PDA

View Full Version : FF7 Remake "multi-part series"

MouseCheeksNavidad
7th Dec 2015, 03:37
It all sounded too good to be true and I've been waiting nervously; looking back at Square's habit of finding unique ways to completely destroy a game. That's probably the worst thing you can do. Even if you get everything else right, that is still ruining it.

You have to be mentally handicap to think FF7 fans, new or old are going to be OK with FF7 as a multi-part series. The writing is already on the wall and it's only been a day.

Enjoy your loss of revenue and customers.

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 04:35
Square Enix has released a press release that the game will be multi part game!!
Lets say no to that!

Tsuyukiko
7th Dec 2015, 04:36
It all sounded too good to be true and I've been waiting nervously; looking back at Square's habit of finding unique ways to completely destroy a game. That's probably the worst thing you can do. Even if you get everything else right, that is still ruining it.

You have to be mentally handicap to think FF7 fans, new or old are going to be OK with FF7 as a multi-part series. The writing is already on the wall and it's only been a day.

Enjoy your loss of revenue and customers.

Eugh... Yeah, this could be pretty bad. It's sort of vague though, so cross your fingers and hope that they just mean something like the compilation. We should try to wait for official confirmation before jumping onto things.

On the bright side, if it is episodic, it could mean that we'll be getting more content than the original game gave us. Maybe they'll make it a higher quality than usual. More time to work on things, more disc space to jam stuff in. The problem is if they'll be doing that or not and if they plan to sell it for full price if they choose not to...

But I agree, if that's really how it is, this is dumb.

onewingedknight
7th Dec 2015, 04:39
i agree soooooo much. if they make the game in episodes, i'm done with square enix, iv been a long time fan but they have been ******* with my emotions for too long.

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 04:40
I fell the same way!
My hype went from 100 to 0 real fast!

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 05:09
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/673702586382348289

We gamers are so FU"#ED!
Because of the stupid people that buy DLC
It will be SEVERAL parts!
The link if from the twitter of Takashi Mochizuki

Tsuyukiko
7th Dec 2015, 06:10
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/673702586382348289

We gamers are so ****!
Because of the stupid people that buy DLC
It will be SEVERAL parts!
The link if from the twitter of Takashi Mochizuki

Calm down and look again.

"Square Enix says the FF7 Remake's data size is so huge; the software will be split into several titles."

Meaning that the game is massive. It'd be the worst thing to try to buy digitally and it might not even be fitting on the discs. If that's the case and the majority of data is content, then it'd be no different from buying multiple games that are separate. The only difference here is that this is one large story. Yes, this can end badly. But depending on how this is done, it can give Square more time, money and space, which in return will give us more content and quality. Regardless, we don't have enough information to judge if this is good or bad right now. We have to wait for them to tell us what they have planned.

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 06:21
Calm down and look again.

"Square Enix says the FF7 Remake's data size is so huge; the software will be split into several titles."

Meaning that the game is massive. It'd be the worst thing to try to buy digitally and it might not even be fitting on the discs. If that's the case and the majority of data is content, then it'd be no different from buying multiple games that are separate. The only difference here is that this is one large story. Yes, this can end badly. But depending on how this is done, it can give Square more time, money and space, which in return will give us more content and quality. Regardless, we don't have enough information to judge if this is good or bad right now. We have to wait for them to tell us what they have planned.

If they make a trilogy like Xenosaga i might think it over but.....

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 06:25
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/snippets-of-new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-info-from-famitsu/

Some more info

Tsuyukiko
7th Dec 2015, 06:42
If they make a trilogy like Xenosaga i might think it over but.....

I feel like that might be the case. If the work that they've been doing on the game for the last year+ is mostly just for the first part, then we might be getting the amount of content that a single game has, even though we're only getting half or less. And honestly, that's pretty exciting to think about. Expensive, but exciting.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/snippets-of-new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-info-from-famitsu/

Some more info

See? What'd I tell ya!

Interesting though, now that CC2's been confirmed. I wonder if it's just for G-Bike, or if they're doing more. Hmm...

Delangsta
7th Dec 2015, 07:13
No matter how they're spinning this, it is simply abusing the hype to make more money. Damit Square, first the annoying Deus Ex Mankind Divided fiasco, now this? Also, your Fabula Nova Crystallis failed epically, causing all sorts of financial concerns and it doesn't seem like you've learnt your lesson at all - don't bite off more than you can chew!

Quality > quantity, we don't need massive amounts of content for FF7. Just do the best remake of the original as possible as one game, and add extra content as optional DLC later!

Tsuyukiko
7th Dec 2015, 08:16
No matter how they're spinning this, it is simply abusing the hype to make more money. Damit Square, first the annoying Deus Ex Mankind Divided fiasco, now this? Also, your Fabula Nova Crystallis failed epically, causing all sorts of financial concerns and it doesn't seem like you've learnt your lesson at all - don't bite off more than you can chew!

