PDA

View Full Version : Voice Free Sytem

Heretic_13
16th Nov 2015, 13:25
Like in title. I thought somebody will pick it up, but since i can`t see anything in forum menu, i started this thread. If developers already know how it suppose to look and work, please close it down.
http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-state-of-play-october-2015
We can read about Voice Free Sytem in the upcoming winter, and i remember form somwhere in this forum, that some of us wouldn`t be very happy if this was simple "Follow me", "cover me", "on me" or "shoot this ****!".
I think developers would like to hear our suggestions rgarding, how we`d see commands working or even sounding
Personaly i have nothing against "shoot this ****!", when some vampire is mauling me to death, or "Slash this **** across his face!" when someone shoots at me from beyond my reach, but i can already see legions of "offended lore fanatics" that would impale me if i`d put this "obscene language" in "LoK" game so...
Here we go. Show me what you got :)

Vampmaster
16th Nov 2015, 13:36
Help me kind sir! (Just Kidding):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjwHglkxaBQ

Heretic_13
16th Nov 2015, 13:41
Nope, better would be: "`Tis but a scratch" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXY9TuuwyL8
:D

Bazielim
16th Nov 2015, 16:57
but i can already see legions of "offended lore fanatics" that would impale me if i`d put this "obscene language" in "LoK" game

I don't think taking offence has much to do with it - it's just unnecessary language in many contexts. Traditionally LoK characters simply had a much more intelligent and developed range of vocabulary. Even the lower classes don't really have a reputation for it. So why use the swearing at all? It just lowers the tone for no good reason. In the cases above "shoot it" would suffice.

Vampmaster
16th Nov 2015, 17:07
I don't think taking offence has much to do with it - it's just unnecessary language in many contexts. Traditionally LoK characters simply had a much more intelligent and developed range of vocabulary. Even the lower classes don't really have a reputation for it. So why use the swearing at all? It just lowers the tone for no good reason. In the cases above "shoot it" would suffice.

Besides, in those times people had a more creative selection of swear words than just variations on excrement and fornication.

Ygdrasel
16th Nov 2015, 23:01

I killed so many just to make them quit saying that...Actually, given BO's two endings, today we'd probably have the option to help.

I'm among the group that would rather avoid simple generic commands in favor of more atmospheric word choice. But I can't think of any at the moment. XD

Heretic_13
17th Nov 2015, 07:08
Well, i don`t mean to be... mean, but aren`t hunters scream "Rot, you ****! Rot!"? Well i dosen`t matter none, as i said i wouldn`t mind, or care. Wathever. You want it to be Shakespearean tragedy, fine by me. You want to turn it in to more homley and throw few **** around, it`s also fine
"In Kain`s name, follow me!", ", "In to the fray, brothers and sisters!"- instead "on me!"?
"Help me" i don`t think needs any improvement :) dramatic voice tone will suffice
"Get this leech off me!"- instead of "help", "Burn it! Send it to the Sun"- instead of "help me kill it"

Heretic_13
25th Nov 2015, 08:58
I played a little bit this week, a little tought from yesterdays whoping i recived- voice command that will be very quick to reach(not like in "Operation Flashpoint" where you need press Backspace, then number 1, then number 5 to ask medic for help) and tell my teammates to stay away from me would be useful. Too many times some Zephonim infected me and my pals seeing me in trouble tried to rescue me, infecting themselves in the process.
If they can`t help me, they should think about minimalizing damage

Ygdrasel
25th Nov 2015, 09:19
I played a little bit this week, a little tought from yesterdays whoping i recived- voice command that will be very quick to reach(not like in "Operation Flashpoint" where you need press Backspace, then number 1, then number 5 to ask medic for help) and tell my teammates to stay away from me would be useful. Too many times some Zephonim infected me and my pals seeing me in trouble tried to rescue me, infecting themselves in the process.
If they can`t help me, they should think about minimalizing damage

Early on (alpha), I set up a macro on one of my extra mouse buttons to open team chat, type up "Cattle over here!" then submit. For Sentinel scouting, y'know.

Not ideal, or even feasible for some, but it does alright for now. Could probably map some keyboard button to similar effect with appropriate software.

ParadoxicalOmen
25th Nov 2015, 10:16

Kidding? pfff..this is a MUST :D

Psyonix_Ryan
25th Nov 2015, 21:20
While we aren't planning to close the thread down, we will tell you that the user interface for Voice Free is rounding the final turn. We're in a testing and visual polish phase, but hopefully we'll have something to show you all soon.

The announcements that are made, in text format, will indicate, for example, Player X wants to attack Target Y. Hope that gives you an idea of how it will work.

Ygdrasel
26th Nov 2015, 01:40
The announcements that are made, in text format, will indicate, for example, Player X wants to attack Target Y. Hope that gives you an idea of how it will work.

That sounds like it'd just remove all need for awareness... o.O

Vampmaster
26th Nov 2015, 12:12
That sounds like it'd just remove all need for awareness... o.O

Like Ventrilo etc already do? Voice free is just putting those without extra hardware/software on a more equal footing to those that do. Most of the time all I hear when someone tries to use voice chat is crackling, popping and occasional swearing and I think my friends get the same from me. Voice free is much easier and less reliant on bandwidth.

I was kind of hoping it would include some pre-recorded voice callouts though.

Ygdrasel
26th Nov 2015, 22:57
Like Ventrilo etc already do?

Two wrongs is a great solution to anything.
And it really ought to include some voice in any case, yes. But, c'est la vie.

Vampmaster
27th Nov 2015, 10:23
Two wrongs is a great solution to anything.
And it really ought to include some voice in any case, yes. But, c'est la vie.

From what I understand, ventrilo is just a better version of what Nosgoth already tried to implement with the voice chat. Do you think voice chat should be removed altogether? It would be difficult to account for all 3rd party chat software and a lot of the users would complain as it's fairly common for really competitive players to use that sort of thing. Offering voice free as an alternative that those with less bandwidth, hardware issues and language barriers can use is the fairest option IMO.

Ygdrasel
28th Nov 2015, 21:31
Do you think voice chat should be removed altogether?

In general, yes. Voice chat of any kind, including third party, is a blight. Nothing breaks immersion or focus more than some staticy nasal voice popping up to sling a few F bombs or whine about his team (and that's even if the words can be made out) - these being my primary experience of Nosgoth's voice chat in particular, though it arises in the whole genre. Generally when it's used for actual strategy (and even then, it's an immersion-killing static mess), it's in a game of pre-made groups specifically looking to compete. Elsewhere, it's mostly a non-constructive mess.

And some sort of voice-free system for communication is fine.
I just think literally being able to announce whenever any given player is about to attack another, up to and including names is a bit overly-specific.