PDA

View Full Version : A flair for the Dramatic - Boasts

Oghamsmith
18th Nov 2015, 21:22
Across the annals of history, those of the Vampire kind have been known to exhibit somewhat of a flair for the dramatic. Who can blame them at their age?

Initially intended to be subversive mockery, the Humans of Nosgoth took that desire for drama to the next level, openly boasting about their victories and goading the Vampires before engaging in battle.

Whether you’re pro-Human or pro-Vampire, there’s no doubting the fact that being able to show-off and energise your team before stepping onto the field of battle can bring a nice little bit of additional joy to your day.

Boasts are brand new animations, custom built for each class. They play on the pre-match screen once you’ve selected your loadout for the first time per half, prior to the match commencing.

Without further ado, let’s take a look at one of the Boasts.

https://youtu.be/YMx4NC7C_H4

It won’t be too long before Boasts find their way into the Nosgoth store. Until then, be sure to let us know which class Boast you want us to highlight next!

Ygdrasel
18th Nov 2015, 22:09
Will there be default boasts given (like there are default executions), or must they all be bought?

KaininitePriestess
18th Nov 2015, 22:21
Hehehehe There's something so awesome about seeing the Prophet twirling her pistols. XD I'm totally loving it and can't wait to see the next ones!

Will there be alternate boasts for each class or just one per class? You mentioned that they'll take up the same slot as executions, so I was wondering how that would work out.

Vampmaster
18th Nov 2015, 22:33
Will they include vocals?

MedalCore
19th Nov 2015, 00:30
It would be cool if there was an after-game boast that can show off the winners boasts so you can rub it in the losers faces :P

GenFeelGood
19th Nov 2015, 02:34
Not that I don't find this cool, I just need some things clarified. These are only shown in the pregame, before a round starts; and only if you choose said class before the pregame period has ended, which most players don't do for strategic reasons? So at most you would only see this once every game?

Passarbye
19th Nov 2015, 02:58
Original post I really don't think these are the sort of things the art team should be working on right now.. We need more important things before bringing BOASTING to Nosgoth. All this sort of thing will bring is a worse community attitude towards each other during/after matches and I really don't think it has a place in Nosgoth.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to be staring at an animation after a match that's just going to make me want to stop playing anytime I get stomped. Not that it happens often, but it does happen to everyone at some point.

Sure, it would be cool to see more things with Nosgoth but I really don't think this is the direction we need to go. I personally think we should hear more of our teammates' battle cries (at 5 kills to go) rather than an enemies' after you die. You guys seem to just want us to be perpetually frustrated with the state of the game rather than genuinely enjoying it.

I love this game, I really do, but these sort of things sour the experience and make me want to move on to something even less worth my time, and it saddens me to say that. I LOVE the legacy of kain IP and I like what you guys are doing with it, but not these type of things.

Oghamsmith cleared things up in a later post, I'm all for this.

KaininitePriestess
19th Nov 2015, 05:15
I really don't think these are the sort of things the art team should be working on right now.. We need more important things before bringing BOASTING to Nosgoth. All this sort of thing will bring is a worse community attitude towards each other during/after matches and I really don't think it has a place in Nosgoth.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to be staring at an animation after a match that's just going to make me want to stop playing anytime I get stomped. Not that it happens often, but it does happen to everyone at some point.

Sure, it would be cool to see more things with Nosgoth but I really don't think this is the direction we need to go. I personally think we should hear more of our teammates' battle cries (at 5 kills to go) rather than an enemies' after you die. You guys seem to just want us to be perpetually frustrated with the state of the game rather than genuinely enjoying it.

I love this game, I really do, but these sort of things sour the experience and make me want to move on to something even less worth my time, and it saddens me to say that. I LOVE the legacy of kain IP and I like what you guys are doing with it, but not these type of things.

They said they're going to be in the pre-game team-roster screen before each round, not during the after-match screen, so don't worry about it being used to troll people.

Ygdrasel
19th Nov 2015, 05:24
They said they're going to be in the pre-game team-roster screen before each round, not during the after-match screen, so don't worry about it being used to troll people.

Wouldn't be trolling regardless. Not what that word means. Anyway, given what information we have, these ultimately sound like a waste of time.

snejjjj
19th Nov 2015, 10:06
Bug fixes can bring a nice little bit of additional joy to my day.