Quality > quantity, we don't need massive amounts of content for FF7. Just do the best remake of the original as possible as one game, and add extra content as optional DLC later!

Games are insanely expensive to make. If we're getting content and quality that's worth multiple discs, then I don't think it's that terrible to have to pay for it. As I've said before, it's like buying multiple games. Maybe a touch cheaper for Square since some models are able to be reused, but the rest still has to be programmed, rewritten, animated, redesigned, and so on. And who knows, maybe the people who bought the previous game get a coupon to buy the next one for a bit cheaper.

Go check out the article that Ricardo gave us. Have a look at what Nomura said:
"If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We’d have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achieved, we have decided to split the game into episodes."

This is believable. I don't want parts of the original game to be cut, I want the game to be what it was and more. I think everyone does. But since there's just so much to fit, it needs to be split up. Do I think that it's cool that we might have to pay? No, not at all. But considering the amount of money and effort that goes into making a single game, and them technically making multiple, I think it's only fair.

MouseCheeksNavidad
7th Dec 2015, 08:21
First, I don't buy this data garbage. When last I checked 60gigs can be put on a single blueray. Even then, the original FF7 was a 3 disc game. And before anyone gets in to it, there's a HUGE difference between a 3 disc game and 3 installments of the game, perhaps the biggest being the changes in game mechanics, something Square boasted that they're going to do. That's right. The worst thing they can do, they're already bragging about doing. Second of course is that FF7 still used largely the same data on all 3 discs. Only some cut scenes, monsters etc. were any different. Their data claims make it clear they have no interest in keeping multiple installments that close. So basically, on disc 3 you won't be able to go back to Disc 2 places and events. Those are just two of many problems with it.

Secondly, Lost Odyssey was an early Xbox 360 title that had very good graphics, all the same basic elements as FF7 such as open world travel with the same dynamics, towns etc. and it was NOT the massive project FF7s developers are claiming. Really, I don't see why FF7s graphics need to be any better then Lost Odyssey's but even with the graphics as they are, it's still not going to take a bunch of blueray discs. Don't forget, Skyrim and Fallout 4 only use one disc and they're far bigger then FF7 will ever be.

Square's developers have been making these complaints for years now. I don't buy them nor does anyone else. I don't know about in Japan but here in the USA people see you for what you are. Lazy and uninterested in what your customers want. That's the difference between Japanese and American/European game makers, and that's why the west is taking over the game industry.

Remember Xenosaga. After the first two suffered in the market, they had to squeeze the rest of the series in to the 3rd game (the only one that was any good). Who wants to bet that's what's going to happen to FF7? And watch, I bet Square is going to respond with "I guess no one is really interested in FF7 after all" rather then accepting that they messed up big time. I can't count how many times I've seen that from companies who don't listen to their customers.

In any case, I have no interest in a milti-part remake of FF7. I won't buy it even when it makes it to gamestop's $10 bin. Hell, I wouldn't play it if someone gave it to me for free.

Ricardo_PT
7th Dec 2015, 08:33
I feel like that might be the case. If the work that they've been doing on the game for the last year+ is mostly just for the first part, then we might be getting the amount of content that a single game has, even though we're only getting half or less. And honestly, that's pretty exciting to think about. Expensive, but exciting.

See? What'd I tell ya!

Interesting though, now that CC2's been confirmed. I wonder if it's just for G-Bike, or if they're doing more. Hmm...

wait what?!?!
CRISIS CORE 2?????
can you elaborate, got lost at the 2???????????

Edit: CyberConnect right?
Sorry for the confusion on my part

the_gullwing
7th Dec 2015, 11:42
Hello there Square Enix,

Today I've read on polish video games online web page that FFVII Remake will be realesed as "multi-part series". Square Enix, please tell us what does it mean? Are you planning to do the same thing you've did with FF4 After Years?

UltimaFFVIIFan
7th Dec 2015, 12:14
I am ok with this, I think they will make one main disk for full price and make the next parts add on content for free, only because the don't have time to do all of it, they need to do part by part patiently. Don't worry, it's going to be great!

Juakin
7th Dec 2015, 13:21
I am ok with this, I think they will make one main disk for full price and make the next parts add on content for free, only because the don't have time to do all of it, they need to do part by part patiently. Don't worry, it's going to be great!
You must be kidding right? You think they're gonna make a whole CD and then give you the rest for FREE? What kind of $quare-€nix have you been following?

Juakin
7th Dec 2015, 13:26
I'll just say this here, there are rapists, murderers and pedophiles, then there is Square Enix in a higher level of repugnance.
How could you destroy this game and people hope so quickly? I just don't understand.

AnyaLaw
7th Dec 2015, 14:37
I never heard of this game.

dravenla
7th Dec 2015, 18:41
Saw this on IGN comment sections and this is probably exactly what they are going to do.

$59.99 Final Fantasy VII Remake - Midgar - Play the highly anticipated remake but only until the end of the Midgar sequence.

