PDA

View Full Version : A good read?

Gumdrop
30th Jun 2002, 16:44
Has anyone here read this book?
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/038560310X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've been hearing good things about it, but also that the way it is written makes it overly complex. I decided to order it anyway, but just wondered if any Taffer's have already checked it out.

Gumdrop
7th Jul 2002, 03:51
Man I am soooooo enjoying this book. All doubts about it being too complex for me were soon brushed aside as I became captivated by the strange story that is unfolding. It is complex, but the way it is written (and printed ;) ) just makes you want to discover things and unravel it all for yourself. This is not like any other book I have read before. Search out a copy and just flick through...The thing has an index! :eek:

There is also parts printed upside down, snippets of text you have to put a mirror to, pages with only one word on, braille, photos and lots of footnotes pointing you to other parts of the book - aswell as other books (many mentioned are false, but some that I have googled do exist).

I am actually reading up on books etc...that are mentioned or referred to in the footnotes. I hope I don't fall into the trap that the main character does (I'm sure this is all part of the ruse). :eek:

I don't usually read that much any more, but I feel like ricknmel on his first outing with Lord of the Rings...Fantastic stuff Somebody else has just got to read this book so we can compare notes! :D

Edit: There's even a forum (http://www.houseofleaves.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi) for this thing!

Stile451
7th Jul 2002, 04:08
I just may have to check it out(and maybe learn braille).

Sounds nice and convoluted.

But first I must finish the Ender series by Orson Scott Card(great author, great series, lives have been changed by his books).

Gumdrop
7th Jul 2002, 04:28
This is great...Two posts in the last 15 minutes and I suddenly realise I have so much more in common with my fellow Taffer's than a mere blackjack. :)

I have ordered a set of Orson Scott Card novels from a fantasy book club I'm in. His work is being released as part of a "classics" series. http://bluntedtaffer.50megs.com/icon14.gif

Stile451
7th Jul 2002, 05:26
Hmm, I wonder how old they have to be to become classics, the one I'm just beginning to read(3 of 6) is from '91. He's done quite a few novels though.

Ender's Game(book 1) has a lot of action, and is spectacular, Speaker for the Dead(book 2) has very little action, and is spectacular. Both for the characters, their development, and the way Card tells the story.

Fantasy book club? In that case ever read any Piers Anthony(one of my favorites), Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, anything by Isaac Asimov?

I've just finished a the Warlock series by Christopher Stasheff(if it wasn't good I wouldn't have finished all 12 books). I'm lucky on this one, if I hadn't got a great deal I would have missed out on them. It cost me $5 for a box of about 70 or 80 books, mostly fantasy, from the library(some guy gave them to the library, but they didn't have room for them, lucky me he had the same taste in books. Some Piers Anthony, Dragonlance, Anne Mcaffery(sp?), and 20 or 30 other authors).

Ok, I'll stop now or I may start rambling.

<font size=1>Bback in the old days we used to wear onions on our belts, which was the style at the time.......[/ end Simpsons quote]</font>

Gumdrop
7th Jul 2002, 06:35
Piers Anthony's name has cropped up more than once, but I have never delved. I remember reading some Asimov when I was at school...That's when I first read the Dragonlance Chronicles. I recently re-read them last year but found them a little too "quick fix" for me. I still enjoyed them though.

Anne McCaffrey has done some great books. I have never read any of her sci-fi work, but her Pern novels are great. They can be quite slow paced at times, but I tend to like that.

All I can say is read everything you can get your hands on by Robin Hobb. This woman can bring to life such amazing characters. I started with the Liveship Trilogy (becouse I love shipsies) which is fantastic - but again quite slow paced in parts. Most people start with the Farseer's however, which is also good. She has not long released the first part of The Tawny Man series too.

Stile451
7th Jul 2002, 07:25
Robin Hobb, I'll try to remember.

Piers Anthony has many books in the Xanth Triology(~20 books). Xanth is held together with puns, so expect several if you read any of the Xanth novels, a thousand or so if you read them all.

If you're not into that then the Apprentice Adept series is a Sci-fi/Fantasy crossbreed(it works out very well). This is the best of his work that I've read, although I haven't even looked at a few of his series yet(but will, some of them were in the box).

