PDA

View Full Version : Nosgoth State of Play: November 2015

Psyonix_Ryan
1st Dec 2015, 03:46
With November wrapping up and continuously morphing into the holiday season marathon, we’re going to take a moment to look at the future of Nosgoth.

In case you missed it, here is everything that has happened since the last State of Play (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-state-of-play-october-2015). As November started, we announced Beta Season 3.0 (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/beta-league-season-3-0-is-underway-10-000-play-with-a-friend) of Nosgoth Leagues. In addition to the $10,000 prize pool, players were able to queue up with a friend to compete against other duos and solo players. We also took a closer look at the early standings (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/top-5-beta-league-3-0-week-1-update) for the latest season as well as the new Vanguard shield available for everyone that finishes in the Blood or Eternal tiers.

Later in the month, we addressed some concerns about unsportsmanlike behavior (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/fighting-with-honour-nosgoth-leagues) in Nosgoth, as well as how to report cheaters and toxic players. Additionally, we took an in-depth look at the new Season 2 weapon variants (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/deep-dive-series-2-weapons), with all of the stats you’ve been looking for. Boasts made their way into the game, allowing both Humans and Vampires the chance to taunt (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/a-flair-for-the-dramatic-boasts) to their heart’s content. Finally, we took a closer look at the Sacred and the Profane (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/the-sacred-and-the-profane) in the land of Nosgoth, diving deep into the Legacy of Kain lore.

Now, without further ado, he’s what’s coming up in the world of Nosgoth.

ONGOING - Voice Free Communication

Development on the new Voice Free communication system is wrapping up shortly, and we’re excited to get your feedback on it! Before we set it loose on the masses, we wanted to share an introductory blog post that goes over the functions, as well as how it looks.

Keep an eye out for that update this December.

ONGOING - New Map

After a brief hiatus from the State of Play, we’re ready to show off a bit more of our latest map. Formerly a site of great importance to humanity, the land has fallen to Clan Zephonim. Soon, the vampiric and human armies will face off for control of this twisted shrine.

Here’s your latest glimpse at our upcoming map:

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/668/blog/november-20blog-20map-201.jpg

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/669/blog/november-20blog-20map-202.jpg

ONGOING - Bug fixes

As we move toward our final release, to bring Nosgoth out of Early Access, we’ve been focusing more effort on fixing bugs that have come up. There are still more to go, but over the past month alone we have taken care of a number of issues:

Fixed pre-game crash and disconnects.
Streamlined Store searches to only show relevant gear for a specific class.
Improved overall performance for The Crucible.
Post-death damage counts toward overall damage score.
Bug fixes to the League UI tab to show updated information for players joined, position in ladder, and visual tweaks.
League matches wait until all players are loaded in; players with a slower connection, rejoice!

We have more fixes coming this week and in the weeks to come, including that nasty Abyssal Bolt

DECEMBER 2015 - Developer Interviews

Starting in December, our Meet the Developer posts will be making a comeback! We spoke to various members of the development team at Psyonix to get to know them better, find out how they got their start, and see where we can find their work in the game. From programming, animation, and audio, we cover them all to bring you a behind-the-scene peek at the development of Nosgoth!

TBA - More On The Way

Even though we are in Early Access and rounding the corner toward the full release, that doesn't mean we're done just yet. There are still a few things that we are working on, so don't be surprised if an unmentioned topic appears on the blog in the future.

Oh, and before we forget; if you have any Nosgoth-centric art to share, be it a picture, video, or even a radio drama, be sure to share it with us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/nosgoth) with #NosgothBlog.

--
And that'll do it -- another instalment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? Then let us know right here in these Steam-like forums.

perpetualodium
1st Dec 2015, 04:24
New map looks awesome. Is there a new league starting on the 3rd?

Ygdrasel
1st Dec 2015, 04:31
Still no Rahabim...Boo.

Couldn't care less about new leagues. Any word yet on chests not being garbage?

