PDA

View Full Version : Things you learn at the movies.

MAGGIE
29th Jun 2002, 19:56
During all police investigations it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.

All telephone numbers in America begin with the digits 555.

Most dogs are immortal.

If being chased through town, you can usually take cover in a passing St. Patrick's Day parade - at any time of the year.

All beds have special L-shaped cover sheets which reach up to the armpit level on a woman but only to waist level on the man lying beside her.

All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French Bread.

It's easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in the control tower to talk you down.

Once applied, lipstick will never rub off - even while scuba diving.

The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place. No-one will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building you want without difficulty.

If you need to reload your gun, you will always have more ammunition -even if you haven't been carrying any before now.

You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to speak the language. Even a bad German accent will do.

If your town is threatened by an imminent natural disaster or killer beast, the mayor's first concern will be the tourist trade or his forthcoming art exhibition.

The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.

A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.

If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

When paying for a taxi, don't look at your wallet as you take out a bill just grab one at random and hand it over. It will always be the exact fare.
:rolleyes:

Runtime
29th Jun 2002, 21:54
I think someone has way too much time on their hands.:rolleyes:

MAGGIE
29th Jun 2002, 21:59
Who me!!!??? :eek:

Nah, just a few observations, I thought you all should be aware of.:D

MAGGIE
29th Jun 2002, 22:02
I just want to know where I can get one of those special L-shaped cover sheet..thats all. :rolleyes:

ICEBreaker
29th Jun 2002, 23:39
Maggie!!! Did you write that? It is so funny and well observed!! All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French Bread. That applies to me in real life too... yummy stick... I use it to beat people with it... heh heh. It is so cool that we get our own Community Chat forum. Now we can talk about off topic stuff like this to people we LIKE!
/hands Runtime a doughnut...

MAGGIE
30th Jun 2002, 11:52
Glad you enjoyed it Ice, You like stick bread?..so do I, but only as long as it stays really fresh. :)

Yes, it is nice having this place to talk about things other than PE......

//*HIts Runtime over the head with my stick bread...and takes his doughnut..* :D

ICEBreaker
30th Jun 2002, 14:25
Ha ha ha, poor Runtime.

Yeah I do eat baguette. The problem as you have noted is that not long after I get it home, it hardens and isn't as nice as it should be. I always eat baguette with a glass of Perrier water and a lovely lemon.

Runtime
1st Jul 2002, 08:19
Originally posted by Maggie
Yes, it is nice having this place to talk about things other than PE......

And much quieter then that mash pit (Community Chat). I can actually hear my self think ;)

+- Smushes the doughnut in Maggie’s face as she tries to eat it. :D -+

ICEBreaker
1st Jul 2002, 09:11
Ha ha ha... oh poor Maggie!!!

* takes photo of this exceedingly comical situation *

MAGGIE
1st Jul 2002, 20:41
Originally posted by Runtime

And much quieter then that mash pit (Community Chat). I can actually hear my self think ;)

+- Smushes the doughnut in Maggie’s face as she tries to eat it. :D -+

I quite agree with your comment Runtime. The words cattle and market springs to mind :rolleyes:

* Takes my stick bread and crumbles it into Runtimes hair along with all the goo from the doughnut on my face.*

Sir Henry Morgan
2nd Jul 2002, 00:04
LOL! :D

You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

Providing you are American of course.
If you are unlucky enough to be German or Japanese then you have very little hope.
You will find that your bullets are ineffective and no matter how well you aim you can never hit your enemy, that while the Americans can run through hails of fire without being touched you and all your comrades will be slaughtered wholesale because your enemy never misses, even when they aren't looking.

MAGGIE
2nd Jul 2002, 20:40
Ha Ha Henry, Of course that would depend on which country the film was actually made in, each favors thier own I presume. :D

Bullet ridden monkey
2nd Jul 2002, 22:59
If you ever find yourself in a life threatening situation along with a child, never ever say anything or do anything that could possibly be taken as being "mean" to the child - doing otherwise means instant death.

Sir Henry Morgan
3rd Jul 2002, 04:52
I watched a German movie recently about a U-Boat.
Just about all of them got killed and their ship destroyed.
So no, they can't even win in their movies ;)

Plasmaball
3rd Jul 2002, 19:43
"If you need to reload your gun, you will always have more ammunition -even if you haven't been carrying any before now. "

You will only need to reload your weapon if it looks good to see you pop the clip out and slide a fresh one in. otherwise you will never run out.

i have seen movies where hte hero had over a hundred rounds without changing magazines (yes you Mel Gibson)

MAGGIE
3rd Jul 2002, 20:46
LOL Henry, I thought the goodies were the ones from whichever Country the film was actually made, guess I am wrong...again!.

Yes Plasmaball, I have noticed that also, especially like you say in Mel Gibson movies! :D

I have to agree with you there BRM. :D

MAGGIE
3rd Jul 2002, 22:15
Part 2

Interbreeding is genetically possible with any creature from elsewhere in the universe.

Kitchens don't have light switches. When entering a kitchen at night, you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.

If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises in their most revealing underwear.

Word processors never display a cursor on screen but will always say: Enter Password Now.

Mothers routinely cook eggs, bacon and waffles for their family every morning even though their husband and children never have time to eat it.

Cars that crash will almost always burst into flames.

The Chief of Police will always suspend his star detective - or give him 48 hours to finish the job.

A single match will be sufficient to light up a room the size of RFK Stadium.

Medieval peasants had perfect teeth.

Although in the 20th century it is possible to fire weapons at an object out of our visual range, people of the 23rd century will have lost this technology.

Any person waking from a nightmare will sit bolt upright and pant.

It is not necessary to say hello or goodbye when beginning or ending phone conversations.

:D :rolleyes:

Sir Henry Morgan
3rd Jul 2002, 22:58
LOL!!! :D :D :D

Part 2 is even better than the first :D

mrdefender
7th Jul 2002, 06:06
Best to bring an extra pair of shoes.. (for all the bubble gum..)

The good guys should bother fighting, in the end they'll win..

Has anyone ever seen a movie when "evil" actually wins? (and doesnt loose in a sequel or such).

ICEBreaker
7th Jul 2002, 07:07
Many. Arlington Road, The Usual Suspects... etc. Granted they have no sequels...

mrdefender
7th Jul 2002, 07:24
never heard of em.

when were they made/shown?

ICEBreaker
7th Jul 2002, 07:55
They are very old in the 90s, in the era when films were more interesting then the current "feel good" ones. I generally enjoy 80s and 90s films. Films change every 5 years or so. There are also good films now, but the genre is a little bit less interesting for me. The military ones are terrible now.

mrdefender
7th Jul 2002, 17:34
hmm. was 7 at the time.. u'd think u'd here about it at any age..

I still have no clue what they are. oh well. ill take ur word for it.

mrdefender
7th Jul 2002, 17:46
How about these?

Money is best spent bribe-ing (??) someone to keep quiet than to purchase a 10$ small pop-corn and drop of coke..

Never get a refil while watching your most anticipated movie.

You'll always be seating behind someone taller than yourself..

radiation is a good thing. (spider-man, hulk, etc..)

Chickens will always remain on the ground while cows will not be able to avoid a tornado... (thats an odd one..)

Falling off a cliff doesnt necessarily mean he's dead. (or she)

Yoda can kick butt!

(This one relates to most recent movies)
Trailers are supposed to decieve you..

~ Episode 2 Trailer w/ Yoda that has the same "Ultimate Spin" as the spider-man trailer.

~ Scooby-doo trailer making you think it's really a batman movie..

~ Eight Legged Freaks making you think its another spider-man (if it <blahs> like a spider... if it <something else> like a spider>)

Rook
8th Jul 2002, 07:28
LOL :D I just want to say, this whole thread gave me the best laugh I've had in quite awhile!:D

How about: Gangs of street thugs or ninjas will always attack one at the time while the others politely wait their turn.

:D

mrdefender
8th Jul 2002, 17:36
Good guys will kick *** with one ammo clip while bad guys can go thru the US army's entire ammo reserv and miss every shot...

MAGGIE
8th Jul 2002, 19:56
LOL Mrdefender and Rook, good ones. :)

Welcome to our forum Rook,feel free to pop in whenever you are in the area. !:D

mrdefender
8th Jul 2002, 19:59
If a-s-s is censored, what keeps ppl from writing *** ? :confused:

EDITED: I keep doing adding - to smiles and it wrecks em.

