PDA

View Full Version : A Second Chance, Why I Made The Choice I Did, And A Formal Thank You (SPOILERS)

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 13:46
This idea is not completely my own. I had made a thread in the General Discussion where I posted a link to a video that explains it. This is an extension of that idea and a full explanation as to why I made the choice I did.

I can fully relate to Max and her feelings of wanting to keep Chloe alive. In the past few years I have lost a lot of family members that I was extremely close with and, to this day, I still have trouble trying to process it. I felt like I should've said "I love you" more, or hold them a bit tighter, or maybe spent some more time with them.

I would give anything I could in order to have a second chance with them.

Max got what a lot of us don't in this life. A second chance with Chloe. Yeah, she didn't know that it was Chloe in the bathroom, but I agree with Mari (and the others who have stated this) in that the blue butterfly is Chloe (her soul). It is thought that the blue butterfly is what gave Max her time powers in order for her to have a little more time with Chloe.

I'm going to be completely honest. I got too attached to Chloe too fast. I would've done anything in the world in order to keep her alive, even if it meant sacrificing Arcadia Bay. The reason being is because I related too much to the friendship that Chloe and Max have. I don't have many friendships, but the ones that I do have are pretty solid and I would do anything in the world for them.

I would like to formally thank Dontnod for creating this wonderful game...no...that's not right. This wonderful masterpiece. I've felt so many emotions as I went on through the journey with Max and Chloe. I've learned a lot about myself in the process as well about how choices (no matter how small) can affect everyone I care about and not just me. You helped remind me that I need to hold my loved ones tighter and say "I love you" more than just like once every blue moon. You helped me realize how much I take this life for granted.

Life is indeed strange, but it is also beautiful.

julietxjules
22nd Oct 2015, 13:52
This idea is not completely my own. I had made a thread in the General Discussion where I posted a link to a video that explains it. This is an extension of that idea and a full explanation as to why I made the choice I did.

I can fully relate to Max and her feelings of wanting to keep Chloe alive. In the past few years I have lost a lot of family members that I was extremely close with and, to this day, I still have trouble trying to process it. I felt like I should've said "I love you" more, or hold them a bit tighter, or maybe spent some more time with them.

Max got what a lot of us don't in this life. A second chance with Chloe. Yeah, she didn't know that it was Chloe in the bathroom, but I agree with Mari (and the others who have stated this) in that the blue butterfly is Chloe (her soul). It is thought that the blue butterfly is what gave Max her time powers in order for her to have a little more time with Chloe.

I'm going to be completely honest. I got too attached to Chloe too fast. I would've done anything in the world in order to keep her alive, even if it meant sacrificing Arcadia Bay. The reason being is because I related too much to the friendship that Chloe and Max have. I don't have many friendships, but the ones that I do have are pretty solid and I would do anything in the world for them.

I would like to formally thank Dontnod for creating this wonderful game...no...that's not right. This wonderful masterpiece. I've felt so many emotions as I went on through the journey with Max and Chloe. I've learned a lot about myself in the process as well about how choices (no matter how small) can affect everyone I care about and not just me. You helped remind me that I need to hold my loved ones tighter and say "I love you" more than just like once every blue moon. You helped me realize how much I take this life for granted.

What a lovely written piece and an obviously heartfelt motive.

It has only ever been about the journey. . .but they have to end some time leaving only memories which eventually become nostalgic.

PinkFrog
22nd Oct 2015, 14:48
I feel the same way as OT, at least in many ways.

I'm simply heart-broken that the game ends the way it ends. It's emotionally cruel to make players like the characters as much and then force the player character to let them die.

Seriously, i don't think the story really needed that kick in the crotch :/

MostlyJason
22nd Oct 2015, 15:17
I definitely agree. I chose to save Chloe, but then replayed it in a different save to see the other ending. I wish they showed Max and Chloe looking through the town more. It's really sad for me that it's over and we probably won't see these characters again. I dont know how they could make more, but I want them to. The first thing I thought after finishing it was I wish it never ended. Since it's not likely that will happen, I hope they make another game similar to this. Right now I just feel like I want to stare at a wall until one of those two things happen.

ET_Red
22nd Oct 2015, 15:49

I can only sign that. The game gave me an emotional rollercoaster and left me a lot to think about. About itself and what choices one makes and why. In real life aswell as anywhere else.

