PDA

View Full Version : Summoners Devourer?

Raptr0s
1st Dec 2015, 23:53
" While permanently resurrecting a necromantic construct was beyond their capabilities, the Melchahim were able to briefly weaken the barriers between the worlds and let Ghouls – the packs of Stalkers, hulking Slayers and cannibalistic Devourers - through to feast."

Took this from the Summoner Lore tab.

Any idea if we'll ever see a Devourer?

Ygdrasel
2nd Dec 2015, 05:26
Been wanting new ghouls forever. Nobody uses the Slayer. It's all quite dull.

ParadoxicalOmen
2nd Dec 2015, 23:42
" While permanently resurrecting a necromantic construct was beyond their capabilities, the Melchahim were able to briefly weaken the barriers between the worlds and let Ghouls – the packs of Stalkers, hulking Slayers and cannibalistic Devourers - through to feast."

Took this from the Summoner Lore tab.

Any idea if we'll ever see a Devourer?

Tis a good point, m'lord...where art these foul devourers?

Ygdrasel
3rd Dec 2015, 04:14
One wonders how "cannibalistic" tendencies might manifest. Perhaps they would have great strength, health, speed or something (or some combo thereof) but be prone to in-fighting if cast too far from a target.

High risk-reward, y'know. High damage and/or chaos potential but you've got to get in real close, risking personal injury to keep them targeted.

Raptr0s
3rd Dec 2015, 23:06
@Ygdrasel

That'd certainly be unique.

It probably wouldn't fit the description, but I always had an idea of a ghoul that debuffs rather than directly harms a human.

Anyways...

I love the Slayer. I honestly think he's better, especially if used in chaos and now that he actually connects his attacks.

I mean, two hits is a whopping 150. I've honestly gotten more kills with the Slayer, I don't think my stalkers have ever killed anyone.

All I wish is that he had his 550 HP back.

ParadoxicalOmen
4th Dec 2015, 01:45
One wonders how "cannibalistic" tendencies might manifest. Perhaps they would have great strength, health, speed or something (or some combo thereof) but be prone to in-fighting if cast too far from a target.

High risk-reward, y'know. High damage and/or chaos potential but you've got to get in real close, risking personal injury to keep them targeted.

Perhaps a higher damage version of the stalkers? But with the trade-off that they target you, so you can't use them for shielding (like with Stalkers)

Ygdrasel
4th Dec 2015, 04:25
It probably wouldn't fit the description, but I always had an idea of a ghoul that debuffs rather than directly harms a human.

I'd once thought there could be a Wraith ghoul that applies a small DoT while in range of its target (visually, picture SR's vampire wraiths sucking Raziel's soul) but maybe rather than DoT, it could keep a debuff on the target while in range.

@Paradox: Doesn't quite align with 'cannibalistic'. Stalkers aren't exactly great shielding anyway, are they? Downed in a couple Alch shots or an exploding arrow. It'd also encourage the Summoner to stay out of range themselves (due to being targeted by their own ghouls) which is a nuisance already - hence the 'stay close to mind them or they'll just kill each other' idea to discourage that instead.

Passarbye
8th Dec 2015, 18:51
Maybe the wraiths from SR1 could be revived in this game? (still a wraith, just bring him to the game)
I'd love to see an HD version of it.
I like the debuff idea, because we've honestly got too many sources of damage going on and less debuffs/buffs to the character roster as a whole.
Personally, I think the game should be slowed down about 25% so that A: you don't die as quickly and B: the games last longer (but still 10 minute rounds) with more action.

Raptr0s
8th Dec 2015, 21:16
@Ygdrasel

You know what'd be REALLY annoying?

What about a summon that had 500 to 600Hp, did zero damage, but if he flys close to you, he slows you to a crawl.

I mean like really close, like touching close. After he gets close to you, your dodge distance, run+sprint speed all get cut in half, give or take.

You can also give him a specific target, so you can slow down the most damaged enemy in the group.

Eh?

@Passarbye

Personally, I'd object to your second suggestion. I do enjoy the fast pace of Nosgoth, especially at higher level play.

But your first suggestion, yes, I'd love to see wraiths come back in some form.

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 21:22
Maybe the wraiths from SR1 could be revived in this game? (still a wraith, just bring him to the game)
I'd love to see an HD version of it.

The wraith itself can't be brought to the game. They're exclusively spectral creatures. Unless you're referring to revived vampires, wraiths reinhabiting flesh...

You don't die as quickly by getting better at survival. And the games don't even last their full ten minutes with the new way match-ending is automated. :(

Raptr0s
8th Dec 2015, 23:30
Sluagh summon confirmed.

No but seriously, a revived vampire summon would be cool.

Or even a skin or class...

But doesn't the summoner pull the stalkers and slayers from the spectral realm, while granting them a body in the process?

I thought the idea was that she pulled spectral creatures from their realm, and granted them weakened bodies with a limited power. Once the power dies, the body goes lifeless and the spectral creature goes back to the spectral realm.

If so, you could really summon anything from that realm, and wraiths don't seem too farfetched

Ygdrasel
10th Dec 2015, 05:02
Sluagh summon confirmed.

No but seriously, a revived vampire summon would be cool.

Or even a skin or class...

But doesn't the summoner pull the stalkers and slayers from the spectral realm, while granting them a body in the process?