Oghamsmith
19th Nov 2015, 10:51
Will there be default boasts given (like there are default executions), or must they all be bought?
Execution animations are somewhat required to make the feeding system work, which is why there are default versions in place. Boasts are a nice little bonus for anyone who wants to pick them up, rather than a necessity, so there aren't any default boasts.

Hehehehe There's something so awesome about seeing the Prophet twirling her pistols. XD I'm totally loving it and can't wait to see the next ones!

Will there be alternate boasts for each class or just one per class? You mentioned that they'll take up the same slot as executions, so I was wondering how that would work out.
Glad you like it :). Right now we've got one boast per class, but it's entirely possible that we'll make more if there's enough interest in them.

Will they include vocals?
These don't, no. If we do make more, that would be entirely possible :).

It would be cool if there was an after-game boast that can show off the winners boasts so you can rub it in the losers faces :P
Something like that would be certainly be interesting. It would require the end of match system to be completely rebuilt, so it wouldn't be a small undertaking. Still, I would like to be able to show of the victorious team at the end of a match eventually. Hopefully we can make that happen at some stage :).

Not that I don't find this cool, I just need some things clarified. These are only shown in the pregame, before a round starts; and only if you choose said class before the pregame period has ended, which most players don't do for strategic reasons? So at most you would only see this once every game?
Sorry, we call it the pre-game screen internally...but it's the loadout selection screen before the start of each half. So players would typically see these twice per game.

We've got another minor improvement to the pre-game/loadout selection screen on the way. The update will ensure that all players have loaded into the game before the match commences, no more of those pesky 3v4 scenarios at the start of a game while a slow loading player is joining the server. The game will wait a maximum of 2 minutes from the moment loading commences. This system has the added side-effect of ensuring that more players will see the boast. Your assertion that most players don't choose a class before the pre-game period ends isn't quite on the mark; happily :).

I really don't think these are the sort of things the art team should be working on right now.. We need more important things before bringing BOASTING to Nosgoth. All this sort of thing will bring is a worse community attitude towards each other during/after matches and I really don't think it has a place in Nosgoth.
We had somewhat of a similiar concern to you regarding how these animations would affect interactions in-game. As others have highlighted, the animations play at the beginning of each half; and display for your team rather than the others. There's a reason that these are called Boasts rather than Taunts ;). They won't aggravate the opposition team. They're more of a fun little addition for those who want to use them, they certainly bring a small smile to my face whenever I see someone with one.

We've briefly mentioned our Voice Free communication system that we're working on, in other articles. Ryan will be delving into more detail a little later down the line, but it introduces a bit of a pinging system to Nosgoth; that will provide players with more tools to communicate in-game regardless of the language they speak. So yes, we are making improvements in the area of team coordination as well :)

As an aside, animators have nothing to do with these kind of communication systems/callouts. They're not detracting from any other areas by working on animations.

Bug fixes can bring a nice little bit of additional joy to my day.

Bug fixes are awesome...and we have released 6 updates over the last month and a half. We're crushing bugs as quickly as we can :)!

River_
19th Nov 2015, 11:18
Bug fixes are awesome...and we have released 6 updates over the last month and a half. We're crushing bugs as quickly as we can :)!

Yeah, but with every 3 bugs you fix, you break something you fixed the patch before that, while also creating an entirely new bugfix (sorry for sounding salty, but seriously, the summoner bolt has been 'fixed' 2 times now, and its still broken!)

But to come back to the topic: I really do not see the use of it.. So we see this twice every game? Then why would someone pick this over a possible vampire execution, which you can see around 5-7 times every game, depending on how good you can do? Also, if the humans get a seperate slot for this, why can't the vampires? ;-;

Last, I wonder how expensive it will be in the store. Is it 300, 500, 1000 runestones? I would really like to know (before I start calling it a money-grab).

Vampmaster
19th Nov 2015, 11:34
Yeah, but with every 3 bugs you fix, you break something you fixed the patch before that, while also creating an entirely new bugfix (sorry for sounding salty, but seriously, the summoner bolt has been 'fixed' 2 times now, and its still broken!)

