PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ep.5 and LiS overall (mixed feelings)

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 17:17
I will start with the good, cause seriously, you deserve so much praise.

So when I was first introduced to LiS, by watching Yogscast Kim's Let's Play, I loved it so much. It was so meaningful, it had so many important lessons, the music and graphics were great, the dilemmas were challenging, and it had discussed real-life scenarios and situations in a great way. It depicted situations and topics that matter. Suicide, bullying, substance abuse, parents trying to save their daughter from spiralling out of control, death in the family, euthanasia... I got to talk a girl out of committing suicide, and I got to listen to girls talking about how they were drugged. I got to sit with a survivor and try to decide if she should go to the police.

With some few exceptions, all it felt genuine, not just "durr, hurr, let's have one of the characters be drugged just for drama". You respected the topics you dealt with, and having been through a good deal of **** myself, that's my #1 reason for loving Life is Strange. For its shortcomings (yes, I admit teens don't talk that way :p ), it was a true gem, and I've been recommending it to people left and right.

My one main gripe, though, was that we were left clueless for the entire game about what it all meant. I liked the plots with the missing Rachel Amber, the girls being drugged, and Chloe's personal problems, but we were pretty much clueless as to why the weather was acting up, what the ghost deer really was, how Max got her powers, the butterfly, the homeless woman so seems to know something, how Rachel seemed to have something to do with all the supernatural stuff that was going on, the Native American lore and symoblism, all of it, basically: there were all these things going on that Episode five... and I hate to say this, but episode five just felt like a cop-out, like Max and Chloe jumping to the conclusion that Max and her time meddling was responsible for everything, with very little, if any, factual basis. There was a build-up to a great last episode here, and it ended up explaining nothing at all.

There were so many moments that really piqued my curiosity, like Max seeing the hidden-away grafitti by the lighthouse and thinking, "weird, those glyphs remind me of... the wind" back in episode 1, and I was genuengly looking forward to finding out who left them there, and what the deal was with them. Nothing. Or at least, nothing that I could find. I was hoping episode 4 and 5 would explain, but it just focused pretty much entirely on the Dark Room plotline. Which was well-executed, but... I feel you forgot the tornado plotline, or possibly couldn't actually slove all the things you introduced. I don't know.

Maybe it's stuff we're meant to find out for ourselves. The fact that over 50% of my fellow players sacrificed Arcadia Bay instead of Chloe tells me they quite possibly understood things I didn't ;) .

Overall, though, I still think LiS is a wonderful game, I'm happy I was introduced to it and it does so many things right, and I absolutely loved it, and for gods' sake, do go on making games. Make Life is Strange season 2 or whatever you want. I'll buy them. I'll buy Remember Me and play the hell out of it. You're doing so many things right!
But I just had to get this out, and I hope you developers read this.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed by episode 5.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 17:43
You're not the only one. There was so many things that it just felt....obvious that episode 5 would touch on. Instead....it skips over nearly everything a person would want to learn about the story and just adds layers of questions to the mix and thats that.

A great mystery that in the end....increases the mystery only to apparently be done and over with. As of now Max's story is basically over....they haven't confirmed it but they basically have said it.

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 17:54
Not just the tornado plotline, really. It was also stuff like saving the bluejay, protecting Alyssa in every episode, saving your plant Lisa or letting it die... I used to joke that the answer I was looking forward to the most from episode 5 was how on earth that damned potted plant was important.

Then it turns out that they were just there for completionists to feel good about themselves (don't get me wrong, doing these little things did make me feel good about myself, but I was just expecting more, you know?). Whether that was the plan all along I don't know, but I'm disappointed. I helped Alyssa in every episode, and I figured this was building up her trust so that Max could reveal to her that she had superpowers and actually have Alyssa believe her, but no, it didn't seem to impact things one bit.

I'd pay money for DLC that actually bothered explaining stuff. I mean that. I feel kinda like a sucker for saying that, but I mean it. Just give me some answers.
And yeah, bit of a pity they're not using the same characters again. I've grown so fond of them all, I even started to feel for Nathan at the end.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 18:04
Not just the tornado plotline, really. It was also stuff like saving the bluejay, protecting Alyssa in every episode, saving your plant Lisa or letting it die... I used to joke that the answer I was looking forward to the most from episode 5 was how on earth that damned potted plant was important.

Then it turns out that they were just there for completionists to feel good about themselves (don't get me wrong, doing these little things did make me feel good about myself, but I was just expecting more, you know?). Whether that was the plan all along I don't know, but I'm disappointed. I helped Alyssa in every episode, and I figured this was building up her trust so that Max could reveal to her that she had superpowers and actually have Alyssa believe her, but no, it didn't seem to impact things one bit.

I'd pay money for DLC that actually bothered explaining stuff. I mean that. I feel kinda like a sucker for saying that, but I mean it. Just give me some answers.
And yeah, bit of a pity they're not using the same characters again. I've grown so fond of them all, I even started to feel for Nathan at the end.

