To pigeonhole him and his community is unfair and inaccurate; and the notion that one group of gamers is in a position to look down upon another is not one to which I subscribe. He is a good guy who enjoys playing Nosgoth, and conveys that well on stream, even if he’s not the best in the world at the game. Which is absolutely fine.

We’re very much pleased to have him playing the game, and to have him showing off what many within Psyonix and Square Enix have been working on for quite some time.

We know you guys want to get as much info and as many details about new releases as you can. I’m in the same position every time I get a even just the tiniest titbit of new info, I just want more :P! As updates are made to the map, and we move closer toward a final release candidate, I very much look forward to jumping onto a smaller stream on our own channel to really take an in-depth look around the map with you guys, and answer as many of your questions as we can on-stream :).

For the time being though, we very much hope that you enjoy the boarder look at the new map that Swiftor will be carrying out later on today :).

Da_Wolv
9th Dec 2015, 17:28
Jebus, guys, there ARE NO popular streamers who play Nosgoth.

Swiftor may not be a Nosgoth pro, but he tried to make the game look fun; I'm sure there were people checking it out afterwards. I don't personally care, just want to see the map.

He can't be worse than the guys on the previous official streams...
yes... I went there

kLauE187
9th Dec 2015, 17:35
yea lets make a map preview with a random streamer no one knows and who doesnt even give a **** about nosgoth.

KaininitePriestess
9th Dec 2015, 18:39
Why does it even matter who plays the stream? We're getting new info. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :/

Besides, let's not forget that Pewdiepie, Minx, Markiplier, Wade, Ohm, and a wide variety of other Youtubers were some of the first people to show gameplay to the world, over a year ago. I wouldn't say that they're the types of people that reflect the community (though some of them are LoK fans) as a whole, but they still made it enjoyable and brought new people to the table.

Diction's screams of horror as he was mauled by Reavers will always make me laugh, negl. XD "HALP! HALP HALP HALP! D8<!!!"

CountEyokir
9th Dec 2015, 19:46
Feedback from the playthrough

The map looks amazing especially the background detail and I can't wait to play it. Definitely things I wanna say though about it

1) Please keep the developmental name of 'Silenced Cathedral'. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

2) Unique music based of the Zephonim theme from Soul Reaver is a must. rlwmH_rzhH8

Louves
9th Dec 2015, 19:50
2) Unique music based of the Zephonim theme from Soul Reaver is a must.

I would like to hear something like this (https://soundcloud.com/richardbuzas/creed-of-terror)for the new map.
I just hope it won't have the fane music again (like the crucible that still does not have it's own theme :poke: )

CountEyokir
9th Dec 2015, 19:58
I would like to hear something like this (https://soundcloud.com/richardbuzas/creed-of-terror)for the new map.
I just hope it won't have the fane music again (like the crucible that still does not have it's own theme :poke: )

Yes the Crucible needs its own special music
CfFM6fR1t2E
euU5H4ln2_A

But with this map coming out the....no I'm not gonna call it the Nest. I'm gonna call it 'The Silenced Cathedral' regardless. That's what it should and ought be called. This map needs its unique music badly.

Lord_Aevum
9th Dec 2015, 20:39
Feedback from the playthrough

The map looks amazing especially the background detail and I can't wait to play it. Definitely things I wanna say though about it

1) Please keep the developmental name of 'Silenced Cathedral'. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

2) Unique music based of the Zephonim theme from Soul Reaver is a must.

But with this map coming out the....no I'm not gonna call it the Nest. I'm gonna call it 'The Silenced Cathedral' regardless. That's what it should and ought be called. This map needs its unique music badly.

Agreed on both counts, especially on retaining the original and superior name! :)

Ygdrasel
9th Dec 2015, 21:45
players who laugh at the idea of 'lore' of any kind

Annoyingly and depressingly, we already have those sorts near Nosgoth...