MunkeeChum
8th Jul 2002, 20:01
If you havn't had much luck with your love life then there is a 50/50 chance your going to knock a nice looking person over and help pick up anything they dropped. Then the odds are 9/5 that you are going to bump heads while doing so.

If you spend a long time with someone and have a great time but never find out their name, you are soulmates.

A hero may get fatally wounded but will never feel the pain until the last bad guy is dead.

If you are a child in an action film you will always be an expert in something, half the time its computer hacking.

mrdefender
8th Jul 2002, 20:03
Here's a good one

Americans have no idea what canada is..

MunkeeChum
8th Jul 2002, 20:21
Originally posted by mrdefender
Here's a good one

Americans have no idea what canada is..

Hehe..

Thats a what not a where.. their not really that ignorant are they?? :p

MAGGIE
8th Jul 2002, 20:43
Mrdefender it is against TOU to substitute a character on a word that is banned..that is why people dont use @.

mrdefender
8th Jul 2002, 20:47
I gathered as much.

But I was once in charge of (admin) of a board for a clan for the game Tribes. rules didnt seem to stop some ppl...

Ofcourse, im not one to disobey the rules. well.. unless I have a question like the one above..

Sir Henry Morgan
8th Jul 2002, 22:57
I know what Canada is.

It is a place near the North Pole.

The people who live there are called eskimos.

The sun only comes out 2 hours a day.

They survive on seals and salmon.

For a special treat they eat whale blubber.

Everyone lives in igloos

To keep warm they cuddle penguins at night.

The cars there have skis instead of wheels.

Most of them don't have engines they are pulled by dogs.

I hope this answers your question :D

mrdefender
9th Jul 2002, 04:47
we're the 2nd largets land mass in the world and no one has a clue whats going on.

I bet if we were to attack another country, they wouldnt see us comming.

Rook
9th Jul 2002, 06:05
Welcome to our forum Rook,feel free to pop in whenever you are in the area. !:D

Thankyaz!:D

How about: Bad guys who get the upper hand in a fight will always feel the need to make a speech, thus allowing their intended victim to recover just enough to beat the cheese out of them.

People wounded in any arm or leg will have no trouble continuing to use it normally in a fight.

Wounds in any arm or leg will occasionally grow tired of their present location and hop to the opposite arm or leg.

;) :D

mrdefender
9th Jul 2002, 06:50
Credits roll too fast so you have barely enough time to figgure out who played that guy and it will bother you for the entire evening and until you go check it on the web (or call a friend).

ICEBreaker
9th Jul 2002, 07:09
we're the 2nd largets land mass in the world and no one has a clue whats going on.
Canada is the second largest country in the world, but the fourth largest landmass. Just a technical correction. :)

mrdefender
9th Jul 2002, 20:58
hey its not my fault. its the I am canadian commercial (beer commercial) that says its a 2nd largest land mass.. I assumed they did their research.

then again.. it has been a while since I saw that commerical.

Goku Noble Warrior
9th Jul 2002, 23:01
Laws of Anime
Version 6.0
Compiled and edited by
Ryan Shellito and Darrin Bright
The Laws of Anime is a growing list of physical, universal, and natural phenomenon that seem to appear in various forms in all sorts of anime. The original intent was an effort to classify these incidents into a list of "laws" that explained how Anime physics are different from our own (real?) world. Due to the rather dynamic nature of Anime Science, theories and paradigms are generally in a state of constant flux, often shifting or changing with the tide of whimsy. By no means all-inclusive and sometimes not even remotely instructive, the following is an enumerated list of semi-empirical islands in an ocean of conjecture. It is our hope that you find them useful to studying Anime, or at the very least, worth a good chuckle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 - Law of Metaphysical Irregularity

The normal laws of physics do not apply.
#2 - Law of Differentiated Gravitation
Whenever someone or something jumps, is thrown, or otherwise is rendered airborne, gravity is reduced by a factor of 4.

#3 - Law of Sonic Amplification, First Law of Anime Acoustics
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there is no air to get in the way.

#4 - Law of Constant Thrust, First Law of Anime Motion
In space, constant thrust equals constant velocity.

#5 - Law of Mechanical Mobility, Second Law of Anime Motion
The larger a mechanical device is, the faster it moves. Armored Mecha are the fastest objects known to human science.

#6 - Law of Temporal Variability
Time is not a constant. Time stops for the hero whenever he does something 'cool' or 'impressive'. Time slows down when friends and lovers are being killed and speeds up whenever there is a fight.

#7 - First Law of Temporal Mortality
'Good Guys' and 'Bad Guys' both die in one of two ways - either so quick they don't even see it coming, OR it's a long drawn out affair where the character gains much insight to the workings of society, human existence or why the toast always lands butter side down.

#8 - Second Law of Temporal Mortality
It takes some time for bad guys to die... regardless of physical damage. Even when the 'Bad Guys' are killed so quickly they didn't even see it coming, it takes them a while to realize they are dead. This is attributed to the belief that being evil damages the Reality Lobe of the brain.

#9 - Law of Dramatic Emphasis
Scenes involving extreme amounts of action are depicted with either still frames or black screens with a slash of bright color (usually red or white).

#10 - Law of Dramatic Multiplicity
Scenes that only happen once, for instance, a 'Good Guy' kicks the 'Bad Guy' in the face, are seen at least 3 times from 3 different angles.

#11 - Law of Inherent Combustibility
Everything explodes. Everything.
First Corollary -
Anything that explodes bulges first.
Second Corollary -
Large cities are the most explosive substances known to human science. Tokyo in particular seems to be the most unstable of these cities, sometimes referred to as "The Matchstick City".

#12 - Law of Phlogistatic Emission
Nearly all things emit light from fatal wounds.

#13 - Law of Energetic Emission
There is always an energy build up (commonly referred to as an energy 'bulge') before Mecha or space craft weapons fire. Because of the explosive qualities of weapons, it is believed that this is related to the Law of Inherent Combustibility.

#14 - Law of Inverse Lethal Magnitude
The destructive potential of any object/organism is inversely proportional to its mass.
First Corollary -
Small and cute will always overcome big and ugly. Also known as the A-Ko phenomenon.

#15 - Law of Inexhaustibility
No one *EVER* runs out of ammunition. That is of course unless they are cornered, out-numbered, out-classed, and unconscious.

#16 - Law of Inverse Accuracy
The accuracy of a 'Good Guy' when operating any form of fire-arm increases as the difficulty of the shot increases. The accuracy of the 'Bad Guys' when operating fire-arms decreases when the difficulty of the shot decreases. (Also known as the Storm trooper Effect) Example: A 'Good Guy' in a drunken stupor being held upside down from a moving vehicle will always hit, and several battalions of 'Bad Guys' firing on a 'Good Guy' standing alone in the middle of an open field will always miss.
First Corollary -
The more 'Bad Guys' there are, the less likely they will hit anyone or do any real damage.
Second Corollary -
Whenever a 'Good Guy' is faced with insurmountable odds, the 'Bad Guys' line up in neat rows, allowing the hero to take them all out with a single burst of automatic fire and then escape.
Third Corollary -
Whenever a 'Good Guy' is actually hit by enemy fire, it is in a designated 'Good Guy Area', usually a flesh wound in the shoulder or arm, which restricts the 'Good Guy' from doing anything more strenuous than driving, firing weaponry, using melee weapons, operating heavy machinery, or doing complex martial arts maneuvers.

#17 - Law of Transient Romantic Unreliability
Minmei is a bimbo.

#18 - Law of Hemoglobin Capacity
The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure.

#19 - Law of Demonic Consistency
Demons and other supernatural creatures have at least three eyes, loads of fangs, tend to be yellow-green or brown, but black is not unknown, and can only be hurt bladed weapons.

#20 - Law of Militaristic Unreliability
Huge galaxy-wide armadas, entire armies, and large war machines full of cruel, heartless, bloodthirsty warriors can be stopped and defeated with a single insignificant example of a caring/loving emotion or a song.
First Corollary -
(from Adam Barnes)
Whenever a single war machine (mecha, starship, etc.) goes up against an entire army, the army always loses.

