PDA

View Full Version : You guys are missing the message (SPOILERS)

RagdollZombie
24th Oct 2015, 03:48
A lot of people are disappointed with both of the endings to Life is Strange. To be honest, I'm also a little disappointed, but only because there were just two endings and not more.

A lot of people are angry that "their choices didn't seem to matter". I can see that from a gamer's perspective, but from Max's perspective, it did matter.

Yes, to sacrifice Chloe she had to undo ALL of the choices she made throughout the entire game, but all of those good times she spent with Chloe and everyone else would never go away, no matter what reality she was in. She will always remember those good times, and it's better to have had those memories then to have not had them at all.

This video basically explains what I'm trying to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRmkwuqkw

The game has a REALLY powerful message that most people don't seem to realize, at least in my opinion. The game isn't 100% perfect, but I still love it no matter what :D

PalatineKatinka
24th Oct 2015, 04:07
I don't expect all choices to impact the ending but to buy a game that is advertised as having 'multiple endings based on your choices' and then get two endings based on one choice was a bit disappointing. I guess there is technically a third ending as there is 'Sacrifice Chloe' and 'Sacrifice Chloe after kissing her' which is affected by about four choices in the game.

Also, I'm curious what will happen to Max after the funeral when people find out she has absolutely no idea about anything that happened in between then and Chloe being shot. From their point of view she must of had some kind of breakdown as she's blanked out most of a week and invented a fantasy.

Corinth
24th Oct 2015, 04:08
A lot of people are disappointed with both of the endings to Life is Strange. To be honest, I'm also a little disappointed, but only because there were just two endings and not more.

A lot of people are angry that "their choices didn't seem to matter". I can see that from a gamer's perspective, but from Max's perspective, it did matter.

Yes, to sacrifice Chloe she had to undo ALL of the choices she made throughout the entire game, but all of those good times she spent with Chloe and everyone else would never go away, no matter what reality she was in. She will always remember those good times, and it's better to have had those memories then to have not had them at all.

The game has a REALLY powerful message that most people don't seem to realize, at least in my opinion. The game isn't 100% perfect, but I still love it no matter what :D

While I get what the girl in the video is trying to explain, that still doesn't solve the gaping plot holes, like Max failing to tell people about the tornado coming, etc. Just common sense "derp?" stuff that you'd think that nearly anybody would do.

RagdollZombie
24th Oct 2015, 05:43
hmm, yeah i see your point there... there's still a bunch of stuff that hasn't been explained or wrapped up, like the "bomb shelter boom" that the Prescotts brought to the town (which might have saved everyone during the storm??) and pan estates.

--TIE--
24th Oct 2015, 10:17
To me it´s feels a little bit like cheating. The girl in the video trys to see it from a distand view and dont let her emotions come up.

...you see it all over the episodes...

...its foreshadowing...

...ppl die all the time you cant change it...

Yes all very good reasons to be fine with the endings and stay at a "non hurting" distand. But that´s not the content of the game. If you are hit by a sniper, step on an IED or simply sit in MH17 or going over the street and hit by a car or got cancer thats sad and you never had a chance to change it bcs. you cant alter time and you are dead allready bevore you can see it coming.

Max and with her the player see things coming, can act and the game (on the other hand) force you to act, like save chloe during Episode 1, or go back after they got crippled. To see this game or endings from a real world point of view collidate with the inner logic of the game dontnod give to us.

We can act but we are forced to do nothing without any reason. And all decissions we made in the past get´s erased with both endings. Someone can say "your memories remain" yeha nice try but my memories about Chloe or Arcadia Bay means nothing if you stand before her grave or drive through a destroyed City.

Joyce state out that the Gift from Williams death are "...sweet memories..." or something like that. Thats a normal human thinking to go on but will she say the same thing if we ask her to not calling him so he dont go out and had the car accident? And than if she choose to not call we say "Bad girl...call him or your whole family dies a few days later in a Vortex you cause with it!"

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 10:31
When your friend dies you would be sad.

When it is raining you would get wet.

If you <censored> in your pants you would be stink.