Huskerro
22nd Oct 2015, 20:26

My thoughts exactly :)
Although I sacrificed Chloe, I see why the other option is a valid choice, especially when you don't know for sure if all the people you knew died in the storm (diner was standing in the last cutscene so everyone inside should be alive, people tend to run away from storm, hospitals are being evecuated and so on). I want to think that by saving Chloe I would only sacrificed some anonymous people and a lot of money(destruction of Arcadia).

VixzerZ
23rd Oct 2015, 01:21
I quite agree, Max went through too much, suffered and sacrificed then went back and tried again to make it all work as best as she could for her, in the end, let Chloe die.

Max was there in the Bathroom specially at that time for a reason, she also got this power at that time for a reason, I think it was to save Chloe (this girl has a knack for dying and getting herself in trouble :p).

While I do feel for Arcadia Bay and its residents, to let Chloe die would destroy Max and would waste everything she went through , I mean, why bother to save someone if at the end you sacrifice them? No way, come hell, heaven or whatever, I think Max would never sacrifice Chloe, no way...

CaptainTronny
23rd Oct 2015, 02:43

Every simple words of this is true beauty and power. After playing this game I felt like I've also learn things about myself, I felt like I was this sky girl trouble getting her work out there, a self conscious nerdy shy girl trying to find her place in the world. I understand the feeling, I never really had a friendship as close as what Max and Chloe had, but in my set of mind, after running through time and time again. Seeing this masterpiece through Max's eyes, I could let her go, the love and attachment I have built through these few episodes, it wasn't the choice I made with my head, but a choice I did with my heart, saving her instead of saving Arcadia Bay.

StrangerThanFiction, I don't know who you are, but a second chance for love, friendship, anything. Your words are much better than anything I could ever said about this wonderful masterpiece. If you were in front of me I would hug, after 6 years of isolating myself for my friends, family, thinking I wasn't good enough, I fell like this game opened something I've never felt in my life, even less in a video game.

It's embarrassing to say on the internet, but as I am writing these words right now, I started tearing up, talking here has made me emotional. I kinda feel silly, but I just finish my first game of Life is Strange, no cheating no testing outcomes in a different game, this first playthrough, was the true and real me, not me playing a game, but me in the shoes of Maxine Caulfield, the girl would wants to be loved, make friends. Seeing and experiencing things, my bad decisions, my fails (seeing "my friend", Kate kill herself) my fails, my "Life", learning to deal with the consequences of my own actions.

I feel like I'm rambling, sorry if I am, I'm just writing the things that are going through my mind, not crying of sadness now, I just smiled. Sorry cause I don't know if my text has typos or missing words. Just and an other thing to add in my list of quirks I wish I didn't have.

I'll stop now, thank you for posting this, your words are to me as golden as the golden hour of the sunset and since I can't give you a hug to show support, I'm giving you a cyberhug instead, :friends:

StrangeThanFiction you are truly amazing and like you said so beautifully,

"Life is indeed strange, but it is also beautiful." Yes it hella is :)

CaptainTronny
23rd Oct 2015, 02:51
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saved Chloe, I feel like it was some kind of destiny both of them, Partners in Time. Why else, after a week of hell of ups and downs, erasing all of that would be even worst. Living in a reality where Chloe Prince is dead is not a reality worth fighting for.

RaulRoque
23rd Oct 2015, 02:56
Beautiful. The game has its good sides. I only wish it could be better. I think it lost its way.

StrangerThanFiction
23rd Oct 2015, 03:04
What a lovely written piece and an obviously heartfelt motive.

It has only ever been about the journey. . .but they have to end some time leaving only memories which eventually become nostalgic.

Which is my favorite part of it all.

I feel the same way as OT, at least in many ways.

I'm simply heart-broken that the game ends the way it ends. It's emotionally cruel to make players like the characters as much and then force the player character to let them die.

Seriously, i don't think the story really needed that kick in the crotch :/

This made my top list of endings that really twisted my heart. The first one is a BIG SPOILER; especially since it's one of the biggest controversial things ATM in books. But yeah, I agree with you.

I definitely agree. I chose to save Chloe, but then replayed it in a different save to see the other ending. I wish they showed Max and Chloe looking through the town more. It's really sad for me that it's over and we probably won't see these characters again. I dont know how they could make more, but I want them to. The first thing I thought after finishing it was I wish it never ended. Since it's not likely that will happen, I hope they make another game similar to this. Right now I just feel like I want to stare at a wall until one of those two things happen.