I thought the idea was that she pulled spectral creatures from their realm, and granted them weakened bodies with a limited power. Once the power dies, the body goes lifeless and the spectral creature goes back to the spectral realm.

If so, you could really summon anything from that realm, and wraiths don't seem too farfetched

The ghouls are the product of spectral fauna merged with Melchahim souls which, having existed on the material plane for some great time, are presumably easy to pull through. And being former Melchahim, easy to ally with (hence they're never attacking vampires). The stalkers and slayers are not natural spectral wildlife but abominations of nature, given direction by the Melchahim component and relentless hunting instinct by the spectral fauna component.

One could certainly in theory create a ghoul with powers akin to a vamp wraith - presumably just by mixing in a larger portion of Melchahim to imbue that vampiric hunger. I may have just interpreted the terms too literally (I do that sometimes) as if you were calling for just an outright return of SR's vamp wraiths inexplicably free in the material plane.

Ygdrasel
11th Dec 2015, 22:11
What about a summon that had 500 to 600Hp, did zero damage, but if he flys close to you, he slows you to a crawl.

I mean like really close, like touching close. After he gets close to you, your dodge distance, run+sprint speed all get cut in half, give or take.

You can also give him a specific target, so you can slow down the most damaged enemy in the group.

A very interesting idea. And coincidental:

While perusing this thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=184279), I had an idea:

Perhaps the Devourerer could inhabit a corpse risen from the land when it's summoned (think Raziel's shifting-to-material animation ala Defiance), with the 'cannibalistic' aspect being due to its choice of vessel (which ought to be mutated some degree from the possession, bringing it visually in line with other ghouls).

Given that it's a re-animated mutant human corpse, one imagines it would be decidedly terrifying so its effect could be a morale drop (manifested gameplay-wise as the 50/50 debuff you mention) that affects multiple targets in a given radius. No direct health damage, of course.

Raptr0s
17th Dec 2015, 21:08
I rather like that idea.

I'd love to see reanimated humans, malformed and twisted with evil, lurching around the map, gargling and groaning at the baffled humans.

Ygdrasel
18th Dec 2015, 23:24
I rather like that idea.

I'd love to see reanimated humans, malformed and twisted with evil, lurching around the map, gargling and groaning at the baffled humans.

Exactly! Defiance had humans and other things reanimated and twisted and they were great to see. They'd be the only ghouls with legs though so the whole getting-caught-on-stairs thing would absolutely need to be ironed out.

OM3GA-Z3RO
19th Dec 2015, 16:24
Maybe Devourer's should be able to Lifesteal when they score a hit on the enemy human, but they should have less health than the Slayer and less damage than the Slayer so it won't outshine the Slayer's uses

Ygdrasel
19th Dec 2015, 22:33
Maybe Devourer's should be able to Lifesteal when they score a hit on the enemy human, but they should have less health than the Slayer and less damage than the Slayer so it won't outshine the Slayer's uses

They'd probably be dead before the lifesteal could make any difference.

OM3GA-Z3RO
20th Dec 2015, 18:22
Sorry, lemme rephrase it, "Be able to Lifesteal for the Summoner." every time the Devourer scores a hit, it heals the Summoner by a X% of the damage dealt.

Ygdrasel
20th Dec 2015, 23:17
Sorry, lemme rephrase it, "Be able to Lifesteal for the Summoner." every time the Devourer scores a hit, it heals the Summoner by a X% of the damage dealt.

Ahhh. That'd be an interesting ghoul to have. Though I wouldn't have it as the Devourer (really ought to showcase the 'cannibal' aspect on that one), it'd certainly be a welcome new addition to the options.

While this particular thread is focused on Devourer, the summoning aspect of the class ought to be the focus with many different types of ghouls. 4-5, at least. Might call that one the Leech. And with less health, making optimal use of its function would require getting in close first which is something Summoners seem rarely motivated to do in battle.

Raptr0s
13th Jan 2016, 20:33
I'd like to see the Slayers 550 HP back, since he's just one lone target...

What about a flying/hovering summon to mix it up a bit?

I'd imagine a little, nasty bat/dragon-like creature that flutters around a target, spitting some kind of acid, or shooting bone-like spines at the target until it dies, or it's target does.

Perhaps they'd be like flying Stalkers, so to speak. Two small ones with low damage and HP, then have a big summon as well?

They'd probably do less damage than their melee counterparts, since they're ranged and all.

Perhaps.... what if the devourer is ONLY good with teamwork?

You know how the Prophet has abilities that are only useful if she has a teammate to cast it on?

What if the devourer eats OTHER summons, and gets buffed that way?

Perhaps he'll attack the closest summon, and once buffed, he rushes the nearest human.

Give him a much longer lifespan, and buffs accordingly and it'd be a very interesting summon.

What if he gets buffed for the amount of damage he inflicts on you/teammates?

+ X% Hp/Damage/ Movespeed in accordance to X% damage done to teammates?

Eh?

Ygdrasel
13th Jan 2016, 23:52
What if the devourer eats OTHER summons, and gets buffed that way?

Then the ability would only ever be useful if you specifically coordinated with another player to run a second (or more) Summoner.
Doesn't sound so good then in practice.

A summon that gets stronger as it inflicts damage could be very interesting. Particularly if you could catch a human alone - then assuming the ghoul survives, it'd be that much stronger when it met the rest.