$49.99 Final Fantasy VII Remake Season Pass - An Open World Map and 85% of the game now available - of course it was already on the disc but now you can access it...

...or buy each of the 4 parts of the world map separately as they are "released" for the low price of $15.00 each.

Coming Soon -
$9.99 Golden Saucer DLC All the fun you remember available for a low low price

$9.99 Chocobo Racing & Breeding DLC - having trouble in the end game then buy this DLC to get access to Knights of the Round...

Or add a new character to your party with the Character DLC:
$4.99 Vincent Valentine DLC
$4.99 Yuffie DLC

And...announcing - in 1 year -
$15.00 Final Fantasy VII Remake Final DLC - Sephiroth Fight - Want to see how it ends!

KotaZero
7th Dec 2015, 19:35
I'd be fine if it was Multiple Discs for installing it to the hard drive and one disc to play that content

HitenBR
8th Dec 2015, 01:04
We have been waitng for 8 years(since the PS3 trailer) for this.
If you can't MAKE a FF7 game, DON'T do it.
What is this?
Final Fantasy 7 Part 1: Midgar (U$ 50 )
Part 2: Gold Saucer Adventures ( U$ 20 )
Part 3: Old memories(Nibel part) ( U$ 20 )
Part 4: Mom, I am going to space! ( U$ 20 )
....continue
DLC : Weapons! ...
Well... just because of FF7rmk, I will not buy this or any Square games.
Good bye.

fc3srx7
8th Dec 2015, 08:28
I'm not happy about this multi part series announcement ff vii is a single game this is how it was released and this is how it should be. releasing just a segment then going sorry now you have to wait 12 months to play further is a joke. This will kill interest and hurt the game.

Why is it possible to release other final fantasy games in a single release but all of a sudden a final fantasy remake needs to be done in multi stages this just feels like a terrible cash grab with lazy justification.

evosteevo
8th Dec 2015, 11:10
I'm buying it day one hopefully if I can get a preorder. I can't believe how delirious some of these Square Enix "fans" are. This games going to be phenominal. I knew there was going to be some sort of backlash, though. Between the battle system, story elements or just peoples imaginations taking control of their feelings. Nobody knows how this will unfold. How can people be so demanding about this? You should be happy it's even happening after all the nasty remarks that people have thrown at SE. It's unexceptable. And of all the companies capable of telling a compelling story, SE is the best. Why doubt them?

Juakin
8th Dec 2015, 12:38
This sucks.
They have said that every "Episode" will be a "Full Game" so, prepare 69€ for each one...

Yggalf
8th Dec 2015, 20:48
Me and friends of a Fanclub here in Austria where all excited when we heard about the FF7 Remake. That changed when we heared about the Multi Part release.

I hereby have the sad but important task to tell you that a part of the Fanclub of Squareenix and other great Game Developing companys here in Austria (around 26.000 ppl on Facebook who signed they will not buy it) are not going to buy your game because of your marketing decision that is in our eyes complete and utter bull**** to milk the customer for maximizing your profits alone. If that works in your country fine with us. Here it wont and you lost us. Even if you would change it we will not support you anymore by this horrible decision. It just showed us that the Squaresoft/Squareenix we knew and grew up with does not longer exist.
If you want to become a 2 EA then you will do that without us.

We have some little game developers too in our fanclub and your argumentation is a lame excuse since there would be no problem for you to release the full game on multiple CDs/Blue Rays with around 100 gb each. If it would be that huge (we talk about 120 GB and going) which we all doubt here.

I know 26.000 ppl does not sound much compared to the size of my country and the ppl who live here (around 9 million) it really isnt. Compared to all the customers you will have i imagine you will not even care at all.
Non the less thats 26.000 fans i can guarantee you to not buy your game. If you have a team for your marketing we would suggest you fire them. Since we know you wont listen to us anyways we say thank you for almost 30 years of great Games and many happy hours in our childhoods and bid you farewell.

May you go bankrupt and let a company that listens to their fans take over as you did in the old days. We all here guarantee you that you will ruin your own legacy of FF7 with this marketing strategy and its sad to see that our once so beloved Studio we all cared so much about has become a second EA games.

Bye Bye Squarenix. :(

PS: Many of us including me are on Facebook already telling you by the hundreds of thousands that we will not support his kind of marketing where you will **** us on the deal. I do not understand who is responsible for this and why you dont fire him/her/them.
I really hoped you would not **** it up but sadly for us all you ruined your own Legacy of FF7.

PPS: I could not find any other place where i could let SE directly know of this and how they lost many many fans and customers with this bad move forever.

-Mikfail-
9th Dec 2015, 00:23
Just wanting to chime in about this too.

I'm not thrilled to hear the remake will be multi-part or episodic. I think everyone would like to see this as a whole game.

With that said. depending on how the "multi-part" is done. I could be understanding of it. I would imagine, from intro to ending & considering their intended expansions to gameplay,maps & story, the size of this game would be monstrous(estimate 300gb+). We can see the level of detail displayed in the trailer, it's pretty high quality.

