PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers, maybe, I guess...] The Door Code in the Nightmare.

PalatineKatinka
24th Oct 2015, 00:42
Hi everybody! This is my first post here as I do most of my LiS rambling over on the Steam forums but there's something I wanted to ask more people so figured I'd come here with it too.

How did you find the code to exit the Nightmare Diner restroom? Am I the only person who didn't look about the room but instead checked up on a specific number that would be important to Max? So far nobody on the Steam forums has said they did what I did and it's freaking me out.

julietxjules
24th Oct 2015, 01:01
Do you mean the room with all the numbers on the wall?

Just look in the mirror; the only visible number is the code for the door.

PalatineKatinka
24th Oct 2015, 01:05
Yes, that room and that is what everyone so far has said they did.

It's not what I did. I still got the number first try based on Max saying "One of these numbers must be important..."

LordBattleBeard
24th Oct 2015, 01:05
I just looked straight towards the mirror. But you're right, it's Chloes birthday. Cool easter egg.

PalatineKatinka
24th Oct 2015, 01:13
But apparently I'm the only person obsessed enough with Chloe (and Pricefield) to immediately think Chloe's birthday would be the important number in Max's subconscious. Not sure if I should feel proud about that or freaked out. Currently thinking freaked...

julietxjules
24th Oct 2015, 01:15
But apparently I'm the only person obsessed enough with Chloe (and Pricefield) to immediately think Chloe's birthday would be the important number in Max's subconscious. Not sure if I should feel proud about that or freaked out. Currently thinking freaked...

That's not an issue or problem. For me, I did not make the association and that means I was not as observant as yourself. :)

LordBattleBeard
24th Oct 2015, 02:00
But apparently I'm the only person obsessed enough with Chloe (and Pricefield) to immediately think Chloe's birthday would be the important number in Max's subconscious. Not sure if I should feel proud about that or freaked out. Currently thinking freaked...You can certainly be proud that you processed the information in a different way and were possibly one of the first to find its hidden reference.

But ultimately it comes down to how you processed the information. When Max said one of the numbers must be important, you took what she said quite literally and were therefore able to remember an important number (Chloes DOB. from her school records).

Myself and possibly others just thought "Well, yeah Max, no s--. One of the numbers is important.. its the number we need to open the door!!". Not long after this, Max mentions that the numbers are not being reflected in the mirror, which to most people is an obscure enough point to figure out the mirror is part of a puzzle. If Max hadn't have mentioned the mirror and just repeated herself about it being an "important number", I'm sure more people would have taken it literally too and tried Maxs own and then Chloes DOB.

I figured out Madsens padlock number from memory, Nathans pin code and the dark room code using the same method of referencing Max's journal. But ultimately I didn't think this necessary when Max mentioned the mirror. Its a cool detail to know though so well done.

Corinth
24th Oct 2015, 03:42
You can certainly be proud that you processed the information in a different way and were possibly one of the first to find its hidden reference.

But ultimately it comes down to how you processed the information. When Max said one of the numbers must be important, you took what she said quite literally and were therefore able to remember an important number (Chloes DOB. from her school records).

Myself and possibly others just thought "Well, yeah Max, no s--. One of the numbers is important.. its the number we need to open the door!!". Not long after this, Max mentions that the numbers are not being reflected in the mirror, which to most people is an obscure enough point to figure out the mirror is part of a puzzle. If Max hadn't have mentioned the mirror and just repeated herself about it being an "important number", I'm sure more people would have taken it literally too and tried Maxs own and then Chloes DOB.

I figured out Madsens padlock number from memory, Nathans pin code and the dark room code using the same method of referencing Max's journal. But ultimately I didn't think this necessary when Max mentioned the mirror. Its a cool detail to know though so well done.

There's so many 4-digit codes in the whole game, and how many peeps would think of Chloe's DOB? It's rather obscure with very few hints, so it's a good thing they put the mirror there, lol. That's how I found it, I noticed that the mirror had clean walls 'cept for one number, derp that must be the one and only that goes into the keypad, lol.

Fact is, the only place you actually SEE her DOB is in the school files and it is easily skimmed over/overlooked especially since it was two chapters ago IIRC (that was Ch3 where they broke into the school, right?). So... not everybody is going to remember a split second "blink and you'll miss it" from two chapters ago especially considering the amount of time that went in between the chapters, waiting for the next to come out.

IMO, it is a nice little easter egg, but to actually expect people to solve the puzzle by remembering Chloe's DOB or even that it was given in-game is... a bit obtuse.

One question I'd like to ask...

Why can't we click the actual buttons on the keypad in these kinds of things? That would be SO much faster than clicking up/down arrows.

PalatineKatinka
24th Oct 2015, 19:40
IMO, it is a nice little easter egg, but to actually expect people to solve the puzzle by remembering Chloe's DOB or even that it was given in-game is... a bit obtuse.

I don't expect many people to have solved it that way but I really don't think I'm the only person! I'm yet to hear of anyone else thinking of it though.

Why can't we click the actual buttons on the keypad in these kinds of things? That would be SO much faster than clicking up/down arrows.

My guess would be to make it easier for people using controllers.