PDA

View Full Version : The ending that most people actually picked?

MeteoricDragon
29th Oct 2015, 04:51
Why do many "let's play" people seem to pick "sacrifice Chloe"?

I have watched a lot of people that do "let's play" of Life is strange to see their reactions to the game, and it seems like most of them choose sacrifice Chloe option. In their commentary, it seems like their decision is heavily influenced by what they think their viewers will want them to select(sacrifice Chloe).

I am wondering this because it makes me feel bad being the minority, like there's something wrong with what I chose, and that everyone else "gets it" that Chloe had to die, where I believe she didn't. I'm trying to justify my thinking.

So what ending do you think most people picked?

I don't completely rely on the choice stats at the end of the game because I know that a lot of people will pick both endings and that skews the results.

iReturnVideotapes
29th Oct 2015, 06:10
Sacrificing Chloe had much more time and effort put into it, therefore people believe that's the ending the developers picked as the one that had to be canon. It's much more beautiful, tragic, heartbreaking than saving Chloe. It just fit the tone of the game after that heartbreaking speech Chloe delivered on the cliff.

Tataboj
29th Oct 2015, 07:15
I think it is 50/50. Just like saving Kate should be, if people didn't replay it to save her.
Also, Michel Koch said that even though one ending is shorter, it shows the premise "Save Chloe, forget the rest".

Xeva-q
29th Oct 2015, 07:30
I am wondering this because it makes me feel bad being the minority, like there's something wrong with what I chose, and that everyone else "gets it" that Chloe had to die, where I believe she didn't. I'm trying to justify my thinking.

Since Maxine was the one who cause the storm it is safe to say that "sacrifice" Arcadia Bay it is no sacrifice exactly. It is mass murder in order to get what Maxine wants. It is no different from some kind of dark satanic ritual when you kill a lot of people to resurrect someone.

So you do not want to feel bad about that choice? you know what?

eat it.

King-Cayenne
30th Oct 2015, 03:03
Actually, most of the ones I've watched, picked to save chloe. From most of the forms I've been on and comments ive read from reaction videos and such, id say it's about a 50/50 split for who chose what for their canon ending.

codemasher
30th Oct 2015, 10:55
Funny that the stats are so close - it shows even more that there is no right or wrong desicion.
I didn't (and still don't) care about all those let's plays and whatnot. I even know people who watched these *before* playing the actual game (which i found sad). I think, people being biased because they know the story in advance plus the influence of other people's opinions is probaly not just a nightmare for the creators of the story, but will also make these biased people justify "their" desicion "because the others were right" and that ultimately leads to disappointment (most likely).
I didn't watch or read any spoiles, heck, i had even to beat me to watch the official teaser trailers. I made each and every desicion by heart (like hopefully a lot others too) and some of these still stick with me. But one of the easiest desicions for me was actually to save Chloe. You ask me why? Ask your heart!

People argueing that i'm a mass murderer for saving Chloe... just stop it. I can't even. You did get that Max didn't choose to get and use her power at all? Sure, she is fully aware of it in the end that she might have caused the storm - but can you really blame her? For an act of nature? Also: who else except Chloe and Warren would know anyway. And which court would sentence her for "causing a natural desaster by using time travelling powers of unknown source"? (more of my opinion in the other thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=181425&p=2179905#post2179905).)
You know what: if you keep calling me a mass murderer, i'll call you a monster for doing to Max and Chloe what you did.

--TIE--
30th Oct 2015, 11:50
At the end with this binary choice only I think in every way it would end up in a 50/50 thing. It lies in the natur of this binary thing. And thats a hint for me, that only your last choice realy matters special when you do it randomly (like the 50/50 thing proves) bcs. you had to choose between two different bad choices. Not a good and a bad. So ppl will dive equaly to the things we can provoke.

Sacrifice Chloe / Sacrifice Arcadia

I bet if the Question was called:

Sacrifice Chloe / Save Chloe -> and if the player than notice with save Chloe you destroy arcadia the counter stands at 70/30 simple psychology.