However, SE is no stranger to releasing a game with multiple disks.

Is it that you just need more time SE? People have waited many years for this without even knowing the game was in production. The reveal was enough to suppress concerns, people will be willing to wait again!

I'm really not sure what is going on now & am fearing for the future of this masterpiece. Even if each part is equal to a fullscale game, there is few gamers that enjoy episodic titles. Once you hit the end of a part & see the "to be continued", it becomes a real game killer. Many people will just flat out not buy it till each part is out in full, this way they can play through the game seamlessly as it should be.

(Some steam users may cringe at downloading 300gb+, but they won't be regretting it!)

Take your time SE, quality like this can't be rushed! If money is the concern, put up the preorders for all platforms rite now. Noone will be afraid to invest!

nickmc0016
9th Dec 2015, 11:14
I have been a fan of the Final Fantasy games as long as I have been gaming. But I fail to see why this cant simply be on a few discs just like the OG was. And if that means a slightly more expensive game as a result then fine, but this episode **** has me very nervous. Depending on the pricing I might be out.

FantasyDreamKey
9th Dec 2015, 21:10
As long as the game is super great with great gameplay, great story and great extra contents, then I have no problem with this. I actually don't see the problem with this. I played a game which separated into four games. Has anyone heard of 'Hack'? That game separated the whole story into four games. I brought all of them and had fun playing with them. The story fitted together really well and you still can go to areas from the previous games.

Now I am waiting for Final Fantasy 7 remake limited edition.

Yggalf
9th Dec 2015, 21:40
As long as the game is super great with great gameplay, great story and great extra contents, then I have no problem with this. I actually don't see the problem with this. I played a game which separated into four games. Has anyone heard of 'Hack'? That game separated the whole story into four games. I brought all of them and had fun playing with them. The story fitted together really well and you still can go to areas from the previous games.

Now I am waiting for Final Fantasy 7 remake limited edition.

There are multiple problems with that. FF was never released in parts. Fans asked for a decade for this. Now they milk the franchise. The to big for one game alone is only bull**** and everyone knows it.
We get more and more by the day on facebook.

FantasyDreamKey
10th Dec 2015, 01:11
I am a very naive person who always sees good things in people.

You do have a point, with the technology we got now. But we don't know for sure if that is the case. I don't know for sure if they are milking the franchise or they're just want to make a fun game for everyone to play. I am hoping that they are doing this because they couldn't fit all the data they created onto one disc and they want to give us the best game ever. I am also hoping that they will price each of them a reasonable price or release all the discs in one package (like the original game). I also want a cool special limited edition ones with cool stuffs like artworks, action figure, free DLC codes, and so on.

I don't know what their intentions are but I can hope that things will turn out fine at the end for everybody. Right now I will keep believing that they will try to make the game as best as they can and will try to please the fans with the game that they always wanted.

MouseCheeksNavidad
10th Dec 2015, 17:44
I think the real problem with Square is that they are one of the ring leaders in the Japanese immature business practice of doing what the employees think is cool rather then listening to their customers, and then looking for a quick and easy bail out when their projects crash and burn. More of Square's games crash and burn then you might think. And they know better. They just can't resist doing what THEY want rather then listening to their customers. I seam to recall them actually admitting it at one point.

Again, this is not limited to Square. It's synonymous with Japanese culture. Looking back at Square's behavior in the video game industry, I think the PS2 was the real pivot point. Game graphics were not that great all together throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s. In those days it was a no-brainier that; if you wanted an adventure game you had to cut back on visual graphics.

If you remember the 80s and 90s then you remember just how far behind other games the Final Fantasy games were in visual graphics. Yet every time a Final Fantasy game came out it was a BIG deal.

Journey to the next decade and you have Final Fantasy x. Despite it's popularity, FF10 was the true pivot in Square's downward spiral. With the PS2 you suddenly had games that could rival the visual quality of television and we started to see the beginning of realistic simulated physics and realistic environments. ALLOT of Japanese game makers went buck wild with all these new graphics and all and we started seeing games that were more movie then game. And Square jumped on that bandwagon with FF10. We're talking about a game that had far better graphics then any Final Fantasy prior but so linear and short it was hardly recognizable as a Final Fantasy game at the time. Without Chocobos and the name I doubt anyone would have recognized it as having anything to do with Final Fantasy. Sadly; while a few Japanese game makers eventually woke up; square has remained hooked in this obsession with the latest graphics and the most spectacular game engines rather then giving people a !@#$% Final Fantasy game.

Believe it or not, games by the big wigs of the Japanese game industry usually fail in the market; not because of poor sales but generally because of the money they put in to their games. And the worst part is, the REASON the games tend to be so outrageously expensive is because of stuff no one cares about or pays any attention to, like incredibly detailed but completely inaccessible backgrounds, ridiculous and unnecessary physics etc.