Vampmaster
9th Dec 2015, 22:37
So, feedback:

I liked the map overall. It's very fitting for the Zephonim. I thought the sky was a but bright, considering it's a vampire territory. I could be mistaken as I only caught part of the stream on my phbne, but I think I saw one of those clothes like things line tiny flags on a string. That isn't something that would be fitting for the area. I think that big Zephom statue would look great with some sort of glowing crystal or effect of some sort in the hole. Perhaps a spider trapped in resin or maybe amethyst representing an abyssal bolt.

I think the name should be that of one of the towns surrounding the cathedral. I mean it's clearly not the same building as the cathedral itself and it would be good to have an idea of the cathedrals location relative to the various former human cities. And having multiple locations withon the vampire territories helps bulk out the world a bit.

ParadoxicalOmen
10th Dec 2015, 00:52
Why Swiftor again? He did a terrible job when the Summoner came out (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=151468) and it was very clear he did not play the game before.

I don't know this guy...but he seems to get a good amount of views in his vids. So this is probably why they chose him, not too famous to be expensive, but just enough to spread the word about Nosgoth.
Personally i like more when the devs were doing the streaming (fan of Corey Davis and Eric Majka), but i understand the logic behind hiring famous-ish streamers.

Quite creepy music, very fitting of a Zephonim map :thumb:

The main reason i came here was to ask if the stream is anywhere? I missed it and was hoping it might be on youtube, but i didn't find it neither on Nosgoth's or Swiftor's channel :/

Louves
10th Dec 2015, 01:09
The main reason i came here was to ask if the stream is anywhere? I missed it and was hoping it might be on youtube, but i didn't find it neither on Nosgoth's or Swiftor's channel :/

You can find the VOD on Swiftors twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/swiftor/v/29088235

kLauE187
10th Dec 2015, 04:12
map looks awesome, but i guess it might even more vampire-sided than crucible. could be kinda tricky for competitive if you spawn in a bad spot as human and rotate to "best-spot" because there's a high chance you get completely slaughtered. but lets see, hopefully we can play the map soon.

Ygdrasel
10th Dec 2015, 04:41
So, feedback:

I liked the map overall. It's very fitting for the Zephonim. I thought the sky was a but bright, considering it's a vampire territory. I could be mistaken as I only caught part of the stream on my phbne, but I think I saw one of those clothes like things line tiny flags on a string. That isn't something that would be fitting for the area. I think that big Zephom statue would look great with some sort of glowing crystal or effect of some sort in the hole. Perhaps a spider trapped in resin or maybe amethyst representing an abyssal bolt.

I think the name should be that of one of the towns surrounding the cathedral. I mean it's clearly not the same building as the cathedral itself and it would be good to have an idea of the cathedrals location relative to the various former human cities. And having multiple locations withon the vampire territories helps bulk out the world a bit.

Yeah, that big hole in the sculpture just seems like poor structural design...

And as per the text given, it seems to be carved directly out of the cliffs surrounding the Cathedral rather than a town, but we could do with some filling out of the world in that way.

I can't quite make out that statue beside Zephon but it appears to be a kneeling figure similar to that one in The Fane. Ever more hints at a human sect willingly subservient to them...Would love an outright Undercity map one day.

SonixSquad
10th Dec 2015, 05:54
Although it looks awesome, I can't say I was that impressed by the map. Playing it will be the decider for me.
The streamer didn't really do it much justice (he played it twice and didn't really know what he was doing most of the time) although I can understand the marketing strategy behind wanting a streamer who has 1k+ viewers to do this rather than someone from the community who might have 10 viewers that already play the game. Lets face it, the numbers are on the decline unfortunately.

KaininitePriestess
10th Dec 2015, 06:01
I'm definitely one of the people rooting for it to be called the Silenced Cathedral instead of "The Nest." SC is just so much better, we've always referred to a potential Zephonim-territory-map by that name, anyway, that's what everyone thinks of when they think of the Deceiver's home! ;D

Also loving that Soundcloud link for music for the map, something like that would be perfect! It really really needs something creepy like that! There haven't been enough creepy-sounding musical tracks in the game yet, and I think that those sorts of sounds would just add to the LoK atmosphere that we're all wanting!