Right now, I feel like making a WHOLE lot of head-canons, especially thanks to Mari. Her head-canon is that Max and Chloe become Detectives. 6 seasons and a movie. The ending of the first season Chloe finally tells Max that she's ready to start their life together.

I NEED FAN-FICS AND ART OF THIS!

I can only sign that. The game gave me an emotional rollercoaster and left me a lot to think about. About itself and what choices one makes and why. In real life aswell as anywhere else.

Same here. I love being on an emotional rollercoaster though. I love having myself become attached to characters because that means that I can relate to them in some aspect. I might have gotten attached to Chloe too fast, but I don't regret it one bit.

I love that blue-haired chick. :)

My thoughts exactly :)
Although I sacrificed Chloe, I see why the other option is a valid choice, especially when you don't know for sure if all the people you knew died in the storm (diner was standing in the last cutscene so everyone inside should be alive, people tend to run away from storm, hospitals are being evecuated and so on). I want to think that by saving Chloe I would only sacrificed some anonymous people and a lot of money(destruction of Arcadia).

Both are valid choices. I can see why someone would sacrifice Chloe (especially since Chloe beg for it).

And also...head-canons! Mine (which I have said in almost every thread made in Episode 5) is that David collects a majority of Arcadia Bay residents and takes them to The Dark Room.

I quite agree, Max went through too much, suffered and sacrificed then went back and tried again to make it all work as best as she could for her, in the end, let Chloe die.

Max was there in the Bathroom specially at that time for a reason, she also got this power at that time for a reason, I think it was to save Chloe (this girl has a knack for dying and getting herself in trouble :p).

While I do feel for Arcadia Bay and its residents, to let Chloe die would destroy Max and would waste everything she went through , I mean, why bother to save someone if at the end you sacrifice them? No way, come hell, heaven or whatever, I think Max would never sacrifice Chloe, no way...

Before we even made the choice, I already sensed that Max wouldn't be happy if she sacrificed Chloe. I'm not sure if she ever would, but...we never know.

Every simple words of this is true beauty and power. After playing this game I felt like I've also learn things about myself, I felt like I was this sky girl trouble getting her work out there, a self conscious nerdy shy girl trying to find her place in the world. I understand the feeling, I never really had a friendship as close as what Max and Chloe had, but in my set of mind, after running through time and time again. Seeing this masterpiece through Max's eyes, I could let her go, the love and attachment I have built through these few episodes, it wasn't the choice I made with my head, but a choice I did with my heart, saving her instead of saving Arcadia Bay.

StrangerThanFiction, I don't know who you are, but a second chance for love, friendship, anything. Your words are much better than anything I could ever said about this wonderful masterpiece. If you were in front of me I would hug, after 6 years of isolating myself for my friends, family, thinking I wasn't good enough, I fell like this game opened something I've never felt in my life, even less in a video game.

It's embarrassing to say on the internet, but as I am writing these words right now, I started tearing up, talking here has made me emotional. I kinda feel silly, but I just finish my first game of Life is Strange, no cheating no testing outcomes in a different game, this first playthrough, was the true and real me, not me playing a game, but me in the shoes of Maxine Caulfield, the girl would wants to be loved, make friends. Seeing and experiencing things, my bad decisions, my fails (seeing "my friend", Kate kill herself) my fails, my "Life", learning to deal with the consequences of my own actions.

I feel like I'm rambling, sorry if I am, I'm just writing the things that are going through my mind, not crying of sadness now, I just smiled. Sorry cause I don't know if my text has typos or missing words. Just and an other thing to add in my list of quirks I wish I didn't have.

I'll stop now, thank you for posting this, your words are to me as golden as the golden hour of the sunset and since I can't give you a hug to show support, I'm giving you a cyberhug instead, :friends:

StrangeThanFiction you are truly amazing and like you said so beautifully,

"Life is indeed strange, but it is also beautiful." Yes it hella is :)

CaptainTronny, there aren't enough words in the world for me to say. Thank you is a very underwhelming understatement. And don't worry if you ramble, sometimes I feel like I'm rambling. I read every single world and it made me smile. Also, I'm grateful that the game helped you overcome your own insecurities and negative thoughts about yourself.

If you ever feel like you're not worth it, just know that there's a community of online people that believe you are. If you ever need to talk someone, you can always PM me. You are an amazing person. :)

And thanks for the "hug". :) Here's one back. :friends: