PDA

View Full Version : Kennard Montez / Archivio Segreto Vaticano

Valenka
6th Dec 2015, 01:09
During one of the final cutscenes of the game, as the camera zooms in on the map that Lara has on her father's desk, there's an ID badge on the side, and the photograph looks like the man that broke into Lara's mansion, attacked her and jumped out of the window with one of her father's books. The name on the badge is Kennard Montez and underneath the badge is a surveillance photo with a man's face circled in red marker with the word WHO written on the side. The ID badge also says something above the name; I can't make out all of the letters, but it says something like GRETO VATICANO. I did some research and found ARCHIVIO SEGRETO VATICANO which is The Papal Archives, which are over 400 years old.

To me, it implies that Lara may be tracking the man who broke into her manor and that could be a significant plot-point in the third game. However, it might simply be an 'Easter egg' of sorts, like the ending of Tomb Raider (2013) showed the word CROATOAN written in Lara's journal, implying that she'd be investigating Roanoke Island, when she instead continued her search for answers surrounding immortality.

Thoughts?

Treeble
6th Dec 2015, 01:15
Have you read the Ten Thousand Immortals?

Valenka
6th Dec 2015, 01:35
Have you read the Ten Thousand Immortals?

No, not yet. It's still sitting on my desk. I'm guessing that TTI has something to do with ROTTR's ending, then?

Lucacentric28
6th Dec 2015, 01:42
Nice catch! I did notice that the map in the ending cutscene appeared to be of the Yucatan Penninsula, but that seems rather obvious compared to what you saw. We definitely haven't seen the last of Trinity, that's for sure.

Treeble
6th Dec 2015, 02:14
No, not yet. It's still sitting on my desk. I'm guessing that TTI has something to do with ROTTR's ending, then?

Nope. Kennard Montez is in it, however. His badge was previously on Lara's obsession wall as well.

Valenka
6th Dec 2015, 02:24
Nice catch! I did notice that the map in the ending cutscene appeared to be of the Yucatan Penninsula, but that seems rather obvious compared to what you saw. We definitely haven't seen the last of Trinity, that's for sure.

Indeed. The word 'Honduras' is clear on the map as well, further suggesting Lara's next expedition. :D

Nope. Kennard Montez is in it, however. His badge was previously on Lara's obsession wall as well.

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll make a point to read it tonight, finally. I've had it since release and haven't even opened it yet.

Treeble
6th Feb 2016, 00:13
Now with the PC version and taking screenshots like crazy, yes -- it's definitely the same model they used for both the badge and the guy who breaks into Croft Manor. Montez was a rather important figure among the ranks of Trinity from the little I remember, but I think if they had intended to use "the guy from the book" as a nod to the supposed continuity, they could have given Lara a small line to that effect. The way she reacts doesn't make sense if they had in fact met before...

Screen caps:

http://abload.de/img/montezu7uko.png

http://abload.de/img/maybemontezpduej.png

This character model does look a tad awful lot like just a "generic thug" (and very similar in style to the thugs in the Arkham series I think? lol). I'd have to pick up the book to see if the description matches what we're looking at, but I really don't want to.

Valenka
6th Feb 2016, 01:20
Now with the PC version and taking screenshots like crazy, yes -- it's definitely the same model they used for both the badge and the guy who breaks into Croft Manor. Montez was a rather important figure among the ranks of Trinity from the little I remember, but I think if they had intended to use "the guy from the book" as a nod to the supposed continuity, they could have given Lara a small line to that effect. The way she reacts doesn't make sense if they had in fact met before...

Well, I think one of the reasons why they didn't have Lara mention anything about it is because while the in-between books and comics are canon to the narrative, not everyone has read them; they probably didn't want to throw any players off by mentioning things specifically. It was more like a nod or homage to the events of Ten Thousand Immortals; just like Lara's obsession wall in her apartment had newspaper clippings in regard to events from the texts, like the suicide in the tube for example. Either way, for the sake of continuance, it would have been suitable to have Lara offer some sort of reaction to Kennard's B&E in Croft Manor. You wouldn't know that Lara knows anything about him from that cutscene, really.

This character model does look a tad awful lot like just a "generic thug" (and very similar in style to the thugs in the Arkham series I think? lol). I'd have to pick up the book to see if the description matches what we're looking at, but I really don't want to.

Yeah, I had a similar thought. I mean, he kind of does and kind of doesn't have a generic look about him. But his face is certainly nothing worth remembering. Kennard's appearance is certainly...bland and uninteresting, especially for a potentially key character. Jacob, Ana, Konstantin, they're all distinct characters, but Kennard looks like the kind of character you could see basically anywhere and everywhere, kind of like a randomly generated NPC. :p

Either that, or that's just how he's meant to look.

Rai
6th Feb 2016, 01:32
In the book, Kennard is described as tall with an 'athletic American body' and 'well-built'. I can't find anything on hair or eye colour yet. I think this is just an easter egg for the book or they haven't finalised his look yet. He may indeed appear in the next game seeing as Lara will want that book back, and as he entered her home, it's more personal.

Valenka
6th Feb 2016, 01:39
In the book, Kennard is described as tall with an 'athletic American body' and 'well-built'. I can't find anything on hair or eye colour yet. I think this is just an easter egg for the book or they haven't finalised his look yet. He may indeed appear in the next game seeing as Lara will want that book back, and as he entered her home, it's more personal.

Well, I don't know about his height as tall is a relative term; a shoe is tall to an ant. However, his appearance does certainly look athletic. I do agree, though, I definitely think we'll be seeing him again. He is a character from Ten Thousand Immortals, he broke into Lara's home, attacked and nearly killed her and made off with a book belonging to her father. Lara will not let that go unpunished!