To me, Square's decisions surrounding the FF7 remake indicate that they've completely lost it. They know they only have one shot at a FF7 remake and doing it right. And I am sure that; despite what they say, some sort of major financial need is among the chief motivations behind it. Yet they are making the same mistakes that financially set them back in their effort to acquire the funds they seam to need.

For all the talk about "going back to their roots", they seam to be going even harder in the same old direction they've been going for the last 15 years.

If any Japanese developers ever read this or get it translated, we have a saying here in the United States. "Talk is cheap."

MouseCheeksNavidad
10th Dec 2015, 17:51
However, SE is no stranger to releasing a game with multiple disks.

There's a big difference between a multiple disc game and a multi-part series.

Considering that nowadays games need to be installed anyway, a game taking up 3 or 4 discs is even less of a problem then it was in the 90s. That's assuming it even needs more then the 60 gigabits of space a single blueray disc holds. If Square's data claims are true, the FF7 remake will take up half or all of your PS4's hard drive! I don't know of any video game ever made that even comes close.

Kie891997
10th Dec 2015, 22:37
How about this?: Have each part on separate discs but in the same box, a la the original...

As games on the PS4 install to the disc, could SE not have each disc be able to read from the same save file as each other. So once you finish FFVII:R-1 it will say "Please insert FFVII:R-2" then you put that disc in and keep everything from the FFVII:R-1 installed file, since it reads from one save file (Save file will be huge but oh well).

The last part will install the final part of the game, but see that you have the previous parts installed and let you play the whole game as in go back to previous areas that former discs installed. E.g. Part 1 has Midgar on it but last part gives north cave though last part can let you go to Midgar since that part is already installed on the PS4 from Part 1.

Also releasing it as a digital title can navigate these Blu-ray disc issues, though I'm preferential towards retail releases.

In Short - Each disc installs each part making full game, each part reads from same save file and each others install data.

Ashtabley
11th Dec 2015, 00:27
How about this?: Have each part on separate discs but in the same box, a la the original...

As games on the PS4 install to the disc, could SE not have each disc be able to read from the same save file as each other. So once you finish FFVII:R-1 it will say "Please insert FFVII:R-2" then you put that disc in and keep everything from the FFVII:R-1 installed file, since it reads from one save file (Save file will be huge but oh well).

The last part will install the final part of the game, but see that you have the previous parts installed and let you play the whole game as in go back to previous areas that former discs installed. E.g. Part 1 has Midgar on it but last part gives north cave though last part can let you go to Midgar since that part is already installed on the PS4 from Part 1.

Also releasing it as a digital title can navigate these Blu-ray disc issues, though I'm preferential towards retail releases.

In Short - Each disc installs each part making full game, each part reads from same save file and each others install data.

I approve of this message and also of what AlphaOmegaSin said on his Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDXClMZcvY

MouseCheeksNavidad
13th Dec 2015, 08:01

Typically when you install a game you are actually downloading the entire game to your hard drive and the disc is only used to verify that you are still in possession of the game (basically a security check) so; in reality, multiple discs of a multiple disc game should only need to be used once, just for the installation. Think of Sims 3 and all the expansion packs on PC. Do you insert all the expansion pack discs when you want to use their features, or do you just use the disc to install them once? And if you download your games off the PSN, you don't even need that as your hard drive is your limit. On PC a multiple disc program (which existed in the days of CD rom) would just pause during the install and instruct you to put in the next disc to continue.

The people at Square Enix know better. This is basic info and all the video game legends working on the FF7 remake were becoming legends at a time when all this stuff was standard. This isn't something you can easily miss. Also a blueray holds 60 gigabytes. A 60 gigabyte game is HUGE. I have doubts that there's such a thing as a 120 gigabyte game out and that's only 2 bluerays. 3 bluerays is nearly half your entire hard drive.

I'm sorry but I can't believe this is NOT a cash grab. With the way video games work nowadays, it's actually more difficult to make multiple games then just one big one, even a 200gig game. If they need to charge $100 for it then so be it. Fans are willing to pay it. But this multiple game scheme is going to do far more harm on both ends then any good.

Actually, if they did only give us Midgar at first and the rest of the game in the form of expansion packs, I don't think many people would have a problem with that. It's breaking it up in to completely separate un-connectable games that's ticking people off. And if connecting the parts is unnecessary, that fact alone is proof that you've ruined the game. You and I are not alone on this one and the sales of the FF7 remake will prove it.

What really drives me crazy here is that Square is showing all the signs of not getting it when their product does fail. Really, the company they remind me of the most is Daisy airguns and how they handled their Powerline 400 (the most accurate bb gun copy of a Desert Eagle to date. Everyone wanted them to bring it back in to production, so they did with the Powerline 400GX (same gun but with a gold frame. People demanding it bought several each, but they ignored the need to market it and advertise the fact that seals needed to be changed. So sales plummeted and it gained a bad reputation for falling apart since people didn't know they had to change seals. In the end, Daisy just assumed there was no real demand for it when there really was.