I'm right there with you....I felt....and I think thousands of others fans felt the same way. We expected these choices and interactions we pondered with for MONTHS to actually matter or at least be explained. Grant it....I figured the Lisa thing was probably for giggles and was never going to matter.

But really? The Alyssa stuff....the bluejay....all meant absolutely nothing? The consequence of saving the bluejay was that would be BE IN THE BATHROOM LATER!? I was expecting that thing to be a negative spirit....or somehow reversing its death caused all the other birds to die....something.

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 18:10
I do feel with Dontnod, though. I respect them as developers and understand that Life is Strange was a low-budget project. I just get the feeling that they created all these great plot threads, and then in the end realised they didn't have a way to resolve them. Which is... kinda amateurish, to be honest.

I don't mind having things like the dying birds and tornado as a backdrop. I mean, SOMA had the WAU as a scary background thing, but it also resolved it. LiS, I felt, took the easy way out.

LiS did give me a lot, it's been a wonderful ride, and I'm so glad I got to ride it. I just wish Episode 5 gave me the answers I wanted, that's all.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 18:14
I do feel with Dontnod, though. I respect them as developers and understand that Life is Strange was a low-budget project. I just get the feeling that they created all these great plot threads, and then in the end realised they didn't have a way to resolve them. Which is... kinda amateurish, to be honest.

LiS did give me a lot, it's been a wonderful ride, and I'm so glad I got to ride it. I just wish Episode 5 gave me the answers I wanted, that's all.

Indeed.....ep1-4 was one of the greatest video game experiences I have ever played. I felt genuinely saddened by how hard Chloes life was and even worse that she has to die. Ditto...they started all these little tidbits that felt like they were mean't to go somewhere and didn't. This game made me interested in music again....I actually feel compelled to make some kind of tribute video which idk if ill do yet.

Lets talk about Sean Prescott all day and never mention him in the next ep.

Remember Me was also amazing....they never got their fair due for that game. Everything I played from them is pure gold....except episode 5 of LIS.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 19:07
Well, I liked episode 5 for the most part but still have a few issues with it too.

First of all, like I already mentioned in several other threads, I think the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending felt a bit too sad, dark and lacked some closure/explanation for me. I simply can't believe everyone is supposed to be dead. IMO there must be some survivors (or at least there should be). I expected that we had to make a sacrifice. I expected a hard choice. I expected that we had to choose between Chloe and Arcadia Bay at the end. And I expected some people had to die. But I didn't expect everyone to die, if we decide to save Chloe.

I was expecting that at least some people would survive if we made some right decisions earlier in the game (maybe Kate or Alyssa or someone). But the final scene makes it look that there are no survivors at all. Somekind of epilogue is missing for me which explains a few things. Are there any survivors at all? If so who? Where are Max and Chloe going and what are their plans now?, etc. [And BTW: wish they would have kissed again, if we chose to kiss Chloe earlier]

Second: I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of screentime of several minor/side characters in episode 5. Most characters only show up in a short scene/sequence and there's lack of dialogue with them too (at least in my opinion).
E.g. Victoria appears only in the Dark Room (where she's unconscious for sometime) and Jefferson's class. Kate appears only in Jefferson's class. Nathan is dead or just appears in flashbacks/on photos. Joyce and Frank only appear in Two Whales diner during the storm. Even Chloe appears in just a few short scenes (excluding the flashback scenes during Max's nightmare because they are not "new" scenes and you don't have any dialogue options at all. You can just listen to past dialogue).

I wish we were able to talk a bit more to them, before the final farewell.

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 19:28
The kiss Chloe/don't kiss Chloe choice was another thing I expected to have a big impact. Oh well.

Remember Me was also amazing....they never got their fair due for that game. Everything I played from them is pure gold....except episode 5 of LIS.I've heard much praise for RM, and I'm looking forward to playing it myself :) . I'll wait for my siblings and "Life is Strange friends" (we have a smal clique that's been playing the game together) to be gathered come Yule, though, then we can be introduced to the game together :) .

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 19:32
Now I've got to catch up on interviews and whatnot with the devs that I've been avoiding because I didn't want things spoiled for me :) . I'm starting with the episode 5 release trailer ;) .

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 20:30
E.g. Victoria appears only in the Dark Room (where she's unconscious for sometime) and Jefferson's class.

She was unconscious? Why? Did she believe you in the party? Because in my playthrough she didn't believe me and she wasn't in the dark room. I thought this choice has no consequences at all.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 20:47
She was unconscious? Why? Did she believe you in the party? Because in my playthrough she didn't believe me and she wasn't in the dark room. I thought this choice has no consequences at all.

lmfao thats hilarious if true. Victoria is tied up on the floor next to you. Did you somehow just not see her? Or does warning her actually CAUSE her to end up there with you....which like everything makes no sense.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 22:19
Dunno if this is off-topic, so sorry if it is. But at least it's a thought I'm currently wrestling with.