#21 - Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

#22 - Law of Inconsequential Undetectability
People never notice the little things... like missing body parts, or wounds the size of Seattle.

#23 - Law of Juvenile Intellectuality
Children are smarter than adults. And almost always twice as annoying.

#24 - Law of Americanthropomorphism
Americans in Anime appear in one of two roles, either as a really nasty skinny 'Bad Guy' or a big stupid 'Good Guy'.
First Corollary -
The only people who are more stupid than the big dumb Americans are the American translators. (Sometimes referred to as the Green Line Effect)
Second Corollary -
The only people who are more stupid than the American translators are the American editors and censors.

#25 - Law of Mandibular Proportionality
(from A. Hicks, Tom Williams, and Ben Leinweber)
The size of a person's mouth is directly proportional to the volume at which they are speaking or eating.

#26 - Law of Feline Mutation
(from A. Hicks)
Any half-cat/half-human mutation will invariably:
1) be female
2) will possess ears and sometimes a tail as a genetic mutation
3) wear as little clothing as possible, if any

#27 - Law of Conservation of Firepower
(from Tom Williams)
Any powerful weapon capable of destroying/defeating an opponent in a single shot will invariably be reserved and used only as a last resort.

#28 - Law of Technological User-Benevolence
(from Tom Williams)
The formal training required to operate a spaceship or mecha is inversely proportional to its complexity.

#29 - Law of Melee Luminescence
(from Tom Williams)
Any being displaying extremely high levels of martial arts prowess and/or violent emotions emits light in the form of a glowing aura. This aura is usually blue for 'good guys' and red for 'bad guys'. This is attributed to Good being higher in the electromagnetic spectrum than Evil.

#30 - Law of Non-Anthropomorphic Antagonism
(from Tom Williams)
All ugly, non-humanoid alien races are hostile, and usually hell-bent on destroying humanity for some obscure reason.

#31 - Law of Follicular Chromatic Variability
(from Spellweaver)
Any color in the visible spectrum is considered a natural hair color. This color can change without warning or explanation.

#32 - Law of Follicular Permanence
Hair in anime is pretty much indestructable, and can resist any amount of meteorological conditions, energy emissions, physical abuse, or explosive effects and still look perfect. The only way to hurt someone's hair is the same way you deal with demons... with bladed weapons!

#33 - Law of Topological Aerodynamics, First Law of Anime Aero-Dynamics
*ANY* shape, no matter how convoluted or odd-looking, is automatically aerodynamic.

#34 - Law of Probable Attire
(from various sources)
Clothing in anime follows certain predictable guidelines.
Female characters wear as little clothing as possible, regardless of whether it is socially or meteorologically appropriate. Any female with an excessive amount of clothing will invariably have her clothes ripped to shreds or torn off somehow. If there is no opportunity to tear off the afore-mentioned female's clothes, then she will inexplicably take a shower for no apparent reason (also known as the Gratuitous Shower Scene).

Whenever there is a headwind, Male characters invariably wear a long cloaks that don't hamper movement and billow out dramatically behind them.

First Corollary (Cryo-Adaptability) -
All anime characters are resistant to extremely cold temperatures, and do not need to wear heavy or warm clothing in snow.
Second Corollary (Indecent Invulnerability) -
(from Nyctomania)
Bikinis render the wearer invulnerable to any form of damage.

#35 - Law of Musical Omnipotence
Any character capable of musical talent (singing, playing an instrument, etc.) is automatically capable of doing much more "simple" things, like piloting mecha, fighting crime, stopping an intergalactic war, and so on...especially if they have never attempted these things before.

#36 - Law of Quintupular Agglutination
(from Daniel Mikula)
Also called "The Five-man Rule", when "Good Guys" group together, it tends to be in groups of five. There are five basic positions, which are:
1) The Hero/Leader
2) His Girlfriend
3) His Best Friend/Rival
4) A Hulking Brute
5) A Dwarf/Kid
Between these basic positions are distributed several attributes, which include:
1) Extreme Coolness
2) Amazing Intelligence
3) Incredible Irritation

#37 - Law of Extradimensional Capacitance
(from Jason Bustard)
All anime females have an extradimensional storage space of variable volume somewhere on their person from which they can instantly retrieve any object at a moment's notice.
First Corollary (a.k.a. The Hammer Rule) -
(from Ferdinand Pelayo)

The most common item stored is a heavy mallet, which can be used with unerring accuracy on any male who deserves it. Other common items include costumes/uniforms, power suits/armor, and large bazookas.

#38 - Law of Hydrostatic Emission
Eyes tend to be rather large in Anime. This is because they contain several gallons of water, which may be instantaneously released at high pressure through large tear ducts. The actual volume of water contained in the eyes is unknown, as there is no evidence to suggest that these reservoirs are actually capable of running out. The reason water tends to collect in the eyes is because Anime characters only have one large sweat gland, which is located at the back of the head. When extremely stressed, embarrassed, or worried, this sweat gland exudes a single but very large drop of sebaceous fluid.
First Corollary -
(from Audrey Eagle)

The amount of fluid a person can emit from their tear ducts is inversley proportionate to their size

#39 - Law of Inverse Attraction
Success at finding suitable mates is inversely proportionate to how desperately you want to be successful. The more you want, the less you get, and vice versa.
First Corollary -

Unfortunately, this law seems to apply to Otaku in the real world...

#40 - Law of Nasal Sanguination
(from Ryan Pritchard and Jason Aylen)
When sexually aroused, males in Anime don't get erections, they get nosebleeds. No one's sure why this is, though... the current theory suggests that larger eyes means smaller sinuses and thinner sinus tissue (see Law #38 above). Females don't get nosebleeds, but invariably get one heck of a blush along the cheeks and across the nose, suggesting a lot of bloodflow to that region.

#41 - Law of Xylolaceration
(from Lyndon Harris)
Wooden or bamboo swords are just as sharp as metal swords, if not sharper.

#42 - Law of Juvenile Omnipotence
(from Erin Alia)
Always send a boy to do a man's job. He'll get it done in half the time and twice the angst.

#43 - Law of Triscaquadrodecophobia
There is no Law #43.

#44 - Law of Nominative Clamovocation
(from Luiko-Ysabeth and Adrian Hsiah)
The likelihood of success and damage done by a martial arts attack is directly proportional to the volume at which the full name of the attack is announced.

#45 - Law of Uninteruptable Metamorphosis
(from R. A. Hubby)
Regardless of how long or involved the transformation sequence or how many times they've seen it before, any 'Bad Guys' witnessing a mecha/hero/heroine transforming are too stunned to do anything to interrupt it.

#46 - Law of Flimsy Incognition
(from Conrad Knauer)
Simply changing into a costume or wearing a teensy mask can make you utterly unrecognizable to even your closest friends and relatives.

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 00:02
wow. never knew anime was so interesting...

I remember watch dbz.. on our local chanel, they didnt provide alot of new episodes so i just got tired of seeing the same show 10 times..

But it was good.

Sir Henry Morgan
10th Jul 2002, 01:54
whats anime? :o :confused:

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 02:20
Japanese Animation

Channel TEN - CheezTV
7am - 8:30am (Weekdays)
7:30am - 9am (Saturdays)

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 02:31
usually involves sci-fi related stories.

one of the more know anime shows is dragon ball/dragon ball z.

ask goku for more info, he seems to follow it closely.

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 06:07
The most famous one which every adult knows is of course Pokémon.

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 07:55
well.. now yah. heck, i even used to play it.

I dont have trading cards and I dont know all (how many now? 300+ ?) of their names...

i got them from the internet cough

u can get anything off the internet now.

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 08:02
Currently there are 251 Pokémon. More coming soon!

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 08:13
there are more than 251 pokemon that I know. theres the 2 mew (in movie) and the other league the main character goes to..

The other league has the pokemon of gold and silver.

Like I said... I had the games.

The wierd part is that I payed 200 for the gameboy and all 5 pokemon games and i got nearly 2x the price when I traded it in at electronics boutique.

This was shortly after the gameboy advanced was released. (or shortly before)

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 08:24
I think you got confused. There were originally 151 Pokémon in R/B/Y (Kanto League on the Indigo Plateau). Mew is 150 and Mewtwo is 151. Later Ash embarked on the Orange League which used the same set of Pokémon. Now Ash is preparing for the Johto League which includes the Johto Pokémon expanding the total number of Pokémon to 251 in G/S/C.