Square is showing the same sort of attitude Daisy was showing prior to that disaster, stubbornly ignoring crucial facts right in front of their face. And just like Daisy (who never again experimented with the Powerline 400 nor ever tried to educate customers about changing seals) Square will probably just assume that demand for a FF7 remake wasn't all that great after all, rather then admit to themselves that they messed up and change their ways.

Kie891997
13th Dec 2015, 17:33
Typically when you install a game you are actually downloading the entire game to your hard drive and the disc is only used to verify that you are still in possession of the game (basically a security check) so; in reality, multiple discs of a multiple disc game should only need to be used once, just for the installation. Think of Sims 3 and all the expansion packs on PC. Do you insert all the expansion pack discs when you want to use their features, or do you just use the disc to install them once? And if you download your games off the PSN, you don't even need that as your hard drive is your limit. On PC a multiple disc program (which existed in the days of CD rom) would just pause during the install and instruct you to put in the next disc to continue.

The people at Square Enix know better. This is basic info and all the video game legends working on the FF7 remake were becoming legends at a time when all this stuff was standard. This isn't something you can easily miss. Also a blueray holds 60 gigabytes. A 60 gigabyte game is HUGE. I have doubts that there's such a thing as a 120 gigabyte game out and that's only 2 bluerays. 3 bluerays is nearly half your entire hard drive.

I'm sorry but I can't believe this is NOT a cash grab. With the way video games work nowadays, it's actually more difficult to make multiple games then just one big one, even a 200gig game. If they need to charge $100 for it then so be it. Fans are willing to pay it. But this multiple game scheme is going to do far more harm on both ends then any good.

Actually, if they did only give us Midgar at first and the rest of the game in the form of expansion packs, I don't think many people would have a problem with that. It's breaking it up in to completely separate un-connectable games that's ticking people off. And if connecting the parts is unnecessary, that fact alone is proof that you've ruined the game. You and I are not alone on this one and the sales of the FF7 remake will prove it.

What really drives me crazy here is that Square is showing all the signs of not getting it when their product does fail. Really, the company they remind me of the most is Daisy airguns and how they handled their Powerline 400 (the most accurate bb gun copy of a Desert Eagle to date. Everyone wanted them to bring it back in to production, so they did with the Powerline 400GX (same gun but with a gold frame. People demanding it bought several each, but they ignored the need to market it and advertise the fact that seals needed to be changed. So sales plummeted and it gained a bad reputation for falling apart since people didn't know they had to change seals. In the end, Daisy just assumed there was no real demand for it when there really was.

Square is showing the same sort of attitude Daisy was showing prior to that disaster, stubbornly ignoring crucial facts right in front of their face. And just like Daisy (who never again experimented with the Powerline 400 nor ever tried to educate customers about changing seals) Square will probably just assume that demand for a FF7 remake wasn't all that great after all, rather then admit to themselves that they messed up and change their ways.

Exactly! Discs will be there for verification, you install the full game with multiple Blu-rays and each disc just sees what part of the game you are up to and if the disc/part can't read save data up to that point, the game will ask to put in whatever disc/part. As a standard AAA game over here in the UK costs about £45 - £60, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra year or two for the whole game to be finished instead of releasing multi-part, in order to pay a little bit extra, like £60+ so I can go home and burn through three discs or however many parts (which should be discs in one box) in a weekend.

Also the digital release is so that people who would rather play without swapping discs can.

MouseCheeksNavidad
14th Dec 2015, 12:12
No. Back in the days before game consoles had hard drives (PS2/Xbox and before) the game data was read and played off the disc as there was no hard drive to read it from. So you had to switch discs according to what part of the game you are playing it from. Nowadays the game is downloaded off the discs themselves and installed on to the machine. Typically only one disc is ever needed after that, just to prove that you are still in possession of the game. If what Square says about Data are true then what they NEED to do is exactly what EA did with The Sims 3. Release a base game and then further expansion packs as time goes on. No one has a problem with that. Separate games is what people have a problem with.

I don't know about the rest of the world but I buy games digitally primarily for security reasons. A lesson I learned the hard way as someone stole a PS3 from me. I knew who did it from day one but needed proof, so I deliberately left my account open to assist police in tracking the thief. About a year later the thief killed someone drinking and driving and got over 30 years, so I called Sony and had my account suspended. When I got another PS3 I reopened my account and lo and behold, not only was I able to re-download everything I previously purchased but whoever the thief sold my PS3 to apparently didn't understand the PSN very well and had used their own credit/debit card, gamestop cards etc. (probably gamestop as my billing address hadn't changed) to buy over $500 worth of games and DLC. Considering my PS3 was only worth $250-$300 at the time it was stolen and the other item he stole (a 9mm handgun) was eventually recovered and returned to me, I actually profited by it. I kinda feel bad for whoever bought it though. For all I know they may have been honest folks who had no idea it was stolen.

