PDA

View Full Version : Chris@Crystal's Greatest Hits

Divine Shadow
29th Jun 2002, 03:02
Since all the old posts and threads are going to be deleted, I felt the need to chronicle some of the questions and answers that have, over the years, been divulged by everyone's favourite undead Lead-Playtester. I do this to preserve the information before it is deleted forever, and to create something that newer members can consult before asking already-asked questions to the Butterfly Lord. Without further ado, here are Chris@Crystal's Greatest Hits....

----------

Regarding the Statue near the Elder in SR2

Warpsavant asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

I always thought it was a statue of the Elder also, but I'll check with the team. I'll get back to you soon.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

-----------------------------------

Hi again,
Amy told me it's simply a statue, a symbolic representation of the Elder God fashioned by an ancient, primitive cult.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

LOK Merchandise

Blincoln asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
More LOK and SR merchandise sounds like a great thing to me, I will pass on your requests. As far as the list:
- T-shirts
Only SR2 t-shirts were made special for the team.
- Patches (game logos? clan symbol patches? If I could get patches of all the clan symbols I'd totally cover my backpack with them)
I've never seen any patches. Sounds like a good idea though.
- Posters
I've got a few SR1 posters, but they were promotional only for retail stores. We also have some SR2 banners hanging up here at Crystal.
- "a 6ft. robotic Raziel that actually eats your soul."
We actually have a 6 ft. Raziel here in the building and his eyes light up. Haven't seen him consume any souls yet. I do not believe these will ever be for sale.
- a life-sized Reaver replica (bonus if it actually makes you invincible and/or able to alter the course of history)
This sounds really neat, but I have yet to see one.
There also have been SR watches in the past, statues, and of course figures. If I hear of anything going up for sale, I'll post the info here.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

A Soul Reaver 1 Remake?

keepittru asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
I understand why many of you long for another version of SR1, but we need to move forwards not backwards. I will pass on your requests to the team, but I do not think we will be going back to re-do SR1. The team is starting work on SR3 and that should keep them pretty busy for a while.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Who were the three Circle members who survived? When did Malek become Circle-ised?

Non-existent asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello there,
Yes, Vorador slaughtered six of the Guardians in his ambush (just as he told Kain in BO:LoK). Some people were confused by the cinematic in BO:LoK, which only shows Vorador killing four of the Guardians -- but the cinematic should be interpreted as an edited "montage" of his attack. He did in fact kill six of the Guardians.

In BO:LoK, it does not say that Malek became a Guardian after he was fused to his armor. This is a common misconception, but in fact the text of BO:LoK never explicitly states when Malek became a Guardian. The dialogue only says that he is the defender of the Nine, last of the Sarafan sorcerer-priests, and the Guardian of Conflict.

So the three Guardians that survived Vorador's attack are Moebius, Mortanius and Malek.
Hopefully this answers a few questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Hello again,
I see there's still a little confusion regarding Malek and his role as a Guardian in BO:LoK. It was admittedly pretty vague in BO:LoK's dialogue, but Kain clearly identifies Malek as the Guardian of Conflict when he returns Nupraptor's Head (the first token) to the Pillars.
He says:
I placed Nupraptor’s head before the Pillar of the Mind, and watched on as it dissolved into the stone.
The pillar accepted its offering, thus it was restored. Nupraptor was but the genesis – forever tainted by his madness, the Circle was beyond redemption. For them absolution lay only in death. In me, they would find their deliverance.
But first I had to defeat their shepherd – Malek, defender of the Nine, lay in a keep far to the north, past Vasserbünde. It was time for me to test the wrath of the Pillar of Conflict.
In the Silicon Knights FAQ, it says that Malek was originally recruited to protect the Circle, but came to embody the spirit of Conflict and became that Pillar's Guardian. It doesn't specifically say when this happens.
Hope this helps out.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Soul Reaver 1 Beta Version: Can we have it please?

Blincoln asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
I will pass on your requests to the team regarding an alternate version of SR1. Unfortunately there is not too much completed stuff that was held out of the game that I am aware of. As a game is created sometimes the story can change in the process and some parts might get cut. If you have other questions, let me know.
~Chris

Makin' a Soul Reaver game: How long does it take then?

