PDA

View Full Version : Not doing well financially?

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 23:19
Okay, I have no clue if this is legit, but someone posted this link in the Steam forums. It says the game isn't selling well?

http://seerofsarcasm.com/post/131695028397/life-is-strange-wasis-not-doing-well-financially

I hope this is false. But in any case, I've done my part. I bought the season pass for myself and my wife in January and then proceeded to buy 15 (yes, fifteen) copies of EP1 for my friends over steam. And I will continue to support this company as they deserve it. Here's to hoping they get enough money to finish go back to EP5 and polish it a bit, perhaps add some content.

KristaD
22nd Oct 2015, 23:36
I think this largely depends on the sale numbers, I have doubts a game like this, as unique as it is has sold more than a million copies.

I did pay for all 5 episodes when episode 1 was the only thing available and bought a copy for a old friend of mine for his bday earlier this month. I think this game devs/company deserve all they can get for making this game. Ye, I'll be buying some of the merc. as well, or as much I can afford with my meager income.

julietxjules
22nd Oct 2015, 23:43
By the end of July over one million copies had been sold globally. This figure does not account for single units (individual episodes) or season passes.

KristaD
22nd Oct 2015, 23:47
I'll be damned. I know making a single game is very expensive. I don't know everything about making games, but I'm pretty sure there is plenty of people that require their monthly salary, voice actors cost as well and all the music in the game.

I hope there is someone that can shed more light on this.

--TIE--
22nd Oct 2015, 23:49
I say it again let´s kickstart it. It´s no shame if you run out of money it´s a shame you dont do anything against it. If a kickstart is running they can state out what they want and for what. Now...after the ending I fear simply buy more copy´s won´t help at all.

Their next project, job, or so comes in and in the end maybe they hit the break even point to "financialy" had the opportunities to fix it but...than they had no time bcs. of other jobs.

It would good to know how many copys are saled...x...million...? Hopfully than everyone can give another $ and we are in allready. The crowd make us strong not if here or there a second or third copy sold. But @ Lehkeri...nice thing to buy 15!!! <- no sarcasm!!!

KristaD
22nd Oct 2015, 23:53
I think they can always make more games (Dontnod that is) either with kickstarter or use patreon to gain additional funds. I know I would throw some additional money their way.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 23:55
I don't know but 1 million sold copies doesn't sound that bad to me. Of course they could sell much more copies of the game but:

- First of all this isn't a big AAA game but more of an Indie game. So there will be less sales like let's say "Call of Duty" or "Fifa".
- Second there are no physical copies available. Although people who buy physical copies might be a minority today, there are still people who buy games spontanously when they see them in a store.
- Third there might be people who have waited until all episodes are availabe before purchasing the game.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 00:16
I say it again let´s kickstart it. It´s no shame if you run out of money it´s a shame you dont do anything against it. If a kickstart is running they can state out what they want and for what. Now...after the ending I fear simply buy more copy´s won´t help at all.

I have nothing against to donate some money so they can finish their game "Life is Strange" like they wanted to be. When someone start it and would put a link to it I would support it.

Lehkeri
23rd Oct 2015, 00:20
I have nothing against to donate some money so they can finish their game "Life is Strange" like they wanted to be. When someone start it and would put a link to it I would support it.

If Dontnod started a kickstarter campaign for extended and/or added endings, I'd be backing that in a heartbeat.

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 00:26
If Dontnod started a kickstarter campaign for extended and/or added endings, I'd be backing that in a heartbeat.

Yes so do I.:friends:

Edit:

hmm I found also something interesting https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstrange/comments/3pr7ph/do_you_think_we_as_the_lis_community_have_enough/ now it is only a question of time.

PHub07
23rd Oct 2015, 02:28
I bought the game episode by episode for the One. I woulda bought the season pass but I felt I shouldn't save the 5 dollars on something this good.

Then just to support it I bought episode 1 on sale for the 360 and ended up playing it again....then cause I couldnt help it...bought the rest of the episodes on the 360 too. So I have bought the game twice...