Do you think Dontnod is trying to push Sacrifice Chloe as the "best" or "favorite" or "right" ending? It got the most attention as the other one, which I still prefer and will prefer got kinda shunned. It lacks so much information. I know both endings should be equally valid and right, I even said that before. But... I can't get this nagging feeling off my back. I dunno.

CrystalXPredator
22nd Oct 2015, 22:33
Dunno if this is off-topic, so sorry if it is. But at least it's a thought I'm currently wrestling with.

Do you think Dontnod is trying to push Sacrifice Chloe as the "best" or "favorite" or "right" ending? It got the most attention as the other one, which I still prefer and will prefer got kinda shunned. It lacks so much information. I know both endings should be equally valid and right, I even said that before. But... I can't get this nagging feeling off my back. I dunno.

So far as I had read here and on reddit. A member from Dontnod said they were running out of time and budget so to finish the ep. 5 somehow, they added the unfinished ending just get the episode 5 done. Thats also my thought why the sacrifice arcadia bay ending is short. :o

So "maybe" they will finish the unfinished ending later when they have budget and time with an extended ending fix" as DLC or patch.

I don't think they will push one of these endings to a best or fav ending, maybe with their director's cut ending which they keeps them for themself. xD

RaulRoque
22nd Oct 2015, 22:55
I'm sorry, people, but the game is a mess. There were times I even almost fall asleep. It's good and can be better if they're planning a sequence, but so far it's not great. 6.5 is spot on.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 22:57

I warned her about Nathan and she believed me. So I was suprised to see her in the Dark Room lying unconscious on the floor. She did wake up sometime later. So she doesn't appear in the Dark Room, if you do not warn her? Or did you just not see her?

I saved Chloe and sacrificed Aracdia Bay but somehow to sacrifice Chloe feels more like the "best" ending. It's feels somehow more rewarding. You get more closure. Only one character has to die and not almost everyone else. And Chloe and Max will only kiss if you sacrifice her. To me it feels a bit as if Dontnod is forcing the players to choose this ending.

It feels a bit that players who favor to save Chloe draw the short straw. They don't get much closure, some questions are left unanswered and you don't even get a final kiss (Come on. My Max saved Chloe because she loves her. So why not kiss? ;)).

I think both endings should have almost equal pros and cons. But for me it feels that "Saving Chloe" has way more cons (not just from an "in-universe" point of view. I'm talking about things like content as well)

RaulRoque
22nd Oct 2015, 23:01
I warned her about Nathan and she believed me. So I was suprised to see her in the Dark Room lying unconscious on the floor. She did wake up sometime later. So she doesn't appear in the Dark Room, if you do not warn her? Or did you just not see her?

I saved Chloe and sacrificed Aracdia Bay but somehow to sacrifice Chloe feels more like the "best" ending. It's feels somehow more rewarding. You get more closure. Only one character has to die and not almost everyone else. And Chloe and Max will only kiss if you sacrifice her. To me it feels a bit as if Dontnod is forcing the players to choose this ending.

It feels a bit that players who favor to save Chloe draw the short straw. They don't get much closure, some questions are left unanswered and you don't even get a final kiss (Come on. My Max saved Chloe because she loves her. So why not kiss? ;)).

I think both endings should have almost equal pros and cons. But for me it feels that "Saving Chloe" has way more cons (not just from an "in-universe" point of view. I'm talking about things like content as well)

Yeah, I would never do all the things I've done to, in the end, throw it all away. It seems dull. All the things Max does is for Chloe and that's the end of the story.

Tataboj
23rd Oct 2015, 05:49

She didn't believe me and she wasn't in the Dark Room. Interesting...

Safe-Keeper
23rd Oct 2015, 08:30
I'm sorry, people, but the game is a mess. There were times I even almost fall asleep. It's good and can be better if they're planning a sequence, but so far it's not great. 6.5 is spot on.

Then why are you even here :D ?

Safe-Keeper
23rd Oct 2015, 08:34
So far as I had read here and on reddit. A member from Dontnod said they were running out of time and budget so to finish the ep. 5 somehow, they added the unfinished ending just get the episode 5 done.

Ooooooooh. That's a redeeming factor for sure. Now I feel bad I even wrote my OP :( . Poor Dontnod, that must've been a tough decision for sure. I really feel for them now.

There's still season two, though :) . I suppose they can spend parts of that season explaining all the stuff in this one? Even though it will have completely different characters? One can hope!

CrystalXPredator
23rd Oct 2015, 09:07
Ooooooooh. That's a redeeming factor for sure. Now I feel bad I even wrote my OP :( . Poor Dontnod, that must've been a tough decision for sure. I really feel for them now.

There's still season two, though :) . I suppose they can spend parts of that season explaining all the stuff in this one? Even though it will have completely different characters? One can hope!

Well, we need to look forward as well. I will see it positive.