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 08:25
i thought mew was 251? didnt u need to go to a nintendo convention to get it enabled? plus mewtwo was in the game, u can capture it (with the master ball) after you defeated the original league...

ok.. so i guess i know more about pokemon than I thought..

this was 3 years ago and I have problems remembering what I ate for supper last week :-/

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 08:31
No, Celebi is 251. I just noticed I made a mistake though. Mew is 151 and Mewtwo is 150, not the other way round. You get Mew and Celebi transferred at Pokémon conventions. Mewtwo can be caught before defeating the Kanto League. It doesn't require a masterball either.

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 08:38
now i know why i stopped playing...

following all these pokemon # gives me a head ache.

personally, i'd rather calculate pie.. (or is it spelled pi?) i dont know how to make the symbol on the computer..

I found omega (§Ù) in the character map system tool (in times new roman font) but I can't find pi(e) ... you'd think with all the symbols they'd have pi(e) ...

everyone (almost) knows what the pi(e) is..

ICEBreaker
10th Jul 2002, 08:52
Yeah it is spelt as pi. It is Greek which usually only shows up in Symbol font.

mrdefender
10th Jul 2002, 20:19
thanks.

Goku Noble Warrior
12th Jul 2002, 00:52
I am deeply saddened this thread has become a discussion ground for Poke'mon, btw the new Poke'mon movie will be out in theaters soon, and the one after that is already being developed.

mrdefender
12th Jul 2002, 06:50
so that makes what? movie 3 with 4 in dev?

ICEBreaker
12th Jul 2002, 09:30
No there are 4 Pokémon movies with the 5th on in development.

mrdefender
12th Jul 2002, 13:46
oh.

Back to the original subject:

A gun is a better weapon than a brick for knocking down people, they'll fall down quicker and leave no stains on the carpets..

Sir Henry Morgan
13th Jul 2002, 23:26
It is easy to put anyone into a deep sleep simply by tapping them firmly anywhere around the neck or head. They will fall soundlessly and not wake until you are gone. (unless it is the bad guy in the last scene of the movie when you will have to kill him at least 3 times before he won't get up again) ;)

mrdefender
14th Jul 2002, 02:04
Citizens lying to the government is considered illegal (in most cases)..

Government lying to the citizens is considered pollitics..

:D :D :D :D

ICEBreaker
14th Jul 2002, 04:43
Citizens lying to the government is considered illegal (in most cases)..
Government lying to the citizens is considered pollitics..
Hey that statement does not belong in this film thread! It belongs in "Life's Little Ironies" coz it is the truth!

mrdefender
14th Jul 2002, 06:16
Alot of movies have it.. Well.. used to..

They're mostly military court movies...

How about replacing politics w/ Conspiracy? Same thing..

and you can't tell me consiracies have nothing to do with movies..

Sci-fi movies!

ICEBreaker
14th Jul 2002, 06:41
You didn't get my "joke". Throughout this thread we have been mocking about how the film industry has developed certain rules over time which contradicts with reality. However what you said earlier is a true reflection of reality, and so it is not really a move rule. On an exaggerated note, it is like saying most film will involve a scene in a car. Well that is not really a rule because it reflects reality where we do spend a certain amount of time in a car.

mrdefender
14th Jul 2002, 06:49
oh. :( True..

mrdefender
15th Jul 2002, 05:51
X-files related:

~ You can always count on Mulder to loose his gun..

~ You can expect Skully to ask "Where are you going Mulder?" atleast once every episode.

Uncatagorized:

~ When the bad guy's gun gets thrown across the room, it manages to be right next to the good guy..

~ Arnold Schertzchamacallit will always have a gun..
(Or I never saw a arnold movie where he had no gun..)

ICEBreaker
15th Jul 2002, 12:02
Schwarzenegger had some films without guns:
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Red Sonja
Junior
Jingle all the Way

mrdefender
15th Jul 2002, 18:40
forgot about junior, and jingle all the way.

but the first 2 (conan) he had a sword right?

So Out of X movies, only 2 of em had no weapons? Unless you count the doll in jingle all the way.. :)

ICEBreaker
15th Jul 2002, 22:02
Well in Jingle All the Way he had a toy gun. I don't know if that counts or not. There was a fight scene at the end, where Arnie was the action hero.

mrdefender
16th Jul 2002, 02:24
worked in home alone 3 :)

MunkeeChum
16th Jul 2002, 10:00
Home Alone 3 was pants. Utter pants.

mrdefender
16th Jul 2002, 19:57
i meant the part where he (the kid) spray painted his toy gun black which fooled the theif in thinking it was a real gun (while all along, the kid had the real gun).

Rook
8th Aug 2002, 18:21
How about: Overweight people never go to the beach, unless there is some kind of visual gag involved with their presence.

mrdefender
8th Aug 2002, 18:25
nop. that wont work either..

go see the new surfing movie.. well.. when it comes out.. :)

theres an obese black dude wearing a very... em.. small bathing suit..

makes the star of the movie blush.

mrdefender
8th Aug 2002, 18:28
Alot, not all, movies will attempt to pass stuff by and make it stick...

The guy gets his right leg blown off and 2 seconds later he's hopping on his right leg with his left leg on his hand..

Or....

The girl gets a black eye on her left eye then she tries to coverup (makeup) her right eye...

etc...

There's one of these at the begining of saving private ryan (i think.. the movie that "forced" veterans to exit the theather due it is remarkable realism... (it was too much to handle))

Rook
11th Aug 2002, 21:29
nop. that wont work either..

go see the new surfing movie.. well.. when it comes out.. :)

theres an obese black dude wearing a very... em.. small bathing suit..

makes the star of the movie blush.

I dunno...I would think putting an overweight person in a small bathing suit (and, thus, having the star of the movie blush) would sort of count as a visual gag. Movies don't really tend to put heavier people on the beach wearing adequate attire and then have people react to them normally...

mrdefender
11th Aug 2002, 22:45
doesnt gag mean wants to make u puke..

seeing a large person in a bathing suit doesnt make me want to puke.

Sir Henry Morgan
11th Aug 2002, 23:35
gag can also mean joke

when you see that fat black guy in the bathing suit I bet you want to laugh :D

mrdefender
12th Aug 2002, 00:09
oh. lol.

here I was thinking about puke when they probobly meant joke.

/me knocks himself on the head.

Rook
15th Aug 2002, 08:50
Oops! Probably should have explained myself just a little bit better. Sorry 'bout that!:o :)

mrdefender
15th Aug 2002, 18:24
its my fault. shouldve thought about joke. heh. i just gaged (my gag) more times than your gag in the last 3 years.. :)

oh wait.. thats a :(

mrdefender
4th Sep 2002, 15:24
Here's another one..

1 Gun is all a group of good guys need to escape.

I saw an episode of EFC (earth: final conflict) and the good guys managed to get 5 ppl out + themselves with 1 gun while they bumped into 10 ppl, each having their own gun, and they got slaughtered..

Either the good guys are very good when it comes to defending themselves and guns or the bad guys are dumb..

MAGGIE
5th Sep 2002, 19:58
I wayched a movie a couple of nights ago called.."Unbreakable", with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson in..

In one scene S.L.Jackson had his right arm in plaster(after breaking it), in a couple scenes later his left arm was in plaster! :rolleyes:

mrdefender
5th Sep 2002, 20:07
that happens alot. its confusing.

Rook
1st Feb 2003, 09:41
Aliens from the most distant reaches of space have either British or American accents.

Aliens from the most distant reaches of space look human with only slight variations in their ears and/or foreheads.

Aliens with technology advanced enough for space travel and equally advanced weapons are no match for a few humans in fighter jets. They even lack all capacity to fly or shoot accurately in their own spaceships.

mrdefender
1st Feb 2003, 19:34
How about this for 'things you learn at the movies'

There's always a vase or 2 around to knock your attacker out with.

I saw this on csi (everything in there is 'real' (the crimes.. how they happend can actually happen). Someone used a vase to kock someone else out, the vase broke into a few pieces with a chunk of em in her hand.. But in the movies, the vase breaks up into million pieces.

