PDA

View Full Version : Deep Dive: Voice Free "Ping" System

Psyonix_Ryan
1st Dec 2015, 23:58
ICYMI: Blog-version (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/deep-dive-voice-free-ping-system)
--

Whether you are solving mundane problems in real life or hunting your enemies online, communication is the key to success. Since we first introduced you to the war for Nosgoth, players have been able to coordinate their attacks through in-game text and voice chat functions. However, either of these options can ultimately limit the ways in which the global playerbase can work together. With our latest communication system to the game, we aim to overcome that barrier and bring everyone together in a bigger way.

The Ping system (formerly known as Voice Free) is a new way for players in Nosgoth to let their team know about opportunities, or impending doom, on the fly. With the addition of a new ping button, players can broadcast their current target to the rest of their team or select from several pre-set responses to give additional information.

The default way of communicating is through contextual commands. Based on your specific circumstances, a custom announcement is made based on your location, objective, or player target (ally or enemy).

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/670/blog/blog-20context-20marker.jpg

Location: If no relevant targets are selected, a ping will appear on the minimap for your team, indicating where you are.
Players: If an enemy or an ally is targeted, that player will be briefly highlighted in game and their last known location will ping on the map. For allies, there map icon will flash for several seconds.
Ally/Enemy: If an enemy or an ally player is targeted, that player will be briefly highlighted in-game while a text announcement is made to the team. While an enemy will have their last known location ping on the map, an ally will have their map icon highlighted for several seconds.
Objectives: If an objective is targeted, it will be highlighted briefly both in-game and on the minimap. Additionally, a message will be sent to the team to attack, defend, or capture it.

The above functions are in our current Phase 1 release. We are currently investigating the following contextual command for a possible implementation:

Corpses and Health Stations: If a Corpse or a Health Station is targeted, it will be briefly highlighted in game. For Corpses, a message will broadcast indicating that a player has food. If the Corpse is moved, the highlight will move with it. For Health Stations, the location will be briefly highlighted while it is announced that a player is on their way to use a supply station.

In addition to the contextual commands, there are several specific commands that you can issue to your team via keyboard commands.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/671/blog/blog-20specific-20marker.jpg

Need Help/Need Healing: The player will be briefly highlighted in-game and on the map, while a message will indicate which player needs assistance.
Follow Me: Player will be highlighted in-game and on the map, while a message will broadcast that they want others to follow them.
In Position: A message broadcasts the the player is in position and ready.
On Cooldown: A message will broadcast that a player is waiting on their cooldowns to finish.
On The Way: A message will broadcast that a player is on the way.

With these new methods of communication, you’ll now have even more tools at your disposal to climb the Ranked Ladder or simply coordinate in the next round of Capture the Body. We’re looking forward to your feedback on the new Ping system, so be sure to let us know what you think!

Da_Wolv
2nd Dec 2015, 09:12
Why you went ahead and made Solo Leagues happen before this feature was a thing is beyond me, but I can appreciate that its at least coming now.
This is a much needed addition! Thanks

Oghamsmith
2nd Dec 2015, 10:36
Biased opinion here,

The first time I took part in a playtest with the first phase of this implementation, my word I left the room with a grin from ear to ear. It was a ton of fun. The context sensitive ping is extremely useful and easy to pick up. The specific commands are slightly more complex to execute (they're similar to v-says from other games - press v and then 1,2,3,4 or 5 to choose the specific command), but shouldn't take too long to nail down.

Vampmaster
2nd Dec 2015, 10:59
Biased opinion here,

The first time I took part in a playtest with the first phase of this implementation, my word I left the room with a grin from ear to ear. It was a ton of fun. The context sensitive ping is extremely useful and easy to pick up. The specific commands are slightly more complex to execute (they're similar to v-says from other games - press v and then 1,2,3,4 or 5 to choose the specific command), but shouldn't take too long to nail down.

This all looks really useful, although I'd have to try it out before I can give much feedback. Will it be possible to map any shortcuts to single keys? For example, the digital direction buttons on the gamepad aren't really used much (AFAIK, only the analog stick is used for movement), so I'd like to map four of the specific commands to the digital up, down, left, right buttons.

Oghamsmith
2nd Dec 2015, 11:14
This all looks really useful, although I'd have to try it out before I can give much feedback. Will it be possible to map any shortcuts to single keys? For example, the digital direction buttons on the gamepad aren't really used much (AFAIK, only the analog stick is used for movement), so I'd like to map four of the specific commands to the digital up, down, left, right buttons.

