PDA

View Full Version : What I simply don't get...

Toadward88888888
24th Oct 2015, 11:27
Hi everyone!

First of all it has been an amazing journey and although I'm not 100% satisfied with the ending, I'd like to thank Dontnod for creating something truly special.

Nevertheless there's one thing, which I just didn't get, after finishing Episode 5.

How I see it (and as mentioned in the game) the storm is caused by Max messing with time, which she first did in Episode 1, in order to save Chloe in the bathroom.
So how is it possible that Max already saw the storm in the vision right at the beginning of Episode 1, although she hasn't had used her powers until she saved Chloe in the bathroom (which chronologically happened after the vision) and the storm therefore shouldn't even have existed at that time?

I hope that wasn't too confusing and please don't bother to correct me if anything of the above stated is rubbish. :)

Lehkeri
24th Oct 2015, 12:05
That is a good question to which, I have no asnwer :/

And I'm about to "steal" your thread a bit, since the title is perfect and I'd prefer not to spam this forum with threads.

Okay, what baffles me is that why in there are bizarre weather stuff in the alternate timeline, where Chloe is in wheelchair? Is it because William? Is it because Chloe was not shot in the bathroom, where she isn't even supposed to be in this timeline? What am I missing here?

Okay, let's assume Chloe was supposed to die on Monday either way, but in this timeline she's in a wheelchair and not getting shot in the bathroom, okay. This causes the weather to change. But, wouldn't the universe, who is out to get Chloe, try again on tuesday, like in the original timeline? Now Max wouldn't be there to save her, since she only goes to Chloe after the player regains control, and that's what, wednesday or thursday? Now if Max wasn't there to save her, she'd be dead.

Maybe I'm making an ass of myself, but I kinda need someone to explain this to me. Wouldn't this mean the storm is not caused by Chloe not dying but Max using her powers?

Tataboj
24th Oct 2015, 12:17
That is a good question to which, I have no asnwer :/

And I'm about to "steal" your thread a bit, since the title is perfect and I'd prefer not to spam this forum with threads.

Okay, what baffles me is that why in there are bizarre weather stuff in the alternate timeline, where Chloe is in wheelchair? Is it because William? Is it because Chloe was not shot in the bathroom, where she isn't even supposed to be in this timeline? What am I missing here?

Okay, let's assume Chloe was supposed to die on Monday either way, but in this timeline she's in a wheelchair and not getting shot in the bathroom, okay. This causes the weather to change. But, wouldn't the universe, who is out to get Chloe, try again on tuesday, like in the original timeline? Now Max wouldn't be there to save her, since she only goes to Chloe after the player regains control, and that's what, wednesday or thursday? Now if Max wasn't there to save her, she'd be dead.

Maybe I'm making an ass of myself, but I kinda need someone to explain this to me. Wouldn't this mean the storm is not caused by Chloe not dying but Max using her powers?

I made a theory about that, well, I stole it from StrangerThanFiction and improved a bit. :)

The storm is caused by too many alternate realities and the more you make them, the worse it's gonna get. So if Max has to take it back to the normal, she has to go to the point where she got the powers and reset it all.

nfsnerd
24th Oct 2015, 16:41
I made a theory about that, well, I stole it from StrangerThanFiction and improved a bit. :)

The storm is caused by too many alternate realities and the more you make them, the worse it's gonna get. So if Max has to take it back to the normal, she has to go to the point where she got the powers and reset it all.

But going back doesn't cancel the alternate realities, it just creates another one. And even if it does, she already used her powers the first time, when Chloe got shot the first time, she rewound herself back to the classroom (I still don't know how, because she should always stand still when using the rewind but whatever), and then broke her camera, rewound again, and then she went to the bathroom and took the picture again, (and saved Chloe with the fire alarm) which she travelled back to at the end of episode 5. So basically to the timeline she went back to, she already used her powers twice.

Corinth
24th Oct 2015, 17:14
But going back doesn't cancel the alternate realities, it just creates another one. And even if it does, she already used her powers the first time, when Chloe got shot the first time, she rewound herself back to the classroom (I still don't know how, because she should always stand still when using the rewind but whatever), and then broke her camera, rewound again, and then she went to the bathroom and took the picture again, (and saved Chloe with the fire alarm) which she travelled back to at the end of episode 5. So basically to the timeline she went back to, she already used her powers twice.

See, it is for this reason I think that the story is really saying "The Universe (or God) hates Chloe" from the very beginning.

It ain't manipulating time that causes the Tornado; it is saving Chloe from Nathan that does. The Universe (or God) wants Chloe to die, end of story no matter what and that bothers me from a Christian point of view.

JohnnyPepsi
24th Oct 2015, 17:47
::sigh::

And to think, if Max was the one who was supposed to get shot in that bathroom instead of Chloe, it would have solved so damn much.