xergio
14th Dec 2015, 17:47
J'aime beaucoup Square-Enix mais décidément Square-Enix n'apprendra jamais....
La 3D serait trop compliqué a mettre en oeuvre pour permettre la réalisation du jeu avec le même contenue? les épisodes seraient obligatoire et l'impossibilité de se déplacer librement serait supprimé? Il aurait juste fallu retravailler et remodeler la 2D ou 3D isométrique avec des textures en très haute résolution (texture 4K non compressé = environnement presque photoréaliste), et laisser mais créer les combats en tour par tour en 3D plus dynamique qui explosent la rétine.. donc désolé mais 3 ou 4 bluray auraient largement suffit.

Le Remake risque d'être très très mal reçu et donc pas marcher... la réaction extraordinaire sur internet suite * l'annonce du remake n'est pas un hasard! et Square-Enix ne se pose justement pas les bonnes questions. Les joueurs sont les acheteurs...

Donc le gameplay n'aura plus aucune stratégie... et en plus le jeu restera moins accessible pour certains qui n'ont jamais été jeux action. Je me vois mal combattre une "ARME" (= super Boss) juste en cliquant comme un malade sur les boutons... pas cohérent. C* devient décevant, pourquoi tous le monde est monté au paradis suite * l'annonce de ce remake? = car nous avions tous gardé * l'esprit le gameplay et l'adrénaline! (indépendamment de la qualité graphique ou scénaristique). En effet, * chaque fois fallait prévoir des coup * l'avance! Et parfois on transpirait * savoir ce que l'ennemie allait nous balancer.

Avec ce ramake orienté "action" il n'y a plus aucun effet de surprise dans les combats... = plus du tout d'adrénaline ou pas de peur = donc plus aucune sensation de vivre l'action... Messieurs les développeurs/Editeurs vous devriez écouter les joueurs et les fans... . Ce n'est pas comme ç* que FF7 trouvera de nouveaux clients. Le tour par tour en 2016-17 peut être excellent, * condition de le moderniser pour le rendre plus dynamique ou nerveux, surtout en plus avec de superbe graphisme. Les joueurs veulent un RPG pas un jeu d'action...

Nos critiques et nos réactions montrent que nous aimons énormément FF7 et que justement ce n'est pas un hasard, cela est du en grande partie * son gameplay, nous voulons tous que ce remake soit une vrai réussite.

MouseCheeksNavidad
15th Dec 2015, 02:15
Merci Dieu pour translate mon ami français.

Cela résume. Et ils écoutent jamais ou apprendre.

kaneten
15th Dec 2015, 03:16
Tell me this sounds unrealistic or difficult to imagine: Square-Enix coming out and "explaining" (as they love to do) how there wasn't enough demand as the episodes went along, so it didn't remain feasible to finish the project because it's just toOoOoOo big and amazing. Honestly, with the way they're talking about it as if it's this IMPOSSIBLE task, this seems like the most realistic outcome.

If it is indeed episodic in a way that's going to break the flow of the game, it's broken its leg on the first hurdle, and I won't be buying into it at all. And I implore people to at least seriously consider holding off on supporting this too.

"The original was on 3 discs, so that makes sense!" I haven't seen many people say something this stupid on these forums, but it's very common on comments about this. It's obviously not the same thing at all, nor is it comparable. The original game was a single package that you bought in one transaction, and then you had the whole experience. That's it. No waiting for new content, no uncertainty regarding the future of the game... it's all there waiting for you.

The fact that more people aren't demanding a return to this way of releasing games is depressing, with pathetically complacent people saying "well that's just how it is." Yeah, but somebody's gotta be buying it, and if you are, you're a part of the problem no matter what way you look at it.

"But that means we get it sooner, so that's good." Just... consider the original. Imagine if, at the end of Disc 1, you had to wait an indefinite amount of time for the next instalment. It wouldn't work. If they're restructuring the game to allow for this format, then they're probably going to screw up the pacing of the story (a crucial element of what makes that era of FF's so exciting and epic). This "I WANT IT NOW" attitude has very obviously been detrimental to the quality of games, and it's extremely disappointing to see people are still embracing it.

If it turns out they really do mean Final Fantasy VII followed by other games in the universe, cool, but I highly doubt it. Considering Square-Enix's approach with Hitman, it's hard to be optimistic. I would also like to know what Square-Enix means by each part being a "full game", considering they're remaking a big JRPG which is the most obvious reference for size. If it's any smaller than a PS1 game released almost 20 years ago, it shouldn't be charged for full price.

I definitely won't be spending a cent on this until I know there's a full game waiting for me. It's just unfortunate to see something so highly antipated be shamelessly abused for cash like this. If a GUARANTEED SUCCESS isn't enough to make a developer get off their ass and give their fans something they actually want, why have any faith in Square-Enix in the future either?