RaulRoque
23rd Oct 2015, 02:44
Oh, c'mon. There are no excuses, please. We're grown-up people.

StrangerThanFiction
23rd Oct 2015, 03:09
I don't think it has to do with the game not selling well (I thought it was going great in sales), but maybe it's more of the fact that Dontnod is an indie development (a very small one at that) and they don't have a lot of resources available to them (which is why they have to go through someone like Square Enix, and they probably put a budget on the project). I think the only other game that they have created is Remember Me (which was wonderful by the way, but that's not the most popular opinion and I can't remember which big company backed them on that one).

RaulRoque
23rd Oct 2015, 03:16
I don't think it has to do with the game not selling well (I thought it was going great in sales), but maybe it's more of the fact that Dontnod is an indie development (a very small one at that) and they don't have a lot of resources available to them (which is why they have to go through someone like Square Enix, and they probably put a budget on the project). I think the only other game that they have created is Remember Me (which was wonderful by the way, but that's not the most popular opinion and I can't remember which big company backed them on that one).

Yes, that's right. This game is good? I think I'll play this.

PHub07
23rd Oct 2015, 05:55

Capcom

Yes, that's right. This game is good? I think I'll play this.

Like LIS....its a different kind of game....some pretty cool stuff in there that isn't in many games. As usual anything different gets hated on.

--TIE--
23rd Oct 2015, 09:14

I thought only they can start a kickstarter... ,( not someone. Noone can force them (sad) ;(

After all I am a little bit angry about the whole story behind. They sell a seasonpass for all five episodes and dont had the time/money to finish it? That´s realy strange.

But no problem If a kickstarter from dontnod comes up I am in...the story, the charactes, the game itself worth it a hundred times!

Dire87
23rd Oct 2015, 09:23
Capcom

Like LIS....its a different kind of game....some pretty cool stuff in there that isn't in many games. As usual anything different gets hated on.

It's not that simple. I never played the game, but apparently what I gathered from my most beloved British reviewer the game's "remember" feature was too shallow and the combat was simply bad. I think I watched the story on YT and it wasn't that impressive either, but it was their first attempt after all. For that I think it's not a terrible game, just not up to par with the big boys. Anyway, what does it matter, their second game was a blast anyway.

Dire87
23rd Oct 2015, 09:28
I thought only they can start a kickstarter... ,( not someone. Noone can force them (sad) ;(

After all I am a little bit angry about the whole story behind. They sell a seasonpass for all five episodes and dont had the time/money to finish it? That´s realy strange.

But no problem If a kickstarter from dontnod comes up I am in...the story, the charactes, the game itself worth it a hundred times!

Well, to say that is wrong. They did finish it after all. Maybe not like you and me would have liked. Maybe not like they themselves might have liked. Ideas get scrapped every minute in game development. Sometimes you only know that something won't work out when it's already too late. If you play Blizzard games and read the forums there you can get pretty nice glimpses into game development. Things about expectations, budgets and time constraints, the millions of discarded ideas and why you a decision, you think is right at the time, ends up being wrong. In an ideal world that won't happen, but we don't live in an ideal world and they're a company after all. Doesn't mean that episode 5 feels somewhat "lackluster" for me compared to the 4 other episodes. Almost no riddles, almost no interactions that matter and a polarizing (heh) ending. I just hope they can find it in themselves to rework the game to make it a true master piece. I'd also pay more money. After all I only paid about 20 for the whole game. I'd easily be willing to pay full price for this experience.

--TIE--
23rd Oct 2015, 10:05
Well, to say that is wrong.

Wait they sell a product that´s not quit finished. If you buy the season pass nowhere is statet out "...dear customer we aren´t done yet the last episode isn´t fully playable but we are working on it..." If I buy the season pass and pay the full price for it I can expect a product that´s met the discription. I dont pay for an early access, or a closed beta. They had a couple of month to finish it and now (rumours) come up they cant finish it, no money, no time. Thats normaly is not acceptable.

