PDA

View Full Version : Your Choices Still Count, and Here's Why...

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 16:29
So I've noticed a lot of people don't like that the rest of the game was erased/overwritten if you sacrificed Chloe. I liked it. I think a lot of the dislike towards it is coming from the fact that we've spent so long with these characters, building their relationships only for it to be wiped away but I don't think that our choices don't "count" anymore.

Sometimes, in life you aren't rewarded for all your hard work on something. Max worked on building these relationships only to have them taken from her. I thought this was incredibly poignant. Also, although the five days with Chloe technically never took place, Max still REMEMBERS them. They still happened to Max, she lived through that experience. The choices still count because they survive in Max's memory. The true poignancy in the ending is that she's only left with memories.

I think that Max's choices in the game will also inform her choices in the future. If you made friends with Stella or Alyssa or the kid who sketches you, Max will go on to make friends with them in the future. Max's powers gave her an insight into how people work and she can use this knowledge in the future to help a lot of people, without needing to ever rewind.

What do you think of my thoughts

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 16:38
Makes perfect sense.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 16:44
Makes perfect sense.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 16:49
It's not. :). Several people have posted seeing Kate in that ending when she jumped off in their gameplay.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 16:51
This is what's formed in my head as soon as I read the name of a thread. She still has the relationships with those people, and that will project to her making friends (or boyfriends ° °).

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 16:57
This is what's formed in my head as soon as I read the name of a thread. She still has the relationships with those people, and that will project to her making friends (or boyfriends ° °).

Or girlfriends (the Chloe kiss).

ET_Red
22nd Oct 2015, 16:59
That's what I believe, too. No matter the outcome, your choices and lessons learned stay with you.
It's not solely about the ending but also about the way. Maybe a cheesy phrase, but true.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 17:06
That's what I believe, too. No matter the outcome, your choices and lessons learned stay with you.
It's not solely about the ending but also about the way. Maybe a cheesy phrase, but true.

Yes. I don't understand the complaints, honestly. My only complaint is that Chloe could have been more resistant to sacrificing arcadia bay and that ending could have been a bit longer.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 17:07
But if you chose the "Sacrfice Aracadia Bay" ending, saving Kate or Alyssa doesn't matter at all because they are dead anyway.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 17:11
But if you chose the "Sacrfice Aracadia Bay" ending, saving Kate or Alyssa doesn't matter at all because they are dead anyway.

And if you care about them, you will more likely save them.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 17:15
But if you chose the "Sacrifice Aracadia Bay" ending, saving Kate or Alyssa doesn't matter at all because they are dead anyway.

Firstly, we don't see the bodies, some people could have escaped (although, granted there would have been a lot of deaths.) Secondly, that's part of the choice. If you choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay, you are endangering these peoples' lives and you have to live with that. That's the point of the choice, that's why it's so hard. If you don't want Kate and Alyssa to (probably) die, you shouldn't Sacrifice Arcadia Bay. It's not an easy choice by any stretch.

UNKLEPhilosophy
22nd Oct 2015, 18:19
It is count if you use your brain
The experience what you did with your best friend (chloe) in 1 week its still count in your memory this experiences you never forget...
If somebody don't understand whats this game about then don't play it, and forget this game forever, and get over with it.
And just because didn't showed any surivors in the end that's don't mean nobody is surived,David is survived in the dark room or you can think he died too this is why great ending because its LET YOu to use your OWn IMAGINATION about the ending.I don't know why but today gamers is tipically want everygame to OVERexplained story.

2nd I don't why people obsessed with arcadiabay most of people left that place and its rotted by Prescott family, and those who stayed they wanted to get out there, we SAW how many? 30-38 max people around that place so why we talk about thousand? we never saw them they don't even exist in that game.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 18:42
The experience what you did with your best friend (chloe) in 1 week its still count in your memory this experiences you never forget...
If somebody don't understand whats this game about then don't play it, and forget this game forever, and get over with it.
And just because didn't showed any surivors in the end that's don't mean nobody is surived,David is survived in the dark room or you can think he died too this is why great ending because its LET YOu to use your OWn IMAGINATION about the ending.I don't know why but today gamers is tipically want everygame to OVERexplained story.