Recently, on CSI.. This was odd.. but... There was a worker who was working on the air conditioning ( the building had a ISP in it, with lots of hard drives that needed to be 'cooled' down, or else they over heat and ... well.. go poof..).

The guy's hammer falls out of its holder on the guy's belt and hits the head of someone doing routine checks on the hard drives.. It kills him...

This has to be fact, cause there's only 1 way in and out of the room, a locked door (key card). The air conditioning vent is too small to let anything other than a baby thru.. (well, anything smaller than a baby can also fit thru.. like the hammer). Anyways, the door only recorded 1 entry.. (the dead guy entering..). It wouldve recorded 2 more entrys (the killer entering then leaving). but it didnt.. and the workers never saw anyone else getting in the hd room..

Now thats wierd. What are the chances that your hammer falls on someone's head and kills em.. from only 3 feet above... it would have to fall on the end thing (that u can remove nails with).. and its dropping .. so u dont have much controll over it..

You guys should see this show. its awesome. I learn something new everytime I see the show.

Last week was a freaky one.. a virgin who had the pregnancy symptoms.. (caused by the adrenaline and hormones, if you really really really really REALLY! want to get pregnant, the hormones would react with the adrenaline and would provide all the symptoms of pregnancy (they showed lactating, cramps, mood swings and odd cravings..). :eek:

http://www.cbs.com/csi

Rook
1st Feb 2003, 22:27
There's always a vase or 2 around to knock your attacker out with.

That one fits pretty well with the others. Still haven't had a chance to watch CSI, though.... :o

mrdefender
2nd Feb 2003, 02:59
its a very good crime show. its an interesting twist of science.

Grissom is my favorite character. he's the smartest guy in the world.

Rook
2nd Feb 2003, 06:33
I'd catch it if I was ever home, but I'm usually at work during prime tv viewing hours, and my VCR doesn't work worth a penny for taping things....:o

Another Movie Quirk: Certain events move at at regular speed, others in completely natural slow motion, thus allowing otherwise improbable and impossible events to come together at the perfect moment.

mrdefender
3rd Feb 2003, 03:09
:confused: :confused: :confused: you mean like in the matrix? :/

Movie quirk: 'dont come and see me in the theather, I'll be released on DVD in 2 weeks' ... :D

Its now what? 4 months after movie hits the theathers that it gets released on DVD? :/

The way its going, the movies will be out on dvd before they're out in the theathers :)

Rook
3rd Feb 2003, 04:34
:confused: :confused: :confused: you mean like in the matrix? :/

Not quite, but I guess it applies there, too...sort of. I couldn't come up with a better (more clear) way to phrase it, really. Have you ever watched movies or tv shows where the action (like in a police chase, for example) is shown partially in slow motion (from one character's point of view) and partially at normal speed (from another character's point of view). I don't guess that explained it much better, but I see that "technique" used quite often, and it just ends up making things look funny. :D

mrdefender
3rd Feb 2003, 04:49
Yes I have.. It's called a replay.. Seen most often in sports broadcasts...

:)

Rook
3rd Feb 2003, 05:44
Sort of, I suppose.

It's more like an effect they use to even out the odds in a situation. Like the bad guy in a scene is lying three feet away from a gun, and the good guy is thirty feet away running towards the bad guy. They show the bad guy reaching for the gun in slow-motion, and the good guy running at normal speed. So, of course, the good guy gets there first. :rolleyes:

Wacky stuff. :D

mrdefender
3rd Feb 2003, 06:09
Its not slow motion at all..

The bad guy is lying on the floor right? So its a good bet he got his butt kicked by the good guy.. so he's crawling for the gun trying to avoid more pain..

The good guy sees this and runs to the gun in an attempt to stop the bad guy arming himself..

So.. who gets to the gun faster? the guy crawling on the floor or the one who's running?

Its simple logics my friend :) :D :D :D :D

Rook
5th Feb 2003, 09:43
I'm talking actual slow motion, where you can tell fairly obviously that the guy isn't moving slow just coz he's injured. I see it quite often, and it looks ridiculous. http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/andomi/rolflmao.gif

mrdefender
5th Feb 2003, 18:45
Hmm.. I think I know what you mean...

I haven't seen it for when a bad guy drops it and blah blah...

But I've seen it when a bad guy takes out a gun and is gonna shoot someone. Like the president or a senator. (you'd be suprised how many movies the president or another political person gets shot...).

You guys should become canadians, We never get shot :) We're good people who dont have guns :D .... or an army, for that matter... :rolleyes:

Oh! Something that just popped into my head. You know of 'dying of natural causes...' ?? Well.. Technically... em... Well.. Look...

You get a bullet in the head, naturally, your gonna die.. right? :/

You fall off a plane, hit the ground at like 500KPH (or MPH).. ur naturally gonna die. :)

Rook
7th Feb 2003, 08:31
You guys should become canadians, We never get shot :) We're good people who dont have guns :D .... or an army, for that matter... :rolleyes:

Very true. I never hear anything bad about Canada. Come to think of it, I don't hear much of anything at all about Canada. Must be very quiet there...:)
http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/andomi/canflag.gif

mrdefender
7th Feb 2003, 19:54
Its not as quiet as we'd hope. Remember the avalanche thing? :(

After the.. em.. Columbinh? incident (shool shooting) we had 2 here aswell.. (not in ottawa, but somewhere in canada).

We have somewhat a slower news day but the wierd happens some times :)

They found a house with enough weapons to form an army a few months ago in toronto. :eek: this was a few months (6-12..) after the september 11th incident.

Rook
8th Feb 2003, 11:21
Still sounds like a good deal less crime than we've got down here.

Heck, I found out recently that Dayton, Ohio was ranked #1 (a couple of years ago) of the top 10 cities in the nation where people die from violent crime.:eek:

I would have thought the #1 spot would have gone to Los Angeles or New York. Nope, it was Dayton--and this city isn't anywhere near the size of LA or New York. I think we've actually moved a couple of spots down the list, but we're still on there, which is just plain pathetic. :o

mrdefender
8th Feb 2003, 19:08
definitley not one of the awards you should look forward too :)

Rook
9th Feb 2003, 00:57
Most definitely true.:o :)

Ooh, how about: If you wash ashore on some mysterious beach, there's a good chance you'll be found by a stray horse.:D

mrdefender
9th Feb 2003, 08:01
Wow. Havent seen that one in a while :)

Then again... When was the last movie which had a man washing up on shore?? Or a movie with horses :/ (excluding the very recent one with Jackie Chan and the other guy... forgot his name..) Shanghigh Knights I believe is the title...

Rook
10th Feb 2003, 01:23
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.:D

Then again, I also saw it in Prince Valiant, as well as a couple of other films whose names aren't coming to me at the moment, even though I can picture the whole scenario. :o

mrdefender
10th Feb 2003, 02:54
Havent seen the 2 towers. I saw the first LOTR and it didnt seem good (to me..). My dad liked it. He didnt see the 2 towers either.

:(

Rook
10th Feb 2003, 03:57
Heck, I liked the first one better than the Two Towers. But it seems most people prefer the second. I think I'd just have to give it another viewing (like most movies). Honestly, I didn't really think much of Fellowship of the Ring the first time I saw it, then I watched it again, and now I love it. Yeah, I'm weird...:o

I will say that Gollum--in Two Towers--is the best CGI character I've ever seen in a live-action movie. George Lucas could learn a thing or two. :o ;) :D

mrdefender
10th Feb 2003, 05:30
yah. it/he won an nomination (i think...) for it... Though I'm not sure if its the actor (voice) or the cgi character... (i.e some kind of 'best looking animated character award'.. :( )

Rook
10th Feb 2003, 06:00
And you're sad about it? :confused:

I thought they got a nomination for both. Maybe not. I mean, there has to be a nomination in there for special effects. Gollum was absolutely fantastically done. Incredibly ugly, but verrry well done. I wouldn't be surprised if they get an Oscar for that.

mrdefender
10th Feb 2003, 21:23
no, im not sad they got nominated, im sad cause I dont know which had the nomination (the cgi character or the voice actor)

Rook
11th Feb 2003, 08:20
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was both. Having said that, I'm probably wrong. :o

Just doing voice work for an animated character does seem like kind of a weird thing to get an Oscar nomination for. I believe there were actually scenes that involved the actor himself playing the part, though. They were all cut from the finished film, so all we get to see is the animated Gollum. :(

mrdefender
11th Feb 2003, 18:17
Why would it seem wierd to get an award for performing a voice for an animated character?

