PDA

View Full Version : What does the thread icon mean?

Vanguard
29th Jun 2002, 01:08
When viewing the list of threads in the forum, there are envelope-shaped icons in the leftmost column. The legend at the bottom shows what some of these envelope icons means. But mine have an envelope with a black dot at the vee of the flap. What's that icon represent? When someone replies, the icon changes to an open envelope with a letter sticking out. But mine still have that black dot. Oh no, I've been "black dotted"!. :eek:

I also have not yet figured out why my posts have the down arrow button next to the subject. I'm still reading all the help and FAQs but haven't come across the description of the topic-line icon (and I'm not talking about the smilies).

And no email button? Now the replier has to click on the Profile button and then click on the link for email. Otherwise, then can use the private messaging afforded here but that will probably be effective if the recipient enables the "send email" option when receiving a new private message.

Lots of new stuff to learn. I won't bother asking to have my count or registration date changed. I definitely feel like a newbie again in this new forum. What's this? What's that? :p <i>(Aw, the smilies aren't animated anymore!)</i>

Boy, I can see the moderators will be VERY busy. Guess they decided to blow this weekend instead of the July 4th weekend.

Hmm, are we supposed to be posting over here yet? Doesn't seem to be anyone else yet. HELLO? .... hello? <i>(echo)</i>. :D

Grey Mouser
29th Jun 2002, 01:13
You can set whether you want your email addy to show up in your user profile.

Black dot = thread replied to (I think)

Yep, black dot = replied to

Peter_Smith
29th Jun 2002, 05:51
Testing... I have a theory that the black dot means that you (the user) have posted in that thread, by originating or a reply. It does not mean replies in general, because I see several with replies and no black dots.

Is there a legend of these things?

EDIT: My theory is correct.:)

dago
30th Jun 2002, 17:54
those all all right!

there is no legend..but here is a couple of things...
at the bottom of the post the is and E, if it is yellow, the person is online...if it is purple the person is offline...there isn't too much else...except maybe that if you keep getting emails about replies to subjects you have posted in...then go to user cp, user options, then scroll down an un-tick the automatic email notification!

it is irritating if you dont!

if you have any more questions, fire away!

Peter_Smith
1st Jul 2002, 02:36
Yes, I have a question. Under what circumstances does the down arrow appear next to the thread title. I can see what the down arrow does (it goes to your last unread post - very cool), but not all messages have them, and the down arrow remains, even after you have read the thread.

theBlackman
1st Jul 2002, 03:58
Peter,
I have noticed a "mark thread as read" maybe you need to do this.

I've not tried it as I am still learning the ins and outs also.

Old Man
1st Jul 2002, 11:28
Originally posted by Peter Smith
Yes, I have a question. Under what circumstances does the down arrow appear next to the thread title. I can see what the down arrow does (it goes to your last unread post - very cool), but not all messages have them, and the down arrow remains, even after you have read the thread.

A couple of ways to get the thread to show as read: go down to the bottom and click on 'Go' beside the forum in question; alternately, if you're accustomed to clicking back to the topics list, when returning to the topics list click 'refresh.'

dago
1st Jul 2002, 22:03
Originally posted by Peter Smith

i think it is just another way to get to the last page...
eg. threads can have numerous pages, that arrow takes you to the last one...even if you have read it...

Peter_Smith
2nd Jul 2002, 03:17
Yes, I understand the function of the arrow. The arrow takes you to your last unread post in the thread, not at the end, necessarily - usually in the middle somewhere. But that was not my question. My question is, what are the circumstances under which the arrows appear (or do not). Some posts have arrows and some do not. It is always the top N posts, but I don't know what N is, or why. If I read a post and then refresh any number of times, or go out of the forum and back in, the arrow is still there. But then sometimes it goes away.

On the other hand, the icon that indicates the thread has new posts in it that you haven't seen (the open envelope) always refreshes itself immediately after you have read the thread, although it may take a reload to display properly.

What makes the difference in these two behaviors?

Vanguard
2nd Jul 2002, 06:28
My observation for the down arrow button alongside and to the left of the topic title is that there are new posts since the last time you read that thread. The down arrow doesn't take you to the last post in the thread. It takes you to the first new post in the thread since you last visited it. This is handy in that you don't have to scroll down and try to remember where you were the last time you were reading the thread.

The down arrow button seems to appear ONLY if there is also an envelope w/letter icon in the left column (which means there have been new posts since your last visit). The envelope w/letter icon and down arrow button somewhat duplicate each other, but one is just a flag (no link for it) while the other actually zips you through all the old posts and positions you at the first new post in the that thread. The down button appears usually for the topmost threads because those got positioned up there because there have been new posts since you were here last.

If the closed envelope icon is displayed in the left column, there are no new posts since your last visit. Likewise, the down button isn't there because there is no new post to position you to.

I'm not guaranteeing that's what these icons are for and that is all they trigger on, but it seems to fit.

Vanguard
2nd Jul 2002, 06:33
Oops, slight misunderstanding of the envelope icons.

The down button appears if there have been new posts since your last visit. It moves you down the thread to the first new post (of which there is at least one new post but there may be more).

The envelope w/letter icon means there are new posts from OTHER members since your last visit.

I think the closed envelope with a black dot means you added a post. The down button appears to point at your new post. A black dot, I think, means you made the new post to your own thread.

I've looked lots of places and there is a dearth of info regarding the icons. They need to add a page to the FAQ which gives a legend of every icon used in these forums. Hieroglyphics died because it was an inefficient and vague language and really more an art form. But it lives strong in Windows. A picture is worth a thousand words - which means its meaning is vague!

Peter_Smith
2nd Jul 2002, 06:58
Sorry, I dont understand your explanation of the down arrows. As for the function of the down arrow, you said exactly what I said. As for the circumstances of the down arrows, I am still in the dark. What is the distinction between unread portions of threads and unread posts from others? Also, note that all threads edited later than a certain time have the arrows, independently of whether I have read them or not, or when I log in. And what makes the arrows persist? It is not since you have last visited the forum. I read the arrowed threads, close the browser, and come back in and the arrows are still there. Sometimes.

That's OK. I don't really need to understand. I'll just use the arrows if I see them and I won't if I don't.:)

Vanguard
2nd Jul 2002, 19:00
It's almost like we need the user guide for the vB forum software since a lot is not explained in the FAQ.

Found the vBulletin user guide at: http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/manual.pdf

UPDATE:

Nope, the user guide didn't help. Still didn't find a list of icons. Guess it'll be like when we started playing Thief and before we knew about nudging and stacking: we'll learn as we go.

dago
6th Jul 2002, 09:10
i think the down arrow comes when there are new posts since the last time you visited...then it takes you to the the last one you read...

i think...

PoLuna
3rd Nov 2008, 15:09
Have you got avatar ?