PDA

View Full Version : CASH-ONLY HALLOWEEN EVENT!?!? Are you trying to ruin your game?

Blazzphemy
28th Oct 2015, 06:07
The title says all. Are you really serious right now to add chests that are key only for holiday prizes!?!?!? ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS SqEn/PSY??

First you ruin ranked with the forced overseas matchmaking and now this!?!?!? You are going to ruin this game. I am already glad I thought twice about spending money on this game because I knew it was going to get worse over time.

I hope to see something about this event change in the next day or so otherwise I am done with Nosgoth. I am literally walking a thread as to hating this game after so long trying to hold out that you'd get your act together with this game/community but you are showing nothing twords it. *shakes head*

TheDreamcrusher
28th Oct 2015, 16:20
I'm assuming by Ryan's post in the recent chests thread that these calls are being made by Square Enix.

Blazzphemy
28th Oct 2015, 16:45
I have this feeling like Nosgoth is going to get shut down with the cash grab holiday event. I think they are just trying to save face and just soak as much money now and then call it quits.

KaininitePriestess
28th Oct 2015, 16:47
I'm assuming by Ryan's post in the recent chests thread that these calls are being made by Square Enix.

I think that was confirmed somewhere months ago when some of the microtransactiony things started and people began voicing unhappy opinions.

For what it's worth, I figured that was the case from the beginning, for reasons. It didn't surprise me when they confirmed it, just confirmed certain suspicions I had. It tends to leave a bitter taste in your mouth when you've waited 10 years for a new LoK game, find out that a new company has bought the rights to it, and then they cancelled development on one game and set really restrictive funding on the other. Psyonix obviously loves this franchise and is putting a lot of love and effort into it, but it really feels like Square has other ideas entirely.

Da_Wolv
28th Oct 2015, 17:06
The title says all. Are you really serious right now to add chests that are key only for holiday prizes!?!?!? ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS SqEn/PSY??

Its not like they announced it weeks ago... oh wait.. they did.

First you ruin ranked with the forced overseas matchmaking and now this!?!?!?
Ya... the forced overseas matchmaking is what ruined ranked :D Sure. Let's say it's that.

CountEyokir
28th Oct 2015, 17:13
Psyonix obviously loves this franchise and is putting a lot of love and effort into it, but it really feels like Square has other ideas entirely.

yeah I get that impression. Pysonix seem to be the ones wanting to do awesome additions, like maps, skins, juicy lore stuff- but Square Enix keeps on demanding more stuff to drain our wallets in micro-transactions because that's really the only way triple A games know how to do fiancés anymore. So when the inevitable does happen and honestly I suspect its only a matter of time, Psyonix had my sympathy for trying to do something with the LoK franchise under the whip of a task master with no idea what actually works anymore.

TheDreamcrusher
28th Oct 2015, 18:01
I'm sure some executive at Square Enix came up with a plan and a flowsheet that shows how competitive online games make money with microtransactions purely by looking at what other games have done with microtransactions. An executive who doesn't play computer games.

CountEyokir
28th Oct 2015, 18:17
I'm sure some executive at Square Enix came up with a plan and a flowsheet that shows how competitive online games make money with microtransactions purely by looking at what other games have done with microtransactions. An executive who doesn't play computer games.

Watch the Jimquisition at the escapist and you'll know how depressingly accurate that statement is

-Shiro-
28th Oct 2015, 18:56
I seriously hope some people from the higher ups will read all these threads. Not just the 'people are unhappy' feedback, but each intervention here, because they're worth their consideration.

Blazzphemy
28th Oct 2015, 19:44
Wow I just seen the "Play from the 30th-1st for increased chests drops and keys drops." and this is not fixing your terrible marketing plan. Not at all, I don't care about a "cash only" key being dropped, when all the chests contents are terrible/old skins you already gave away for free. That is the kicker, making people PAY for old free skins... It is just as bad as seeing the basic skins for Runestones in the shop.

SqEn please take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG look at what is happening, not at your under-par profit margins from your bad marketing.

KaininitePriestess
29th Oct 2015, 11:02
Wow I just seen the "Play from the 30th-1st for increased chests drops and keys drops." and this is not fixing your terrible marketing plan. Not at all, I don't care about a "cash only" key being dropped, when all the chests contents are terrible/old skins you already gave away for free. That is the kicker, making people PAY for old free skins... It is just as bad as seeing the basic skins for Runestones in the shop.

SqEn please take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG look at what is happening, not at your under-par profit margins from your bad marketing.

FWIW, the skin that's in the chests now is the Bloody Survivor skin, which was the one you had to pay money for before and I was super excited to buy even though I had already earned the Bloody Victor skin in the Leagues. Then it was removed from the store and I was super upset. ;/ I just hope one of the two Devil's Night chests I open with my League keys this time gives me that stupid skin.

