PDA

View Full Version : The High Dive Challenge!

KurtVonStrohm
25th Nov 2015, 19:51
I just bought a the Xbone and Rise of The Tomb Raider bundle, and I am overwhelmed with this technology...Rise of The Tomb Raider is the most beautiful game I ever have laid my eyes on - I am truely dazzled! And I was very close to be swept away like I did with the first Tomb Raider on the old Xbox 360. In fact Tomb Raider (2013) is my 4th best game ever played...mind that is over 30 years of gaming!

However a computer game is where You are suppose to have fun - not struggle with issues like these, which seems to be more or less impossible or is triggered by pure luck.

I have watched several Youtube videos in order to figure out the High Dive Challenge. Most users said that it is done by pushing the jump button followed up by left trigger - this does not Work for me...Lara simply just jumps up followed up by pulling the bow. By a miracle i managed jumping on the head from the Watch Tower in the South of Geothermal Valley - by pushing jump (A button) and pusing forward on the left thumb stick simultaniously quickly followed up with Left Trigger. This should not be so freaking difficult to perform having the other challenges in mind, where You simply have to find and shoot item X. This is rather an unfair challenge and no fun at all.

While thinking I found the solution, I went to my second location which is the Ridgeline jump. And now I am stuck at the Ridgeline jump, and no matter what I do this does not trigger the head jump, which makes me extremely frustrated. Trust me I tried everything! If I stand too far back it looks like the head jump is going to happen, but it gets aborted because I stood too far back on the wooden plank (graphically it performs half a head jump but I do not leave the plank). If I move slightly forward Lara either dies Falling or perform a legs first jump with crossed arms...this is simply not right!

Feel free to call me a noob, because I cannot perform this jump...I do not mind - I can handle it as I've been playing computer games since the Commodore 64, so it is not the first time I heard that Word.

I am having the Soviet Installation Bird Quest bug, which will be addressed in 2nd patch...and that makes me feel pleased. This I write here is in hope that this challenge will be addressed in the same patch as well - making it alot less frustrating...maybe simplyfying the jump mechanism down to two buttons.

If this doesn't get fixed I will stick to the first Tomb Raider game as that was a flawless high polished game as games should be, and stay clear Square Enix games in the future. This may sound unforgiving, but I reached an age where time starts to get precious. I am probably not allowed talking bad directly about other game publishers in this forum, so You have to use Your brain a bit in order to figure out who I am talking about. Staying clear of game Publishers is not a new phenomenon to me...a certain game Publisher who released games like "Pass Out 3" and "Skyflunk" for my old X-box 360...games more or less unplayable because of bugs that never got addressed despite they had over 7 years to fix them. That made me feel backstabbed not getting what I paid for...or in other Words the game Publisher left a turd on my forehead - and I do not like turds on my forehead! That prevented me to buy the recent over hyped "Pass Out 4" - and anything else they release for the future to come. And just like I thought it would be, they released a beoynd bugged game again - then they stand forward in the press saying it was their best high polished game ever...my god! It is beyond my grasp why several million people swallows this like it is OK for them to get away with this. 15 years ago there was no such thing as bugs in games when they got released - there was no patching up Things with a Nintendo 64 cartridge gaming console, so Things had to be perfect! And now the consumers are getting used to the bugs and accept them, because the Publisher says it is OK with bugs. What is wrong with that scenario? It would be the same if You went to a certain Bavarian automobile factory and You ordered a car, when You get it delivered You find out it got no Wheels and no gearbox...the car factory just says sorry and do nothing about it...would You be satisfied with such a deal? This was just an example - I am quite sure the Bavarian car factory would never allow such a thing to happen - but this happens in front of Your eyes in the gaming industry! I know other Publishers like "snow storm" does not tollerate bugs - they actually reward their users by reporting bugs so "snow storm" can fix them ASAP in their over 8 years old never ending MMORPG. By that they earned my trust and I am faithful to them - quite simple, as I get what I paid for. There...I finally got it off my chest! I hope I didn't break any forum rules by it...if I had, it sure was not my intention - feel free to edit my post in case I did.

I am well aware that the higher technology the higher complex it is to make a game, and I do see hell of alot effort put in this stunning game. Had it not been for these two flaws mentioned, it would have been a perfect game for me and topped the first Tomb Raider experince...hopefully my second playthrough will be perfect. So please Square Enix...don't let me down - like a certain competitor already did :)

Lucacentric28
25th Nov 2015, 20:02
The highest diving platform gave me the most trouble. I tried a lot of different things to get it to work, and what ended up doing the trick was not moving forward until I'd jumped. Whenever I started moving before jumping I could never pull off the dive.