Tataboj
30th Oct 2015, 12:21
And which court would sentence her for "causing a natural desaster by using time travelling powers of unknown source"?
Of course the court cannot judge you, but this isn't about the law. The thing is, in one Czech famous film, there is the statement "You are the only one who can help. And if you're the only one who can, then you must." That's why I feel it's right to sacrifice Chloe for the sake of Arcadia Bay.

codemasher
30th Oct 2015, 13:12
I just picked this comparison to show how silly the thought of blaming someone for causing a natural desaster (with even supernatural background) is to me.

"You are the only one who can help. And if you're the only one who can, then you must."

This qoute is beautiful and true, but you were given 2 choices where it may apply. One is to sacrifice Chloe for "the greater good" and you help Arcadia Bay, the other is way more personal (and reflects the game's message of true friendship) - you help Chloe to get back on the tracks of her messed up life (by saving your own [Max's] maybe... think about it).

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 13:39
I just picked this comparison to show how silly the thought of blaming someone for causing a natural desaster (with even supernatural background) is to me.

This qoute is beautiful and true, but you were given 2 choices where it may apply. One is to sacrifice Chloe for "the greater good" and you help Arcadia Bay, the other is way more personal (and reflects the game's message of true friendship) - you help Chloe to get back on the tracks of her messed up life (by saving your own [Max's] maybe... think about it).

I have some reservations about the title of the choice where Chloe dies. She does make a strong case as a request for Maxine going back and letting her die there on the bathroom floor, guess it is was her moment of selflessness or as she puts it, other people are more deserving of life than she is.

And I love that quote, only if people would be more aware of that we wouldn't be having such problems with the bystander effect.

Lehkeri
30th Oct 2015, 13:47
She does make a strong case as a request for Maxine going back and letting her die there on the bathroom floor, guess it is was her moment of selflessness or as she puts it, other people are more deserving of life than she is.

In my opinion, Chloe on the cliff does not want to die. She's only giving Max a "free pass" to choose that, if she so wills it. To make matters even more complex, the Chloe on the cliff is not the same Chloe that gets killed if one so chooses. It would be different if you actually killed Chloe then and there, on the cliff. The Chloe who does get killed, doesn't have a say. She doesn't have the memories, the experiences the other Chloe has. She dies there alone, never knowing what happened to Rachel and never re-connecting with Max. She feels abandoned by everyone.

But that's just how I see it. I mean no offense with this, KristaD, please don't take it as such.

One more thing. Many of my friends, who chose to sacrifice Chloe, said one of the major reasons was that they made the choice as a player, not as Max. I think that is an interesting point :)

But hey, in the end, no matter what you choose, it's the correct answer.

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 13:59
In my opinion, Chloe on the cliff does not want to die. She's only giving Max a "free pass" to choose that, if she so wills it. To make matters even more complex, the Chloe on the cliff is not the same Chloe that gets killed if one so chooses. It would be different if you actually killed Chloe then and there, on the cliff. The Chloe who does get killed, doesn't have a say. She doesn't have the memories, the experiences the other Chloe has. She dies there alone, never knowing what happened to Rachel and never re-connecting with Max. She feels abandoned by everyone.

But that's just how I see it. I mean no offense with this, KristaD, please don't take it as such.

One more thing. Many of my friends, who chose to sacrifice Chloe, said one of the major reasons was that they made the choice as a player, not as Max. I think that is an interesting point :)

But hey, in the end, no matter what you choose, it's the correct answer.

I am not taking any offence at this, this is a damn good answer and point you made there. I think that is good that Chloe does have some idea what she is doing, even it is not easy from her to ask Maxine to do it, as she tells her to do it before she freaks out, and asks Maxine not to forget her.

