PDA

View Full Version : Why can't new players choose their beginner classes?

enkaku-silence-
29th Nov 2015, 18:00
A few weeks ago Blizzard announced that their arena shooter Overwatch was not Free2Play like many gamers expected. The reason: Changing classes during the game is important and it would be unfair if not all players have access to all classes and abilities.

Nosgoth kind of has the same problem. The more classes you have access to, the better you can react to the enemie's loadout.
Now it is okay and understandable that Nosgoth is Free2Play, but I can imagine New Recruit is lacking diversity and is full of the standard classes.

When I was in New Recruit back in the days there were only 6 or even 4 classes at all (early Alpha). You kind of started to know the few existing classes, there wasn't much to chose from and every month there was a new class or ability that you had to learn to use and avoid like everybody else.

I think new players should have two class tokens from the start (Reaver and Hunter can stay standard), need to play the (still aweful) tutorial first and can then chose which class to start with.

This would bring more diversity to New Recruit, more time to learn the different classes and abilities before going to play TDM (with airsick Sentinels and Deceivers that want to be humans) and more fun.

I know it also could cause people to be kind of overwhelmed by the possibilities, but what do you guys think about the idea?
Would it cause more or less frustration? Does it make sense from the economic perspective?

Ygdrasel
29th Nov 2015, 20:48
The standard classes are enough for new recruits, I think.

Kootkha
30th Nov 2015, 02:20
I don't like this turn of speech "standart classes" at all(as I don't like when people are talking about "my main class", sounds really strange as if it was mmorpg) . Like if there was a kind of standart and others are not conform to it. There is no standart, they all are different and suits to different situations, good player should use them all depends on situation. I fully agreed with enkaku, I think it's a great idea to get a diversify option to the newers . Still I think that tutorial should work in a bit another way. It should force player to complete it before going in match. It would be good thing if it starts after the class-token was used.

Raptr0s
30th Nov 2015, 03:18
Because Hunter and Alchemist are rather basic and easy to understand.

Imagine if someone chose Vanguard as the starting class. Sheesh, that'd be a rough learning curve.

KaininitePriestess
30th Nov 2015, 04:56
Like Raptros said, the Hunter, Alchemist, Reaver, and Tyrant are good, basic classes that give you a chance to learn the mechanics without having to deal with things like the awkward flying mechanic you're faced with when you first start playing Sentinel, or the slow lumbering nature of the Vanguard compared to the other humans.

Ygdrasel
30th Nov 2015, 05:51
I don't like this turn of speech "standart classes" at all(as I don't like when people are talking about "my main class", sounds really strange as if it was mmorpg) . Like if there was a kind of standart and others are not conform to it. There is no standart, they all are different and suits to different situations, good player should use them all depends on situation. I fully agreed with enkaku, I think it's a great idea to get a diversify option to the newers . Still I think that tutorial should work in a bit another way. It should force player to complete it before going in match. It would be good thing if it starts after the class-token was used.

Oh my god, it's standard. ...Ahem. And 'standard' here is meant as 'default'.
They're the more basic classes that one ought to learn before using the more advanced ones like Vanguard or Deceiver

Also, the game is an MMO...Though not an RPG.

SonixSquad
30th Nov 2015, 07:31
My opinion is that more choice is always better rather than trying to fit different playstyles into one regime.
Some may prefer to try and tank with Vanguard rather than learn Reaver.

However there are classes that are fundamental to standard team comps and these should definitely be mastered first. Those being Reaver & Hunter. Players should be encouraged to choose their character based on what the team needs rather than what they have levelled up.

Hunter and Reaver are certainly not basic, its not like after x hours you should stop playing them for a more advanced class.
There isn't a more advanced class IMO, only classes that are slightly harder to master. But I would never choose Vanguard or Sentinel over Reaver or Hunter currently. Bola is pretty much the most useful tool for multiple scenarios when it comes to disabling and countering attacks. Reavers, with their smaller nimbler figures, dish out DPS the swiftest with the best escapes. Easier to get killed as a Reaver certainly when newer players keep running head on into Alchemist spam and fire..

Its a MOBA, there is no free roaming aspect to this game ....although some lonewolf players seem to think so. XD

I vote option 2.

Ygdrasel
30th Nov 2015, 08:05
There isn't a more advanced class IMO, only classes that are slightly harder to master.

Its a MOBA, there is no free roaming aspect to this game ....although some lonewolf players seem to think so. XD

I vote option 2.

Being harder to master implies that it's more advanced...And nobody said it was free roam (though how great would a free-roam LoK game be?) :p Doesn't look like any MOBA I ever saw but that does seem the most accurate term for it. XD

#2 does seem the best option as far as changing things.