Serafan asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Serafan,
Completing a SR game is not a "normal" process, so there is really no set time period that it takes to complete a game. There are deadlines that get set, but as many of you know the games have been bigger projects than originally thought. Work is just being started on SR3, so it would be hard to say how long it will take for the game to be completed. Hopefully sometime soon, but give us some time to make sure the game is everything the fans would hope it can be.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Flower Chris and Malek's Damnation

warpsavant asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey Warp,
Am I the Flower Chris you ask? I went back and checked out the manual. I am listed as Christopher Butterfly in the manual if that is what you mean. That's also my schoolbus in the picture of the Company in the Bonus Materials. I am checking about when Malek was fused to his armor. I'll let you know what I find out soon.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Hi again Warp,
There's no evidence in BO:LoK as to precisely when Mortanius was possessed by the Dark Entity. It's clear that Mortanius was under the control of the Dark Entity when he assassinated Ariel, but it's open to speculation whether he was possessed when he punished Malek.
Also note that even if he was possessed, he might not have been under the Dark Entity's control at the time. Remember that during much of Kain's journey, Mortanius still maintained control even though he was possessed.
Perhaps more information will be uncovered in Soul Reaver 3. I guess we'll have to wait and see!
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

One-Hundred-Percent Pure Hash'ak'gik.

Link21 asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Link21,
I spoke with Amy about your questions. Let's put it this way -- the entity who confronts and speaks to Kain at the end of BO:LoK is indeed the being alternately known as "the Unspoken," the "Dark Entity" and "Hash'ak'gik".
But does the deformation of Mortanius' flesh that it uses to manifest represent its true form? ... that question is still open to speculation... I suppose we will learn more about this in the Legacy of Kain series as it unfolds.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Scripture from the secret, bloody altar in the depths of the catacombs beneath Avernus Cathedral:
And Hash’ak’gik spoke unto the world, and all who heard trembled. “Bring me your first born, and shed their blood upon the altar of the world, so I might take nourishment from them. Do this without question, or suffer my wrath for eternity.” And its will was done.

Sarafan and Seraphim. Who can't spell?

willow ayala asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Willow,
The name of the monastic order pledged to the eradication of the vampires is properly spelled "Sarafan" (all "a"s).
The word Seraphim refers to an order of angels, in Biblical lore.
The name "Sarafan" is supposed to reminiscent of "seraphim" (because the Sarafan consider themselves a holy order, and are also referred to as "Angels of Light"), but they are meant to be different words. Hope this answers your question.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Pondering the Preistess

Lieutenant Raziel asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
I believe the Priestess character was dropped pretty early in the development of SR. Although I do remember seeing the boss room for her, I do not remember seeing her animated. I'll look into this, but with most ideas that are not included in a game, there is not much to them except concept ideas.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

So Chris, What Do You Do Then?

RAZKAIN asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey RazKain,
I tested BO1, was Lead Tester on BO1 PC, tested SR1, SR2, and am Lead Tester on BO2. I also have written walkthoughs for the hint line for many of the LOK games and helped with instruction manuals. Other games I have tested for Crystal Dynamics and Eidos include Pandemonium!, Pandemonium 2, Unholy War, Akuji, Gex, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Gex: Deep Cover Gecko, Magical Racing Tour, 102 Dalmations, Tomb Raider 4, Slam N Jam, 3D Baseball, Fear Effect, Omnicron, and Anachronox. I've also done work with Crash N Burn, Total Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, the Horde, Off World Interceptor Extreme, Star Control 2, Samurai Showdown, and Blazing Dragons. That's all I can think of right now. Hope this more then answers your question!
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Can I make a Soul Reaver please?

Serafan asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
Someone asked me this before. You can have a sword made with the likeness of the Soul Reaver, but I do not believe you can sell them for profit using the name "Soul Reaver". If you get one made make sure to post a picture of it here for all to see.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

That Vampire Woman Cut From Soul Reaver 2. Who Was She Then?

Divine Shadow (ie, Yours Truly) asked...

http://lokicons.homestead.com/files/vampf1.jpg http://lokicons.homestead.com/files/vampf2.jpg http://mappster.homestead.com/files/new1.jpg

She is a very ornately detailed vampire woman, who is in the game, and yet not in the game. She seems as detailed as any of the main characters...

So, was she cut out? Who is she? Does she have a name, other than the rather uncatchy BVAMP_F?

I understand completely if you cannot tell us, due to possible SR3 spoilers. But I am very curious as to who this forgotten character was...]

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello all,
I'm not sure why the cinematic with this vampire was removed from the game, but I believe it originally occured right before the double doors to the Pilars in the first time zone. Raziel watched her get staked by a few Sarafan and then he went after her killers. She did not have a name that I am aware of. Just so you all know, with any game many things are changed or removed throughout the development of a game. This is one of the things that was removed for one reason or another.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Font Fun.