Guess what all that things have in common?

IT"S ALL FREAKING OBVIOUS!!!

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 11:18

YES! I couldn't have said it better myself. It's the journey that counts. However, I was satisfied with the two endings. I don't think they could have added a third or fourth ending that would have kept with the way the game was going. But that's just my opinion haha. :)

Personally, I sacrificed Arcadia Bay. Sorry townsfolk :P

Eiji_04
24th Oct 2015, 13:28
The way I see it, devs are just lazy and took on the idea which is a bit too big for them. It went like:

1. Time travel! Wow, this is original, it's intellectual stuff and it's gonna make us the kings of the gamedev immediately! Yay!
2. Female protagonist and teenage drama! It's fresh, we put all this emotional stuff there, everyone gonna love it!
3. Choices and consequences! We'll make it like real life experience, wow!

Reality:

1. Put together time travel, chaos theory, spirit animals, tobanga, selfies, murder, suicide, references to science fiction and pop-culture, detective story with psychopath and his little psycho apprentice, make everyone a suspect, mix it, make a huge mess, DON'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING (well, except for "I caused all of this!"), aaaand - done.
Weird illogical nonsense. Life is strange, duh.

2. Well this isn't overdone, it attracted more female players to the game and with all the teen drama it looks so deep, emotional and real.

3. No freedom of action, choose between two slightly different actions which leads to pretty much the same consequences, illusion of having options and control, when you can only choose from the options were given to you. The funniest part is that your choices don't really matter, you will go through the same predefined situations whatever you do, but yeah, you know THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT - The Tornado which is gonna kill everyone because you "altered" time with the choices we're allowed you to make.

You know, I wouldn't be so disappointed if the they really executed at least one of these ideas well, but it was like making a big snowball of weird crap and it ends like "Well, you know, it's chaos theory, it's time travel, it's weird stuff, yeah...we don't even know what all this means and we don't have to explain anything. Just be happy about it, because life has no answers too, yeah."
I mean, come one, EVERYONE can do this kind of crappy writing while sitting on the pot. Mix a ton of weird and pseudodeepscientific $&^) that you don't even understand and you've a script for a new game/movie/tv show. The thing is that good writing is about logic, about plot and about connections and consequences which make it real and believeable, not just random fantasies. You can look for powerful messages if you want, of course, when nothing is explained you can just go on the line with devs and make up meaningless stuff, but what's the point of reading/watching/playing someone else's work if you're not looking for something logical and complete? I feel like I was cheated. Dunno, maybe I'm asking too much?

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 13:40
The way I see it, devs are just lazy and took on the idea which is a bit too big for them. It went like:

1. Time travel! Wow, this is original, it's intellectual stuff and it's gonna make us the kings of the gamedev immediately! Yay!
2. Female protagonist and teenage drama! It's fresh, we put all this emotional stuff there, everyone gonna love it!

Reality:

1. Put together time travel, chaos theory, spirit animals, tobanga, selfies, murder, suicide, references to science fiction and pop-culture, detective story with psychopath and his little psycho apprentice, make everyone a suspect, mix it, make a huge mess, DON'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING (well, except for "I caused all of this!"), aaaand - done.

2. Well this isn't overdone, it attracted more female players to the game and with all the teen drama it looks so deep, emotional and real.

3. No freedom of action, choose between two slightly different actions which leads to pretty much the same consequences, illusion of having options and control, when you can only choose from the options were given to you. The funniest part is that your choices don't really matter, you will go through the same predefined situations whatever you do, but yeah, you know THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT - The Tornado which is gonna kill everyone because you "altered" time with the choices we're allowed you to make.

