PDA

View Full Version : Is anything wrong with me for choosing the "bad" ending?

Keep_your_hair_short
21st Oct 2015, 12:01
I couldnt let her die. Not again. I killed my best friend in The Walking dead game, I couldnt do it again here.

I was never good at those situations, where you have to choose. One life for saving more lifes. So instead thousands of people died, some might survive there, some, probably not those who Max or Chloe know.

But now, my final feeling from the game is GUILT.

Good thing I took the day off today, I wouldnt be able to function.

StrangerThanFiction
21st Oct 2015, 12:53
Remember that about 48 % of us chose the same thing you did. (Me being one of them). There's nothing wrong with you saving Chloe.

If it helps, you can make up any head-cannon you want. Mine is that David got everyone he could and took them to the Dark Room.

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 13:08
I am not sure the choices boil down to a good/bad choice. The game doesn't attach those label to the choices, we do.

julietxjules
21st Oct 2015, 15:07
I am not is the choices boil down to a good/bad choice. The game doesn't attach those label to the choices, we do.

Ah! I am glad to read that someone can see through the fog of choices that the game presented us with and recognised them for what they actually are - choices born from the emotions from within us all and what we, personally, would like to think we would do given the same scenario. Choices created within the confines in games of the imagination are one thing but, in reality no one can truly know what they would do until it happened! :)

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 15:22
This is very true, I've had some bad luck in my life time and as bad as it is/was, this is what defies who I am today. I've made some posts about it, you can look it up if you want to (through my profile)

Keep_your_hair_short
21st Oct 2015, 18:10
When I was making that choice, it was almost instant one. I knew people would die, but I told myself, that I save Chloe and many people will survive too. Tornado is not a nuclear bomb. I mean no choice as this is black and white, right?

StrangerThanFiction
21st Oct 2015, 18:17
When I was making that choice, it was almost instant one. I knew people would die, but I told myself, that I save Chloe and many people will survive too. Tornado is not a nuclear bomb. I mean no choice as this is black and white, right? Right! Usually they are grey. 50 shades of it.

I'll see myself out thanks.

Xeva-q
21st Oct 2015, 19:24
Yes, something is very, very wrong.

Lehkeri
21st Oct 2015, 21:42
There is no bad ending. There is no good ending. No right or wrong. They're equally valid and whichever you choose, that's the correct one for you.

ET_Red
21st Oct 2015, 22:43
I was never good at those situations, where you have to choose. One life for saving more lifes. So instead thousands of people died, some might survive there, some, probably not those who Max or Chloe know.

There is no wrong here as much as there is no good or bad. :)

My first reaction when I picked the Chloe ending was kind of similar to yours.

What was going on in my head when I stared at my screen trying to put myself into the position, trying to decide whether to send either Chloe or Arcadia Bay to hell my first thought was:
Hell no, I cant sacrifice this whole town for just one life. That's just not right.
But then I sat a few minutes staring at the screen and rolling it over.
What would others have done? And why? Save the town by sacrificing one live for the good of many?
It probably was the right thing to do from an ethical point of view. But relying on ethics, or mathmatics to weigh one life against many, felt just like trying to shift the blame away from my own decision.
That was just not what I wanted.
My decisions throughout the game led to this point. This were the consequences I (the player/Max) had to draw, that I had chosen. And I realised after the first rash intent of letting Chloe die that I couldnt do it.
I cared for her too much. But what of Arcadia Bay, how strongly did I care for it?
Not so much, I had to admit. Of course there were people living in it I cared about. People that didnt deserve their fate.
But in the end that just wasnt enough. Chloe weighed stronger.
And apart from that I had just seen what the power of time travel could cause and especially what it could mess up. And now I was thinking about going back to the beginning of it, trying to negate all that happened by making use of this power again?
It has happened before and it always turned out worse than before. How could this time be different?
If I hadnt told Chloe about my powers after saving her, wouldnt have used them for and with her, would it be different at all? Or if I hadnt saved her at all?
Was it not her, but maybe all my fault? Should I have made a different approach in the past towards her and my powers?
Maybe it wasnt her fault of what happened, neither the tornado nor anything else, but mine.
Was it Chloe's fault for not dying or mine for trying to prevent it even harder every time it happened?
It was just as with William. Making a too heavy impact on the timeline backfires somehow.
Was death really following Chloe, or rather following me or more specifically my meddling with time?
If I went back she didnt have to die to cover her own fault I realised, because none of this was her fault, but if I went back now she would die to cover up my mistakes.
It seemed unfair. My meddling with time caused all this, I had left my mark on Arcadia Bay in several ways.
On the town and its people. Joyce and David, Chloe, Kate, Victoria, even Nathan and all the others I have met on the way.
They gave me insights on trust, ambitions and devotion, so many lessons learned. For them and for me.
And it would all be in vain if I chose to go back now. Only one meaningless memory inside my own head among many, with noone to share out there. With noone to learn from it.
I wasnt sure for whom I was doing it, when I finally chose.
For Chloe? For the people of Arcaida Bay? For myself?
But I stopped simply counting one life against many, let my gut decide and ripped the photo.
I decided for myself that I can't try to fix my mistakes over and over again, trying to live life perfect until the outcome suits me, thats not how it works.
Because life is what you make of it. Even the mistakes.
If that "mistake" was trying to do the right thing and saving Chloe the first time, I will go by it.

