PDA

View Full Version : Current focus of Nogoth's development

TheDreamcrusher
6th Nov 2015, 06:16
I have to say, my expectations of what development could have focused on for the past year... Have been disappointed. I was expecting balance and revamp changes to abilities and class specialization but I guess the unspoken truth is that Square Enix is trying to figure out how they are going to make Nosgoth a sustainable money machine. I guess that also means establishing Nosgoth as an eSports game. (ick...)

The ranked leagues appear to be an experiment. I'm not even sure why there's so much emphasis at this point on solo and only duo team playing. The pro ESL crowd is more informed than me about the situation but it appears more money is being directed at solo ranked leagues than the ESL game groups, which is odd. Maybe individuals are more impulsive buyers.

Bug fixing also appears to be lower on the list of priorities than making the leagues a functioning thing. Duo teams can see the lobby? Fixed in 3-4 days. Continuous falling deceiver with silent footsteps? In progress. Granted, I know there's a level of difference in fixing the former and latter but still.

Along the way, I've been very enthusiastic about communicating feedback about class ability effectiveness and balance and yet that seems to fall on deaf ears. I'm guessing that's because the focus is on leagues, which is disappointing. I don't care about prizes, skins, or proving my rank through a continuous grind of lottery matches. I care about finding and perfecting ways to play in high-speed engagements with thoughtful ability and stat combinations. That's why I get excited most about new abilities or ability changes or the talent system that appears to be in progress. I just wanted all that ironed out sooner but that seems to be lower in priority on the list.

I don't think there's been a serious road map in a while either but I'm also guessing that Square Enix is calling the shots on what to focus on next and they haven't been very methodical about it. I'm also giving serious benefit of the doubt to Psyonix. Maybe we can get firmer dates on when classes, maps, abilities, or talent changes will be coming out and get Square Enix to back off a little on the must-figure-this-out-now mentality about the leagues. Also, I'm sure something is in development for matchmaking but I'm wondering why there's been such a tight lid on that. It's not like the community holds back on complaining anyway.

I don't know. Whatever. I hope something changes.

P.S.

I'm not buying keys for chests.

lucinvampire
6th Nov 2015, 12:58
Bug fixing also appears to be lower on the list of priorities than making the leagues a functioning thing. Duo teams can see the lobby? Fixed in 3-4 days. Continuous falling deceiver with silent footsteps? In progress. Granted, I know there's a level of difference in fixing the former and latter but still.

I am kinda glad I’m not the only one that noticed this…

Guardian1uk
6th Nov 2015, 13:07
it appears more money is being directed at solo ranked leagues than the ESL game groups
There was a dev blog about this, basicly as more players enter the ESL the larger the prize pool, at a default size it becomes the same as the in game leagues, however once it reaches a certain point it becomes double what the ingame leagues are worth ie 20k usd prize pool, and past another certain size 30k usd, so the ESL pool will get bigger as more play ESL which in turn will draw more to play for the bigger prizes.

Coding is never an easy job especially when your having to go through millions of lines of code etc looking for whats been misplaced, causing unexpected reactions etc, from the sounds of things locating the issue allowing duo teams to see the lobby was a quick and easy thing, where as I know the deceivers currently dont always do the floaty/falling thing, so the devs job is harder struggling to duplicate the original issue to find out whats actually causing it, to be able to fix it.

Along the way, I've been very enthusiastic about communicating feedback about class ability effectiveness and balance and yet that seems to fall on deaf ears. I'm guessing that's because the focus is on leagues, which is disappointing. I don't care about prizes, skins, or proving my rank through a continuous grind of lottery matches. I care about finding and perfecting ways to play in high-speed engagements with thoughtful ability and stat combinations. That's why I get excited most about new abilities or ability changes or the talent system that appears to be in progress. I just wanted all that ironed out sooner but that seems to be lower in priority on the list.

There's only so much so many devs can do at one stage.

I don't think there's been a serious road map in a while either but I'm also guessing that Square Enix is calling the shots on what to focus on next and they haven't been very methodical about it. I'm also giving serious benefit of the doubt to Psyonix. Maybe we can get firmer dates on when classes, maps, abilities, or talent changes will be coming out and get Square Enix to back off a little on the must-figure-this-out-now mentality about the leagues. Also, I'm sure something is in development for matchmaking but I'm wondering why there's been such a tight lid on that. It's not like the community holds back on complaining anyway.

Well there might be a tight lid on things because promising dates for xyz to be done and released causes you issues if something comes up/goes wrong and you can't get it out the door (or rather shouldn't get it out the door as it's got issues and isn't finished) Psyonix is NOT EA or ACTIVISION.
As for missing published roadmap deadlines etc, go have a look at star citizen sometime....

TheDreamcrusher
6th Nov 2015, 15:39
There was a dev blog about this, basicly as more players enter the ESL the larger the prize pool, at a default size it becomes the same as the in game leagues, however once it reaches a certain point it becomes double what the ingame leagues are worth ie 20k usd prize pool, and past another certain size 30k usd, so the ESL pool will get bigger as more play ESL which in turn will draw more to play for the bigger prizes.

I thought the main complaint here was that the size of the ESL player pool needed for $10k would take too long to be finished on weekends in a timely fashion.

kLauE187
6th Nov 2015, 16:36
I thought the main complaint here was that the size of the ESL player pool needed for $10k would take too long to be finished on weekends in a timely fashion.

It's more than unrealistic to ever reach 64 teams. We don't even reach the first step for a bigger pricepool in EU which is when 24 teams sign in. The truth is that they lowered the pricemoney for first from 300€ + 4k runestones to 250€ + 0 runestones but they always state that pricemoney got raised which is a plain lie.

Firehex
6th Nov 2015, 17:04
I have to say, my expectations of what development could have focused on for the past year... Have been disappointed. I was expecting balance and revamp changes to abilities and class specialization

Muhahah, good luck with that =)):rasp: I asked about some meta changes with,lets say "sentinel popularity problem". Some people said:"Hey, sentinel is not OP, learn to dodge!".Okay, then buff other classes, so i will stop seeing 2 sentinels every game.
Lots of players agreed what nerfing puncture angle/animation speed or removing stagger effect from abduct on low height will be enough. Any fixes from devs ? Nope. :D
Remember agility talent, which made reaver with pounce vialable choice again ? What did they do with that ? Nerfed to dust. Everyone keeps using kick now again...
Weapons ? Lots of UP, which noone using like alchi grenade laucnher with sticky nades or reaver leap attack. They could buff them a bit, but not - lets make more chests!!!
Sorry to destroy your dreams Dream, but they are not thinking about balance at all. Just forget about it and keep enjoying sentinel every game.

TheDreamcrusher
6th Nov 2015, 19:28
Sorry to destroy your dreams Dream, but they are not thinking about balance at all. Just forget about it and keep enjoying sentinel every game.

Haha, too funny. I do like Leap Attack though. I am going to give it a try more often in future games.

Kootkha
6th Nov 2015, 23:11
Mostly agreed with topic starter.