Tecstar70
26th Nov 2015, 10:50
The highest diving platform gave me the most trouble. I tried a lot of different things to get it to work, and what ended up doing the trick was not moving forward until I'd jumped. Whenever I started moving before jumping I could never pull off the dive.

Yes, that one seemed to cause me problems too, but I did it. I found I had to press A to jump then pull and hold the left trigger almost immediately.

_LR8O_
26th Nov 2015, 11:58
i will admit i problems diving head first, but i soon figured it out, as soon as i was moving (only walking) forward i would push A and followed by left trigger right after while keeping pushed forward, i would find an easy place to keep trying, but yes it shouldnt be so awkward to do, to be fair she should dive head first anyway imo.

Qu33nBee
27th Nov 2015, 02:48

Thank you Lucacentric28. After trying this many times to the point utter annoyance, I got it after reading your post. The not moving until jumping helped for me. The other dives were not a problem so why this one is such a pain in the %$! makes no sense.

Lucacentric28
27th Nov 2015, 18:23
Thank you Lucacentric28. After trying this many times to the point utter annoyance, I got it after reading your post. The not moving until jumping helped for me. The other dives were not a problem so why this one is such a pain in the %$! makes no sense.

No problem. Glad you were able to get it. :)

a_big_house
27th Nov 2015, 18:37
I'm half way though this challenge and I don't see ho pressing the trigger could do anything, I was playing old school way (jump then hit B) but it seems that perhaps there's multiple ways to trigger the dive?

Tecstar70
27th Nov 2015, 21:39
I'm half way though this challenge and I don't see ho pressing the trigger could do anything, I was playing old school way (jump then hit B) but it seems that perhaps there's multiple ways to trigger the dive?

As far as I remember on the Xbox One it only prompted to pull the left trigger, but there may be a second way that I haven't seen.

Pil0t_Pedr0
30th Nov 2015, 22:08
I am on my second play through of the game, on the first play through I had no problem in doing the High Dive Challenge in Geothermal Valley and completed it successfully.
I have just come to do the same challenge on the second play through, I have done the dive at all 4 locations, but it is only showing as 3 of 4 dives made. Can someone look into this please.

Here is the screenshot I took

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/pedro-peewee/Game%20Pics/Mon_Nov_30_22-21-51_UTC_2015_zpsbr5jxrpk.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/pedro-peewee/media/Game%20Pics/Mon_Nov_30_22-21-51_UTC_2015_zpsbr5jxrpk.jpg.html)

Pil0t_Pedr0
2nd Dec 2015, 19:32
After diving about 6 times at each of the 4 dives locations in rotation, finally the challenge completed message finally appeared.

nuklearpineaple
3rd Dec 2015, 19:33
Maybe your dive didn't have enough "Finesse"

MaxPower211983
7th Dec 2015, 17:44
2 of 4 diving challenges completed.

The one at the tower or platform by the sea with icebergs on the water, there is no ladder to climb up? Is this a bug? And how to correct it?

I've dived off all the other diving platforms and I haven't been given a successful completion for each one. Whats going on here?

Tecstar70
7th Dec 2015, 18:34
Are you sure? The ladder is on one side and does not go to the ground. You have to jump up to it.

MaxPower211983
7th Dec 2015, 18:42
Its ok just realized the ladder is not there on the first guard tower until you complete a mission to gather supplies. After completing the mission the ladder has suddenly appeared.

Just jumped off this Guard tower and now the game is telling me I've completed 3 of 4 Diving challenges. So now I gotta go back to each one of the others and see which one needs redoing. I got a feeling they have to be done in a certain order or they won't give you a completion.

I'm kinda hoping one of the other diving boards will work now I've done the Guard tower that had the missing ladder.
EDIT: It was the High Watch Tower with the torch lit roof that needed a dive. Few that's diving challenges completed, I really thought the game was glitched before I did that mission.

Tecstar70
7th Dec 2015, 21:05
Its ok just realized the ladder is not there on the first guard tower until you complete a mission to gather supplies. After completing the mission the ladder has suddenly appeared.

Just jumped off this Guard tower and now the game is telling me I've completed 3 of 4 Diving challenges. So now I gotta go back to each one of the others and see which one needs redoing. I got a feeling they have to be done in a certain order or they won't give you a completion.

I'm kinda hoping one of the other diving boards will work now I've done the Guard tower that had the missing ladder.
EDIT: It was the High Watch Tower with the torch lit roof that needed a dive. Few that's diving challenges completed, I really thought the game was glitched before I did that mission.

Nice one!

Silversin88
14th Dec 2015, 13:58
Hi CD team,

First off all I want to congratulate you on this fantastic game. Unfortunately I've run into a problem and hope you guys could help me with it.