MouseCheeksNavidad
15th Dec 2015, 03:54
Tell me this sounds unrealistic or difficult to imagine: Square-Enix coming out and "explaining" (as they love to do) how there wasn't enough demand as the episodes went along, so it didn't remain feasible to finish the project because it's just toOoOoOo big and amazing. Honestly, with the way they're talking about it as if it's this IMPOSSIBLE task, this seems like the most realistic outcome.

Xenosaga was suppose to be a several-part series. When the first two game s flopped they condensed the rest of the series in to one final game which turned out to be the only good game in the series. More then likely this is how FF7 will go. That or they'll stick to their stubborn ways and execute their full original plan. Frankly I think listening to their fans and/or making a good decision is the least likely thing to happen.

If it is indeed episodic in a way that's going to break the flow of the game, it's broken its leg on the first hurdle, and I won't be buying into it at all. And I implore people to at least seriously consider holding off on supporting this too.

he inability to keep it fluid and all the parts of the game connected like the original is why people are upset about it being episodic. There's no way existing FF7 fans are going to go for it. At least not on a massive scale.

"The original was on 3 discs, so that makes sense!" I haven't seen many people say something this stupid on these forums, but it's very common on comments about this. It's obviously not the same thing at all, nor is it comparable. The original game was a single package that you bought in one transaction, and then you had the whole experience. That's it. No waiting for new content, no uncertainty regarding the future of the game... it's all there waiting for you.

The idea of a base game covering just Midgar and the rest of the game in the form of add-ons is something I personally can sympathies and go with. In the end, you still have a full package but one that starts becoming available earlier. Having explored the problems people have with FF7 being episodic, the concerns seam to all revolve around factors that can easily be solved by using expansion packs in stead of multiple separate games. But I think the real cause for concern is the fact that they don't see any reason to NOT go episodic. The combination of free roaming and interwoven nature of FF7 that made it so special is not possible in an episodic FF7. The fact that they see no reason NOT to go episodic is proof that they have no intention of honoring this critical part of FF7's legacy.

The fact that more people aren't demanding a return to this way of releasing games is depressing, with pathetically complacent people saying "well that's just how it is." Yeah, but somebody's gotta be buying it, and if you are, you're a part of the problem no matter what way you look at it.

Game subscriptions is where I personally draw the line. DLC is a double edged sword. On one hand game makers can use and abuse it to sucker people out of cash. On the other hand, paid DLC is an increasingly effective way to encourage game developers to expand existing games perhaps further then originally intended. It also provides an avenue to allow gamers to try a game out before investing in to it. AKA Free to play games. So far I've seen more good then bad come out of paid DLC, but there will always be a few creeps who will use and abuse it.

"But that means we get it sooner, so that's good." Just... consider the original. Imagine if, at the end of Disc 1, you had to wait an indefinite amount of time for the next instalment. It wouldn't work. If they're restructuring the game to allow for this format, then they're probably going to screw up the pacing of the story (a crucial element of what makes that era of FF's so exciting and epic). This "I WANT IT NOW" attitude has very obviously been detrimental to the quality of games, and it's extremely disappointing to see people are still embracing it.

All True

If it turns out they really do mean Final Fantasy VII followed by other games in the universe, cool, but I highly doubt it. Considering Square-Enix's approach with Hitman, it's hard to be optimistic. I would also like to know what Square-Enix means by each part being a "full game", considering they're remaking a big JRPG which is the most obvious reference for size. If it's any smaller than a PS1 game released almost 20 years ago, it shouldn't be charged for full price.

The Final Fantasy franchise and success was built on Square sacrificing top of the line graphics in exchange for massive environments to adventure around in. Currently they are following the exact opposite model. Giving gamers a narrow and linear game in exchange for the latest and greatest visual graphics. This is a problem all across Japan's technology field. They're obsessing over the latest and greatest technology at the cost of reliability, usability and practicality. If you think it's just FF7, try using a Sony smart phone for a week and get back to me. The entire country is starting to suffer from Japan's obsession with this cr*p. When it comes to RPG gamers there is no middle ground between FF7 and Advent Children and this is proven in the game industry over and over again. Xenosaga again was one of the great examples of this.

I definitely won't be spending a cent on this until I know there's a full game waiting for me. It's just unfortunate to see something so highly antipated be shamelessly abused for cash like this. If a GUARANTEED SUCCESS isn't enough to make a developer get off their ass and give their fans something they actually want, why have any faith in Square-Enix in the future either?

The FF7 remake was a big hopeful and their claims to "going back to their roots" was a glimmer of hope but so far their actions have been the exact opposite. When it comes to modern tech I think Japan and their hard headed culture is a sinking ship in the tech industry and this is just further proof that Square is part of that crew.

MouseCheeksNavidad
11th Nov 2017, 20:59
Hmmm.....based on what i have been reading, it sounds like SE is listening to their fans afterall. It sounds like square is making all good decisions for a chamge. But we'll see. Here's hoping.