Dragonlance can indeed be a quick fix, which I find really helps after reading a very long novel(Battlefield Earth(much, much, much better than the movie), IT, along those lines). If you want a good Dragonlance series check out the Warriors series, specifically books 1,3, and 5(the escapades of Pirvan the thief rising through the ranks of the Solamnic knights).

I've read pretty much every Louis L'Amour book ever written(he wrote westerns, not everyone likes this type of book).

Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton are pretty good(guess what, the movies are very loosely based on the book, major plot points in the novels are different in the movies).

The Firm and The Pelican Brief by John Grisham are alright.

Surprisingly Gary Gygax(of Dungeons and Dragons, which I've never played) writes really well too.

If you haven't noticed by now I pretty much read anything(and used to have a lot of time on my hands).

*yawn* it's time for bed(actually, it's 5 hours past time for bed, I want to get to sleep before the birds start chirping, plus my typing is becoming slurred - many spelling mistakes and typos I've had to correct).

Squid
7th Jul 2002, 10:14
Jeez... I have met most of the fantasy authors that have already been mentioned, and read most of their works. While I'm not saying that they are friends of mine, I've at least had long friendly conversations with two of them. Most of the others were five minute chat sort of things. Anthony really doesn't go out to conventions, and McCaffrey lives in England, so it's hard to see her.

I recommend all of the above, plus Robert Asprin, Mercedes Lackey (call her Misty, please! She *hates* Mercedes!), Brad Strickland, Brad Linaweaver, (sorry if I misspelled that, Brad!) David Weber... there's so many good authors out there that I like!

Squid

Nightwalker
7th Jul 2002, 12:48
Wow! You guys read all MY favourite books, too! I love the Liveship books and I've got the first one of the Tawny Man series on my shelf, ready to start as soon as I finish Book 2 of the Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, which I would HIGHLY recommend. It's terrific. I just wish the 3rd book was available now.

I have every Pern book that Anne McCaffrey has written and all the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey. My house is stuffed with sci-fi & fanstasy books, with heavy emphasis on the fantasy end of it. It's nice to know there are others around who read the same type of things.

bravus
7th Jul 2002, 18:12
Hi All

Well, I'm another wild and crazy reading type - SF (especially cyberpunk), fantasy and horror mainly, but pretty much whatever I can get my hands on! (Us readers are getting more rarer in the general population, though apparently not in here!) You've got me pretty intrigued with 'House of Leaves', Gummie, and that's one I'll be looking up quite soon. In terms of rich, complex and amazing books, let me just mention two: Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose' is fantastic, and the film with Sean Connery is pretty good too. Well worth a look. And China Mieville's 'Perdido Street Station' is pretty amazing as well.

My home page at http://bravus.port5.com has a lot more about the books and authors I love, so I won't weigh into the discussion too much here. I do find Piers Anthony fun, but he vocally disdains style, and therefore the writing can be quite pedestrian although the ideas are often great. Isaac Asimov can suffer the same problem. Guess I'm just a sucker for great and thoughtful use of language!

See ya,

Bravus

Gumdrop
25th Aug 2002, 21:48
Just an update here. I've finished reading the two main narrations in the book, and am staying awake until I've canned all the poems and letters at the end. Then ofcourse the real fun begins. ;)

Yes the book has me in it's grasp, and despite all the hype about people becoming obsessed with this thing, there certainly is alot in here that makes you want to peel back the layers a little more. I've spent the day reading lots of ideas and theories surrounding this thing, and am itching to get back in and dig deeper. I'm no scholar, but the research I did today has made me look back at all the mashed up text in a different way. I even found some of the hidden messages on my own! :eek:

So if you fancy a good read with some very atmospheric scenes and don't mind a bit of bad language and a little blunt - say it how it is sex, go forth and delve.

Newbie tip: Think about the different fonts used. ;)

Caradavin1
30th Aug 2002, 04:11
Xanth trilogy!!!!! :D :D :D

Immortality
31st Aug 2002, 15:05
I'm a big fan fantasy too. Among my favorites are "THe black company" series by Glen Cook, and the "night runners" series (which by the way, is about a thief). Ialso enjoy reading the Dragon boks by Gorden ****son. Last summer I combed half the Librarys in Calofornia and bought over 80 books with real good prices (one of the more wiser things I've done.)