PDA

View Full Version : I've never played a game so heartbreaking in my life. *spoilers*

iReturnVideotapes
25th Oct 2015, 10:03
For the last two days I've isolated myself from everyone just because it's all I could think about. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't want to see anyone. I just wanted to be left alone. I was left an emotional wreck after I finished the game. Other games have made me cry. Metal Gear Solid 3 was the first. The opening to The Last of Us made me teary eyed. No game however, made me bawl my eyes out like was a little kid again. I can't remember the last time I cried like that.

What made it worse was that the beginning of the episode was played out like a happy ending. Jefferson was caught. Max was in San Francisco enjoying her future, and seemingly Chloe was safe. Then we got the phone call. Then everything started to spiral downwards. The Wax Museum reminding us of all the great times we had with Chloe to build up to that final climax was perfect. And then when you're transported back to the bathroom and the camera fixes on the door for a few moments giving you a false sense of hope that it won't happen, and then finally seeing Max sitting against that stall, knowing what was about to happen and what must have been racing through her mind when it did yet not being able to do anything about it...I mean it was crushing. It had to be the saddest ending to anything I've ever played. A game so relentlessly dark it put me in a depressing place.

It's sad that there's so much anger and outrage over the endings, but as much as I love this game, it's not without merit. The developers did promise multiple endings based on player choice. And the fact that we were allowed to choose which ending at the end pretty much negated all the choice players were given throughout the episodes.

I hope developers understand that when they see anger and outrage like this over the ending, it's not because they hate the game, it's because they love the game. It's called passion and plenty of great works of art have gotten their fill of it. GRR Martin is a prime example. I do believe that those who wanted a happy ending, should have gotten more than what they got.

In regards to sacrificing AB, I wanted to see shots of the town getting demolished. Your friends getting killed. Families hurdling together safe in their houses before being swept up into the storm. I think it was crucial to show the audience what it is they chose. They had to see the death and chaos in order to truly let it sink in that they condemned an entire town for the sake of one person. I wanted to see Max show us that she knew sacrificing an entire town for Chloe was the wrong decision, and that she made end up mentally scarred by it for the rest of her life, but that the love for her best friend transcended all logic and reason. I think that would have provided much more closure to a series than this did.

Otherwise the one I chose just left me gutted. The presentation of this tale was phenomenal. I think I'm lucky because I never really expected your choices to mean anything in this game. Telltale has promised us that since the original Walking Dead and never delivered so I kind of got used to it. There's always the illusion of choice but it always ends up on the same path anyway. It helped knowing that ahead of time.

The game reminded me a lot of various coming of age films like Thirteen, Mean Creek and Stand by Me. It's a game that means so much to me that I can see myself playing again for another 20 years. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

--TIE--
25th Oct 2015, 10:08
You are not the only one! :) Best Gamestory, Best Chars for years. Finaly...finaly a game that´s touch me right in my soul. The most stuff out there is about Part X from X and only smal graphicdemos. See what we can creat with X Million Budget. But all of that was heartless, fun for a while but this small gem is pure Art over 4 Parts storytelling at its best. I wish such projects had a better chance and a bigger budget not only the so called trippleA Shoter. Life Is Strange!

Lehkeri
25th Oct 2015, 10:13
I've said this like a million times before, and I'll say it again. Thematically there is nothing wrong with the endings choices, they fit the story. They've been foreshadowed. One endings is already beautiful, dramatic, sad and complete. But the other needs work. It needs to show some consequences. It lacks content, to put it bluntly.

I can only give a first-hand example, which I've already posted somewhere in these forums, but here goes.

" I've been writing a story for over a year. Perhaps it'll be a book one day. But in that story, there was a scene where the a certain thing happened and the main character did something very out of character for her. When my friend read this part, he pointed it out. He said it didn't make sense for the character to do this. I defended my work, telling him that the character acts because she knows this and that. But then he said to me something I will never forget.

"She knows, but the reader doesn't. You haven't told told this to the reader."

And he was right. I cursed in my mind how blind I was. I was blinded by the fact that I knew how that scene went, but didn't tell the reader, because I forgot that I, as the writer, do know EVERYTHING that happens now and/or "behind the scenes". I forgot to tell and I forgot to show."

This is my stance. Sure, if they make more endings, I wouldn't object. There are great examples in these very forums how to expand current endings so that your previous choices would matter. That'd be great!

I am very glad you liked the ending you got and enjoyed the game. As my wife said: "Thank you Dontnod for making this game. It was more than a game to me, it was a personal journey"

And I agree with her.