Map's looking good. Hoping it can capture the sort of insect hive webby grossness that the Silenced Cathedral had. Such a depiction would benefit greatly from modern technology going into it.

KaininitePriestess
1st Dec 2015, 04:49
Oh man, those screenshots totally remind me of the Silenced Cathedral, YES GOOD! It makes my skin crawl and makes me cackle at the same time! :gamer:

Gugulug5000
1st Dec 2015, 06:32
The new map is coming along nicely. I'm hoping they will go for some unique music that is reminiscent of the music of the Silenced Cathedral in Soul Reaver (you guys should also make unique music for the Crucible too while you're at it).

Here's hoping that the "new, unmentioned topic" appearing in the future is the Rahabim (or the new human class, either one).

Ygdrasel
1st Dec 2015, 06:37
The new map is coming along nicely. I'm hoping they will go for some unique music that is reminiscent of the music of the Silenced Cathedral in Soul Reaver (you guys should also make unique music for the Crucible too while you're at it).

Oh, that reminds me: The Crucible needs theme music! Yes! I'm still not even sure if the maps have music. They must, right? I can't ever seem to recall any...Strangest thing...

KaininitePriestess
1st Dec 2015, 07:06
Yup, the maps have their own unique music, though they haven't had a chance to implement music for the Crucible. It borrows music from the Fane map. I figure if they haven't had a chance to get another track written and recorded by the time they release the Silenced Cathedral, then they'll probably do the same thing there.

CountEyokir
1st Dec 2015, 08:08
Oh, and before we forget; if you have any Nosgoth-centric art to share, be it a picture, video, or even a radio drama, be sure to share it with us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/nosgoth) with #NosgothBlog.

Do believe that's my cue to do shameless plugins promoting the work being done

xt47Gn_VCeU

JnM7gVsrhaU

And yes - agreed. The Crucible and the Silenced Cathedral map do need to have their own unique music. Something inspired by these-

ADxqd1AJBgk

NytW7ewg6lA

Zarxiel93
1st Dec 2015, 08:36
This state of play was quite disapointing, the only thing really interesting was the new map (I really like the images, I'm quite sure is the Silent Cathedral) and I hope the unmentioned topic is about the Rahabim.

Vampmaster
1st Dec 2015, 08:36
I'm getting really worried about the lack of Rahabim now that release is being talked about. Will they still be a possibility afterwards or is work on new features starting to come to an end? Kain had six kids and they all need a clan in the game.

They have been mentioned ages ago even though no into has been given on whether work has started yet.

To put it another way; What scale of content is likely after release? Will development on new maps and classes continue, just skins and weapons or will be be stuck with what we already have?

KaininitePriestess
1st Dec 2015, 09:07
They're definitely going to have the Rahabim, the devs just said they were having a harder time figuring out how to incorporate them, so they were doing them last.

Vampmaster
1st Dec 2015, 10:14
They're definitely going to have the Rahabim, the devs just said they were having a harder time figuring out how to incorporate them, so they were doing them last.

That was a passing remark from almost a year ago. I'd hardly call that confirmed considering how priorities get shuffled about and pushed back all the time and it's hard to tell if the game is making enough profit to continue for a long enough time since that info is private. Development is going very slow and unless a lot is being held back for full release, I'd expect it to be even slowed after release. Release is normally feature complete for the most part in games I've played and games I've developed.

CountEyokir
1st Dec 2015, 11:08
That was a passing remark from almost a year ago. I'd hardly call that confirmed considering how priorities get shuffled about and pushed back all the time and it's hard to tell if the game is making enough profit to continue for a long enough time since that info is private. Development is going very slow and unless a lot is being held back for full release, I'd expect it to be even slowed after release. Release is normally feature complete for the most part in games I've played and games I've developed.

Yeah I've kinda noticed that substantive updates have all but vanished lately. The Rahabim are such a big one for them to do that the idea of them not doing it...seems insane. If the Rahabim don't appear, they'd have a riot on their hands.

