PDA

View Full Version : "Underwater Swimming" ~ Anyone else despise it ?

NightRain'06
19th Nov 2015, 01:47
Hey. I guess you could call this my upset rant.

I still have not beaten the game yet because I'm still early in it.

But, when I came across an area where I had get Lara to so-call "swim underwater" to collect something, I realized she really wasn't "swimming" at all and I became upset when she died because of this, what I refer to as a horribly, poorly executed mechanic.

That's why the title is in quotations because it seems she really does not swim due to the fact that she cannot hold her breath for a long duration.

All she does is start to suffer after two seconds of holding her breath and being directly below the surface of the water, then I panic as the player to get her head above water two seconds later.

I don't know. I suppose I was expecting something like TR Underworld, or the older TR games, where she could hold her breath longer than 4 seconds ?

There was another area I came across where I assumed I had to go underwater to solve a puzzle; but that ended up not being the case, thankfully.

And what's up with the lack of exploration ?

I understand in Underworld, they gave her scuba gear to explore, but I guess I was expecting something like The Last of Us where Joel can actually hold his breath and explore.

Again, even recalling older games like TR Chronicles, etc., Lara was able to hold her breath much longer.

So is there anyone else who honestly despised or disliked this gimped "mechanic" ?

a_big_house
19th Nov 2015, 12:22
Yes, it sucks, but at least it's in the game :) Dont' worry though, you'll eventually get a gear item that will make all your problems disappear ;)

Tecstar70
19th Nov 2015, 16:18
Nope fine with me until you get the gear item.

witcherciri
19th Nov 2015, 16:50
Eventually you go get the underwater breather device further into the game...

But what bothered me most about swimming, was that I couldn't move downward. (Is this just me or?? ) She could only swim near the surface, which felt really constricting and awkward. Messes with the immersion. I did enjoy the ability to stealth kill from water though... :/

Tecstar70
23rd Nov 2015, 16:54
It would be nice to extend the mechanic to allow free movement - you never know for the next game!

NightRain'06
24th Nov 2015, 02:36
a_big_house and Tecstar70 ~ After posting this rant, I sort of suspected she'd be able to obtain some type of gear to breathe longer, eventually.

witcherciri ~ Exactly my point. Why can't she dive underwater and explore ?? This is what I mean by a gimped or broken mechanic ~~ in my eyes.

Tescstar70 ~ They should have made more of an effort to, again, provide her the freedom and ability to dive underwater and explore, even if it's for a little bit, and without the gear in this game.

And, returning to the swimming gear discussion ~ I'm fine with getting that in the game.

