PDA

View Full Version : after finishing the game, i think i need some help.. [spoiler]

TechnoManiac98
28th Oct 2015, 03:24
so i did a HUGE gaming session, started playing the game from EP1 yesterday and 10AM and ended to EP5 at 1AM.

here are my main choices:

i couldn't save kate.

i chose Arcadia bay over chloe.

and overall i kinda was small bit of selfish and helped those who shouldn't be helped..

and holy **** i don't know whats happening to me right now. i went to bed at 2 AM and suddenly woke up at 6 and started searching random stuff about the game. there's something about the game that my brain doesn't accept.. i dont know what to do, i'm not able to sleep or focus on studies anymore. HELP!

iReturnVideotapes
28th Oct 2015, 03:45
I was able to sleep but not without a few dreams/nightmares about the game. I can't remember the last time I dreamt. It hit home really hard for me. Admittedly I'm a sucker for tragic endings because they always stick in my head long after they're over but this was different. It felt much more personal. And maybe that's because it was a video game that I interacted with and not a movie that I'm viewing from a distance, but the game crushed me. For the past week it's all I could think about. It brought me right back to teenhood. The characters felt so real and genuine. The acting was incredible. I've never been so heartbroken after playing a game in my life. No movie, show, game or book has ever made me cry the way this game did. That's special. I'll cherish this game for the rest of my life. For mer personally, I didn't think anything could top Metal Gear Solid 3 for sheer emotion, but I think this did it.

Dire87
28th Oct 2015, 03:47
The feeling will pass...the first 2-3 days after I played it through I just couldn't let go, either. You'll get over it. Oh, and sign the petition ;)

TechnoManiac98
28th Oct 2015, 04:17
The feeling will pass...the first 2-3 days after I played it through I just couldn't let go, either. You'll get over it. Oh, and sign the petition ;)

phew.. thats a relief! i thought i wasn't normal. also what petition?

I was able to sleep but not without a few dreams/nightmares about the game. I can't remember the last time I dreamt. It hit home really hard for me. Admittedly I'm a sucker for tragic endings because they always stick in my head long after they're over but this was different. It felt much more personal. And maybe that's because...

ikr... this game hit me so deep the i couldn't sleep! this is the first time ever that's something like this has happened to me from a video game, imo felt equally bad to breaking up a year long relationship. i just hope that i can get over this..

PinkFrog
28th Oct 2015, 10:16
Gaming has so much potential.
We are just starting to realize that....

codemasher
28th Oct 2015, 10:25
Gaming has so much potential.
We are just starting to realize that....

And VR is (finally) usable. Try to imagine the things to come.

To the OP: i can feel you. (but hey, you can easily fix one thing: just replay from the last scene and save Chloe! You'll feel better immedeately! ;))

Tataboj
28th Oct 2015, 10:28
so i did a HUGE gaming session, started playing the game from EP1 yesterday and 10AM and ended to EP5 at 1AM.

i couldn't save kate.

and overall i kinda was small bit of selfish and helped those who shouldn't be helped..

and holy **** i don't know whats happening to me right now. i went to bed at 2 AM and suddenly woke up at 6 and started searching random stuff about the game. there's something about the game that my brain doesn't accept.. i dont know what to do, i'm not able to sleep or focus on studies anymore. HELP!

I had this in February after Ep 1 and every other episode. That's strong experience, it only proves you're human. You'll remember that. :)

Dire87
28th Oct 2015, 12:15
phew.. thats a relief! i thought i wasn't normal. also what petition?

ikr... this game hit me so deep the i couldn't sleep! this is the first time ever that's something like this has happened to me from a video game, imo felt equally bad to breaking up a year long relationship. i just hope that i can get over this..

That one:

https://www.change.org/p/dontnod-enterntainment-square-enix-extended-ending-additional-content-for-life-is-strange?recruiter=410113946&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

TechnoManiac98
28th Oct 2015, 12:47
That one:

https://www.change.org/p/dontnod-enterntainment-square-enix-extended-ending-additional-content-for-life-is-strange?recruiter=410113946&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

singed it, i somewhat agree with the petition. and i know why i was feeling so weird and restless, that damn music, the funeral and other stuff of the ending made me feel like i actually lost my best friend.. after playing the 2nd ending just a few hours back, i started feeling quite normal again but yes, the other ending was too short and could have had more content.. i got a question about the petition, how did DontNod didn't had enough funds? the game was freakin' amazing i bet a lot of people bought the season pass. devs were the lazy? or greedy? or actually there was a problem with funding?

Xeva-q
28th Oct 2015, 13:41

i couldn't save kate.

try to drunk some vodka.

CrystalXPredator
28th Oct 2015, 15:03
singed it, i somewhat agree with the petition. and i know why i was feeling so weird and restless, that damn music, the funeral and other stuff of the ending made me feel like i actually lost my best friend.. after playing the 2nd ending just a few hours back, i started feeling quite normal again but yes, the other ending was too short and could have had more content.. i got a question about the petition, how did DontNod didn't had enough funds? the game was freakin' amazing i bet a lot of people bought the season pass. devs were the lazy? or greedy? or actually there was a problem with funding?

