PDA

View Full Version : The ending I would have liked...

TyrelHun
23rd Oct 2015, 10:32
I know most of you are already fed up with alternative ending ideas, but I just feel like I have to get this off my chest - you're welcome to skip it.

Funny thing is, the ending I've expected, the ending that would make sense to me is probably more horrific than the ones we got. It would go like this:

Everything happens the way it did by the canon story all the way to the final choice.
When you get to the final decision, you're offered a third option, something like: "I can't live with the consequences of sacrificing either Chloe or Arcadia Bay". To be able to select this option you would be required to have kissed either Chloe or Warren, as to do something as "stupid" as this, one has to be emotionally supercharged.
Max tells Chloe that it has to have a reason and a meaning that she got these powers. She tells her that she (Chloe) is wrong as it's not her destiny to die in that bathroom... but it's her own (Max's) destiny to save everyone, that's why she got the powers in the first place.
After Chloe understands and accepts (not without a fight!) what Max's suggesting they confess their love to each other one last time (not in a very straightforward way, it's still up to the player to decide whether their love is based on friendship or something more intimate).
Max turns to face the storm, as resolute as ever, and starts using her power, channeling it at the hurricane, freezing time in it's core and slowly breaking down it's momentum with that. It's a very vile scene where Max really pushes herself way over her boundaries, her nose starts bleeding, then at the apex of her fight with the hurricane her eyes and ears as well.
Chloe - although she knew this would probably happen based on their previous conversation - can't stand to watch Max die and starts begging her to stop. However, Max is determined and driven, she just replies "THIS ENDS NOW!". It's unclear whether she's telling it to Chloe or the storm...
The hurricane diminishes, but at the same time Max collapses. She's not dead yet, but dieing, oblivious to her surroundings and Chloe.
The scene ends with Chloe holding Max, screaming and crying...

-- cut --

It's Max's funeral now. Very similar to the funeral scene we got for Chloe. Everyone is there whom Max ever helped to, or befriended. We also get to see Max's parents for the first time.
Chloe shows up, late as usual, but unusually elegant. There are many emotions on her face, but sadness and anger are the most dominant ones. Rebellious as ever, she visibly cannot accept that Max is gone, although doesn't make a scene of it.
The burial processes...
Chloe looks up in the distance and sees the doe spirit for the first time, shocked, then smiling faintly.

-- cut --

And basically that would be it. It would make a lot more sense to me than the endings that we got for a couple of reasons:

All the decisions you've made and all the **** that Max and Chloe went through would still make sense and stay valid. Without them happening Max and Chloe would not be at the Lighthouse together, and Max would not be in a state of mind required to do what she does. Instead of every event being erased, every event would be leading up to and fueling what happens here.
The official ending options are bad. Not because of inconsistency or anything else that was thrown at them, but because both of those decisions are something that our protagonists could not live with.
They're too good and they've fought too much for each other and Arcadia Bay. Letting Arcadia Bay get destroyed is just not like them, if the writers ever listened to the characters that they've created they should know that nor Max nor Chloe could ever accept the perish of a whole town for their lives. They just don't work like that.
Also I can't imagine Max living on knowing she sacrificed her best friend (optionally the love of her life). She's just too good hearted for that, regardless of Chloe asking for it. It's just not how love works when you have the ability to time travel.
Out of these two Chloe was the rebellious and feisty one, that's for sure, but it was always Max who made the hard decisions and sacrifices. It would just make more sense have it stay that way.
If you would argue that I've just said above Max would not ever accept Chloe's death, so why would Chloe accept Max's death, please note that Chloe would have no choice this way. Max has the option, the ability to keep trying to save Chloe, she could for example show herself in the bathroom scene (think of the movie Edge of Tomorrow). Chloe is powerless to change things, she's not offered a decision.

So what do you guys think?

UNKLEPhilosophy
23rd Oct 2015, 10:40
It would be bad just get over it...the game is ended both end its make sense.

TyrelHun
23rd Oct 2015, 16:46
Thanks for the constructive feedback. :scratch:

---

Back to the ending, whenever I think of the canon ending or the ending that I've "invented", there's always a short quote coming to my mind from a book I read a few years ago:
"I could hear the sound. The sound was me breaking. I cried because she had lived, because she had died. I was shattered."

It makes me realize that whichever of the girls sacrifices herself for the other, it hurts all the same. However I still uphold my views about these two characters that lead me to expect the ending detailed above:
If you really really love someone and you're offered a choice about which one of you will have to suffer - or in this case make the ultimate sacrifice - you will always choose yourself. Love is the only emotion known to humankind that at times can be strong enough to even overcome our most basic and primal instincts, survival included.
The problem with Chloe's sacrifice is, that the power, and hence the choice is not hers. Following the analogy above Max wouldn't choose herself (as the survivor) above Chloe, even though Chloe makes a good point. Love however is too blind to see points like that...

Okay maybe Max isn't supposed to be able to fight the storm as I imagined, but I'll be damned if I ever believe that she would settle for any of the two options Dontnod offered. She could continue trying to alter timelines so that finally everything works out. There are still a lot of options she missed, so assuming that any of those sacrifices is the only way is way too early at episode 5.

I do understand LiS ended this way and that I cannot do anything to change it, but I also can't be forced to accept it - and I'm not alone with feeling this way.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 17:49
First of your endings sounds good but after I had reading this

"then at the apex of her fight with the hurricane her eyes and ears as well." ... Really?

