PDA

View Full Version : Hey Chris@crystal

NoobSaibot
29th Jun 2002, 05:37
Why did we have to reregister. Why couldn't are screen names just have been tranfered to this forum, at least we then could have kept our post counts.:confused:

willow
29th Jun 2002, 05:47
That really would have taken a lot more work to do. Also a lot of possible unneeded work as a lot of people aren't frequent posters and possibly wont reregister or post here again.

blincoln
29th Jun 2002, 17:07
Yeah, like I said over in the general discussion, if you have two different software products like this, the user database isn't going to be in the same format, so they'd have to manually transfer everyone over, which would take forever. And, like Willow said, it cleans up old/unused user accounts too.

dago
29th Jun 2002, 19:27
i think chris is on holiday...
but blinc and nood said all that needs to b said...

Iron Head
30th Jun 2002, 06:47
They did it over at the RobZombie.com forums in like three days.

blincoln
30th Jun 2002, 07:35
RobZombie.com isn't using vBulletin =). I haven't been there before, but it looks like they're using something similar to UBB. If the database format is similar enough, you could convert it easily. But really, what's the benefit to Eidos to spend time on it, when it takes five minutes for people to make a new account?

Jeffers
30th Jun 2002, 16:43
It took me a lot longer then 5 minutes, simply because the IP address I was using at the time was blocked.

Never mind though, it shouldn't even take 5 minutes though, so I agree with Blinc.

Even though I would rather have all my past posts kept.

If you want to see a nice looking forum, look at www.tdzk.net/forums/

Jeffers.

Chris@Crystal
8th Jul 2002, 19:04
Hello there,
I also believe the amout of work to transfer all the old account information would be very time consuming. Also since there are many old accounts that are not even used anymore, creating new accounts will weed out old users that no longer post in the forums. Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Umah Bloodomen
9th Jul 2002, 03:52
**gives Chris a hard time*** At least time didn't have to reveal this answer... :p

***Buys another round of ale for Chris and the forum****

Welcome back Chris! ;)