But to come back to the topic: I really do not see the use of it.. So we see this twice every game? Then why would someone pick this over a possible vampire execution, which you can see around 5-7 times every game, depending on how good you can do? Also, if the humans get a seperate slot for this, why can't the vampires? ;-;

Last, I wonder how expensive it will be in the store. Is it 300, 500, 1000 runestones? I would really like to know (before I start calling it a money-grab).

It's probably just a UI thing. I expect they're waiting for the next overhaul to do that. For example, they'll probably need to make room for the 6th character class soon.

After the already announced stuff, I'd also want to see a tree view in the inventory where items of the same type collapse into a folder (no more separate slot taken by each individual chest) and to be able to see mysterious items level up on the end of match screen and then rename into Fire, Ice, Lightning, Shadow and Poison when maxed out. That way they become consistent with the Devil's, Winter and Molten items, which can also be mysterious.

Anyway, I think there'll be plenty of opportunities to add the extra slot for choosing boasts in one of those updates.

RainaAudron
19th Nov 2015, 11:37
Sorry, we call it the pre-game screen internally...but it's the loadout selection screen before the start of each half. So players would typically see these twice per game.

Can they not be bound to a key so you can do them anytime during the game?

The update will ensure that all players have loaded into the game before the match commences, no more of those pesky 3v4 scenarios at the start of a game while a slow loading player is joining the server.

Does this not mean that people who load fast will be forced to wait on the people loading slow?

Vampmaster
19th Nov 2015, 11:38

+1

River_
19th Nov 2015, 12:20

Seemingly they can't, because then it would be taunts, not boasts, and that would make people rage >_>

Oghamsmith
19th Nov 2015, 15:01

New bugs do indeed find their way into the game, such is the nature of live development I'm afraid. On one of the scale I've worked on games that released updates once every 6 weeks. On the other end of the scale, we've got Nosgoth where we've almost been releasing an update every week over the last little while, and I much prefer the responsive development nature that we've got going on with Nosgoth. In general we're reducing the amount of bugs in the game, and we've been able to deal with many of the bigger issues quite quickly.

As for Abyssal Bolt...third time's a charm, right? :P

As for choosing executions over Boasts. Sure, by all means; feel free to do that :). Humans however do not have Executions, so there's no conflict with them. Boasts are also slightly more likely to be noticed by the rest of your team, which may play into your decision making. It's all a matter of choice and personal preference really :).

The Humans don't get a separate slot for this so to speak, the slot used for this is the same as the one that Vampires use for Executions; the Humans have simply been given access to it for Boasts.

We're not quite ready to begin discussing pricing for the Boasts just yet.

It's probably just a UI thing. I expect they're waiting for the next overhaul to do that. For example, they'll probably need to make room for the 6th character class soon.

After the already announced stuff, I'd also want to see a tree view in the inventory where items of the same type collapse into a folder (no more separate slot taken by each individual chest) and to be able to see mysterious items level up on the end of match screen and then rename into Fire, Ice, Lightning, Shadow and Poison when maxed out. That way they become consistent with the Devil's, Winter and Molten items, which can also be mysterious.

Anyway, I think there'll be plenty of opportunities to add the extra slot for choosing boasts in one of those updates.
We are going to be making improvements to the inventory system in the not too distant future, not as large as the changes that you've selected, maybe we'll get their one day :).

As far as adding an additional slot to separate Executions/Boasts. It would be nice to be able to do that at some stage further down the line, but there are potential performance impacts that could occur as a result. Doing that would introduce more elements that need to be held in memory, which is something that we do need to be wary of. Still, I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

We would LOVE to do that, and fingers crossed we can make that happen some day. There are quite a few technical hurdles to overcome however. The trickiest and most time consuming is simply the fact that outside forces would be able to act upon the player boasting, which can't happen during pre-game. This can lead to god knows how many weird and wacky bugs. Basically, if someone were to attack the player while they were boasting we could see super stretchy limbs making another appearance, or other equally odd collision issues. Additionally, a great deal of animation blending would need to take place. And finally, a ton of QA.

So that's something that we would love to do, but we need to see if it's logistically possible at some stage.

Vampmaster
19th Nov 2015, 15:33
We are going to be making improvements to the inventory system in the not too distant future, not as large as the changes that you've selected, maybe we'll get their one day :).

Some of my suggestions were less of a priority than others. My main point was that the UI would need updating somewhere along the line and that would be the best time to add in extra slots for the boasts. However, showing "Chest x 5" would still be much better than "Chest, Chest, Chest, Chest, Chest" and of course a lot of us are really eager for the Rahabim.