Why did Max get a vision of the storm before she got her rewind powers? Because she needs to know what the stakes are, and it gets her to the bathroom.

Why did the butterfly show up? Because she would have been standing there if Nathan walked in, and he would have left right after. She needed to step in at just the right time to get shot.

Why did Max get her rewind powers? Because Chloe got shot instead of her. You get back there right now and eat your bullet, young lady!

Why does the universe keep trying to kill Chloe? Dude, Chloe's reckless. But Death was apparently aiming for Max and kept missing. Plus, if Death really had a rage-on for Chloe, he would have given her a heart attack in her sleep.

Why is it that Chloe has to die to stop the storm, yet she spends half of the fifth episode dead, and the storm comes anyway? Because Max was the one who was supposed to die.

I'm not opposed to a tragic ending. I'm not even opposed to a tragic ending to Life is Strange. But please, for the love of God, give me a tragic ending that makes sense.

Although, if there was an ending where Max survives the gunshot based on how many rewinds she used throughout all five episodes, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Just because it's a point-and-click adventure game, doesn't mean we can't reward folks for smart play.

Corinth
24th Oct 2015, 17:53
Although, if there was an ending where Max survives the gunshot based on how many rewinds she used throughout all five episodes, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Just because it's a point-and-click adventure game, doesn't mean we can't reward folks for smart play.

Now THAT's an ending I could get behind. Max is hiding behind the stall, and decides to step out and distract Nathan, he turns around and shoots Max in the surprise, Chloe gives him a good kick and then slips out the door.

Max might survive if she made enough "good" choices or if she used her powers sparingly as possible (IMO, only the rewinds that changed decisions should be counted), though I think it would make more sense that Max survives IF she had good intentions and if she was as morally sound as possible. Trying to track every single rewind in a game that allows you to replay chapters at your leisure is kinda 'eh'... not sure how that would work.

JohnnyPepsi
24th Oct 2015, 18:11
The thing is, one of the things that's still really good about Life is Strange is that it evades the accusation leveled at games by Telltale and David Cage in that there is actual skill required to play it. It's possible to save Chloe in the first episode and get her off the tracks in the second without using a single rewind in either instance. It's close, but it's possible.

Which means that someone, somewhere, knows the actual minimum number of rewinds it takes to complete the game. How many rewinds over this magic number determines the unlock of the third ending.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you somewhat, because Max's actions are hazy to say the least. There are some where you can't blame Max for picking either option. Plus, imposing a morality system would seem a tad video gamey. In the negative way. I was going for "Max is too exhausted from all the excessive rewinding to pull through" more than anything else.

Oh dear, it appears I've derailed the thread.

nfsnerd
24th Oct 2015, 18:58
See, it is for this reason I think that the story is really saying "The Universe (or God) hates Chloe" from the very beginning.

It ain't manipulating time that causes the Tornado; it is saving Chloe from Nathan that does. The Universe (or God) wants Chloe to die, end of story no matter what and that bothers me from a Christian point of view.

Okay, that is a reasonable argument. But then why Max got her powers when she did, if not to save Chloe? If the universe wants to kill Chloe, that's fine, but then why would it give the means to prevent it to someone? And then punish with a tornado for using it.

CrystalXPredator
24th Oct 2015, 19:10
This is also what I prefer to keep it as "mystique" from "whom" she got the power.
When they explain it, it would be weird. But when they say how or why maybe only how she got the power,
"why" could throw the mystique away either I guess

The game need these kind of mystiques otherwise it would be just weird and strange.

Lehkeri
25th Oct 2015, 10:53
Some say that in the Car ending Chloe is wearing a different ring. Is that true? If so, where did she get that? Does Joyce have a ring? I'm sure the jewelry stores are closed when their owner is lying stiff under a whale. Also, if there is a new ring, how much time has passed since the tornado?

Tataboj
25th Oct 2015, 11:04

Going back to the situation where she got rewind powers and doing nothing resets it. Or, Max simply cannot alter the behaviour of them in the bathroom.

PalatineKatinka
25th Oct 2015, 11:53
when Chloe got shot the first time, she rewound herself back to the classroom (I still don't know how, because she should always stand still when using the rewind but whatever)

This is something that has a part of me thinking that the first time in the bathroom wasn't a rewind but possibly a vision. It doesn't follow the established rules of rewind but could fit as a very realistic vision that Max thinks is reality. I can't really prove it, it's just a theory. She does often emphasise how real the visiosn and her nightmare feel. Maybe that one was just so realistic and close to what should be happening that she thought it was.

Tataboj
25th Oct 2015, 11:57
It's the first rewind, the "starter", so I don't see anything weird with it.