How do u think voice actors for cartoons get nominated hmm :rolleyes:

Like shrek, tarzan (phil collins won his first award for the soundtrack of that movie... em.. the latest one (if there's an old tarzan movie out there..). Which others... I'm guessing one of the pokemon movies probably got an award for something like best kids movie (god knows how many kids know what a pikachu is... :))

Rook
12th Feb 2003, 10:17
Yeah, but Phil Collins did the soundtrack for the movie. That's kinda sorta different. I honestly can't remember the last time anyone was nominated for just doing voice work in a film. I'm sure it's happened, I just don't recall. :o

mrdefender
12th Feb 2003, 19:03
Yah. I know that its a soundtrack and different ,but its phil collins' first award :)

Also, didnt shrek won (or nominated and lost) for Shrek? (didnt the movie won, or nominated and lost, for the character 'Shrek'

Rook
13th Feb 2003, 08:34
I know it was nominated for something, I just can't remember what...:o

And I've never seen it...:o :o

mrdefender
13th Feb 2003, 15:51
its a somewhat funny movie. I watched twice.. I dont feel I need to watch it a 3rd time (i.e twice is enough).

I watched Spiderman like 30 times now and I still cant get enough of it (though im not actually watching it every day, I just watched it 30 times from the time it came out on dvd to today..)

I saw Minority Report twice, I want to see it again (but I also got 2 new games, unreal 2 last wensday (not yesterday) and C&C Generals yesterday. Kinda stuck on em too :D

Minority Report is/was AN EXCELLENT MOVIE !!!!!!!!

Its awesome!!!!!

If you dont know what its about, the cops in the future (30 years from now? im not sure.. but its not like in the next century or anything) have pre-cogs (precognative, 'predict' stuff) that predict the future (specifically, murders). And Tom Cruise's job is to interpret the data and stop the crime, before it happens.

He's setup and tries to find out who and why..

The world is kinda high tech. There are these eye scanners that identify you.. So u walk into the gap, it knows who you are and says hi to you by name and stuff like that.. Basicly, the corporations found another way to increase profit with advertising (advertising to you by name tends to make you feel important.. cause they're talking to you... not everyone)

Rook
14th Feb 2003, 06:38
Sounds interesting. But I am most decidedly not a Tom Cruise fan.:o Who knows, I might just have to watch it anyway.:D

I've watched Spider-Man quite a few times, too. Maybe not 30, though.;) I never get tired of it. It's just that well done! :cool:

mrdefender
15th Feb 2003, 06:11
Did you see any of the Dare Devil trailers? (im not sure If I mentioned this already.. so bare with me on this..)

There's a trailer where young afleck (?) who stops an old dude from crossing the road (which wouldve walked into an incoming bus..). The old guy looks like Stan Lee (creator of the comic books.)

He appeared in Spider-Man too. At the part where its the world union festival (or whatever its called). Right after the cop calls for backup on his radio (those radios cops carry on their shoulders.. like bus drivers have (what the radio looks like.. havent seen any bus drivers with portable radios)).

In both, he only appeared for like 3 seconds (im not sure if he appears longer than that in the movie (havent seen dare devil yet)). You'd think they'd give the creator of the comic book a bigger part in the movie version of it... :confused: :confused:

Though I guess any part in a famous movie is good :) I wouldnt mind being one of the 300 people running from a burning truck, as long as I can pause the movie and show ppl :)

Rook
15th Feb 2003, 08:17
Daredevil would probably intrigue me a good deal more if Ben Affleck wasn't in it. Another case of me not caring much for the actor in the main role. Still, it looks like it could be all right, and it's gotten fair reviews. Who knows, I might just have to give it a try...:)

mrdefender
15th Feb 2003, 08:25
I dont mind what actors play what roles.. All I do is get abit freaked at some of the combinations... Like Robin Williams as a bad guy... . ...

that has a bit hard to picture. I havent seen him in other movies where he played a bad guy (cant remember the names either). I just saw Insomnia and was confused during the hole movie.. Like try to picture a comedian as a ruthless serial killer... :-/

Rook
15th Feb 2003, 09:35
I think that's one of the reasons I never saw Insomnia. I just can't see him in that kind of movie. I don't really care for him in comedies, either. I'd say he's at his best in dramatic parts.

mrdefender
15th Feb 2003, 22:44
i liked him in mrs doubtfire and a few other movies.. but I think his career is dead and hes trying to hard to get back into the game... :(

Rook
15th Feb 2003, 23:50
Mrs Doubtfire was OK. I thought he was fantastic in Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting, though. And he did a decent job in Hook, even if he's not the first actor I would have chosen to play that part. He's one of those actors who can only play certain roles really well, and it seems those opportunities seldom come his way. :o

mrdefender
18th Feb 2003, 06:08
True, so true.

Again, I forgot about Hook!!! another topic on here had something about williams. forgot about that movie back there too... :(

I think his carreer is over.. You dont seem him alot in news or movies now a days..

Rook
18th Feb 2003, 07:01
I dunno. I thought Keanu Reeves' movie career was over, then they put him in The Matrix! I guess just about anybody can make a phenomenal comeback.:)

And I've just thought of another one of those movie oddities: Why, in every film I've ever seen, do storms have thunder and lightning that occur at the same time? :o

mrdefender
18th Feb 2003, 18:07
it happens. but its more likely to have it at seperate times.

I'm guessing its easier to do it at the same time than seperatly (its cgi.. obviously.. how often can you time the fimling of a scene to coinside with random nature...)

It's one of those random chances..

Like last week in CSI, (not sure if I mentioned this) there was this worker who worked on working with work at work (hehe.. kidding.. :) )

This worker worked on the airconditioning system and his hammer fell out of his belt and hit the head of a guy standing over the air vent. Killing him.. Highly improbable but it can happen... One of those '1 in a million' chances.

Like winning the lottery, the chances are so small but it happens.

Rook
21st Feb 2003, 09:56
Well, I've seen real storms where the thunder and lightning happen at the same time, but 95% of the time, that isn't the case--unless you're in a movie.:rolleyes: ;)

And my friend's brother won the lottery. If nothing else, I can at least say it happened to someone I know. :D

mrdefender
21st Feb 2003, 17:37
did he win the 'big' lottery or one of those 2nd prizes ? (like if the big ammount needs all 6 numbers, and he only got like 5 of 6, he wins 500K or something.)

Rook
22nd Feb 2003, 08:24
Well, he did hit the big one. The catch is that he pitched in on the lottery ticket with 20 other people from his work, so they just ended up splitting in up into smaller amounts anyway. $500K would have been rather impressive, considering that (after taxes) he only ended up with a little over $150K. Still, that is quite a bit more than he payed for the ticket.:) Heck, I certainly wouldn't mind winning $150K!!:D

At least I now know for a fact that real people actually win those things. I wouldn't mind really winning one myself.;) :D

mrdefender
23rd Feb 2003, 00:47
I wouldnt mind winning the lottery myself. We're kinda in a tight financial spot over here :( We still need 2K to fix our car (motor/engine). My dad has alot of meds not paid for (his doctor gave him lots of 'samples' (;);)).

We live in the most crapiest (and i use that term loosly...) apartment anyone's ever lived in.... We could really use some money to move back into .. em? out of town?

We used to live in orleans, somewhat quieter that here (lets' call here "down town".. where you hear big trucks and buses and stuff). Orleans is alot more peaceful than where we are here..

for lack of a better word, Orleans is in the 'boonies'. But its not in the standard 'boonies' . Its very populated and business is booming like there's no tomorow. My sister goes to school there, so it would be more convinient for her. We lived there for 18 years (Im 19). and we know the neighbourhood well...

But.. heck.. im sure anyone would do most of this stuff if they win the lottery (how many here would pay off bills if they win the lottery.. raise your hand).

1.. 2 .. 10.. 50... 400... 453... :D

What the kicker is. If I were to win a USA lottery, I wouldnt pay taxes :) (cause im in canada, so im outside of the USA IRS juristiction..).