I'd like to believe that's what the ending was about. Taking responsibility. In either way.
I dont think it is a final destination scenarior evolving around Chloe but more like a butterfly-effect scenario revolving around Max.
So I guess the alternate (dickish) Max in your nightmare was kind of not wrong about blaming you.
Regardless whether Chloe lives or dies, if Max keeps stressing her powers chaos will follow in her wake.
The only role Chloe played in it was having Max become aware of her powers.
Welp, at least that's my conclusion on why I chose to let Arcadia Bay go.

The final choice might be a bit of black/white. But whatever your reasons behind choosing it certainly not.

Remember that about 48 % of us chose the same thing you did. (Me being one of them). There's nothing wrong with you saving Chloe.

If it helps, you can make up any head-cannon you want. Mine is that David got everyone he could and took them to the Dark Room.

Hell yeah. David Madsen, Arcadia Bay Hero. :D

Lehkeri
21st Oct 2015, 22:52
That was one of the best posts I've ever read. Well said!

pilottjLIS
21st Oct 2015, 22:58
Yes, there is no 'wrong' answer. You pick based on what you feel is right. What you feel is right may very well be based on choices you made earlier. In my play through, Kate was alive and on a strong road to recovery. In my playthrough, Victoria was on a recovery path herself, thanks to Max, no longer needing to put others down to feel better about herself. Alyssa considered Max her angel in my playthrough. She, Victoria, Kate, and many others had been positively touched by Max's actions. This was one of the main reasons why I felt saving Chloe was correct, for this playthrough. I felt it would be a disservice to everyone whom Max helped or inspired(practically everyone in town if you choose to interact with them), if she 'reset' everything. (That and there is every reason to believe only the town was physically destroyed....there were many survivors)

Perhaps in someone else's playthrough, Kate had died, Victoria still hated Max, and Alyssa was never helped, so in that case, 'reseting' things may have been the better choice...see, the choices do matter. How you chose to interact with the various characters may be a big deciding factor on what ending you choose.

I like this game because it makes you figure these things out for yourself, it doesn't spoonfeed you along a particular path, everything is completely up to your interpretation of how things should be.

Cheers

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 23:15
I'm not so sure if the final choice is as black/white as people make it out to be.
My experience with the two choices at the end was quite complicated because of my own past, the choice is however binary.

You might want to pay a lot of attention to Chloe's dialog prior to making the choice, she brings up a lot of valid points.

I have the feeling that the moral of the game is that you can not really change the course of time, Chloe getting killed repeatedly and you constantly fixing it, there is no question there will be a point you will be there when Chloe gets herself killed again and you will not be able to help.

I have taken note of my presence in this life does cause ripples around me, I do effect people and events with my mere presence. Max is not any different and is somewhat conscious about this fact and is trying to play it as best as she can.

