PDA

View Full Version : So what does everyone think?

Bomber777
30th Jun 2002, 09:04
New forum, new beggining, does everyone like it? It seems very much alike the other one except more high tech... To bad everything we posted before is gone... Oh well. we'll start the new station with a boom.

AlphaOmega
30th Jun 2002, 18:14
If theres anything you really want to save, copy it on over!

SkrasherSmasher
4th Jul 2002, 20:31
Originally posted by Bomber777
... Oh well. we'll start the new station with a boom.

*Fiddles with a medium sized machine.*

Got the same idea as you did.

*Machine explodes*

Now there's your boom, happy?? Argh, gotta grow some hair now...

Ghyron
4th Jul 2002, 20:49
Nothing goes BOOM like an exploding star system...

Death Busters
5th Jul 2002, 14:07
BOOM

*DB is seen with lever*

SkrasherSmasher
5th Jul 2002, 16:08
Darn, I couldn't find any vacant star systems to blow up.

*Various body parts fly by*

Death Busters!! Your not supposed to blow up occupied star systems for the fun of it!! Think how many times your going to have to pay 1000E!

Ghyron
6th Jul 2002, 03:24
A lever? I assumed that was indigestion... :eek:

Death Busters
6th Jul 2002, 16:12
account=5000
do
Say "Administrator, you will have to pay 1000 E to compensate for this family's losses."
account=account-1000
Say "Administrator, Ghyron is sending the dough for the mass assasination job."
account=acount+1000
loop

Ghyron
6th Jul 2002, 22:33
Originally posted by Death Busters
account=5000
do
Say "Administrator, you will have to pay 1000 E to compensate for this family's losses."
account=account-1000
Say "Administrator, Ghyron is sending the dough for the mass assasination job."
account=acount+1000
loop

Silly Human, that code would do nothing but slow down a computer's resourses. Psshhh, and infinite do - loop that does nothing. Preposterous.

Here is some real Startopia code I managed to find:

dim winning as boolean

If winning = true then
Call CrashToDesktop
end if

NZrevenge
12th Jul 2002, 16:04
So that's why I always crash so much when playing StarTopia... It must mean I'm really good then! Woohoo!

SkrasherSmasher
12th Jul 2002, 19:46
Or your computer is older then you....

NZrevenge
13th Jul 2002, 08:15
Well I must be good then.

I doubt if I am less than 6 months old... I'm not am I? :)

SkrasherSmasher
13th Jul 2002, 12:47
Another question. Do you have windows 3.1??

DMA57361
13th Jul 2002, 15:58
Windows 3.1? When'd that come out!?

I'm still using version 3! Where can I get a patch?

:rolleyes:

NZrevenge
14th Jul 2002, 10:44
Originally posted by NZrevenge
I doubt if I am less than 6 months old... I'm not am I? :) Ya know, I thought that I was implying that my computer was less than 6 months old. As in, it was made less than 6 months ago. As in, it is one of those fancy things that cost a whole heap and come with Windows XP.

[talking-like-a-know-it-all-wanker]
My computer's specs are:
1.6Ghz P4
512Mb DDRam
64Mb Geforce 2 MX400
40Gb Hard-drive
:p
[/talking-like-a-know-it-all-wanker]

Ghyron
14th Jul 2002, 14:43
A Pentium? AMD is superior and you know it! :D

It is not DDRam it is DDR RAM.

You should upgrade your video card, GF3s are cheaper now.

Did you build that computer yourself, or was it an inferior already made computer?

I can be an annoying-know-it-all too. :D

SkrasherSmasher
14th Jul 2002, 16:23
Originally posted by NZrevenge
[talking-like-a-know-it-all-wanker]

[/talking-like-a-know-it-all-wanker]

Why doesn't the censor pick up those underlined words? NZ, what have you done to the censors?!

DMA57361
14th Jul 2002, 16:42
It is was "DDR RAM". (Damn Ghyron and his forum member brain washing! Argh! Must . . . fight . . . .). As it is "Double Data Rate RAM".

*checks mobo manual*

Huh. Called a "DDR Memory Module" in here. And then DDR SDRAM somewhere else! . . . stupid thing.

Oh. And my system matches NZrevenge's. Except for the 30Gb HDD & 6Gb HDD (both really old, ATA 66 & 33 - too cheap to upgrade). And the Athlon XP1700 (which runs at 1.466Ghz btw). Oh yeah, and I have a motherboard, CDRW, DVD/CD Rom, Case, Sound card, PSU, fans, heatsinks, cables & external stuff (screen, kboard, etc). NZrevenge - how can you use a PC w/o some of them!?