Platform: Xbox One
Mission: Geothermal Valley, defending the village

The southern hunting tower doesn't register the high dive, so the challenge can't be completed.

Thing's i've tried: Lara suicide/respawn, fast traveling in and out the area, advancing the story and restarting the game.

Some side notes: The challenge registered/started when I dived out of the waterfall crypt, and not the diving board above. Not sure if that has to with anything, but the other 2 diving spots completed without problems. It's the southern tower that's giving me problems.

Lucacentric28
14th Dec 2015, 18:11
I had a slight hiccup with this particular dive. It didn't register the first time I did it. I pulled off the dive, but was still holding the buttons when I hit water and Lara immediately went into a swimming animation instead of the usual fluid dive and surface. After that I tried again, releasing the buttons after diving and the challenge updated the second time.

Couldn't hurt to give that a try if you're still having trouble.

Silversin88
14th Dec 2015, 20:47
Hmm strange. I tried to do the other 3 again, nothing. Tried the waterfall for a third time and it registered as completed.

Problem solved ! :worship:

Coastkey
27th Dec 2015, 20:29
Tried this 30-40 times and havent been able to dive once... Tried running, walking, standing still. Tried jumping straight up. Can someone pls explain if there is a bug or is it supposed to be so confusing that people makes questions on forums about it?

idcHa0s
28th Dec 2015, 08:31
Tried this 30-40 times and havent been able to dive once... Tried running, walking, standing still. Tried jumping straight up. Can someone pls explain if there is a bug or is it supposed to be so confusing that people makes questions on forums about it?
Same here, tried all of the tricks but I can't get her to dive properly off of the Ridgeline location, super frustrating. This has to be a bug!

Lifeonerth1
22nd Jan 2016, 16:17
This challenge is making me crazy! I do nothing but game all day, all kinds of genres, multiple consoles, multiple platforms. I am trying to 100% this game, but this challenge is holding me back! I got the tutorial and did the first dive no problem off the platform by the steps and the entrance to the pit. I was even able to get the swan dive into the well after a few tries. I was able to make Laura do a couple of swan dives in random locations, caves, etc. However, now that I am trying to complete the challenge, all she will do is cross her arms and legs and go feet-first.

I tried that platform on the tower by the hunting lodge at least twenty times in a row, using every hint I saw on the web. I tried using A + LT, A + B, and many other permutations. She simply won't do it again. I tried a few times from the big tower where we lit the fire earlier as well, and same thing.

This is seriously crazy-making and NOT FUN. This is a terrible setup. Is it a timing issue, such that there is only a millisecond window wherein we have to tap the LT? If so, PLEASE make the window bigger or simplify the mechanic or do whatever it takes to make this more user-friendly (or at least reliable!). On a side note, I have a chronic illness that sometimes affects the finer aspects of my hand-eye coordination, and I do not buy games with QTEs for this reason. There are many others like me who use games as an escape. You don't have to dumb it down, but at least give your gamers a fair chance. Thank you for your consideration and for an otherwise great game.

gemekaa
14th Feb 2016, 09:58
Add me to the list of people going batty from this challenge. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to TREK ALL THE WAY BACK UP to the platform EVERY TIME Lara does a "normal dive" and not the exact dive required for the challenge.

I've tried all the hints and nothing is working, so I hope this is in the list of things to be fixed? ...though given it is still broken, doesn't seem likely.

TXGT-FFX
14th Feb 2016, 10:47
The lag input on xbox one could be the reason people struggling with this challenge (on weak PCs with maxed out graphics too). For me it works every time if I jump and press "aim" button after that. It works even if I press aim after half of a second. It is no trouble for me to do that.
I remember on my first walkthrough I didn't know that there was this challenge. I just came across the red board and the tutorial popped out that you can dive if you press "aim" button after jump. So I jumped and pressed aim and she just hugged herself and made straight pose and dived legs first (idk how that pose called in english :P). And the game counted that as a 1st successful jump in that challenge. It was near the Signal Fire.

Izzy24
14th Feb 2016, 12:00
I've had mixed results with this move. On first playthrough, I managed it fine, although I didn't always get the timing right when pressing the buttons. On the second playthrough, Lara would not dive off the Ridgeline dive spot, just kept crashing on the rocks, which was weird, because I'd done it with no problems first time through.

I ended up discovering that if Lara stands just to the right on the red platform on the rock she doesn't hit the rocks below and the dive still counts for the challenge. I know this won't help people struggling with getting her to dive at all, but it might help those who are endlessly dying on those rocks as I did!

I-Macbeth
21st Feb 2016, 18:07

top man ... 30 fails .. press the 'B' worked first time ... cheers