RainaAudron
19th Nov 2015, 16:03
Basically, if someone were to attack the player while they were boasting we could see super stretchy limbs making another appearance, or other equally odd collision issues. Additionally, a great deal of animation blending would need to take place. And finally, a ton of QA.

I see, that´s a good point. Hope you guys can solve it at some point later.

Passarbye
19th Nov 2015, 18:02
Thanks for clearing things up Oghamsmith, I was really opposed to this idea initially but after hearing that only your teammates can see it, I think that's a much better implementation. Boast away! :nut:

Ygdrasel
20th Nov 2015, 00:43
Thanks for clearing things up Oghamsmith, I was really opposed to this idea initially but after hearing that only your teammates can see it, I think that's a much better implementation. Boast away! :nut:

How on Earth can you play a game all about killing others and be "really opposed" to the possible harming of their precious feelings? Anyone who would ever be legitimately upset by a fictional character being animated in a taunting way deserves to feel bad. And also should probably get outside more.

JanusDominus
20th Nov 2015, 04:56
New way to monetize the game without making it Pay2Win? Yes, please.

Da_Wolv
20th Nov 2015, 09:23
New way to monetize the game without making it Pay2Win? Yes, please.

Its fine. I doubt these will have a huge impact, maybe when the prize tag is right.

JanusDominus
20th Nov 2015, 12:46
Yeah, I was being serious, I'm all for the developers finding new ways to monetize the game in honest ways. In our day and age when even paid games made by lying hacks like Overkill go Pay2Win you can't help but greatly admire Psyonix and Square in their dedication to keep Nosgoth fair.

lucinvampire
20th Nov 2015, 13:09
Looking good gunslinging Prophet :D

For the Vampires, it should be noted that Boasts occupy the same slot as Executions.

I’m probably being really dumb here but I just want to clarify, as a vampire you can either have the default execution and a boast or your purchased execution and no boast, or is it you don’t get an execution animation at all? :scratch:

See that would be really cool! At the moment we either melee the air or roll about for entertainment purposes, this would give us something else to do :lol:

Varulven
20th Nov 2015, 16:37
Giving them more animations would make the characters more... alive. That would be awesome!

GenFeelGood
20th Nov 2015, 20:46
I've been thinking over this news and I have this suggestion, "If we are gonna boast, then we might as well gloat also."

Instead of just having it at the start, why not also have it at the end for the winning team as well? In the match summary, probably under the score tab, we see the winning team with each player represented by the class they finished the match in. There the class can either do the usual standby motions they currently do in the pregame and in the store, or they can perform the boasts (if the player owns them) as a way to gloat over their victory.

armaroth
20th Nov 2015, 21:22
New shop items ! Thats exactly what we need!
Not....you guys will never learn it

Phobophobian
20th Nov 2015, 23:46
I know the devs mentioned taunts coming a while ago but I had a different idea of how those "boasts" were going to be implemented. The match start screen is already there and it looks good as-is. I think it would be better if these boasts were allowed in-game. Animations mid-might can be a problem. But what if the boasts were allowed during a very short window for players that get the last kill while all others in the enemy team are dead? An icon pops up next to the abilities icons only during the time all enemy players are dead, only for the player that got the last kill, and the icon goes away as soon as an enemy respawns . That can also make for exciting moments/captures by players who get the last two (double), last three (triple) or even all four (a quad) kills followed quickly by a taunt.

Ygdrasel
21st Nov 2015, 01:13
For gloats/taunts rather than boasts, they could go the TF2 route with a small end-of-match window. The losing team can only flee or hide while the winners track them down, with the taunts all incorporating some manner of one-shot kill. In the Prophet's case, maybe a single point-blank headshot either preceding or following the gun twirl. It could give a small XP chunk ala Executions.

-Shiro-
22nd Nov 2015, 13:14
Given that the prophet is a mystic character, the cowboy gunslinger movement doesn't suit her at all, in my opinion. It seems to be an easy answer to the question "what could we do with her ? Oh, she got two pistols, let's make her roll these !"... I imagined some blood tentacles coming out of their arms, or something similar related to her "witch" status.

The deceiver one is awesome, though.