I can annoying as well. :D (Argh . . . must . . . fight)

And most of that is over 6 months old (cept the RAM (~2 weeks) & CPU/Mobo(~4mnts)).

EDIT - Before someone moans. My mobo has both SDRAM and DDR RAM slots, so my RAM can be newer than the mobo. Don't believe me? It's a K7S5A, by . . um . . some mobo maker . . .

Yes, Gyhron. I want a new vid card as well. But I'm too cheap to buy upgrades until I feel that I *need* them. Like when the old one stops working, or my new shiny game gets 5fps . . . :rolleyes:

Ghyron
14th Jul 2002, 17:44
Your motherboard is an Asus, I beleive.

DMA57361
14th Jul 2002, 20:54
I have not an idea.

*Looks at mobo. (case is off due to heat problems - don't ask, but the terms "Dodgy PSU", "CPU fan stopped" and "80C" come to mind . . .)*

Has "Elitegroup" on the northbridge headsink. Is mobo manufactorer?

Also is has a small blurb above the AGP slot says "Tested to comply with FFC Standards FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE". Darn . . . I can't use it in my car . . . :rolleyes:

AlphaOmega
14th Jul 2002, 22:48
Whoa! Big problems there! If your CPU fan is dead, stop using your computer! You are asking for a dead CPU if you keep it up.

Also, keeping a case off to keep things cool is a very bad idea, those cases are there for a reason. In about 3 days you can have enough dust buildup to start malfunctioning.

Ghyron
14th Jul 2002, 22:56
Yes, a non functioning Fan on your Heatsink will lead to problems (such as a burnt down house). If you have a Cartridge CPU, then you do not need a fan or heatsink directly on the CPU.

NZrevenge
15th Jul 2002, 05:35
Originally posted by SkrasherSmasher
Why doesn't the censor pick up those underlined words? NZ, what have you done to the censors?!Why am I allowed to use the word "wanker"? I guess it's because these boards knows that I am quite literally a bastard, and so it feels sorry for me.

Either that or this board's censor does give you seem lee-way when writing your posts.

originally posted by Ghyron
Yes, a non functioning Fan on your Heatsink will lead to problems (such as a burnt down house). If you have a Cartridge CPU, then you do not need a fan or heatsink directly on the CPU.Ghyron is right... Ghyron is right... Ghyron is ri-- Noooo! You shall be defeated Ghyron, mark my words. You may strike me down, but another stronger than me shall rise to take my place!

Originally posted by Ghyron
You should upgrade your video card, GF3s are cheaper now.Ghyron is ri-- Noooo! I will not buy a Geforce 3! The beauty and the power of the Geforce 4 is nearing towards my grasp! It will be mine, all mine!
Here's some useful trivia: Did you know that the MX versions of the Geforce 4 are still just taken up Geforce 2s? Can anyone else smell a rip off? If you are looking for a real compromise between power and price, why not try the Geforce 4 ti-4200 chipset?

DMA57361
15th Jul 2002, 11:40
Alpha, Ghyron - I'm not stupid. I'm not running w/o a CPU fan. That is a good way to fry a chip, and I was too close to that for my like anyway.

After some testing it seems my PSU had a dodgy +12V line, the one which powers the fan and drives. It explained why I was having trouble with accessing data up until that point, and why the fan stopped. I got a new PSU fitted and it's all fine. :)

But I've done some more tests and I am worried that with the case on the CPU temp (read from the mobo sensors using a program) is reported as 60C under load. Which is a lot. The case is off to keep that down to 48C while I improve air flow . . .

Dust build up . . . 3 days . . . erm . . . try about 2 weeks. Dust ain't a real problem, and it will build up with the case on as well. Trust me, when I went to rip the case fan from an old PPro 200 in the garage I took the case off and the dust litteraly FLOWED out of the bottom . . . quite annoying.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and I think the motherboard is made by SiS.

NZrevenge
15th Jul 2002, 11:56
Oh yeah, Ghyron, my computer is an inferior premade one, though it was plenty of room for upgrading (I got a techie mate to check it out before hand to see what I'd be able to do with it... I am not as much of a know-it-all-wanker as I'd like to be). It had some nice specs at a low price, with an awesome HP deal. I forgoed any extended warranty crap so that I could get to messing with it quickly enough.

I have plans to buy that Geforce 4 I mentioned before, and to possibly double my RAM. Before that I'll want a high speed modem though... Dammit I need to get out of school and get full-time job so I can afford all this crap!!!