2nd I don't why people obsessed with arcadiabay most of people left that place and its rotted by Prescott family, and those who stayed they wanted to get out there, we SAW how many? 30-38 max people around that place so why we talk about thousand? we never saw them they don't even exist in that game.

The thing is, whenever people say that use your imagination, I shudder a little. I don't like headcanons that much.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 18:44
The thing is, whenever people say that use your imagination, I shudder a little. I don't like headcanons that much.

Agreed. But the ending wasn't underexplained. You just have to look a little deeper.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 18:46

People want to save Arcadia Bay because of all the characters they've already met. The prescott family would be pretty damaged by Nathan's killing of Chloe, I doubt they'll receive many investors after that.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 18:48

They aren't in game, but you have to use your OWN IMAGINATION to imagine the thousands of people that really live there.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 18:49
They aren't in game, but you have to use your OWN IMAGINATION to imagine the thousands of people that really live there.

nice XD

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 19:02
So I've noticed a lot of people don't like that the rest of the game was erased/overwritten if you sacrificed Chloe. I liked it. I think a lot of the dislike towards it is coming from the fact that we've spent so long with these characters, building their relationships only for it to be wiped away but I don't think that our choices don't "count" anymore.

Sometimes, in life you aren't rewarded for all your hard work on something. Max worked on building these relationships only to have them taken from her. I thought this was incredibly poignant. Also, although the five days with Chloe technically never took place, Max still REMEMBERS them. They still happened to Max, she lived through that experience. The choices still count because they survive in Max's memory. The true poignancy in the ending is that she's only left with memories.

I think that Max's choices in the game will also inform her choices in the future. If you made friends with Stella or Alyssa or the kid who sketches you, Max will go on to make friends with them in the future. Max's powers gave her an insight into how people work and she can use this knowledge in the future to help a lot of people, without needing to ever rewind.

Screenshotted it and posted it on Tumblr, and people are really loving it so far.

Then again, I don't have a big blog to begin with. Lol. But everyone needs to read this. It really does explain everything. Good work EggFried.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 19:06
Screenshotted it and posted it on Tumblr, and people are really loving it so far.

Then again, I don't have a big blog to begin with. Lol. But everyone needs to read this. It really does explain everything. Good work EggFried.

Thanks man, can I see the post?

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 19:09
http://codyjayp.tumblr.com/post/131692429734/for-those-that-sacrificed-the-bae-and-felt-like

Link to my tumblr post.

CrystalXPredator
22nd Oct 2015, 19:16
The thing is a game like Life is Strange (needs) an epilogue it doesn't have to and shouldn't explain every single shot and of course not explaining the mystique's! But at least extending the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending. For me though, this ending is full of question marks. Even if it shows just simple understandable what it is showing you.

I don't know whenever I am choosing for "Sacrifice Chloe" I can deal with that ending and can going further what will Max doing next? Etcetera. As you could write your own book for it.

But with the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" I feel disappointed, because the ending is to short it felt like they have forgotten something. But after reading on reddit from a dev team he said "we were running out of time and budget ..." which seems likely legit, since they are just a little fresh company. You can also use your imagination for both endings this isn't the point for me.

Everyone I saw streaming after I played ep. 5 and they went for the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay", they reloaded it to see the other option which is quite normal.
They said "Hmm this seems like the truth ending with a funeral, weird that the other ending is so short ..."

Even if there won't be an epilogue or an extended ending for the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay it's okay but it makes just harder to deal with my imagination, while the other is giving you more option.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 19:28
Everyone I saw streaming after I played ep. 5 and they went for the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay", they reloaded it to see the other option which is quite normal.
They said "Hmm this seems like the truth ending with a funeral, weird that the other ending is so short ..."

Even if there won't be an epilogue or an extended ending for the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay it's okay but it makes just harder to deal with my imagination, while the other is giving you more option.
Yeah Sacrificing the Bay ending needed to be longer.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 19:28
Agreed. But the ending wasn't underexplained. You just have to look a little deeper.

One is, the other isn't. Sacrifice Chloe doesn't need anything, it's quite complete. But Sacrifice Arcadia needs quite a lot of work...