I think it also very import to see things from Max's perceptive and letting yourself get invested in the story, to have the choices effect you to a point.

I found that Chloe's role is quite interesting, yes she is primary catalyst for a lot of things and effects Max a lot through out the story. There is a lot to be said about their relationship, especially is you kiss her.

I found it awesome how choices are implemented into the game and how they rather aim to effect the player rather than Max, or the conclusion of the game from a game mechanic standpoint.

I have noted that people are somewhat bother by the lack of "why" in the game, however in meat space how often do we know the "why" when we are effect by some of things life throws our way ? I for example got no idea why my mother died when I was an infant, why I had to see my friend fall to his death, getting the news that the person I loved got murdered, why I had to suffer through as much physical, mental and sexual abuse as I have...I just got no idea... I love how this is implemented into the game.
Some people see it different though.

scyme0
22nd Oct 2015, 01:16
Perhaps in someone else's playthrough, Kate had died, Victoria still hated Max, and Alyssa was never helped, so in that case, 'reseting' things may have been the better choice...see, the choices do matter. How you chose to interact with the various characters may be a big deciding factor on what ending you choose.

Just for the sake of sharing experiences: All these things were true for my playthrough + they took the handicapped fund and Max still sacrificed Arcadia Bay ^^ Then again "my" Max tended to be a bit more selfish and generally less helpful towards strangers.

So, yeah @OP, as others have already said, nothing wrong with you at all.

superchief117m
22nd Oct 2015, 01:27
I made the same decision so no nothing wrong. I'm assuming a lot of people evacuated. Who in their right mind would just stay in town and just stare at a hint ass tornado coming at them. Anyone with half a brain would have gotten the hell out of there.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 01:33
I made the same decision so no nothing wrong. I'm assuming a lot of people evacuated. Who in their right mind would just stay in town and just stare at a hint ass tornado coming at them. Anyone with half a brain would have gotten the hell out of there.

Also the town apparently had some sort of fallout shelter boom, so there should be adequate cover around. And yes, Save Chloe is the one and only ending for me.

Keep_your_hair_short
22nd Oct 2015, 04:27

Yes, of course, that was my thinking. Only thing I would be expecting is Chloe search for her mom, not driving off to the sunset.

Also I wouldnt have sterted this topic, but I've seen other ending on youtube, and it made me feel and cry so bad, I was thinking what's wrong with me. Now I see, there are reasons for both endings and in mine, I'm with my childhood best friend.

Suathiel
22nd Oct 2015, 04:32
When I was making that choice, it was almost instant one. I knew people would die, but I told myself, that I save Chloe and many people will survive too. Tornado is not a nuclear bomb. I mean no choice as this is black and white, right?

For me too. And having to make this choice still makes me angry.
First Chloes is almost tortured, all is set to make her suffer. I just wanted to hug and protect her.
And I should kill her? Forget it!

I can understand her so well, far better than is good for me but I can't change it. She is what could be me in a version, that doesn't turn everything inside until I can't reach it myself and run from it all. And I should kill her? Forget it!
And well, if this means there is something wrong with me, be it. I would sacrifice the whole world for my friends. If this makes me a horrible person so be it. If I made any other choice I would have to kill myself afterwards.
Let's just hope that I will never be in a situation, where I would have to make such a choice... at least it's very unlikely.

Keep_your_hair_short
22nd Oct 2015, 14:42
For me too. And having to make this choice still makes me angry.
First Chloes is almost tortured, all is set to make her suffer. I just wanted to hug and protect her.
And I should kill her? Forget it!

I can understand her so well, far better than is good for me but I can't change it. She is what could be me in a version, that doesn't turn everything inside until I can't reach it myself and run from it all. And I should kill her? Forget it!
And well, if this means there is something wrong with me, be it. I would sacrifice the whole world for my friends. If this makes me a horrible person so be it. If I made any other choice I would have to kill myself afterwards.
Let's just hope that I will never be in a situation, where I would have to make such a choice... at least it's very unlikely.

It's like you reading from my mind. Cheers.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 14:51
I don't usually read fanfic, but this one is actually pretty... good. Lifted my spirits.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/5041915?view_adult=true