Serul asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Serul,
For "History Abhors a Paradox" they used a font named Valdemar.
For the credits, I think they used a font named Scurlock.
Hope this helps.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Soul Reaver III

GatesofNosgoth asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
At this time a date for Soul Reaver 3 has yet to be announced. Patience my friends, the game is still in the beginning stages of development.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Qualifications Question

Turelhim Vampire asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello Turel,
Becoming a game designer/concept artist should not require too much schooling. this is our current wants for hireing a designer: This position requires technical as well as creative talent. You would be involved in scripting enemies and bosses. You would also assist in the design of the bosses and then implement them in our proprietary scripting language. We will train in our scripting format but previous scripting experience is necessary. Knowledge of 3D Max required.
Hope this helps out.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

BO1: Werewolves or Vampires in Wolf-Form?

Unknown asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
You are wondering about a wolf creature that appears in BO1? I remember this creature, if you kill it it turns to a human form right? I remember one for sure in Vorador's mansion that I always thought was a werewolf. The only other vampires in Vorador's mansion were his Brides. Hope this helps.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Who writes what scripts?

willow ayala asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey Willow,
The SR and BO2 games have been developed by two separate teams within Crystal Dynamics, both working independently from each other.
I believe that the teams have discussed how the stories might cross over (and I know that Amy has read BO2's dialogue and played the game to see how it should tie in to SR3), but no, Amy was not involved in the writing of BO2's story or scripts. Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Three Varied Questions

Glucolisis asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello Glucolisis,
Here are some answers for you:
1. The test department starts working on a game when it is almost playable. Sometimes we will start working on demos for E3 before we get the entire game. When a game is just starting out in test, it is very rough and has lots of problems. It is very frustrating at first, but as things start to get fixed and added, it is very rewarding.
2. I do not know how far along SR3 is. Be patient, let the team do its thing. Creating games is an art.
3. What is my favorite game...dificult question. Pandemonium 2, that was really fun. I like BO1 for the story, SR2 for the graphics and streaming, and BO2 for bringing Kain back as a controlable character. Honestly, I like all the LOK games, thats why I work here at Crystal Dynamics.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Altered Timeline or not? After SR2 or BO1?

Sarafan Lord asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
The Soul Reaver and Blood Omen games are all a part of the Legacy of Kain series. As these games get created certain things are not fully explained as to give the player things to ponder. I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but many things are still to be revealed in the land of Nosgoth.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Resurrecting Blood Omen 1?

DarkMessiah asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
At this time we are not planning to go back and remake Blood Omen 1, although it does sound fun. The game was originally published by Activision on both the Playstation and the PC. Not sure if they are still producing copies of it or not. I will pass on your requests.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Blood Omen 1 and Blood Omen 2

KbH Sephiroth asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello there,
Blood Omen 2 was created by an entirely different team and was made to be Blood Omen 2, not Blood Omen 1. Where as I understand where you are coming from wanting a larger world and more freedom, that was achieved in BO1 because of the level of graphics and the kind of game that it was, 2-D overhead view. The BO2 team decided to make something new and that is their creation you have been playing. We'll see what happens if a Blood Omen 3 game is announced in the future.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Human Raziel's Age When He Got What Was Coming To Him?

Evelin The Winged asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
I do not know for sure, but I would guess that Raziel was in his 30's when he was defeated by the Soul Reaver Raziel. Even though he was a great Sarafan Warrior, I'm sure they would not normally live too far past 40. But of course this is just my opinion.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Seer: Hylden Or Something Else?

TheElderGodofNosgoth asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
In Blood Omen 2 it was not revealed exactly what kind of creature the Seer is. Since this is the Legacy of Kain series and more games are in the future, I can not give you an answer to your question. I can tell you that everything will be revealed in time.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Legacy of Kain: The Movie?

Mallinger asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
There are no plans to make a LOK movie at this time. It sounds like a great idea to me! If I hear of anything I will post it in the forums here.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Moebius and his Shotgun?

Blincoln asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
Honestly I have no idea what that is, although it does look like a shotgun. I'm going to go with the theory that Moebius might have brought it from another time period, but I do not know for sure.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

What do YOU want to happen then Chris?