I made the choice to sacrifice Chloe for my own personal reasons, though the last dialog Chloe nudged me a bit that way as well as the choice I made regrading alternative Chloe's request for assisted suicide (if you like). I am not even sure I can fully explain those two choices I made with out having to look in to the darkest parts of my past with all the dangers that lurk here.

Xeva-q
30th Oct 2015, 14:20
People argueing that i'm a mass murderer for saving Chloe... just stop it.
How about no?

You did get that Max didn't choose to get and use her power at all?
so?

Sure, she is fully aware of it in the end that she might have caused the storm - but can you really blame her?
yes.

For an act of nature?
Allow hundreds of people to die because of your actions - it is an act of nature, i suppose.

And which court would sentence her for "causing a natural desaster by using time travelling powers of unknown source"?
You you kill someone by some supernatural means and no one is able to proof that it was your doings - congratulation. You have done no wrong.

You know what: if you keep calling me a mass murderer, i'll call you a monster for doing to Max and Chloe what you did.
I allow you to call me whatever you want. Your way of thinking is very funny.:) "I have a reason, that seems to me very good, to kill all this people, therefore, i am good person".

I just picked this comparison to show how silly the thought of blaming someone for causing a natural desaster
Time travel by itself is silly. And yet it is there.

One is to sacrifice Chloe for "the greater good"
It is not some abstract "greater good". Do not try to fool yourself. That is pathetic.

you help Arcadia Bay
It is not about "helping" Arcadia Bay. It is about fixing the consequences of her own actions. If you can't tell the difference... well, i gues i'll just make fun of you.:D

Tataboj
30th Oct 2015, 14:52
Hmm... I'm making the choices as me in Max's shoes but if I knew she really wouldn't choose this, probably I wouldn't choose that either. But, if you think about it, all the choices were made the way that Max could have done both of them. Moral Max would leave money, but Friend Max knows it will hugely help Chloe. Heh, I chose help to the closest person in the office, but in the final choice all these lives just outweighed any life for me.

For those who sacrificed Chloe and feel bad, think about this: The alternate realities that Max created still exist, including the ones where Max didn't use the photo. So the reality where Arcadia Bay is destroyed and Max and Chloe live together still exists, Max only created another one where Arcadia Bay is fine.

King-Cayenne
30th Oct 2015, 23:12
Hmm... I'm making the choices as me in Max's shoes but if I knew she really wouldn't choose this, probably I wouldn't choose that either. But, if you think about it, all the choices were made the way that Max could have done both of them. Moral Max would leave money, but Friend Max knows it will hugely help Chloe. Heh, I chose help to the closest person in the office, but in the final choice all these lives just outweighed any life for me.

If those who sacrificed Chloe and feel bad, think about this: The alternate realities that Max created still exist, including the ones where Max didn't use the photo. So the reality where Arcadia Bay is destroyed and Max and Chloe live together still exists, Max only created another one where Arcadia Bay is fine.

Precisely why both endings are canon. Just depends on which ending YOU want them to live in.

codemasher
30th Oct 2015, 23:36
well, i gues i'll just make fun of you.:D

No, you're just being disrespectful. It's ok, i won't discuss any further with you.

Xeva-q
31st Oct 2015, 06:22
No, you're just being disrespectful. It's ok, i won't discuss any further with you.

What a shame!:(

PalatineKatinka
31st Oct 2015, 21:11
Both endings are set up to be bad choices where you have to accept the consequences of your actions. Neither of them should be considered 'better' as they are both bad and that is the point of them. We each have to decide which we can live with and what we are willing to do to get what we want, be that put the lives of many at risk for the one we care about most or let the one we care about be murdered, even though we can stop it, because it would put others at risk.

I chose to save Chloe and I'd do it again. As time goes on I'm only getting more comfortable with that choice. As people on forums point out that we only see two confirmed deaths (and not of people we know), as tweets from Michel Koch surface saying that the ending was deliberately left ambiguous and that this is a new beginning for Max & Chloe not an end, I become more confident that this is how I want Season 1 to finish. This ending has potential for a future. The other kills off the character that just got them an award.