Compared to a car, you buy it, you wait until it´s done and then they say....sorry man we are running out of time, you can drive it but we cant implement any safety systems so drive CAREFULLY...no...fact is they sold a product wich isnt ready at the point where you pay it and dont mention it. Playable yes but not the content you can expect to become with the discription they made.

And beside all this..I WILL BACK THEM if they had the balls to dare it :) :) :)

Arcadiagamer
23rd Oct 2015, 10:13
I think that much games want to sell 1 million copies.

Tataboj
23rd Oct 2015, 10:22
But car costs about 20 000 € more and it is made by massive bilion companies, not a small studio.

Tataboj
23rd Oct 2015, 10:23
I think that much games want to sell 1 million copies.

Yeah, but that number includes also only copies of Ep 1 for 5€.

UNKLEPhilosophy
23rd Oct 2015, 10:23
First of all its not DONTNOD MONEY its Square Enix money always the publisher give money to the project and not the developer (dontnod)....
So its UP TO SQUARE ENIX to decide this and they already decided life is strage its OVER.
Life is strange was 8 episode original concept but they cut down to 5 episodes mostly fault Square Enix. I bet they gived dontnod another game project a AAA game project this time, like remember me was.

Arcadiagamer
23rd Oct 2015, 10:25
They should put second season or director cut with all episodes and same characters throug kickstarter.

--TIE--
23rd Oct 2015, 10:56
But car costs about 20 000 € more and it is made by massive bilion companies, not a small studio.

The scale didnt matter, both (game/car) are products and the customer can expect to become what he is pay for. If you buy something no matter what there is a baseline of things you can expect about the product and there is not a "but..we ar e small company, but we had not the money, but we had not the time and so on...". If that was the state of play the customer never had a right bcs. every company can say "But..."

All was good so long they didn´t bring the "no time / no money" argument (or the rumour about it). If they state out "this are the endings we plan to do" it´s okay bcs. this implied they never plan to do something else and this was the state of the 5th Episode all the time.

Now they sale a whole game and after you pay for it they say "we had no time / no money" to complete it. Bad comunication. But this all doesn´t matter. Only my small opinion and everyone can think about it like he want´s.

I simply hope for more stuff from it. If not...okay...if yes JEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

RanXYZ
25th Oct 2015, 10:33
Okay, I have no clue if this is legit, but someone posted this link in the Steam forums. It says the game isn't selling well?

http://seerofsarcasm.com/post/131695028397/life-is-strange-wasis-not-doing-well-financially

I hope this is false. But in any case, I've done my part. I bought the season pass for myself and my wife in January and then proceeded to buy 15 (yes, fifteen) copies of EP1 for my friends over steam. And I will continue to support this company as they deserve it. Here's to hoping they get enough money to finish go back to EP5 and polish it a bit, perhaps add some content.

That would be terribly sad if the game was not selling well, because it is so outstanding! And I would really like to have some sort of confirmation or insider info, because the fan base seems so huge and active that I find it hard to believe that the game could be selling poorly. Heck, I made several people buy it since I loved it so much!

Anyway, if that's true, we should do something about it, because if not :
- it would be very sad for the people from Dontnod not to achieve finanial success after such an outstanding work,
- we would lose all hope to have a reworked ending or season 2 someday. :(

I don't think buying Remember Me would be a good idea in that regard (although I may still do it) : Dontnod would be glad, but Square Enix was not the publisher of that other game, thus it would be no incentive for a Life is Strange Season 2.

Since Christmas is coming, maybe LiS season pass would be a good idea for a gift ? Other ideas ?

Dire87
28th Oct 2015, 04:08
At the end of the day you can't tell people what to spend their money on. Gotta play more CoD after all. But seriously, I never expected this game to sell millions of copies. It's an episodic game and not produced by TellTale, who are the top dogs of this genre at the moment. It also doesn't borrow from any existing source material (no Walking Dead, no Borderlands, no Minecraft for example), which makes it another risk to invest in it. And it's by an unknown studio, whose last game wasn't very good (critically). All these factors combined make for a dangerous recipe.