And if it's visible only at the beginning of the round by teammates, and replace the executions some already payed for, I think it's really useless. I hope you will really consider the possibility to launch it with a key whenever we want ;)

Vampmaster
22nd Nov 2015, 16:17
I don't think it's worth spending too much time making changes to the taunts. Finish them since they're started, but TBH, they don't add that much to either the gameplay, art or the lore.

The animator's time would be better spent on the Rahabim, IMO.

Oghamsmith
23rd Nov 2015, 01:16
I've been thinking over this news and I have this suggestion, "If we are gonna boast, then we might as well gloat also."

Instead of just having it at the start, why not also have it at the end for the winning team as well? In the match summary, probably under the score tab, we see the winning team with each player represented by the class they finished the match in. There the class can either do the usual standby motions they currently do in the pregame and in the store, or they can perform the boasts (if the player owns them) as a way to gloat over their victory.
Spot on. Some kind of end of match screen like this would be fantastic. With any luck, we'll have the chance to get there some day; we're taking our first step toward something like that with the release of Boasts

I know the devs mentioned taunts coming a while ago but I had a different idea of how those "boasts" were going to be implemented. The match start screen is already there and it looks good as-is. I think it would be better if these boasts were allowed in-game. Animations mid-might can be a problem. But what if the boasts were allowed during a very short window for players that get the last kill while all others in the enemy team are dead? An icon pops up next to the abilities icons only during the time all enemy players are dead, only for the player that got the last kill, and the icon goes away as soon as an enemy respawns . That can also make for exciting moments/captures by players who get the last two (double), last three (triple) or even all four (a quad) kills followed quickly by a taunt.It's great to see people thinking outside of the box. In general though, if we're going to get them in-game; triggering on-demand would be our preference.

Given that the prophet is a mystic character, the cowboy gunslinger movement doesn't suit her at all, in my opinion. It seems to be an easy answer to the question "what could we do with her ? Oh, she got two pistols, let's make her roll these !"... I imagined some blood tentacles coming out of their arms, or something similar related to her "witch" status.

The deceiver one is awesome, though.

And if it's visible only at the beginning of the round by teammates, and replace the executions some already payed for, I think it's really useless. I hope you will really consider the possibility to launch it with a key whenever we want ;)
We absolutely haven't ruled out making them triggerable(what's the internet for if not making up words?). We'd love to find some time to make that happen.

Oh and good news. Progress! Boasts have their own slots, so Vampires can still have Executions while choosing Boasts as well :).

River_
23rd Nov 2015, 08:49
Oh and good news. Progress! Boasts have their own slots, so Vampires can still have Executions while choosing Boasts as well :).

Yes, progress indeed. Now it is shaping into something I'd actually might want. Btw, I would like to add my vote to Phobobian. Having an option to trigger an taunt after the final kill would be awesome! :D (I do wonder how often I would be able to use it though. Sometimes the opponents really manage to cling to life, and when you finally finished those weak meatbags of, the next one arrives, taking away the opportunity for a well-deserved scowl)

But hopefully, it is only an option to trigger it. Not that after everybody dies, you automatically taunt (because this would take away those precious seconds you could've used to heal up)

ooh well, keep us updated!

lucinvampire
23rd Nov 2015, 13:04

That's great news! Now we don't have to make the hard choice between the two :)

perpetualodium
6th Dec 2015, 04:25
I've bought almost all of the boasts, and I do like them. They add a nice touch to the intro screen. Low impact. Low cost. Makes sense. The Deceiver boast is straight up murderous.

As an aside, animators have nothing to do with these kind of communication systems/callouts. They're not detracting from any other areas by working on animations.

If this is true, then I'd love to see another set of executions. Executions are where you guys and gals can get creative, and every single one to date has been badass.

Ygdrasel
8th Dec 2015, 03:11
If this is true, then I'd love to see another set of executions. Executions are where you guys and gals can get creative, and every single one to date has been badass.

Absolutely. More executions adds a little variety.

perpetualodium
8th Dec 2015, 20:13
Absolutely. More executions adds a little variety.

This might be a stretch, but once we have three sets of executions (default included), it'd be nice to have a random execution option.

Ygdrasel
10th Dec 2015, 21:00
This might be a stretch, but once we have three sets of executions (default included), it'd be nice to have a random execution option.

Nice idea. Sadly, probably you'd have to buy the option itself.