Lehkeri
31st Oct 2015, 21:31
Both endings are set up to be bad choices where you have to accept the consequences of your actions. Neither of them should be considered 'better' as they are both bad and that is the point of them. We each have to decide which we can live with and what we are willing to do to get what we want, be that put the lives of many at risk for the one we care about most or let the one we care about be murdered, even though we can stop it, because it would put others at risk.

I chose to save Chloe and I'd do it again. As time goes on I'm only getting more comfortable with that choice. As people on forums point out that we only see two confirmed deaths (and not of people we know), as tweets from Michel Koch surface saying that the ending was deliberately left ambiguous and that this is a new beginning for Max & Chloe not an end, I become more confident that this is how I want Season 1 to finish. This ending has potential for a future. The other kills off the character that just got them an award.

Also this (I posted this on steam forums)

"Wasn't it established somewhere that whenever Max photojumps and alters something, she returns to the exact same moment where she left? Hence the Max from San Fancisco ends up in the Dark room the next day. Max gets out of the said room a bit past midday, it was 12 something PM. She drives to Two Whales and stuff, that's easily 30 mins. So it's at least 1pm when they're at the cliff.

The storm appeared at 9.03 am and the decision was made 1pm. That a lot of hours for people to, you know, get the ***** away from that thing.

But perhaps 'twas not meant to be. Do correct me, if my "calculations" are not correct."

PalatineKatinka
31st Oct 2015, 21:48
No, I think you are right about that. Plenty of people could have gotten away but Max doesn't know at the time of her decision how many will be safe so, her decision has to be made with the understanding that anyone other than her and Chloe might die. Seeing survivors would cheapen that sacrifice, so we don't see them. Doesn't mean they didn't survive.

Ross42899
31st Oct 2015, 21:57
Seeing survivors would cheapen that sacrifice, so we don't see them. Doesn't mean they didn't survive.

If 50% of Aracadia Bay's inhabitants are dead and they showed us a few survivors, I wouldn't call that "cheapen the sacrifice". There would be still dozens or hundreds of dead people.

PalatineKatinka
31st Oct 2015, 22:12
If 50% of Aracadia Bay's inhabitants are dead and they showed us a few survivors, I wouldn't call that "cheapen the sacrifice". There would be still dozens or hundreds of dead people.

Unless they showed us more dead, and more significant dead, it would make the ending less 'bad'. Currently people view it as bad because so many are assumed dead. If we saw even just Joyce and Kate alive there would be a lot less people speaking against that choice as the sacrifice would be lessened.

codemasher
31st Oct 2015, 22:21
Also, note the wording for the final desicion: "Sacrifice ...". If it would have been "Save ..." it would have made us feel less guilty about our desicions.

Lehkeri
31st Oct 2015, 22:24
Also, note the wording for the final desicion: "Sacrifice ...". If it would have been "Save ..." it would have made us feel less guilty about our desicions.

Indeed.

Ross42899
31st Oct 2015, 22:38
Unless they showed us more dead, and more significant dead, it would make the ending less 'bad'. Currently people view it as bad because so many are assumed dead. If we saw even just Joyce and Kate alive there would be a lot less people speaking against that choice as the sacrifice would be lessened.

That's why I think, if they had shown us survivors, those who survive should have been based on our previous decisions. So the decisions made throughout the game, would have had at least somekind of an impact at the end. And the ending would have been more unique for each player and in every new playthrough.

PalatineKatinka
31st Oct 2015, 22:47
That's why I think, if they had shown us survivors, those who survive should have been based on our previous decisions. So the decisions made throughout the game, would have had at least somekind of an impact at the end. And the ending would have been more unique for each player and in every new playthrough.

