PDA

View Full Version : Another "AI" soap box discussion.

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 16:04
I have been playing another FPS from another company so I won't say who. However The AI has been upgraded and I EXPECT that T3 will be as well. Only two times so far has the game I've been playing made me jump out of my skin. That's good but a far cry from the T series. If I use a flame thrower it's great to see the bad guys cry out and burn to a crisp. Sick of me eh? After you shoot some flames their way they back up and hide in wait or shoot from farther back. They even climb ladders and hunt you down at times. What made it the greatest at times was when it made you get involved emotionaly. There was this place where I was safe above a hole where I was above to the floor below where there was three of the enemy behind debris waiting for an attack from some undead. Since I am of the same species as the living I helped out by picking off some undead from my comfy spot above. Wouldn't you know it, the ungratefull bastuds shot at me. tsk tsk. The Jerry's in real life may have done the same thing but it caused me to reload and just watch the next time. The Jerry's were wiped out and I had a whole passel of undead to deal with myself. So I reloaded and helped out just a little and the dealt with just one enemy soldier and one undead.
My point is that going through this whole level of catacombs I could hear battles going on between the undead and enemy soldiers from a room next to me or at times I would see them fight it out down the corridor. I realy wanted to help out or get to the action and lend a hand. If this game had been based on getting in to rescue or extract your own buddies it would have been even better. The feeling of frustration or an adrenaline rush to get there before it's too late would give an old man a heart attack or a young man a rush. AI developement is a key to success for future gameing along with tying you in emotionally. Better graphics is cool but that's not where the big success will come from.

Gumdrop
30th Jun 2002, 16:34
Ah...I know what game you speak of. ;) I played through this not so long ago, and I was really impressed by the way the skeletons burst out of the ground (Harryhausen style) and creep towards you with their shields infront of them. The fire dude ( :D ) is also very cool - as are the nerve shattering sound FX, but sometimes I did experience dumb soldiers just standing there while I his mates where getting mowed down.

The super fast fem's with stub (?) guns in the church were a good challenge, as was the big fat undead boss with the spirits blacking out your view. The final boss didn't seem very intelligent though...Just a hard nut who stomped around.

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 16:45
Yep.
One of my gripes with games is the difficulty levels.

NORMAL: Basic game

HARD: More bad guys

EXPERT: Even more bad guys and they all have super armor.

I'm sick of it!

RicknMel
30th Jun 2002, 17:49
What game are you talking about?
Are you "allowed" to tell us?

Gumdrop
30th Jun 2002, 18:02
RtCW! :)

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 18:42
it's a great game but the last level sucks. I live about 30 seconds.

Munin the Raven
30th Jun 2002, 20:00
I had a lot of fun with this one when it first came out. I love how the AI will climb ladders to pursue you, throw grenades back at you, and take cover and use strafing manevers. I also must admit that the flamethrower is the best-looking one I've seen in a game, and that the undead are really cool.:D

I loved sneaking around in this one, particularly in the first mission. There is something extremely satisfying about sneaking up on an unaware guard and breaking a chair over his head, or getting a running start and jump-kicking a guard in the back of the head (although neither attack does as much damamge as it should). I played half-way through the game (after completing it the first time) on Death Incarnate mode using only the knife, my foot, the luger, and chairs as weapons, even against enemies weilding rifles and sub machine guns. There's something amusing about running around a corner and clothes-lining an angry machine-gun toating soldier with a chair, sending him crashing to the ground before he has a chance to fire.:D

The difference in difficulty levels only involves the alertness, accuracy, intelligence, and deadliness of the AI, not their numbers. It also has an minimal effect on the location of some of the objectives and equipment.

Unfortunately, the game is almost completely linear and the occasional all-out gun battle is required (by the end of the game you're playing Rambo style).:( For the most part the game is really easy, even on the highest difficulty, although there are a couple of spots that are really frustrating.

Chief, there's a trick to finishing that last level that took me a few painful deaths to figure out. If you need a hint, just ask.

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 20:11
Please tell me.

Munin the Raven
30th Jun 2002, 20:21
SPOILER:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Those nasty "ghosts" will get you if you leave the "arena" for any length of time and try to pick up the powerups. Just get in close with the venom and blast away (much like the encounter with the first Uber Soldat). If you do need to leave for health or ammo, make it fast.

The way I beat this area was to take out the she-demon with a panzerfaust while I charged into the fray to take out Mr. Big or whatever his name is. Don't bother with the little skeletons unless they're becoming a real problem: just take out Mr. big and remember that he has an unusually long reach.;)

Alternatively, if you have any dynamite or a lot of panzerfaust rounds you could try getting creative...:D

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 20:26
Sorry, I was talking about the SuperSoldier at the end of the game.

Munin the Raven
30th Jun 2002, 20:48
The Uber Soldat?

That part really faked me out too. It's not the end of the game. Why do you think it's called <i>Return</i> to Castle Wolfenstein?:D Sorry if I spoiled anything.

I assume you're talking about the secret facility where you enter a large room and the Uber Soldat starts attacking with electricity and rockets and other guys start shooting at you from above with lugers.

The best strategy for that guy is to just get in close and blast him silly with the venom. Make sure to keep something between you and his rocket-arm while doing this! You may also be able to make use of the gas-tanks scattered throughout the room. Also note that there is armor and health to be had at the far end of the room below the balconies where the guys are shooting at you from.

Any other weapon I tried to use in that situation simply didn't work. The Uber Soldat is immune to the flamethrower and one simply can't carry enough panzerfaust rounds to take him out, especially while he's shooting rockets back at you. If you can take really good cover you may be able to take him out with several shots of the Mauser rifle.

As for the guys up in the balcony, just take cover from the Uber Soldat while taking them out or vice versa. Use the Uber Soldat's slow speed to your advantage.

Chiefdreams
30th Jun 2002, 20:58
I guess I'll have to start over then. I only have 35 health and once I was able to get to the armor and stuff it was behind bullet proof glass. I died with my hands steaking blood down the glass.