That being said...this is from Wikipedia:

"The first episode was ranked fifth among the best selling PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 video games of February 2015. Life Is Strange reached one million sales in July 2015, having accumulated over 1.2 million unique players worldwide."

I think that this number should be high enough to warrant having produced the game. That number will also not be final and I have no idea if that includes the PC sales at all, but apparently yes. The 1 million number is by the way officially stated by the devs and publisher after episode 3, so there's that. Obviously this pales in comparison to Telltales The Walking Dead (hard to find actual numbers on that, but apparenty both seasons have sold over 21 million episodes across all platforms...but keep in mind that there are 10 episodes in total...11 if you count the season 1 "epilogue", so it may have double the number of total games sold).

There's also this piece of information I haven't seen around here anyway:
http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/25/life-is-strange-would-love-a-second-season-but-with-a-new-cast/

That means the game couldn't have done too badly. The reality is most likely simply that there was a budget and time limit in place, no matter how well the game did...that's publishers for you I think, but without a publisher the game would have likely never been made, sooo...eh. I still hope they will revisit it and make a few updates...

iReturnVideotapes
28th Oct 2015, 04:40
If it's true, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Dontnod is fairly new to the industry with only one other game under its belt. Telltale was making games since 2005 without any spotlight and only recently came into popularity not long ago because they licensed the the rights to produce a video game on an already established IP. It wasn't "oh awesome Telltale is making a game based on The Walking Dead", it was "The Walking Dead videogame? Sure I'll check it out". Then they stuck. From 2005 to 2012, that's 7 years of mediocrity and then BOOM!

In comparison, Dontnod released Remember Me in 2013. This is only their second game and it's already gaining a huge amount of traction. You can't just expect to enter the industry and be an immediate hit. When you look at the grand scheme of things, I would say that Dontnod is well ahead of Telltale at this time in their career than Telltale was. And the game is only becoming more popular. It's tugging at people's hearts. Word of mouth is insanely popular. Even thought it might not have the sales numbers The Walking Dead does, for an original IP that isn't pandered to an established fanbase, I'd say Dontnod is incredibly successful.

PinkFrog
28th Oct 2015, 10:35
I hope they can make enough money out of their games. They really are exceptionally talented.

(I'm still angry about the ending, though)

Ross42899
28th Oct 2015, 14:57
BTW: Just convinced a friend to buy LiS. One more copy sold. So guys and girls keep spreading the word. ;)

Stevio96
28th Oct 2015, 16:46
BTW: Just convinced a friend to buy LiS. One more copy sold. So guys and girls keep spreading the word. ;)

I saw a lot of Lets Play but i bought it today :)
I will play it to 100% :)
Life is Strange <3

Ross42899
29th Oct 2015, 10:45
And one more thing: I think LiS is extremly cheap for a video game. E.G. I payed €20 on steam for all 5 episodes (so basically just €4 per episode). I know it's a smaller and episodic game but most other new video games cost around €40 - €60 at release. So, I think they could have charged at least a little bit more for LiS. Of course €40 - €60 would have been too expensive for such a game. But at least I would have paid up to €30 (and I think that would be a price the game is worth for sure).

PinkFrog
29th Oct 2015, 11:00
And one more thing: I think LiS is extremly cheap for a video game. E.G. I payed €20 on steam for all 5 episodes (so basically just €4 per episode). I know it's a smaller and episodic game but most other new video games cost around €40 - €60 at release. So, I think they could have charged at least a little bit more for LiS. Of course €40 - €60 would have been too expensive for such a game. But at least I would have paid up to €30 (and I think that would be a price the game is worth for sure).

Agreed. The production value is definitely high enough for a mid-price game.
Plus they are on sale now, too.