A part of me agrees with you. It would have allowed for greater replayability as we strive for the 'best' ending and it would have fulfilled the selling point of 'Multiple endings based on our choices'. On the other hand it would give the game a definitive 'best' ending. You'd have 'Sacrifice all the people you failed' or 'Sacrifice Chloe' reset option. By minimising the damage on 'Sacrifice Arcadia Bay' it would be an obviously easier option to accept. I believe the writers deliberately didn't want to do that. They didn't want us to be able to make it an easy choice.

UNKLEPhilosophy
28th Nov 2015, 09:55
Why the hell people talking about mass murderer? there is no evidence everybody died if you sacrificed arcadia bay... I chosed that ending too, david was in the dark room, "IF everybody die" there is no reason to arrest Jefferson option, there are animals in the ending if everybody "die" those animals should died too. plus BIG plus its a videogame..

Messiah_X
28th Nov 2015, 16:54
I just finished the game a few days ago and saw an almost 50/50 split with a few points in favor of Sacrifice Chloe. I don't believe there was a right or wrong choice, just two gray choices with no happy ending.

I also believe that when time travel is involved, there is no "ending." Season 2, if there is one and it still involves the same characters, could very easily come back in time and say that both choices were wrong and didn't prevent anything and they still have to mess around with time until they get it right. We just don't have enough information about what happens after either ending.

UNKLEPhilosophy
28th Nov 2015, 21:35
I just finished the game a few days ago and saw an almost 50/50 split with a few points in favor of Sacrifice Chloe. I don't believe there was a right or wrong choice, just two gray choices with no happy ending.

I also believe that when time travel is involved, there is no "ending." Season 2, if there is one and it still involves the same characters, could very easily come back in time and say that both choices were wrong and didn't prevent anything and they still have to mess around with time until they get it right. We just don't have enough information about what happens after either ending.

Dontnot confirmed If will be season 2 it will feature different characters/protagonist with different place... and that is the right decision, Yes season1 have no really ending and that's why I love... everybody can use their own imagination this type of games its very rare.I always hated over explained forced games.

Messiah_X
28th Nov 2015, 21:52
I think that a new setting is the best idea. Max and Chloe had a beautiful story. Don't ruin it by milking it for all its worth.

UNKLEPhilosophy
29th Nov 2015, 09:45
I think that a new setting is the best idea. Max and Chloe had a beautiful story. Don't ruin it by milking it for all its worth.

Exactly.. I agree, its very hard to make a sequel what is good like the "Original" was (just look today "AAA" games its laughable lol..).. heck sequels In both movie and games was never really good like the original was.

Messiah_X
29th Nov 2015, 15:17
Exactly.. I agree, its very hard to make a sequel what is good like the "Original" was (just look today "AAA" games its laughable lol..).. heck sequels In both movie and games was never really good like the original was.

It can be done, but obviously won't please everyone. I think the key to a good sequel is to expand on the ideas from the original, but without trying too hard to top it. There have been tons of great sequels, even nowadays.

I could see a LiS sequel being very great if they decide to keep the same themes, but exploring different characters. Just add some more meaningful choices and more endings instead of basing it all on the final choice. Witcher 3 for example, whether you like the game or not, had more endings based on less choices and didn't even have a "final choice." However, I wouldn't want them to try too hard to top the story of the first by making it bigger or more epic like many developers do. Just keep the same humble story of friendship and relationships with some hints at bigger, world-ending sci-fi events and it will be good.

Tataboj
3rd Dec 2015, 17:38
It can be done, but obviously won't please everyone. I think the key to a good sequel is to expand on the ideas from the original, but without trying too hard to top it. There have been tons of great sequels, even nowadays.

I could see a LiS sequel being very great if they decide to keep the same themes, but exploring different characters. Just add some more meaningful choices and more endings instead of basing it all on the final choice. Witcher 3 for example, whether you like the game or not, had more endings based on less choices and didn't even have a "final choice." However, I wouldn't want them to try too hard to top the story of the first by making it bigger or more epic like many developers do. Just keep the same humble story of friendship and relationships with some hints at bigger, world-ending sci-fi events and it will be good.

I would live even without the world-ending events here...