At the moment, I'm not sure, I would need to check the build but it's not available to me today. Given that it's a nested menu system for the specific call outs, I don't think they're individually rebindable at the moment. I do need to confirm that though.

Da_Wolv
2nd Dec 2015, 11:38
For this point I think players should not be highlighted; rather just indicated by a google-maps style pin. If they are highlighted, every vampire could just stay completely out of sight expect for one, who pops out and spams the respective key for a fraction of a second, before dropping back into hiding. Having highlighted all humans, every vampire knows exactly where what kind of human is where and which direction they're looking, which is a bit too much - position of a human of undisclosed class is enough..

Maybe have a cooldown on player targeted pings?

Vampmaster
2nd Dec 2015, 12:19
I still find it frustrating that player names shrink to nothing when I spawn too far away from my team. Would it be possible to either limit the amount that they can shrink by or maybe temporarily enlarge the names to full size whenever they ping you with their location? Could be instead of the highlight or as well. Probably best to get the ping system tested in public first.

@xSanBro, I'm pretty sure they said it would only show last known positions (i.e. The position at the frame when the user pressed the ping button) rather than having the outline travel to match the enemy player.

BTW, I'd hope the ping system is restricted to TDM and not League/ESL while testing.

Oghamsmith
2nd Dec 2015, 12:47
Looks really good!

For this point I think players should not be highlighted; rather just indicated by a google-maps style pin. If they are highlighted, every vampire could just stay completely out of sight expect for one, who pops out and spams the respective key for a fraction of a second, before dropping back into hiding. Having highlighted all humans, every vampire knows exactly where what kind of human is where and which direction they're looking, which is a bit too much - position of a human of undisclosed class is enough.
That diminishes what was left of the chipping possibility or bearings where the vampires might come from for humans.
This would become increasingly crazy, if the outline travels with the highlighted player. Also highlighting should not be possible with shriek through walls.

Other than that I hope there will also be auditive cues be attached to the commands. The chat will get so crowded that commands might just drown in there. I certainly don't watch the chat during a fight. Those auditive cues should also be voiced in the respective class's voice, so that I know immediately "the deceiver is the one that needs help".
It's possible that things have changed since I had a chance to play with the system, however at the time the context sensitive ping could only be pinged twice in quick succession before being placed on a short cooldown. That prevents all 4 members from being pinged at once by an individual.

As for highlights. I'm glad to see you raise these points, it'll be interesting to see how you feel about them once you've had a chance to test the system in the wild. I was still trying to get to grips with the specific callouts during the session, so I wasn't looking at highlights in a great deal of depth, but they don't last very long. The static beam of light is much more prominent and lasts a lot longer, so that was my main point of focus. It's possible that the highlights are short enough to mitigate most of those concerns.

Maybe have a cooldown on player targeted pings?
It's like you've read our minds :P.

I still find it frustrating that player names shrink to nothing when I spawn too far away from my team. Would it be possible to either limit the amount that they can shrink by or maybe temporarily enlarge the names to full size whenever they ping you with their location? Could be instead of the highlight or as well. Probably best to get the ping system tested in public first. The main problem here is that you don't want player names to obfuscate the action taking place around you. It's damn annoying if they start to get in the way. Finding the right balance is an issue that plenty of games struggle with. It would be interesting to see what others feel about this, as I haven't really seen many complaints about the size of names.

@xSanBro, I'm pretty sure they said it would only show last known positions (i.e. The position at the frame when the user pressed the ping button) rather than having the outline travel to match the enemy player.

BTW, I'd hope the ping system is restricted to TDM and not League/ESL while testing.
Pinging will go live across the board when it's rolled out. While there is the potential for organised groups to use this extremely effectively, the beneficial impact to individual players should be considerably larger all things considered.

Ysanoire
2nd Dec 2015, 14:42
Sounds like a good system. "Follow me", "I need healing", "I have food" and "I'm on cooldowns" are the exact things that I find myself in need to express most often. Looking forward to testing it.

perpetualodium
2nd Dec 2015, 18:42
I'm looking forward to this system. For some reason the audio quality for the game's voice chat system is pretty bad. I don't know if it's just latency, but everyone sounds muffled and shaky. I might make a post about it.

Ygdrasel
2nd Dec 2015, 22:27
Sounds good. Especially the ones relevant to feeding.