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 19:35
One is, the other isn't. Sacrifice Chloe doesn't need anything, it's quite complete. But Sacrifice Arcadia needs quite a lot of work...

Yeah, sorry I meant the stuff leading up to it. Not the actual decision itself. Sacrifice Arcadia definitely needs to be longer.

Huskerro
22nd Oct 2015, 20:18

My thoughts exactly, that's why I chosen this ending.
And about the other ending we don't really know anything. For sure a lot of people died, but we know nothing about characters we met. People could go to dark room since it was doscovered, in the cutscene diner was in bad shape but still standing, so every person inside should be alive. My guess is that all the people we saved during that episode + people from diner are alive. I cannot really say anything about David, Kate or others, but usually you run from the storm so most folks from the game should be living after finale (plus the Obstacles from Syd Matters are about hope and being optimistic, but that may be overinterpretation from my side since it can mean hope for better life with Chloe after that strange week). So the choice you have is (in my opinion): Should I save my best friend in exchange for death of some anonymous people and devastating Arcadia? Not that easy decision (at least for me).

I hope they'll extend save chloe option, it was too short and not nearly on the same level as the other one.

BTW Is it just me that, every time there was a dialogue "Life is..." hoped that it would end in strange? Totally disapointed that it was always different from the title :D

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 20:37
My thoughts exactly, that's why I chosen this ending.
And about the other ending we don't really know anything. For sure a lot of people died, but we know nothing about characters we met. People could go to dark room since it was doscovered, in the cutscene diner was in bad shape but still standing, so every person inside should be alive. My guess is that all the people we saved during that episode + people from diner are alive. I cannot really say anything about David, Kate or others, but usually you run from the storm so most folks from the game should be living after finale (plus the Obstacles from Syd Matters are about hope and being optimistic, but that may be overinterpretation from my side since it can mean hope for better life with Chloe after that strange week). So the choice you have is (in my opinion): Should I save my best friend in exchange for death of some anonymous people and devastating Arcadia? Not that easy decision (at least for me).

I hope they'll extend save chloe option, it was too short and not nearly on the same level as the other one.

BTW Is it just me that, every time there was a dialogue "Life is..." hoped that it would end in strange? Totally disapointed that it was always different from the title :D

Wait, people you saved aren't saved because it didn't happen. Max used Warren's photo and then goes different way with Chloe.
Yeah, I laughed a lot. :) "So one photo means being an artist in San Francisco. Life is... weird."

Huskerro
22nd Oct 2015, 20:50
Wait, people you saved aren't saved because it didn't happen. Max used Warren's photo and then goes different way with Chloe.
Yeah, I laughed a lot. :) "So one photo means being an artist in San Francisco. Life is... weird."

Point is we don't know what happend after the change. But since the change was rather minor (for the rest of people one person didn't go to the party and professor got arrested), I would speculate that nothing really changed when it comes to tornado itself.
As I said, I choose to belive that I don't kill everybody I knew. And just to clarify, I saved Arcadia ;-)
Life is indeed weird :D

CrystalXPredator
22nd Oct 2015, 21:15
I don't know but but my imagination getting better with the episode 5 and even with the whole season after talking and communicate with you guys and girls.

Could it be possible that Chloe already died in these 5 years, while Max was in Seattle and just heard about it from Joyce, Radio, News or whatever? So Max felt very upset 'cause she felt like she wasn't there for her best friend and got then the power to spent one week with Chloe again so thats why some people talking about "memories". I can even understand it more now why you are talking about memories and experience Max has taken and will always be with her.

So she goes back to her hometown right to the funeral to Chloe and from there it begans, she gains the rewind power were Chloe is alive and Max was in the school in Arcadia Bay but she had no friends in this time and with her powers she can change that what she did. "Were Life is Strange story began"

And because she had the access to rewind she can use it for good, so she did. But when it comes to the end she could choose to change the past permanent to live with Chloe alive OR just take the memories which nobody can took away from her. Thats why she was smiling at the end on the funeral (sacrifice Chloe ending)?

And the part were Chloe talked about "... anyway how you choose I know you do the right choice ..."
It also seems to me when Max reached the beach and saw Chloe was the dead Chloe from there to guide Max to the lighthouse and ending. So Max can choose to bring her back to live and took also the memories etc. but destroy the town instead thats why they are leaving. Or only take the memories and the experience?