KaininitePriestess
30th Nov 2015, 08:29
I honestly don't particularly feel that it's something that needs to be changed. In the end, players will need to get familiar with all of the classes and the four that are default now are the ones that are the easiest/quickest to pick up so that you get a general idea for the mechanics, and making them play the alch and tyrant as the other two starting classes will make them more familiar with how to go up against those two classes when they're playing as reaver and hunter. It honestly makes perfect sense, at least to me, when you look at it from that point of view.

Heretic_13
30th Nov 2015, 10:16
Reaver and Hunter are default, but i wouldn`t say they are easy to master. Took me quite some time to reach 25 level with both of them
I`d say that it would be rather nice for new players to choose other 2 classes. And even if they won`t know how to play they still have Dumahim and Iron Guard. And i am fan of "You choose. Now live with it" :)

ParadoxicalOmen
1st Dec 2015, 01:12
Problem is...how is a new player going to make a wise decision?
Lets say he start as Vanguard, can't hit anything...start to rage, but now he can't change cause he already chose him (cause he looked cool, and seemed to do most damage).

The start classes are easier to understand and play out...each five ranks you unlock a new one (which is pretty fast in the start). So i don't think this is a big issue.

KaininitePriestess
1st Dec 2015, 04:57
Yeah, like Paradoxical said, with the fact that you unlock a new class every 5 ranks, it doesn't take long to get all of them. If you couldn't unlock them at all, it might be something that should be done, but since you get all of them for free anyway, it should stay the way it is.

Besides, if you start letting people choose which class to play at the start, you'll potentially have an uneven skill gap amongst the newbies.

Raptr0s
1st Dec 2015, 23:19
Not only that, but if you unlock the classes you want right from the get-go, it may kill off some of the incentive to keep playing.

I unlocked scout last and had no desire to play him.

The class every 5 ranks thing seems reasonable to me, not sure why it needs to be changed

Razaiim
3rd Dec 2015, 18:01
I think the system is good as is. Hunter/Alchemist and Reaver/Tyrant are good parallels to each other in the new player categories, and are competent against the other classes bearing sentinel alchemist relationship. Otherwise you get things like they have scouts (cuz everybody like the sniper), but nobody has a deceiver because they wanted the flying vampire. And this is right out the gate, unlike with tokens where people have nominally learned some of what the game is about and what to do.

I don't think it has anything to do with ease of mastery, as truly mastering a class is going to take a lot of time and dedication. I see elite skinned players that use Kidnap to begin flying, try to use camo to run away, Climb up through arrow volleys, all kinds of things.

Numeta
3rd Dec 2015, 22:15
oops

`1`12

Ysanoire
6th Dec 2015, 22:32
I think it's a reasonable idea (no 2). On top of that, all tutorials should be open from the start so that people could check out the classes before they decide (there could be a "claim rewards later" button so that your abilities don't expire if you don't pick that class).

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 03:17
use Kidnap to begin flying

Don't you have to already be in the air to Kidnap?

KaininitePriestess
8th Dec 2015, 04:08
Don't you have to already be in the air to Kidnap?

If you jump off a building and forget how to initiate wing-flappage, activating kidnap or abduct will do it for you, but you'll waste a move. I used to do it from time to time when I first started playing Sent. XD;;;

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 08:12
If you jump off a building and forget how to initiate wing-flappage, activating kidnap or abduct will do it for you, but you'll waste a move. I used to do it from time to time when I first started playing Sent. XD;;;

...Huh. Must be some goldfish playing to forget that often (I sometimes forget the button I've mapped it to though). XD I sometimes use it for a speed burst if I'm under fire and need quick retreat/cover. Or if the humans have holed up someplace, I'll swoop across the roof just to spook 'em and throw them off.

KaininitePriestess
8th Dec 2015, 14:37
Or if the humans have holed up someplace, I'll swoop across the roof just to spook 'em and throw them off.

:naughty: I like your style. Watch them scatter like little ants!

DeadlyMak
8th Dec 2015, 17:35
Problem is...how is a new player going to make a wise decision?

This problem also happens when you get your first token to unlock a class, for example i saw a sentinel do good before reaching level 5 and i was like this is going to be first class I'm going to unlock. Well things didn't go well when i found out how difficult it is to kidnap a human and i eventually went back to playing reaver.

Well what we essentially need is some sort of trial system before you permanently unlock a class(tutorial doesn't really do much in this regard). Something like unlock a class for 3 days for 200 gold would help much in picking the right class permanently.