The map itself is absolutely gorgeous, I love the chiaroscuro caused by the light shining in from over the edge of the cavern it's carved into! It causes some really awesome, creepy and dark places while also giving some great bright places for the Humans to flock to if the shadows are too dark and give the Vampires an easier way to sneak up on you. It's also cavernous, which I quite love, though I'm sure that just the way the Crucible was labyrinthian to me when I first played it but quickly became easy to navigate, this will look less maze-like the more comfortable we get to the map.

I like the statues above the gate the way they are. They looked just like that in the frescos in the interior of the Cathedral 10 years ago, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief in regards to their structural integrity. Maybe that explains why, by the time Raziel rises out of the Abyss, they've long-since crumbled to dust with the rest of the village!

Ygdrasel
10th Dec 2015, 07:57
I'm definitely one of the people rooting for it to be called the Silenced Cathedral instead of "The Nest." SC is just so much better, we've always referred to a potential Zephonim-territory-map by that name, anyway, that's what everyone thinks of when they think of the Deceiver's home! ;D

Also loving that Soundcloud link for music for the map, something like that would be perfect! It really really needs something creepy like that! There haven't been enough creepy-sounding musical tracks in the game yet, and I think that those sorts of sounds would just add to the LoK atmosphere that we're all wanting!

The map itself is absolutely gorgeous, I love the chiaroscuro caused by the light shining in from over the edge of the cavern it's carved into! It causes some really awesome, creepy and dark places while also giving some great bright places for the Humans to flock to if the shadows are too dark and give the Vampires an easier way to sneak up on you. It's also cavernous, which I quite love, though I'm sure that just the way the Crucible was labyrinthian to me when I first played it but quickly became easy to navigate, this will look less maze-like the more comfortable we get to the map.

I like the statues above the gate the way they are. They looked just like that in the frescos in the interior of the Cathedral 10 years ago, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief in regards to their structural integrity. Maybe that explains why, by the time Raziel rises out of the Abyss, they've long-since crumbled to dust with the rest of the village!

It doesn't seem to be the Cathedral. Seems to be a separate-but-related place they took down on their way to taking the Cathedral.

And we seriously need some news on the Crucible music. Then music for this. (That soundcloud's pretty great though. Even builds up to something you might hear from the Cathedral's pipes...)

I wonder why the hole in the statue though. Seems to be roughly in the chest area. Chest, heart...Perhaps given Zephon's increasing insect nature, it's meant to symbolize a lack of reliance on anything as paltry as emotion. And I'm pretty sure the pictures show no big chest hole....Though either way, I think it ought to have something. Just seems odd to be empty like that. Maybe some depiction of an egg - assuming Zephon has changed enough that he's producing them yet.

...Actually, the hole's fine as long as I can climb up and through it. :D

Gugulug5000
10th Dec 2015, 08:13
The map looks absolutely amazing. It's without a doubt my favorite looking map now. I did notice a few Zephonim banner scattered around the map, so that made me happy. I agree with everyone else, just call it the Silenced Cathedral instead of the Nest. The art department keeps on amazing me (now I'm hoping they can make the Rahabim equally amazing).

And since everyone else is pointing it out as well, I'll say it too: don't forget the map music Psyonix!

Vampmaster
10th Dec 2015, 08:29
I never said there was any issue with the structural integrity of the statue. I just thought it would look cool with something shiny in the hole.

Even if you guys want to say this is the exact same building as in SR1, it's at the very least a part of the cathedral we haven't seen before. It has a completely different layout than any part we visited in SR1, As I keep pointing out, Kains empire would be pathetically tiny if Nosgoth in SR1 was to scale. So it's no suprising there'd be parts of the locations we'd never seen before.

The statue was a painting in SR1, so it can't be the exact same room. The main courtyard for lack of a better word is also much smaller in SR1, so I don't buy it as that area either.

