PDA

View Full Version : Game freezes often, causing full system reboot [Hardware Issue]

Kittytrip
14th Nov 2015, 20:31
I preordered this game with the season pass, and installed it early on my Xbox One. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times, reset my xbox several times, checked my network, and contacted xbox support, who ran through the full gamut of fixes with me. This is the only game on my system with this problem, and it is making it impossible to play because it freezes about 10 seconds into gameplay. I'm currently in the Soviet installation, but haven't yet infiltrated the prison camp. This issue has been happening since the beginning of the game, but only occasionally after Syria. There doesn't seem to be a trigger - sometimes it happens while I'm aiming, sometimes while I'm in the camp menu, and sometimes in the middle of combat or walking down a path. Seems pretty random, and SO SO frustrating because I've been eagerly awaiting this game and I adore Tomb Raider games! I realize this isn't a widespread issue, as I can't seem to find much about it on the forums, and my sister purchased the game and is playing it with no issues. But I have no idea where to go from here, as it doesn't seem to be a problem with my system or network. :(

Any ideas?

MeaganMarie
17th Nov 2015, 01:44
Hello there - very sorry you're having trouble! Do you have any access to another Xbox One to test and see if it is the game or a hardware issue?

MentallyNeil
17th Nov 2015, 12:26
I've been having a similar issue, although it doesn't require a hard reset, where I get random pauses for a few seconds and then everythings fine - just seems to happen at random - hardware is fine

Wondering if its some kind of issue with auto-saving or background data being uploaded to leaderboards? I have been having issues with delayed achievement notifications

Tecstar70
17th Nov 2015, 12:54
Are you guys installing from disc or digital download? Are you clearing your Xbox cache before reinstalling?

Have you got an older save that you can go back to and try from that? It might be worth you using multiple save slots and also using the backup saves to see what happens.

Info on backup saves [URL="http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=182989&p=2182925#post2182925"]HERE.

Kittytrip
17th Nov 2015, 21:38
Hey guys, thanks so much for the input!

TL/DR: I will be able to test a different machine in a week or two. I will also check with XBox Support again in case it has to do with their latest update. My last resort effort will be to delete my saved games, uninstall, reset my box again, clear cache again, reinstall and start over. I'll be sad about that.

To answer your questions:

Meagan Marie - I have access to my sister's xbox, but I'm not sure if it would use the version she downloaded, or the one that I keep downloading, since she is already playing it. I can test it on a friend's machine, but they live about an hour away, so it will be at least a week before I can get out there to test. I read on another thread that you suggested that perhaps this is a hardware issue that is specific only to Tomb Raider... I don't know much about how this all works, but that is a pretty interesting idea! Another friend of mine suggested that maybe it has to do with the new "XBox Experience" update that just rolled out. Before I try deleting my saved games (in case it was one of the first saves that got corrupted) and starting over, I'll check with XBox Support again to see if there is any way I can revert my system to before that update happened, and then try playing again.

Tecstar 70 - Thanks so much for trying to help! This is a digital download that completely installed before I tried to play it. It happened pretty frequently during Syria, but I was so jazzed by the game I just played through it (I'd play for a couple minutes, the machine would freeze and restart, then I'd play another few minutes before repeating that). After that, it happened only occasionally (maybe every 20-30 min, which was way less annoying). But here in the Soviet compound, it is happening every 10-60 seconds. Even if I try to travel out of the area. The second time I uninstalled and reinstalled it, I'd JUST cleared the cache first. Since this issue started when I first started the game, I don't have an earlier save to go back to, although I did try to use the backup save after my third uninstall/reinstall. It worked for about 3-4 minutes before it all started happening again.

MentallyNeil - Thanks for the input! That's a pretty good thought about the background info - although it doesn't seem to be tied to any items collected or new areas explored.

Thanks again for all suggestions! If you or anyone else can think of anything to try, please let me know!

nomad68
18th Nov 2015, 07:03
I will sometimes have the same problem but the problem I have the most is in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaWr2m99hDE

MentallyNeil
18th Nov 2015, 14:37
I haven't had any issues the past couple of days, which makes me wonder if it was somehow tied to the online component - I was having a few issues in general after the NXOE update (would get random brief disconnections from xbox live) but it seems to have settled now - I've not had any save data corruptions, but am alternating between 2 save slots just to be safe

Hope you can get your problems resolved Kittytrip:)

Kittytrip
22nd Nov 2015, 18:31
Welp, its something wrong with MY system, I guess. I brought my game on an external hard drive to my sister's, and she had just brought home a new xbox. I played for hours with no problems whatsoever. I am still pretty sad, because this is the ONLY game or app my xbox has any problems with, and I can't buy a new system just for ONE game, even if it is THIS game... :(

Does anyone know how I might have developed a hardware problem that ONLY occurs with TR?? Is there any way to fix it?

Tecstar70
22nd Nov 2015, 21:12
Welp, its something wrong with MY system, I guess. I brought my game on an external hard drive to my sister's, and she had just brought home a new xbox. I played for hours with no problems whatsoever. I am still pretty sad, because this is the ONLY game or app my xbox has any problems with, and I can't buy a new system just for ONE game, even if it is THIS game... :(

Does anyone know how I might have developed a hardware problem that ONLY occurs with TR?? Is there any way to fix it?

I can only think that it's possibly a hard drive problem if its the only game it happens on.

You could try uninstalling Rise and a few other games, completely power it off then checking of our Xbox has any updates. Clear your system cache then do a system reboot then install Rise again without installing the other games. It is a strange one. I take it your Xbox has good ventilation?

MeaganMarie
24th Nov 2015, 01:54
We're really sorry to hear this is a hardware issue!

Driber
24th Nov 2015, 23:39
You say you copied the game to an external hard drive. Can you play the game from that external hard drive?

Tecstar70
25th Nov 2015, 08:00
You say you copied the game to an external hard drive. Can you play the game from that external hard drive?

If you mean can you technically play it from the hard drive, then yes you can, but if you mean can Kittytrip play it without experiencing the problem then hopefully they will report back.

Driber
25th Nov 2015, 11:01
If you mean can you technically play it from the hard drive, then yes you can, but if you mean can Kittytrip play it without experiencing the problem then hopefully they will report back.

^ I meant the latter, but thanks :)