Also, sort of off-topic, but has anyone else noticed the funny thing about how the Chests/Keys debacle has made us stop complaining about there not being a way to earn Runestones? I think we officially found an even worse cashgrab.

And to think, a couple of months ago, I was just mad that they hadn't implemented a way for us to earn RS's like every other single f2p game in existence. Even those really terrible, borderline-illegal mobile games that jack the price up on their premium currency every time they sucker you into buying some at least give you a way of earning 1 every 100 levels or something! But nope, not Nosgoth.

Thanks, Squeenix. Whatever would we do without you? o7 This...is honestly the kind of management from Square that gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I found out they'd bought the rights to LoK. :/ Again, Psyonix has shown us nothing but love and devotion for this game. I can't say the same for Square.

Vampmaster
29th Oct 2015, 11:26
FWIW, the skin that's in the chests now is the Bloody Survivor skin, which was the one you had to pay money for before and I was super excited to buy even though I had already earned the Bloody Victor skin in the Leagues. Then it was removed from the store and I was super upset. ;/ I just hope one of the two Devil's Night chests I open with my League keys this time gives me that stupid skin.

Also, sort of off-topic, but has anyone else noticed the funny thing about how the Chests/Keys debacle has made us stop complaining about there not being a way to earn Runestones? I think we officially found an even worse cashgrab.

And to think, a couple of months ago, I was just mad that they hadn't implemented a way for us to earn RS's like every other single f2p game in existence. Even those really terrible, borderline-illegal mobile games that jack the price up on their premium currency every time they sucker you into buying some at least give you a way of earning 1 every 100 levels or something! But nope, not Nosgoth.

Thanks, Squeenix. Whatever would we do without you? o7 This...is honestly the kind of management from Square that gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I found out they'd bought the rights to LoK. :/ Again, Psyonix has shown us nothing but love and devotion for this game. I can't say the same for Square.

They didn't buy the rights from Eidos, they bought Eidos itself, which includes Crystal Dynamics. All they could have done is sold LOK to another company or the now company-less seller personally hang on to it and done nothing with it. As far as I know, it's still structured as Eidos was with most of the decisions regarding the western studios being made by Square Enix Europe rather than Japan.

The owner isn't really the problem. It's that ever since the market crashed, the financial directors or whatever have decided the safest way to continue is to copy each others strategies and not try any other options.

KaininitePriestess
29th Oct 2015, 12:32
Oh, I know they didn't buy LoK itself, but LoK is what I was so loyal to Eidos for, so that's what it basically boiled down to when I heard they'd bought Eidos. :/

I miss Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, like seriously hardcore. They were my favorite dev, by far.

Vampmaster
29th Oct 2015, 12:37
Oh, I know they didn't buy LoK itself, but LoK is what I was so loyal to Eidos for, so that's what it basically boiled down to when I heard they'd bought Eidos. :/

I miss Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, like seriously hardcore. They were my favorite dev, by far.

I suspect Crystal Dynamics might be trying to pitch something based on recent news, but it's unlikely we'll know for sure unless it either gets greenlit and announced or abandoned for Mama Robotnik to add to his list of cancelled LOK games someday.

-Shiro-
29th Oct 2015, 12:48
Again, Psyonix has shown us nothing but love and devotion for this game. I can't say the same for Square.

Yes, and that's exactly why they (Psyonix) should put pressure on Square Enix about the way they rule their marketing strategy. I don't want Psyonix to be associated with these moves.

KaininitePriestess
29th Oct 2015, 12:55
I suspect Crystal Dynamics might be trying to pitch something based on recent news, but it's unlikely we'll know for sure unless it either gets greenlit and announced or abandoned for Mama Robotnik to add to his list of cancelled LOK games someday.

WHAT??? QAQ Don't say things like that, you'll get my hopes up just to have my heart broken all over again!

Just the thought of another CD LoK game gives me whiplash feels because of over 10 years of being jerked around by cancelled games that it makes me weepy!

Yes, and that's exactly why they (Psyonix) should put pressure on Square Enix about the way they rule their marketing strategy. I don't want Psyonix to be associated with these moves.

