PDA

View Full Version : General forum use observations

RicknMel
30th Jun 2002, 17:40
Hello Taffers, I'm finally settling in here, and discovering all the "bells-n-whistles" of our new home. I thought I would share a few tidbits I found pretty neat. Maybe these are "old news" to most of you, but I'll share 'em anyways.

When I started here, I made my shortcut go right to the "Crippled Burrick" forum. But then there's alot of clicking I have to do to check into the different forums. So by doing a little playing around I found that the best way to set this place up is as follows (for me anyways)
[list=1]
Make your shortcut go directly to your "User CP"
"Subscribe" to the Thief forums. (or whatever forums you might want to visit regularly)
"Subscribe" to any threads you really want to know when someone replies to it
[/list=1]

Then when you click on your "shortcut" or "favorite" or "bookmark" (depending on what browser you use) you will go to your "User CP" which will automatically show:
[list=A]
Only the forums you are interested in
Any Private Messages you may have waiting
Which of your "Buddies" are on-line
Any replies that may be in any threads that you have subscribed to
[/list=A]

I'm sure there's more ways to personalize this place, but so far, I like what I've seen more and more. Feel free to add any other discoveries in this thread that may be of interest to us "noobs" lacking net experience.

Oh...One more thing I really like!! The time can be set to be "my time" :D

Thorin Oakenshield
30th Jun 2002, 21:58
Thanks Rick.
I'll have a play around myself. When I subscribed though I got 12 emails within a minute as peep's posted:D

Gumdrop
30th Jun 2002, 22:00
Edit: Looks like I can get in now. The trouble is I've forgotten what I was going to say. :o

Further edit: Oh yeah...I noticed the option for a choice of fonts, but no Thief font. :(

RicknMel
30th Jun 2002, 22:55
Thorin
When I "subscribe", I don't get any emails. (I have that option turned off in my user preferences). "Subscribing" only places them in my User CP for me. Nothing more.

Gummie
Where was the option for fonts?
Doh! Just as I typed that, I looked up. Never mind. :p

RicknMel
1st Jul 2002, 00:55
The only forums I have subscribed to are the 4 Thief forums.
But I want the Crippled Burrick to be the top one. It keeps putting it in the 2nd slot. (I assume it may be using alphabetical order??)

Anyways....Is there a way to make the Crippled Burrick the top one on the list?

DJC
1st Jul 2002, 05:25
Originally posted by Gumdrop
Further edit: Oh yeah...I noticed the option for a choice of fonts, but no Thief font. :(

That is because for everyone to see the thief font they would have to have it installed, which not everyone does.

<font face="Comic sans MS">Besides you have always been able to change the font ;)</font><small>Will work for Windows users only cos its a Windows font :p</small>

Stile451
1st Jul 2002, 08:30
Rick, why oh why are you making me download 7.7 kb for that tiny picture, wasting precious microseconds.

You do know that it will eventually kill me, don't you? :tryingtolookserious: :p

Seriously, it can be much smaller size(both 515 bytes).
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/rickstat2.png
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/rickstat.png
These keep with the old forum colors, and you have 3 more posts than the current one.

Zaccheus
1st Jul 2002, 12:24
You can now link to specific posts, not just threads, on this board.

Go to this post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=5457#post5457)
:)

Zaccheus
1st Jul 2002, 12:28
Also, if you post something and immediately edit that post, it will not be highlighted as having been edited.

yubetcha
1st Jul 2002, 12:43
When I edit my posts, it says "Last edited by yubetcha on 07-01-2002 at 04:01 AM".

Peter_Smith
1st Jul 2002, 13:25
Same with me. But maybe I have not been fast enough to avoid it. The cool thing is that you can edit several times and there is only one edit message. No more having to delete the previous ones.

Test edit.

This avoided the message the first time (and the second).

DJC
1st Jul 2002, 14:17
with vBulletin you have an allowed time to edit posts before the "Edited appears at the bottom.
IIRC it is either 2 or 5 minutes
:)

BrokenArts
1st Jul 2002, 14:53
This is one option that I really like, being able to preview my posts before hand. Change is good. :)