Passarbye
1st Dec 2015, 19:59
Really looking forward to the new map, the screenshots look great. Would also like to at least see some concept art for the rahabim, nothing has even been mentioned about them for a while now. New abilities for current classes would also be a good game-changer, which is needed at this point.

Ygdrasel
1st Dec 2015, 21:06
is work on new features starting to come to an end?

That would just be an awful decision in any case. Without new features, games like this stagnate and die. We still only have one consistent game mode...

Psyonix_Ryan
1st Dec 2015, 21:17

Oh you caught that, did ya? :D

kLauE187
1st Dec 2015, 21:54
Can't wait to test the new map in ESL. Finally a little bit more variety.

-Shiro-
1st Dec 2015, 22:41
Disappointed by this state of play too, except for the map - which will be great for sure. It would have been nice to have a preview and/or an announcement about the prophet and vanguard elite skins, for example ;)

About the fixes : are the deceiver footsteps sounds bug, abyssal bolt and incoming vampire abilities sound clues (sentinels and tyrants) on the top of your list ?

GenFeelGood
2nd Dec 2015, 00:03
@Vampmaster
I also hope they intend to at least have the Rahabim clan/class (and possibly the final human faction/class) out before that happens.

Devs, we know you can't really give specifics just yet; but could you just say if you expect the Rahabim to be out before the game is fully released?

-Also the map looks awesome, I might actually like going through it now more than when I went through it in Soul Reaver.

Oghamsmith
2nd Dec 2015, 12:19
New map looks awesome. Is there a new league starting on the 3rd?
Glad read that you're liking what you're seeing :). League will be back very soon, we're looking at bringing it back online on the 15th. This weekend, we're running a Flashpoint event. It's been a while :).

xt47Gn_VCeU

JnM7gVsrhaU

And yes - agreed. The Crucible and the Silenced Cathedral map do need to have their own unique music. Something inspired by these-

ADxqd1AJBgk

NytW7ewg6lA

Awesome work mate, really enjoy your stuff :).

I'm getting really worried about the lack of Rahabim now that release is being talked about. Will they still be a possibility afterwards or is work on new features starting to come to an end? Kain had six kids and they all need a clan in the game.

They have been mentioned ages ago even though no into has been given on whether work has started yet.

To put it another way; What scale of content is likely after release? Will development on new maps and classes continue, just skins and weapons or will be be stuck with what we already have?

Given that Nosgoth is a Free to Play game, it sits in a slightly different paradigm to regular boxed $60 games. We will absolutely continue to bring updates and additions to Nosgoth after its launch :). As for the scale of the content. Well, we're not quite ready to talk about that just yet; but you're right, I see no reason why Nosgoth's current class roster should end where it currently is :).

Release was feature complete for $60 boxed games for the longest time, you're right. For free to play games, that precedent isn't anywhere near as solidly entrenched (which is a good thing imo, I'm a big fan of constantly evolving games). Hell, even boxed console games are beginning to see relatively large feature updates post-launch these days. We very much want to continue to evolve Nosgoth post launch where possible :).

Disappointed by this state of play too, except for the map - which will be great for sure. It would have been nice to have a preview and/or an announcement about the prophet and vanguard elite skins, for example ;)

About the fixes : are the deceiver footsteps sounds bug, abyssal bolt and incoming vampire abilities sound clues (sentinels and tyrants) on the top of your list ?
A little vampire bat told me that we might have something on the new Vanguard skin soon ;).

As for the bugs. Work is underway on abyssal bolt, so that fix is coming along nicely. The Deceiver footsteps bug has been raised, but we're having difficulty replicating it, which makes identifying the cause quite difficult. If anyone has any has experienced any way to increase the likelihood of it happening, please PM the steps to me. Equally if anyone is recording or has shadowplay enabled while it happens to them, getting some footage of it occurring could be extremely beneficial. If you do manage to capture some footage, please feel free to fire it my way via PM.