NO TAXES! That's like everyone's dream :D

PS: you gotta check out my thread about microsoft's new o/s ITS AWESOME! :) (actually, its more of a humour related to MS)

Rook
23rd Feb 2003, 22:36

What the kicker is. If I were to win a USA lottery, I wouldnt pay taxes :) (cause im in canada, so im outside of the USA IRS juristiction..).

:pLUCKY!!:p

Actually, having to pay taxes on it wouldn't be so bad. I'd still come out ahead in the end. I mean, I'd still have a lot more money than I had before I bought the ticket, so I really couldn't complain. And if I stuck it in the right bank, I could just live off the interest, rather than using up the actual lottery winnings. Still works out just dandy for me.:D

mrdefender
23rd Feb 2003, 23:33
Depends if the IRS decides to 'invent' more taxes between the time you win and the time you claim it :)

Oh. There's a. em.. Being Alive for 2 seconds tax.. 30K .. :)

Rook
24th Feb 2003, 01:55
Is that every 2 seconds?! :eek:

Yeah, that does sound like something they'd come up with. :rolleyes: :D

mrdefender
24th Feb 2003, 05:21
You should win the lottery and say your from Canada :)

Rook
24th Feb 2003, 05:41
I might try that, but I don't think I could do a convincing accent. ;) :D

mrdefender
24th Feb 2003, 06:02
whats to convince, just act like you know where canada is (here's a hint... find a map and look up from the USA. It should say something like 'CANADA' in big letters)

I still can't believe americans dont know where we are.. How hard can it be to not see the big 'CANADA' letters right above their own country??? ...

Is the american population like 99.9% Illiterate or something? :-/

Though... Homer simpson can't even point to what state he's in (but thats the gag the simpsons have.. they never said what state their in..)

Rook
24th Feb 2003, 07:36
Hey! I know where Canada is. It's up there! http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/generals/pil-o_an.gif :D

Is the american population like 99.9% Illiterate or something? :-/
Yep. I could hardly read your post.;)

We can't spell worth squat either.:D

Though... Homer simpson can't even point to what state he's in (but thats the gag the simpsons have.. they never said what state their in..)
LOL I know. There are only 46 states with towns called Springfield in them. Just pick one. It'll likely be one of the four that doesn't have a Springfield.

I live about half an hour away from Springfield, myself. :D

mrdefender
24th Feb 2003, 23:18
Try looking for towns called springfield and that have a nuke plant.. :)

mrdefender
25th Feb 2003, 03:41
How about this for 'things u learn at the movies'

You can always count on dozens of war/army movies during a 'crisis' or event with the USA and someone else.

Like now with Iraq.. I just saw another war movie ('basics' with travolta and there's another one with bruce willis.)

U'd wonder if the USA plans all these 'wars' :)

Rook
26th Feb 2003, 08:36
Actually, it seems like war movies come out constantly no matter what. They're just a little more noticeable at the moment coz of all the Middle East stuff. I do get tired of them, though. Even those "true story" ones don't really interest me.:o

Then again, I don't mind a good fantasy film battle (like those in Lord of the Rings)--precisely because it is fantasy. I can tolerate them well enough. It's just all the realistic stuff that gets old after awhile.

Yeah, I'm weird... :p

mrdefender
26th Feb 2003, 18:15
really? . Hmm. Guess you're right, havent noticed war movies when nothing is happening in the world (war related).....

Well.. Then again... There's been an on-going "war" with the USA and Iraq and Bin Laden practically since sept 11th. (the event/tragedy and not the date).

Em.. Im not sure but I meant event in the "something happend" way.. Not sure if the word event applies to bad things. I think it does but not 100% sure.

Rook
2nd Mar 2003, 00:00
Unusual, coz I seem to notice quite a few coming out regardless of what's happening in the world. That's not to say that films that come out at a time like this aren't calculated to fit the situation. I'm sure some of them are.

mrdefender
2nd Mar 2003, 02:52
Yah. Alot of em are based on stuff that happend recently.. Dunno why.. Considering how long it takes to make the movie..

Remember back in the old days that it took longer for the movies to come out on video than it took to make the movie?

Now, the movie comes out on DVD in like half the time it took to make it....

Soon, it wont even be worth going to see it in the theather... cause it would be released in a month or 2. :)

Rook
4th Mar 2003, 10:34
LOL Too true. I do remember, though, that it took like 15 years for E.T. to come out on video. Other than that, yeah, it seems like they're out on video only a few days after they hit theaters. Doesn't really bother me much. I'm reeeally looking forward to buying a couple of DVDs for films that are in the theater right now. They should be out on video any day now.;) :D

mrdefender
4th Mar 2003, 20:56
Aparently (or so my dad says...), they're almost done with the dare devil DVD.. all thats missing is like some of those interview features and commentaries.

If this is true... (which I doubt..), they must've worked on the DVD at the same time they were working on the movie (most likely somewhere at the end).

I dont think movies being released on DVDs so fast is a bad thing... it costs less to rent (heck, it costs less to buy) than to go see it at the movies...

Considering its like 15$ for 1 person to go see a movie at a famous players theather (the closest theathers around here are famous players..).. So when you take into account that a DVD costs? 20$? .... And that most people don't go to the movies alone....

Rook
5th Mar 2003, 11:16
Well, it's only about $8.50 at the theaters here. Unless, of course, you go to a movie before 6 pm. Then it's only about $5.25. And some films are worth seeing in a big theater at least once, even if watching them there costs as much or more than the DVD will when it comes out.

Glad I saw the Two Towers at the theater. I wish I could have seen Fellowship of the Ring there, too--but I really wasn't even interested in the film (or the series) at the time it first came out. (Now I'm hooked, though.:o) I wish I could have seen Spidey at the theater, too... :o :D

mrdefender
5th Mar 2003, 19:50
Yah. We used to go and see movies in the afternoon. Only 2 movies we saw at night, was spider-man and episode 2... a friend of ours (my sister's boyfriend and his dad) wanted to see the movie as well, so we made plans and saw it together...

We went to see it at cineplex odeon... it was closer (and like 60% off compared to famous players) to where we lived back then (like 3 mins away from..)

Now, we're like an hour from there (traffic)... id say 30 mins no traffic...

Check out my did u know post.. :) you gotta see that post. wierd facts in there :)

Rook
6th Mar 2003, 06:12
I still have yet to see Episode 2. The whole "Yoda scene" description scared me off.;) :p I might just have to see the third one when it comes out, just coz it's the end of the series and everything.

I reeeally want to see Return of the King, though. Can't hardly wait for that one! :D

mrdefender
7th Mar 2003, 03:02
WHAT?!?!?! YOU HAVEN'T SEEN EPISODE 2?!?!?!?!

You think you know people.... :D

Nah. Yoda Scene is awesome! Makes me wish he was digital in all the other starwars. The Movie proves how much more you can do with a CGI character than a puppet (though, its kinda obvious how limited puppets are..).

Not to mention that Yoda kicks ass!! .... it brings the 'pick on someone your own size' totally out of contexte :) (contex? contexte?).

YOU GOTTA SEE THAT MOVIE!!!! :)

As for Return of the King, never heard of it... whats it about?

Rook
7th Mar 2003, 10:28
:oYeah, I know. It's sad but true. I haven't seen Ep 2, yet.:o

:p

Well, it seems that the opinions on the Yoda fight scene are split 50/50 among people I know who've seen it. Half of them were thrilled by it, the other half just got a laugh out of it. Me, personally? I've been scared off of the prequels ever since Ep 1--but I think I've mentioned that before. I might still see Ep 2, sometime. And, as I say, I might just have to see Ep 3, as it will be the last in the series.

And Return of the King is the last of the Lord of the Rings films. I hope it's at least as good as the first two (which were fantastic). Just kinda sucks having to wait until December to find out... :o :D

mrdefender
7th Mar 2003, 22:12
So only 3 movies in the LOTR series? .... that has to stink for the fans of the hobbit and lotr...

Yah. Episode 3 is a must see... We all know what's gonna happen but its still a must see... :)

We all know that Anakin Skywalker will turn evil and turn to the 'dark side', we know he's married to Padmé (at the end of episode 2...). and will have 2 kids (Luke and Princess Lila?).. We know that Chancellor Palpetine (I think thats' his new rank in episode 2). becomes 'emperor' palpetine and Vader/Anakin's mentor/'master'...