123up123down123up asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
Sorry, I was out most of last week, but now I am back. Hmmm, what do I want to happen in the future LOK games? I want us to sell lots and lots of games I suppose. The thing is I already know what is going to happen, so it is a little tricky to say what I might have wanted to happen. My favorite characters are Vorador and Elzevir. But of course Kain and Raziel are great characters too. Umah is also one of my favorites. Since I have been here at Crystal Dynamics since before the fist LOK game, I feel very connected to the series, and hope everyone will continue to enjoy plaing the games we create.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Bo1 Vorador and Bo2 Vorador differences

Glucolisis asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Glucolisis,
I understand what you are saying about Vorador in BO2. Have you played BO1? Do you know what happened to Vorador? There are reasons for how Vorador is in BO2, but I can not yet reveal them to you. I know everyone is tired of me saying that, but it's true! Almost everything in the LOK universe happens for a reason. You'll see.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Blood Omen 3 on the cards?

Diakinos asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Diakinos,
Blincoln is somewhat right, but there is not a BO3 game in development right now. I personally hope there will be one in the future, and I will post here in the forums if I get any information on it.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

SR1: "What ARE these creatures?"

Sayel asked...

This is it:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut1.jpg

here a pic where Raziel is fighting them:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut2.jpg

Can you please tell me what that was supposed to be?]

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
This creature that you have a picture of were not Turelim that were cut -- this is a good guess, but inaccurate! These creatures were actually an early version of the Dumahim vampires -- they were in the game like this for a while, but ultimately we decided to redesign them. If you look at the pictures, you can see that these guys had the distinctive Dumahim needle-tongues -- that was the only feature we carried over when we remodeled them. Also on this website http://www.angelfire.com/realm/ucg/srcut.html they have screenshots from a couple of stages of the Dumahim remodeling -- both the human-looking creatures and the long-necked green creatures were early (but ultimately scrapped) versions of the Dumahim.
Also on that same website where the screenshots are posted, the authors speculate that the bluish concept sketch in the credits is Kain's castle. This is actually a conceptual rendering of the Silenced Cathedral. Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Silenced Cathedral in SR1 Intro Sequence?

Nosgoth's Ruler asked...

Chris Bruno responded:

Nosgoth's Ruler,
Like I mentioned, that screenshot is just a conceptual rendering of the Silenced Cathedral. Which means it is an original drawing of what the Cathedral was going to look like, but the concept changed and became what it is now in Soul Reaver 1. Hope this answers your question.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

More SR1 Cut Questions

Sayel asked...

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut4.jpg

The Position of the Silenced Cathedral is correct, it was always east from the Abyss, Raziels Clan area is west from the abyss and the Chronoplast is in the north.

But I want to know what that was supposed to be:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut3.jpg

to me it looks like the home of the Priestress.]

Chris Bruno responded:

Sayel,
(1) The sepia-toned piece of concept art you posted was actually an early concept for the Sanctuary of the Clans (the "mosque" built around the Pillars). We toyed with the idea of having the Sanctuary perched on a plateau, but abandoned that idea early on.

(2) In the GlyphX rendering of the Abyss, that is the Silenced Cathedral off in the distance, in the right-hand side of the frame. The other tower is just a smokestack (nothing to do with the Oracle's Cave area). The smokestack actually was part of a level we eventually cut (sadly).
Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

------------------------

And there we go.

willow
29th Jun 2002, 04:22
hahah very nice. *clap clap*

geez, some of those are really old.

NoobSaibot
29th Jun 2002, 05:31
Good work, but you have forgotten one of the most important once....
Will there ever be an actual soul reaver collectable sword made for the fans of the series?
His answer was there was no plans at the time. :mad:

Mallinger
29th Jun 2002, 05:34
Originally posted by NoobSaibot
Good work, but you have forgotten one of the most important once....
Will there ever be an actual soul reaver collectable sword made for the fans of the series?
His answer was no by the way. :mad: Too bad. I guess that spot on my living room wall will have to remain bare. Boo hoo. :(

willow
29th Jun 2002, 06:12
Get some cardboard and make one yourself.
Another problem solved by the almighty willow.

warpsavant
29th Jun 2002, 06:38
:) I like that we can rate the threads

Mallinger
29th Jun 2002, 06:58
I suppose that is a pretty cool feature. :cool:

Glucolisis
29th Jun 2002, 17:12
That was a very good idea cause there is a lot of information that is very valuable in the other forum.

Glucolisis
29th Jun 2002, 17:13
it looks weird that warpsavant is a junior member!!!

blincoln
29th Jun 2002, 17:19
Wow, thanks DS! There's even some stuff in there I didn't know. I'll have to make some tweaks to my site over the weekend.

Raz
29th Jun 2002, 20:27
Bravo Divine Shadow! :D

dago
29th Jun 2002, 21:02
malligner... go to www.swords.com if u are really serious...it will cost a lot though...but it would be really kewl!