Da_Wolv
10th Dec 2015, 10:05
yea lets make a map preview with a random streamer no one knows and who doesnt even give a **** about nosgoth.
Either that or have 40 views... sad but true.
They want to showcase the map to us, and the game to more players - so having Drew stream it won't draw in anyone that already plays the game a lot.

map looks awesome, but i guess it might even more vampire-sided than crucible. could be kinda tricky for competitive if you spawn in a bad spot as human and rotate to "best-spot" because there's a high chance you get completely slaughtered. but lets see, hopefully we can play the map soon.
Spawning is garbage in most maps, either due to the map's architecture or the basic mechanisms at the core of the game. If you have bad luck, you can spawn on the most inopportune spot 4x in a row on any map.

Although it looks awesome, I can't say I was that impressed by the map. Playing it will be the decider for me.

I agree. This was more to showcase the aestetic of the map. The gameplay is something we'll need to find out ourselves when it drops.

The streamer didn't really do it much justice (he played it twice and didn't really know what he was doing most of the time) although I can understand the marketing strategy behind wanting a streamer who has 1k+ viewers to do this rather than someone from the community who might have 10 viewers that already play the game. Lets face it, the numbers are on the decline unfortunately.

Exactly, though I do agree it is very painful to watch someone 'noob out' for an hour when all you want to see is the map he's goofing around on.
You can't expect him to be on ESL-Level in his plays, of course, but not even bothering to read what his abilities do and then using them.. idk that annoys me.

I think its a great case study for the devs though:
He was using the flashiest abilites (Immolation, Pounce, Disguise - but in a wrong way), which are all simply not useful the way they are designed (including Disguise, which has a name that conveys the wrong idea to new players).
Watching noobs play can be a great analytical tool to adress early game balance and how it carries over to late game play.
I have said it over and over: Don't give people Pounce as a start ability - all it does is encourage them sitting on roofs waiting to miss their pounce, retreat with Evasion and try again. And then when they leave New Recruit they get killed mid air while pouncing and quit the game...

lucinvampire
10th Dec 2015, 13:13
I just wanted to throw my two cents in response to last nights stream...first of all really enjoyed it, it was generally a good stream, it's just a shame the viewer count wasn't higher.

Now onto the important part the map...

Sadly with the stream it seemed a little unclear, just all streams are a bit so it never shows the quality of the maps like you see them in game, but what I saw I really did love, it has turned out to be another stunning map, I know the detail in it will be much more when we see if first hand ;p

It was good to see/notice some of the little hints to LoKness added.

I'm glad it wasn't overly webby though, you seemed to get a good balance with that which was nice.

Completely loved the lighting on the map, the light coming through the archways was great, and the darker corners/shadows of the map.

And all that weird Zephonim tourture uhhh stuff looks like it could be a barrel of laughs, man the parties at their place must be to die for heh.

I don't think there was anything I noticed that I want to rage about (from memory) so yeah lets just say I really can't wait to go exploring on this one when it finally hits our screens - devs work faster :poke: work faster

RainaAudron
10th Dec 2015, 13:57
I really wish they will use a more competent streamer next time. He had no idea on how to properly use many abilities, not knowing what Crucible is, etc., so I rather muted the video. I really hope that Provance music was just a placeholder, the vampire maps deserve their own unique tracks. Map looks good luckily but we can´t really tell unless we get to play it.

Ysanoire
10th Dec 2015, 14:01
I really liked the look of the map. I'm a little bit concerned that the dark areas are going to affect visibility, but I guess it's partly up to gamma settings and such.

I also had the impression the map was as vampire sided as Crucible, if not more. Which I guess is a good thing because the early maps had a lot of open spaces.

ParadoxicalOmen
10th Dec 2015, 20:25
You can find the VOD on Swiftors twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/swiftor/v/29088235

Many thanks :)
I'm a noob about twitch, for some reason i thought they had only live-streams (no archived).

CountEyokir
12th Dec 2015, 15:42
So it seems pretty unanimous about one particular thing. The Vampire maps, the Crucible and the new Zephonim map - need their own unique music. That is definitely agreed by everyone?

Ygdrasel
12th Dec 2015, 23:27
So it seems pretty unanimous about one particular thing. The Vampire maps, the Crucible and the new Zephonim map - need their own unique music. That is definitely agreed by everyone?

Yessssss. Seriously, do they just have nobody working on music? How long's The Crucible been out?