The only reason/answer I have so far is following. They are just a little company who still is growing out and they just made two games so far, the third one is under development and will come out near 2017 I guess. So for them it was a bit hard to convince a publisher for thei project and Square Enix was the only one who said "Okay we do that ... deal" :) Square Enix also said okay without questioning their project about their story, otherwise we would have a Maximilian :D instead of Maxine.

Anyway after I've finished the game, I couldn't sleep neither so many question, speculation, interpretation and all that stuff it was such a mindf ... blow that I was the whole 2 days just thinking about it and trying to share it here in the forum to just share my opinion as well as their opnion and it helped me alot so the best thing is really talk here share your thoughts and all that and accept their opinion too it will gave you a bit more closure.

I went with Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending because I don't think I would ever choose anything over my best friend even if I felt totally bad about that choice. ^-^

Dire87
28th Oct 2015, 17:28

Quite easy actually: You have an idea, you pitch that to a publisher or Kickstarter or whatever. What you see is what you get. Squeenix gave them a budget and a deadline. Especially with episodic games it's possible to not meet both of those goals, since you can actively gather feedback from the community and change things up for the next episode, which costs more money and time. It probably doesn't help that they are a young and rather inexperienced studio, I guess. So, IF they really did run out of money and time, it's not so unexpected. They never said that, they said, that they had more ideas, but there was no more time or money to potentially implement them. Those ideas might have not made the final cut anyway. They settled on a story and experience and delivered that. Whether that's good or not is up to the consumer.

Nissiku
29th Oct 2015, 16:54
Could not sleep for first 2 days. Still have trouble sleeping. Didn't eat for 5 days, eat a little today and feel sick. Can't stop thinking about and crying. I have chronic depression, but the one caused by LiS is one of the worst I ever experienced. Neither art, nor RL never invoked such feeling for my entire life. It's not like I'm new to death or something, but I never had any problems of "letting go". But not this time. It hit me harder than anything ever did.
I think I should write something like "open letter"... I probably will.

KristaD
29th Oct 2015, 17:08
Could not sleep for first 2 days. Still have trouble sleeping. Didn't eat for 5 days, eat a little today and feel sick. Can't stop thinking about and crying. I have chronic depression, but the one caused bi LiS is one of the worst I ever experienced. Neither art, nor RL never invoked such feeling for my entire life. It's not like I'm new to death or something, but I never had any problems of "letting go". But not this time. It hit me harder than anything ever did.
I think I should write something like "open letter"... I probably will.

Write about your experiences and feeling you felt while playing the game (here or somewhere else, diary maybe ?) :)

It helped me get my thoughts in order that way.

Dire87
29th Oct 2015, 17:53
Write about your experiences and feeling you felt while playing the game (here or somewhere else, diary maybe ?) :)

It helped me get my thoughts in order that way.

oh and maybe talk to an expert, if you're not already doing that. I get it that this game evokes extreme emotions, but not sleeping and eating for several days is above that and you need help processing that I guess. But since you say you have chronic depression I hope you are already getting help...still, would talk about that.

KristaD
29th Oct 2015, 18:56
oh and maybe talk to an expert, if you're not already doing that. I get it that this game evokes extreme emotions, but not sleeping and eating for several days is above that and you need help processing that I guess. But since you say you have chronic depression I hope you are already getting help...still, would talk about that.

Was this meant for Nissiku by any chance ? I however had enough of reoccurring various problems to know what is needed to get past it (yes, professional help included).

Dire87
30th Oct 2015, 00:56
Was this meant for Nissiku by any chance ? I however had enough of reoccurring various problems to know what is needed to get past it (yes, professional help included).

Yes, it was intended for him or her. I just used your quote. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 09:11
Yes, it was intended for him or her. I just used your quote. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

Not much of a problem for me, just figured he/she might need those read those words more than I do. :)

TechnoManiac98
30th Oct 2015, 16:45
so i'm playing the game the 2nd time now, making things right. since i didn't knew about this game till EP5 was release and i add all at once in a day, idk how it would have felt after each episode, knowing that you won't get to know what happens next for the next 2 months or so.. how did you guys felt after the ending of EP3 and 4?

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 16:50
Episode 3 not much of a problem given it's the mid section of the game (generally slower paced than the rest), but episode 4... I don't think nothing has bothered me as much as seeing Chloe being shot and wondering if her life could be saved this time around...

Sky_collapsed
9th Nov 2015, 08:38
I was similar. 4 or so days after finishing it I couldn't sleep too well, went to bed at my normal time and woke up at 11:30 every night for 4 or so days than back to bed and up again by 2-3am. I also kept making alternate dialog and etc in my head with Kate and kept mentally putting myself in such a situation rather than Max's character, was a bit strange to say the least.

EDIT: On top of that, the game made me really, really depressed, the ending combined with saving/unable to save Kate were too real.

KristaD
9th Nov 2015, 09:32
I was similar. 4 or so days after finishing it I couldn't sleep too well, went to bed at my normal time and woke up at 11:30 every night for 4 or so days than back to bed and up again by 2-3am. I also kept making alternate dialog and etc in my head with Kate and kept mentally putting myself in such a situation rather than Max's character, was a bit strange to say the least.

EDIT: On top of that, the game made me really, really depressed, the ending combined with saving/unable to save Kate were too real.

I get you there. I had a situation with my younger brother yesterday and second suicide attempt this year. I can't imagine the effect it would have had if I would have failed to save his ass these two times.