Thats what I mean I can deal with the imagination from this ending but I can't really do that with the otehr ending which makes me so sad and mad.

Sorry if I drifted away to far but my english-skills aren't that good to write kind of these text. :P I just tried to get some different kind of view of it

I recommend some correction from my thoughts, if necessary. :-)

KristaD
22nd Oct 2015, 21:22
I think it is pretty obvious that our choices in this game matter, to us as people (though not every will share this view). I think the game drives this point home quite a bit given that Max has a reaction to each choice you make. At least this not like Fallout where you have a lot on influence on the world you are entering and being rewarded with a different narrated dialog by Ron Pearlman in the end, but your character never such as makes a peep about those choices, and at least for me all those choices I had no effect on me personally and where left behind with the game when I clicked "Exit Game".

I also think of Life is Strange more like a story in a book than a story made for a game, also the pictures in the game tell a story as well.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 21:23
I don't know but but my imagination getting better with the episode 5 and even with the whole season after talking and communicate with you guys and girls.

Could it be possible that Chloe already died in these 5 years, while Max was in Seattle and just heard about it from Joyce, Radio, News or whatever? So Max felt very upset 'cause she felt like she wasn't there for her best friend and got then the power to spent one week with Chloe again so thats why some people talking about "memories". I can even understand it more now why you are talking about memories and experience Max has taken and will always be with her.

So she goes back to her hometown right to the funeral to Chloe and from there it begans, she gains the rewind power were Chloe is alive and Max was in the school in Arcadia Bay but she had no friends in this time and with her powers she can change that what she did. "Were Life is Strange story began"

And because she had the access to rewind she can use it for good, so she did. But when it comes to the end she could choose to change the past permanent to live with Chloe alive OR just take the memories which nobody can took away from her. Thats why she was smiling at the end on the funeral (sacrifice Chloe ending)?

And the part were Chloe talked about "... anyway how you choose I know you do the right choice ..."
It also seems to me when Max reached the beach and saw Chloe was the dead Chloe from there to guide Max to the lighthouse and ending. So Max can choose to bring her back to live and took also the memories etc. but destroy the town instead thats why they are leaving. Or only take the memories and the experience?

Thats what I mean I can deal with the imagination from this ending but I can't really do that with the otehr ending which makes me so sad and mad.

Sorry if I drifted away to far but my english-skills aren't that good to write kind of these text. :P I just tried to get some different kind of view of it

I recommend some correction from my thoughts, if necessary. :-)

Make sure your inferences/theories are actually based off things in the game. This is a little random.

CrystalXPredator
22nd Oct 2015, 21:29
Make sure your inferences/theories are actually based off things in the game. This is a little random.

Okay I didn't notice that it looks like that. Thank you :)

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 21:37
As I said, I choose to belive that I don't kill everybody I knew.

That's my main problem with the current "Sacrifice Aracdia Bay" ending. We don't get to know if everyone is dead or if some people survived (which IMO would make the most sense). But I don't want to make such things up in my head. I want definite answeres for such questions. I want to believe some people survived but I simply can't, as long as I don't have any visual evidence. Juding by the actual in game visuals/cutscene I have to assume everyone died.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 22:14
That's my main problem with the current "Sacrifice Aracdia Bay" ending. We don't get to know if everyone is dead or if some people survived (which IMO would make the most sense). But I don't want to make such things up in my head. I want definite answeres for such questions. I want to believe some people survived but I simply can't, as long as I don't have any visual evidence. Juding by the actual in game visuals/cutscene I have to assume everyone died.

Judging by the visual evidence in the cutscene, not everyone died. Someone covered two corpses with blankets.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 23:13
Must have missed that. But nervertheless I wish there would be at least a few survivors running around.

UNKLEPhilosophy
23rd Oct 2015, 10:49
Strange I never saved anyone in the game I just did the story..i don't know why but somehow I don't care about arcadiabay people like alyssa,victoria,warren,joyce etc... lol...

UNKLEPhilosophy
23rd Oct 2015, 10:52

David is survived he was in the dark room, and use your own imagination :).