PDA

View Full Version : Map Vote During Lobby [POLL]

SonixSquad
27th Nov 2015, 18:52
I don't know about you guys but I have started to get frustrated with playing the same map over and over 2 or 3 times in a row. Its especially annoying as we don't get any say in the map choice. If we voted to replay the same map then fair enough.

I think we have the perfect time to do this now at the start of a match when waiting for players to join the lobby.
We can't see players in the lobby but at least allow us a map vote whilst in the lobby. Once all players have joined the lobby, they too can vote before the map is chosen. We still get that 10 second countdown to cast our final vote for our preferred map.
If players vote the same map in, I believe it would be less frustrating. In the case of a tie, it is randomised.
Please vote to indicate your preferred implementation for this idea.

PS: This PoLL was primarily created with Ranked lobby in mind where you can't see the other players in the lobby but theres no reason it should not also apply to Unranked lobbies. Just bear in mind you can see other players in unranked lobbies.

Ygdrasel
27th Nov 2015, 23:42
Eventually, this would end up with people just voting in the same maps two or three times in a row. #2 would be the better option though if a vote were implemented.

Vampmaster
28th Nov 2015, 00:13
If it gets added, it might be best to do something like Uncharted does where it picks two at random, but you get to vote between those two maps. Perhaps map A is vampire territory and map B is human once there are enough vampire ones to balance it out. Otherwise you could end up with each player voting for a different map and the odds are even for 8 different ones.

Ygdrasel
28th Nov 2015, 08:15
If it gets added, it might be best to do something like Uncharted does where it picks two at random, but you get to vote between those two maps. Perhaps map A is vampire territory and map B is human once there are enough vampire ones to balance it out. Otherwise you could end up with each player voting for a different map and the odds are even for 8 different ones.

An idea, give things more of a feeling of a war making progress: The first round could be a vote between a random vamp map and a random human map. Each successive map vote (match 2 and onward) could depend on which side has the most points at round end. If human points tally more for the previous match, it picks a random human map. If vampire points tally more, it picks a random vampire map. Gives a sense of one side or the either making a big morale-fueled push for territory.

ParadoxicalOmen
28th Nov 2015, 20:34
I am not unsatisfied by how things are right now, but voting map would be nice.

SonixSquad
29th Nov 2015, 04:11
This PoLL was primarily created with Ranked lobby in mind where you can't see the other players in the lobby but theres no reason it should not also apply to Unranked lobbies. Just bear in mind you can see other players in unranked lobbies.

Wow 81 views and 3 votes, interesting....

An idea, give things more of a feeling of a war making progress: The first round could be a vote between a random vamp map and a random human map. Each successive map vote (match 2 and onward) could depend on which side has the most points at round end. If human points tally more for the previous match, it picks a random human map. If vampire points tally more, it picks a random vampire map. Gives a sense of one side or the either making a big morale-fueled push for territory.

I do like these kind of lobbies tbh. They can keep the game immersion going depending on how well they are done. Red Orchestra (WW2 FPS) has a nice lobby where the next territory to battle in (map) is voted for and decided before loading that map. The vote choices are limited to what territories have been played and by which team won previously etc.

Ygdrasel
29th Nov 2015, 06:27
This PoLL was primarily created with Ranked lobby in mind where you can't see the other players in the lobby but theres no reason it should not also apply to Unranked lobbies. Just bear in mind you can see other players in unranked lobbies.

Wow 81 views and 3 votes, interesting....

I do like these kind of lobbies tbh. They can keep the game immersion going depending on how well they are done. Red Orchestra (WW2 FPS) has a nice lobby where the next territory to battle in (map) is voted for and decided before loading that map. The vote choices are limited to what territories have been played and by which team won previously etc.

Polls are rarely utilized.

And yeah, something like that. Say the first match ends up on The Crucible. Humans score most so maybe the morale spreads among the troops, tales travel about how they took over the vampires' industrial center, and that rallies some other soldier group to push for control of The Fane. 'Course, we'd need more maps still to keep things from repetition, what with there being...A whole two vampire maps. (Next one planned is a vamp place, innit?)

Vampmaster
30th Nov 2015, 12:35
What would you think of voting between game modes? For example, the left map might be Flashpoint in Valeholm and the right map might be CTB in The Fane. It could be a good way to include lots of game modes without splitting the playerbase.

SonixSquad
30th Nov 2015, 18:23
Sure why not. Although I think theres a lot of potential for a mixed rotation being e a whole new gamemode called Faction War (or something more original & creative that I'll leave to the lore fans).
This game mode weaves a bit of a story into a campaign like mode going across a continent map made from the different maps.
The aim being to conquer the whole continent. The other difference is teams don't switch sides. So you join the Vamp or Human alliance and help conquer the map. Allow match victors to choose the next game mode which can also be CTB aswell as standard TDM.

\brainfart

Ygdrasel
30th Nov 2015, 21:31
Sure why not. Although I think theres a lot of potential for a mixed rotation being e a whole new gamemode called Faction War (or something more original & creative that I'll leave to the lore fans).
This game mode weaves a bit of a story into a campaign like mode going across a continent map made from the different maps.
The aim being to conquer the whole continent. The other difference is teams don't switch sides. So you join the Vamp or Human alliance and help conquer the map. Allow match victors to choose the next game mode which can also be CTB aswell as standard TDM.

\brainfart

So...It's a really long deathmatch with no team switching? Sounds fine. Though if it's going for a sense of story, maybe prelude each new round with a bit of set-up text relevant to the new map. So say you're going for The Fane, you get a bit of prologue about the conflict to set the stage.

Rather different idea from a mere map rotation method though. I'd wager it gets more attention in a new thread. (Also, how about 'Conquest' or - to borrow the original game title - 'War For Nosgoth'?)