You know, I wouldn't be so disappointed if the they really executed at least one of these ideas well, but it was like making a big snowball of weird crap and it ends like "Well, you know, it's chaos theory, it's time travel, it's weird stuff, yeah...we don't even know what all this means and we don't have to explain anything. Just be happy about it, because life has no answers too, yeah."
I mean, come one, EVERYONE can do this kind of crappy writing while sitting on the pot. Mix a ton of weird and pseudodeepscientific $&^) that you don't even understand and you've a script for a new game/movie/tv show. The thing is that good writing is about logic, about plot and about connections and consequences which make it real and believeable, not just random fantasies. You can look for powerful messages if you want, of course, when nothing is explained you can just go on the line with devs and make up meaningless stuff, but what's the point of reading/watching/playing someone else's work if you're not looking for something logical and complete? I feel like I was cheated. Dunno, maybe I'm asking too much?

I just love you. Can we hug?

CrystalXPredator
24th Oct 2015, 16:04

Reality:

Amen :worship:

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 19:42

Reality:

I think that's incredibly harsh. I don't think you can call the devs lazy. I'm sure everyone involved with this game from graphics, to story, to marketing put their all into it. You can see from their tweets that they are really passionate about this game. It's weird, movies and tv shows never get as much hate when the ending doesn't suit everyone. For some reason games get masses of comments about the ending if it's not satisfying e.g. Mass Effect 3.

But hey, everyone has their own opinion and if you didn't like the story/ending/whatever then that's fine. Just putting my 50 cents into the conversation. :) For the record, I loved the game from start to finish. The characters, story, gameplay was all fantastic in my opinion.

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 19:52
I think that's incredibly harsh.

And i think that is sexiest post on this miserable forum. Well, of course if we exclude my posts, that is.

I don't think you can call the devs lazy.

If we assume that they is not lazy, we would be forced to call them stupid. Otherwise, i do not know how can plot of this game have so many holes in it.

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 20:07
And i think that is sexiest post on this miserable forum. Well, of course if we exclude my posts, that is.

If we assume that they is not lazy, we would be forced to call them stupid. Otherwise, i do not know how can plot of this game have so many holes in it.

Haha, why thank you, I'll take that as a compliment. Okay, fair enough if you didn't like the plot. I don't think any amount of convincing will change your mind haha. But that's why I love this forum. People have so many different opinions on it. It's great to see how other people thought the game was and stuff.

RagdollZombie
25th Oct 2015, 00:09
I would cut the Devs some slack.

They've worked super hard on this game. They've listened to our responses throughout, and this can be a lesson for them to improve on their future projects. They've only made two games so far, and Life is Strange was pretty damn good if you ask me. I know that they will improve with a little encouragement :)

I've always loved Life is Strange and I hope the developers continue to make awesome games like this! :D

Werd95
25th Oct 2015, 16:10
I would cut the Devs some slack.

They've worked super hard on this game. They've listened to our responses throughout, and this can be a lesson for them to improve on their future projects. They've only made two games so far, and Life is Strange was pretty damn good if you ask me. I know that they will improve with a little encouragement :)

I've always loved Life is Strange and I hope the developers continue to make awesome games like this! :D

Exactly ^ :)

Tataboj
25th Oct 2015, 19:32

Wait. If everything would be explained, dozens of people would be hugely dissapointed because they were expecting something completely different. For example, I am not a huge fan of the spiritual things, I'm more into the physical/scientific explanation. So if it was like "Rachel spirit gave Max the powers," I wouldn't like it. Just because they leave us room for our own interpretation doesn't mean they are "lazy", in fact, it's sign of good writing in my opinion.

KristaD
25th Oct 2015, 23:41
I've been thinking about this story a bit (more) and that "why" in some what do not matter so much. Of all the hundreds of books I have read, everything from 1984, Dune, The Wave, The Wheel of Time, some of Isaac Asimov's work, The Colour of Magic, various religious/philosophical titles and some Danish and Icelandic books. Very few of these even bother with explaining most of their stuff, even things I would consider very important. I 'll use Deckard from Blade Runner movie (or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick if you like books better) as an example (it's referenced in the game). There is the question if Deckard is a replicant or not. This could be a very important plot point and explain a whole lot regarding Deckard, giving us plenty of answers regarding the "why" concerning Deckers actions, but this is left open to interpretation by the author, witch I like sense I can give the entire book some though and discuss it with other people. I hope I will never see fictional books written like a text book on applied physics.