Episode 2 is an awesome movie, I find it kinda sets the story of why/how Anakin started down the path to the dark side... I'm guessing we'll see exactly why and how he turns into vader...

I gotta see episode 3 !! I think its in 2 years.. :( so see! LOTR is the least of your worries :p

Rook
8th Mar 2003, 08:57
Yep, only three Lord of the Rings movies.***sigh***

But, considering how very successful they've been, I'd say it's highly likely that they'll attempt some kind of adaptation of the Hobbit, which would fit perfectly as a prequel to the LotR series. Who knows? Some of Tolkien's other less-well-known work might very well be put to film also. I can't imagine Hollywood letting a successful franchise end without wringing every dollar out of it (:rolleyes:), so I've got hope for future films. :D

mrdefender
9th Mar 2003, 06:14
Hmmm... one of my posts seems to have disapeared... hmm... ohwell.

Well, There's alot of talk about if the last ST movie would/will be the last one... (ST:Nemesis). ... So.. If it is, its another movie that hollywood would miss out on the profits. ... :(

(though I like TNG, I wouldnt mind if it was only the last 'tng' movie.. and not the last 'star trek' movie...)

Better to have half of something than all of nothing :)

Rook
9th Mar 2003, 10:25
I can't imagine it being the last Trek movie altogether. I thought it was just the last Trek movie for the Next Generation cast--and even that doesn't seem to be definite now.

mrdefender
10th Mar 2003, 01:30
True... but if they do make another TNG movie... they're gonna have to fill some pretty big gaps...

Stewart (Picard) left star trek, Data is dead, Riker and Troy are married and have their own ship (Riker is a captain now..). Worf was named.. ambasador? to the Klingon Empire... (but still manages to make it in the neighborhood of the enterprise... :/).

I think Geordi and Crusher (Beverly, Dr.) are the only ones who's left... Well... and B4/B-4 .. (the 'data' twin in nemesis)

Rook
12th Mar 2003, 09:43
Well, they could come up with some wacky movie plot where all the surviving (or willing) members of the cast have to come back together for a reason. And, it would be interesting to see what would happen with B4 (or B-4) in another film. And Patrick Stewart might be persuaded to, at least, make an appearance in another film. Or maybe not. Who knows...

mrdefender
12th Mar 2003, 19:26
I Hope he will make a return appearence.. Would be nice to see Picard again :)

Em.. I mean that it would be nice if Patrick Stewart can play Picard again... Would be nice to see him as Picard, after he 'left' the Star Trek world...

Rook
13th Mar 2003, 07:29
Pay the man big time! Wave a good-size chunk of money at him if he'll agree to appear in another Trek film. Money has a way of making people change their minds. LOL :D

mrdefender
13th Mar 2003, 20:51
Dunno... If it were true, you'd think Sahdam would've tried it by now ;)

Rook
15th Mar 2003, 23:22
OK then, let me rephrase that: Money has a way of making celebrities change their minds.;)

mrdefender
16th Mar 2003, 05:24
Hehe. Celebs can never have too much money... :)

Ooh! How bout this for 'things you learn at the movies'

The bomb always stops when there's 1 second left :) (em.. that is, if they're trying to stop it... if its another one of those movies where someone plants a bomb as a terrorist act... then.. it would most likely go boom...)

Oooh! Things you learn at the movies: "The floors are sticky" :D :D :D :D :)

Rook
16th Mar 2003, 05:43
Things you learn at the movies:

1) Someone nine feet tall will always sit directly in front of you. If they come with a group of people, the individuals on either side of the person in front of you are at least seven to eight feet tall, too.

2) Buying popcorn and a small drink will require you to sell spare organs. You don't really need both kidneys...

3) Someone who would rather talk or make out with their girlfriend (or boyfriend) will always sit directly behind you. (Gotta love that nasty lip smacking noise.http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/survali/yucky.gif) If they aren't doing either of those things, they're usually rifling through the candy they bought from the concession stand (or brought in under their coat) that came in the noisiest bag.

4) Buying the movie ticket might also require sale of spare organs (coz you've got two lungs, too, y'know)--particularly if you intend to see a film after 6 PM.

5) The most intense moment in a film is the perfect time for somebody's baby to start crying...really loud.

mrdefender
17th Mar 2003, 03:13
I can never understand why they don't let us bring our own snacks... (well, I know why and all.. but still). You'd think they'd understand how expensive their snacks are.. its cheaper to bring our own snacks. You can get like a large bag of chips with a large bottle (dunno if you guys have these... 710ML Pepsi bottles) of Pepsi.. for like 4 bucks...

And 4 bucks at the movies is a regular soft drink.... tax not included.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

#5.1) or someone making a cry for attention :) (refering to the 'class clowns' who always do something stupid at the most critical spots...

You saw spider-man right? Well.. incase you didn't...

Remember the scene where Peter and Mary-Jane are in the hospital, in May's room? Where Parker kinda speaks as Spider-Man to Mary-Jane, then harry walks in... Well.. One of these clowns couldn't stop talking in this important scene (its where we find out that harry gets nasty.. tells his father and the green goblin kidnaps MJ and the movie goes into 'hero' hour...)

Rook
18th Mar 2003, 10:38
Well, that's why they don't let you bring your own snacks in: So they can charge ridiculous amounts of money at the concession stand, and you have to pay it or go hungry. I usually end up sneaking a little something in anyway. :o ;) :D

mrdefender
19th Mar 2003, 05:34
me 2..... :)

a bigger wallet :D

I dont have that many big pockets.

But I usually just take a drink, so its not that bad... (ends up being tickets + 4 bucks for regular size drink (thank god free refils are only 50 cents more...)

Rook
19th Mar 2003, 07:25
I rely solely on the water fountain.;)

The drinks are already expensive and, considering most pop dispensers' success rates with getting the flavoring/carbonation ratio right (which they almost never do), I think I'd rather just save my money.:D

mrdefender
19th Mar 2003, 20:05
money isnt much of a problem for me. I get 708.00$ at the end of each month (if the last day of the month is on a weekend, I get it the previous friday...)

I was accepted for a disability pention due to my chemotherapy and the 15 pills I had to take for 3 years... :)

But I gotta give 100$/month to my uncle for my comp ... parents divorced.. suffice it to say our credit went down the hole... along with our credit cards, so my uncle offered the use of his credit card so I could buy a Dell (from their site...). It's actually 95$ but If I give him 100, I sorta finish paying it sooner... (well.. considering it would take what? 19 months for another '95$' ?? :)

I also give my father 125$ a month for our Digital Cable, Normal Cable and Internet Cable.. (Odd, considering my dad or my sister watches more TV than I do, Surfs the net more than I do... I probably watch less TV in 6 months than they do in 1....).

But money is tight right now, and Its not like all my money is spent... I usually buy groceries too.. But what the heck. It would just sit in my bank account until I reach 5K (at which point, I would stop recieving some until I dont have 5K.. 5K is the limit..)

Saving some $$ to get myself a SB Audigy 2 SoundCard and a new set of 5.1 Speakers. ... I tried just a sound card but I had lots of interference with these speakers.. So I decided to save my money, buy new card and spearkers at same time, so if it doesnt work, I can return both of em (where as if I buy card one month, speakers the next... I won't be able to return the card... which would be like 200$ down the drain... and a brand new soundcard sitting at the back of my room....)

Gotta love all this responsible money is stuff :)
(oh.. suffice it to say, this is all canadian dollars...)

PS: Dang :( There's what? 5 hours left for Hussein ? Even though he refused... I'm still hoping he'll break..... Oh.. And I don't agree with our PM (Prime Minister, aka Canada's 'President').. I want Canada to help you guys (though... we wouldnt be much help with our high tech army ;) ).

I wasn't very happy with u guys going to war and all... (at first!).. But it hit me, Either We (well.. for the time... you...) go to war and stop hussein or We (you) back down and give him (Hussein) the time to strike first, killing lots of people (thats what I'd do.. I'd probably try to do as much damage as I can before its 'too late').

So, fear not! In my dreams, we're beside each other! (em.. as in, we're fighting along side one and other... (?) one an other?) :D