Unfortunately, I don't think Psyonix would have the power to put pressure on Squeenix. :/ If they give too much kickback, then Square will just fire them and get another team to do the game instead.

lucinvampire
29th Oct 2015, 14:11
Psyonix obviously loves this franchise and is putting a lot of love and effort into it

:thumb: :D indeedy

You’re going to make Psyonix cry now

I’m really hoping and praying!
...just don't bring DS back. :p

CountEyokir
29th Oct 2015, 14:17
:...just don't bring DS back. :p

They couldn't even if they wanted to since Dead Sun's assests got reworked into Nosgoth. They'd have to start over again, which I am very thankful for. SE tries to revive Dead Sun and and I think this would be a grand response: -

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a7/a772f62f11a0d1e1521263cf45955e7dd485d8d147bd4b0615de9143fe55f96a.jpg

That being said of course.....if there is a new PROPER LoK game to be made...then I hope to god it isn't fully of current gaming trends like micropayments for an ingame store. *coughdeadspace3cough* nor would it gate off content that ought to be in the final game for preorder DLC. I don't trust the current development industry not to do this so hard to LoK Kain himself beings to cry

ButtCrusher
29th Oct 2015, 14:31
If 1000 active players spend $10 monthly, it should be enough for keep one skilled developer at office and drink coffee. SE just looking for most gently way to get your money without ruinning comfort or bringing pay2win. So be happy to open this chests and support your favorite game. Also event items is pretty useless, and you can pay if you want to collect it.

Blazzphemy
29th Oct 2015, 20:09
@buttcrusher While it is true they need to make money, we know, one does not simply keep a free-2-play game up and running without sales, BUT with all of their poor marketing techniques, lack of advertisement to bring more people in (they are still leaning on the "it is still in beta and we wanna get it perfect" lie), lack of actual game development ( in ooohhhh a year and a half they only added 2 skills for characters (we need MORE FOR EVERYONE!), 2 maps (fane/crucible), and like.... 12-15 skins/executions for vamps/lots of cash only items. The cash only items have been pouring in non stop, the nicest thing they did for the pure F2P is the Gold only skins which are just recolors... something any child with adobe can do..., SqEn needs to make themselves more visable or just stay out of this, most cause they do not see the trouble they are causing internally.

SqEn either needs to make themselves present so they can see first hand the hell they are creating with this money sink OR just give it all up to Psyonix and let THEM make this right.

GenFeelGood
29th Oct 2015, 20:21

I hope your suspicions are true, the CD teams have to be getting bored with putting almost all their time and energy into Tomb Raider.

ButtCrusher
30th Oct 2015, 03:10
@buttcrusher While it is true they need to make money, we know, one does not simply keep a free-2-play game up and running without sales, BUT with all of their poor marketing techniques, lack of advertisement to bring more people in (they are still leaning on the "it is still in beta and we wanna get it perfect" lie), lack of actual game development ( in ooohhhh a year and a half they only added 2 skills for characters (we need MORE FOR EVERYONE!), 2 maps (fane/crucible), and like.... 12-15 skins/executions for vamps/lots of cash only items. The cash only items have been pouring in non stop, the nicest thing they did for the pure F2P is the Gold only skins which are just recolors... something any child with adobe can do...,
Classes/abilities implement speed are fine. It should be tested for longer time, more classes/abilities -> harder to tweak abils. Also it's time to test lot of other things, and test ways to earn money is most important if you want to see this project released.

SqEn needs to make themselves more visable or just stay out of this, most cause they do not see the trouble they are causing internally.

Agree about transparency. Asked for desired roadmap there (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=182670). Have some additions?

Vampmaster
30th Oct 2015, 09:56
I hope your suspicions are true, the CD teams have to be getting bored with putting almost all their time and energy into Tomb Raider.

A break from Tomb Raider would do that franchise good too. It lets anticipation from fans build up and gives the team time to come up with new ideas. When games share an engine, functionality that was intended for one game inspires unexpected new ideas for another. It keeps things from getting stale. (Sorry for going off topic)

KaininitePriestess
30th Oct 2015, 15:25
You’re going to make Psyonix cry now

LOL Aww, no, I'm not saying Psyonix isn't good! They've honestly won me over really hard with the love they've put into this. They honestly have been doing a better job making things fit then the people who made BO2, imho, so they're totally in that group, now! I just mean the dev groups from my childhood. XD

And I'll have to agree about the "Don't bring DS back if you value your life!" thing. In a joking way. Mostly. What we saw of that game has always reminded me of what happened when they tried to remake Devil May Cry: It tried way too hard to be edgier and more hardcore, lost a lot of it's humor, went for shock-value and sex and foul language, and lost all of the charm of the old series. :/ That one Hunter woman's random freely-wagging booble comes to mind immediately. It didn't feel like Legacy of Kain or even just the world of Nosgoth in general at all.

Ygdrasel
31st Oct 2015, 19:29
I seriously hope some people from the higher ups will read all these threads. Not just the 'people are unhappy' feedback, but each intervention here, because they're worth their consideration.

Frankly, we need to start sending this feedback straight to SE rather than Psyonix here on the forum. And people need to quit buying.