It's just, without it, she should still be able to at least explore small water areas where the depths would obviously be much shorter than an ocean.

~~~~~~

CD, why did you do it this way ?? :mad2:

Driber
26th Nov 2015, 23:20
I wasn't bothered by the way CD implemented underwater swimming in this game. And yes, it really is underwater swimming, regardless of how limited it is compared to the older games. IIRC the way that CD announced the underwater swimming before the release of the game already indicated that it was going to be a limited kind of swimming and not full on great underwater basins and puzzles like in the old games, so I didn't expected it to be like that anyway.

True, without the rebreather device Lara isn't able to hold her breath for long. But I was fine with that as well. There wasn't really that much water to explore in anyway.

I think the underwater swimming in this game was more of a way to slowly introduce the fans to the more elaborate underwater swimming that I'm expecting Lara to be doing in future games. The devs are trying to tell Lara's origin story, so it does fit well in that regard I think. I for one am looking forward to seeing more and more of Lara how she was (or rather, how she is destined to become ;)) in the next few games!

Why can't she dive underwater and explore ??

Because there was nothing TO explore...?

Eventually you go get the underwater breather device further into the game...

But what bothered me most about swimming, was that I couldn't move downward. (Is this just me or?? ) She could only swim near the surface, which felt really constricting and awkward. Messes with the immersion. I did enjoy the ability to stealth kill from water though... :/

It didn't really messed with my sense of immersion. I would just say that it was a little bit of getting used to the controls. It didn't feel very natural, but that may be more to do with my expectations based on me having played the older games than anything else. I think it worked okay enough for what this game was about.

Oh YES! How cool are those underwater stealth kills :thumb: Damn, we're really seeing more and more of the old BAD-ASS Lara again. :worship: I love it!

megabug7
27th Nov 2015, 01:39
Because there was nothing TO explore...?

Actually that's not entirely true -- there are two instances I can recall where you needed to explore underwater if you're a completionist (there are probably more areas that I can't think of right now).
That's all I'm saying

But in fairness the swimming was limited and quite linear and I hated tapping the 'B' button to speed up -- what is wrong with just holding the button down?

Driber
27th Nov 2015, 16:30
there are two instances I can recall where you needed to explore underwater if you're a completionist

Well, those places you could explore, right? So what's the problem?

But in fairness the swimming was limited and quite linear and I hated tapping the 'B' button to speed up -- what is wrong with just holding the button down?

I agree that holding down the B button to speed up would have been nicer. Luckily, though, because the swimming parts were so limited and linear as you said, I didn't really find it all that bothersome.

megabug7
27th Nov 2015, 17:53
Well, those places you could explore, right? So what's the problem?

Wasn't a problem for me, but I was hoping for more of 'that', and went back to double check all the swimmable places to see if I missed anything :)

I agree that holding down the B button to speed up would have been nicer. Luckily, though, because the swimming parts were so limited and linear as you said, I didn't really find it all that bothersome.

Hopefully they'll expand it in the next game - I'm satisfied with the game as a whole, and for me that's the main thing :)

Driber
29th Nov 2015, 13:05
Wasn't a problem for me, but I was hoping for more of 'that', and went back to double check all the swimmable places to see if I missed anything :)

I see. Fair enough.

Hopefully they'll expand it in the next game - I'm satisfied with the game as a whole, and for me that's the main thing :)

Agreed; it would be nice to see more complex swimming mechanics in TR11 :)

Gitb97
14th Dec 2015, 00:41
Raising my hand to say that I hate underwater swimming. Without the breathalizer(?) it's such a pain and I died so many times because of the fact she can't hold her breath. I don't mind it so much though after she gets the tool because I'm not constantly dying lol.

Valenka
14th Dec 2015, 00:43
I didn't find anything wrong with the swimming mechanics in the game at all. Sure, it wasn't anywhere as in-depth as Underworld, but I'm glad it returned and I think it was done well. I really love the underwater takedowns. :)

NightRain'06
14th Dec 2015, 04:54
I'm back. Sorry, I was enjoying and progressing more in the game ~~ again, despite this.

~~~~~~~

Driber ~ I did not know they would limit the swimming in this manner [ or have swimming at all ] because I don't research information on upcoming games so this is news to me.

~~~~~~~

And I came across another area where it seemed I could do a slight detour into another area to attain a collectible(?), instead of going straight through the main path. And, guess what ? I died twice.

I wanted to collect it, but with the frustration which instantly brewed in me, I just decided to continue without doing so.
[ Maybe there was no detouring area... ? I don't know..... because Lara died before I even could make her turn ! ]

Also, I realized the camera angle is a bit too close to her. I wish it was a bit further away so that I could see where the heck I'm going.

What I'm about to say may seem a bit off-topic, but if all of you can read on...

This will sound a bit far-fetched, I think, and I don't know if there's a "TR lore" or anything.
But, from an outsider's [ non-game developer ] perspective, if Lara's an outgoing person, which she seems to be, one would assume she would have an ambitious drive in learning.

So, here's my point ~ wouldn't she, at a young age, whether her parents' influence or of her own volition, maybe have already learned to swim in general ?

Just because this game is the previous story of her eventually becoming a tomb raider, regardless of that, I think she would have.

Also, CD could have implemented underwater puzzles e.g. lever flipping or some other method to access areas. I think, particularly for tombs because that type of variety would be interesting other than what we have now.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the other CD's games' mechanics....

And, I want to clarify something ~ I am not hating Crystal Dynamics for this game.

I'm enjoying it very much, but, I'm just pointing out what I do not like.