If you could replace it like instead of this horror, she would get unstable the tornado is moving forward,
getting heavier, different timelines showing up in the tornado etcetera.
Anything but not like eyes and ears bleeding dunno maybe I just misundterstood this xD

But I can work with this ending not sure, but not that much sure to get as an ending.
A third option would be okay but not really important I guess though?

TyrelHun
23rd Oct 2015, 18:00
different timelines showing up in the tornado etcetera

Really like this idea.

For the eyes and ears bleeding part, well, I'm not really intent on having it, it was just an idea to show Max is doing too much. We already saw her nose bleed a lot and she didn't die of that, only had shorter concussions... so the display of nosebleed no longer seemed rough enough to indicate she's dieing... still only a small detail, not essential for the main idea.

---

Btw if the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending was explained and detailed a lot more (similar to the level of Sacrifice Chloe ending), maybe I could live with that. Actually a few seconds cutscene showing that although Arcadia Bay is destroyed, but most of the residents survived (e.g.: moved to shelters like the Dark Room), I would be already happy with that ending.

But currently it suggests that Chloe and Max can carry on knowing that a whole town of people died for them, which is bull****. They couldn't accept that.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 18:06
Really like this idea.

For the eyes and ears bleeding part, well, I'm not really intent on having it, it was just an idea to show Max is doing too much. We already saw her nose bleed a lot and she didn't die of that, only had shorter concussions... so the display of nosebleed no longer seemed rough enough to indicate she's dieing... still only a small detail, not essential for the main idea.

Of course but can you imagine that how it would look? Damn it's to creepy for me. ^^
I mean nosebleeds are okay, maybe she vomits some blood either? But ears and eyes bleeding?
Oh my gosh chills and goosebumbs all over me. :o

Edit: But I appreciate your ending for no doubt, good work sir. :)

TyrelHun
23rd Oct 2015, 18:22
Yeah well, maybe I just saw a bit too many horror or vampire movies... :P

Also the Life is Strange itself turned out so dark by ep5 that having a scene so graphic wouldn't feel out of place anymore, at least for me. Anyhow, it's just a smaller detail, can be excluded.
My original point was that the person I got to know Max to be would not accept the 2 canon endings (as they're currently are), and would very possibly go with something as extreme as this to avoid them.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 18:31
Yes thats true, episode 5 is really dark but it was clearly that it would turned out that way, I guess?
My Max wouldn't accept it either if it were possible she would go with a other option to avoid that too.

Tataboj
23rd Oct 2015, 18:46
So Sacrifice Chloe, Sacrifice Arcadia Bay or Sacrifice Max.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 19:00
So Sacrifice Chloe, Sacrifice Arcadia Bay or Sacrifice Max.

This is what I was thinking during on my first playtrough when episode 5 came out.
So if that were possible I would go for that ending.

Lehkeri
23rd Oct 2015, 19:01
This is what I was thinking during on my first playtrough when episode 5 came out.

Some leaked files showed something called hospital_end or something. But it seems to have been cut.

Tataboj
23rd Oct 2015, 19:14

Now THAT would be really hard choice for me. I would never have Max die but at the same time she would have probably done that. When I was thinking about possible choices months ago, the "kill Chloe" or "kill people in Arcadia Bay" was easy for me. But if I had to choose whether Max sacrifices herself or kills Chloe? Aargh!

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 19:27
Now THAT would be really hard choice for me. I would never have Max die but at the same time she would have probably done that. When I was thinking about possible choices months ago, the "kill Chloe" or "kill people in Arcadia Bay" was easy for me. But if I had to choose whether Max sacrifices herself or kills Chloe? Aargh!

True, but to be honest this is what the game has been showing ME. Maybe it was also just a wish thinking moment during the game but I got hints, they I had read and misundterstood them during my explore.

Barentity
23rd Oct 2015, 20:36
Yes, I really like this ending idea. It makes sense and also preserves your choices better than the current two endings. I would have chosen it.
If it were me, I would definitely want to try stopping the tornado some other way, and if that didn't work, then I would make an effort to use the time powers again to warn people in advance and try to get the warning to be taken seriously enough that it actually saves a decent number of people. Also I would have been constantly taking new photos as 'save points' just in case.

TyrelHun
23rd Oct 2015, 20:46
Having photos of different times or timelines could compromise Max. I think she would want to hide her ability, to avoid turning out as a lab rat.

On the other hand the idea of warning the town could work, I think. Yeah sure if she just started running around like crazy yelling at everyone to leave town because a Hurricane is coming, it would just get her to an asylum... BUT if she previously uses her powers to save Kate and uncover Jefferson's secret, she becomes the Hero of Arcadia Bay as this actually happened in one of the timelines she visited.
Now if the Hero of Arcadia Bay started suggesting people to leave town, that could work... Sure they would still ask why, but they wouldn't just dismiss her.

As these ideas show there are still so many options that Max didn't try before concluding that sacrifice is the only option, it just screams for more episodes and/or more endings. And yeah, knowing Max if it really comes down to the sacrifice part, it couldn't be anyone else doing it but her. Damn she would probably even sacrifice herself for b****es like Victoria...
...sooooo not having that option was a dumb decision from Dontnod.

True, but to be honest this is what the game has been showing ME.
You're not alone with that, and to be honest I don't think we got the signs wrong. Max really is of the martyr type. That's my problem with all this, and that's how I got to this ending idea. Knowing her character it was somehow so obvious that she would do this if it came down to it, that I was actually surprised there is no such option.

---

Edit: Gah, these two girls really have grown on me. :o