PDA

View Full Version : Adverts

Belboz
29th Jun 2002, 03:57
It says in the rules that we are not allowed to advertise things, how do we promote our up and comming fan mission.

If it is allowed, where do we advertise them, in here or or the dromed editing forum, or both.
:confused:

Peter_Smith
29th Jun 2002, 04:14
Promoting your FM is not advertizing in the sense of the forum rules:

You will not post topics or messages that solicit or promote any commercial concern or transmit advertising, promotional materials, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or make any commercial use of our Service.

The type of advertizing that is not permitted here is commercial advertizing, such as when you want to sell something or pomote political contributions, a political cause, your sevices as a web designer, etc.

FM's are free. If they weren't, then we might have a problem. Komag's FM CD's are also free. The fee is to cover costs. You are doing the Thief community a service by developing FM's and promoting them. Plug away!:)

Whatz His Name
29th Jun 2002, 12:25
And for $39.99, I will advertise your product any way I can on this forum. <small>All major credit cards are accepted.</small> :D

Squid
29th Jun 2002, 20:07
What about what happens when someone comes onto the new forums asking about, "Where can I buy Thief?" Are we allowed to tell them the nearest store that has it, like we did in the old forums?

Squid

BrokenArts
29th Jun 2002, 21:07
I would say yes, what applied over on the other forum should apply here. The rules are being thrown about, to remind everyone of what terms of use are for. New forum, same old rules? No one has really said if there is anything new to follow in the form of rules, I don't think so.
We did it before, hey, if Eidos wants to sell the game, and someone asks where to buy it, Ya, think we aren't gonna tell them? We did before, we should still be allowed to. No big deal to me. Only money in Eidos's pocket.

Peter_Smith
29th Jun 2002, 22:17
As you know, Eidos is no longer selling T1 and T2 in their on-line store. All the other on-line stores I have visited say they are out of stock, so Eidos is evidently not selling it to vendors, either. So long as we are not competing with Eidos, I think it is fine to recommend a place to buy Thief. The main problem now is to find a place. Just one would be nice.:(

It seems to me that Eidos should start distributing Thief again. Maybe in CD form without a box, if they need to save on distribution costs. What can they lose? If anything, it would be fodder for future Thief3 fans.

BTW, identifying a vendor is not advertizing, unless you are the vendor. It is helping our fellow players out. We do the same thing with video cards, etc., all the time, and nobody has objected yet.

Thorin Oakenshield
29th Jun 2002, 22:59
BTW my local GAME store is selling Thief 2 again. :)