TheElderGodofNosgoth
29th Jun 2002, 23:42
It makes me feel all warm inside that one of my questions made the list. :)

Esoteric
1st Jul 2002, 17:21
Excellent job compiling all those responses DS! *applaudes* If only some of these important posts could be pinned. :D

Azuriel
1st Jul 2002, 21:20
Originally posted by Glucolisis
it looks weird that warpsavant is a junior member!!!

heh

i miss my insane postcount too. ah well... starting from scratch again

L_Master562
9th Jul 2002, 20:04
Questions. I didn't know that the Malek's bation like place was the early Sanctuary of the Clans building. It loos cool though. That still makes us wonder what Kain's retreat is to look like. The most we ever saw was in the Bo2 intro, though we don't know if Kain uses that castle in the time of Sr or not. I hope so though. Always has been great to get responces from the creators. I miss my post count as well, though it was only a few hundred. When it comes to E-Mail though I do that a lot more. I need to post in everything now. Good that the LoK all in one section thing was given to us in the new forum after we asked for it. Long live Vampire Lord Chris. Too bad most people new those early model vampires were Dumahim. Many magazines noted they were and so that is what I posted at my site. That never changed. i have both versions on it. Then again, I have the cut Turel smokestack image as well. Love it.

Edit:
Yeah, I have my first site with many images, but as soon as I find all my old magazines, I'll post more scans here (http://www.geocities.com/legacyofkainmedia/) .
It will be in the mag section. I really need to do some renovations, but I'm waiting until I find the magazines or borrow them off a cousin. He has stockpiles of gaming magazines like me. Lotsa of them, of many different magazines. He and I have EGM, EGM2 which became Expert Gamer, Nintendo Power, Game Informer, Official PSM, PS2 magazine, so on and so forth. I have many previews Sr games. If I find some of the issues I'm thinking in particular, I'd have all of the interviews of the LoK series. There are many obscure ones I have noticed that aren't much, but have some beta pictures. Most are Sr2 though. Most stuff is on the net though. Anyone have the image that has the odd Human Citadel face sid by side with the face of the Chronoplast door of Sr1 picture from the GIA???? It went down and I lost the image. We might need to ask Chris about that.

Ardeth Silvereni
10th Jul 2002, 15:30
I was wondering what exactly Chris said about those old SR1 Dumahim enemy models. When I first made the Angelfire UCG pages with Scarblade (oh-so-long ago) I remembered that Chris gave some feedback, but I never got the chance to read it before.

Thanks for digging that up, Shadow! :D

Time Streamer
21st Jul 2002, 09:33
With a discovery of early Dumahim concept and other things, I can't help to feel that there's still more to be found from SR1. These revelations are driving me mad, fortunately I understand the reason of their removal.

blincoln
21st Jul 2002, 19:09
There are some things left to be found. I'm going to be adding a few to my site with the next big update.

L_Master562
22nd Jul 2002, 15:46
How far through are you on the updates or haven't you started yet? Just wondering. You usually give us close aproximations of time until completion. Too bad I won't be here for a couple weeks so I won't see. Vacation is nice to finnaly have. Woods, here I come. i have close friends who have a lot of land that has a personal campgrounds on it. That doesn't mean I won't take my camper with electricity though. My Ps2 is all ready to go. Guess what games I'm taking.

Time Streamer
22nd Jul 2002, 16:49
waiting for the big update blinc.

blincoln
22nd Jul 2002, 17:18
I put up the two SR1 pages I'd been meaning to for awhile (early vampires and the Stone Tower) last night. I've got a few mystery screenshots left, but that's the bulk of my knowledge of SR1.
*Now* I just need to completely redo the BO1 section and bump up the brightness/contrast on all the SR1 screenshots.

=)

darien_specter
22nd Jul 2002, 19:55
AND there are still a few SR2 pages that say "more info coming soon..." or are those updated too? (haven't been to look yet, I will probably shortly answer my own question :D)

blincoln
22nd Jul 2002, 19:57
They probably still say that. It's mostly the technical information, and I just haven't had time to write that stuff up.

L_Master562
30th Jul 2002, 00:41
the stone tower before i do believe. I sure didn't know of that area though. I knew of all the early vamps though. I have the magazine articles scanned. Not by me, but I had them sent to me. If I still have the entire folder of my Sr stuff, I would have them. If I lost anything, I'm mad I lost them. I have the screenshots burned to disc though, so it doesn't matter.