PDA

View Full Version : Which ending did you pick and why?

Robsolo
21st Oct 2015, 09:37
I choose to destroy Arcadia bay and save Chloe. The reason being is that the whole adventure, the week Chloe and Max spent and all the choices and experiences would mean nothing if she died. You have to remember that if you pick the Chloe sacrifice ending, Max and Chloe went years without seeing eachother just for Chloe to get murdered before they saw eachother again. Neither of the endings is great but I prefer this one.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 09:45
At first I pick to sacrifice Chloe...I know against all my will...but one life over for all the others, no way. Chloe makes his freedom with it and die ;(*** but it feels so terribly wrong. And what´s happen after I save Arcadia...the prescotts will torn the town away with their money. Is that better? I open my own Thread about it, there are my fully thoughts about that ending :)

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 09:58
I couldn't save one person and kill thousands of people. I loved Chloe as much as Max did (didn't kiss her though) but that was really too unbalanced decision for me.

WazzuMan
21st Oct 2015, 10:04
I'm feeling like people are oversimplifying the ending or focus too much on it instead of the journey and experience Max and Chloe had. I have so many thoughts on this that it'll take me some time to organise but here's the short version. I chose to let Arcadia Bay die, I didn't make the choice lightly, I didn't decide right away and I didn't do it for a single reason. There are actually a number of layers to that lead me to this choice.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 10:17
@ WazzuMan...I think the choices the game gave us didn´t realy match with the journey...so it feels wrong no matter what I choose and why. And at this point it is black or white no gray. If Max save´s Chloe and let all the people die (or not, the ending didnt tell us what happen to all) I for my understanding about max feel she cant be happy with that. Every morning she awakes and see Chloe she also see the dead from Arcadia bay. Max is such an empathic charakter that this knowledge will (sooner or later) driven her mad. On the other hand sit at the bottom of a Restroom and knowing that you long lost freind is shoten in a few seconds also cant make her feel better, special with your knowledge you made the last day´s with chloe.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 10:37
^that.

It's a horrible emotional experience no matter what.
I don't get why Dontnod felt that this is necessary.

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 11:01
I chose to save Arcadia Bay. One reason for it was the dialog with Chloe leading up the decision (and starting at the screen for a while) and the other was that I have lost some dear friends witch I have loves during my lifetime, even though as hard as it is I wound that thing would be best being the way they are given actually having them alive would have a lot of unforeseen consequences of witch some would not be beneficial to other people. I think the game does a great job with the hurricane as a metaphor for a very negative event that happens when you mess with time.

The personal nature of this choice made me spend some hours in bed just think and only getting four hours of sleep before waking up to my cellphone when I was dreaming about Life is Strange, and the alarm being an SMS from someone warning me of things to come... that brain of mine.... jeez.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 11:02
^that.

It's a horrible emotional experience no matter what.
I don't get why Dontnod felt that this is necessary.

Maybe too offtopic but I think dontnod lost the touch with the story during all this time changing. It begins as a tale about two freinds and end up in an epic all touching question "what happen´s if someone alters the reality". I for me wish they got more focused about to save Chloe the right way not alone her life also her soul who got damaged after the death of her father. Over the journey we see how hard the stuck in the past and cant forgot or see the "wonderfull gift of sweet memories" her father left like her mother says. So my first impression (during the first episode) was that:

The first one was I think Chloe was the Storm that destroys Arcadia, she is so angry, so embittered, so sad about her life and the death of her father and her personal situation. She talks "...to nuke Arcady Bay to glas..." and such things. From this point on I think there are only two ways to save arcadia...Chloe must Die at the end to save arcadia bay or you can bring back the sparkle of life in her soul and she can left the past behind so (her grief) the storm ends.

but realy to "ot" here, only some small toughts.

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 11:39
Maybe too offtopic but I think dontnod lost the touch with the story during all this time changing. It begins as a tale about two freinds and end up in an epic all touching question "what happen´s if someone alters the reality". I for me wish they got more focused about to save Chloe the right way not alone her life also her soul who got damaged after the death of her father. Over the journey we see how hard the stuck in the past and cant forgot or see the "wonderfull gift of sweet memories" her father left like her mother says. So my first impression (during the first episode) was that:

but realy to "ot" here, only some small toughts.

"but I think dontnod lost the touch with the story during all this time changing. It begins as a tale about two freinds and end up in an epic all touching question "what happen´s if someone alters the reality". "

Sigh you didn't see E3 2014 presentation or EGX London right? the whole alter time reality thing its planned from the beginning!

Anyway I chosed to save chloe first then arcadia bay and again re copy savefiles lol save chloe again. I think its perfect ending aimals alive and eco system normal and they togheter leave arcadia bay for good and start new life.And probably max is remained more to older/original "concept" self (hipster shy girl) in this ending than arcadia bay ending.

Xeva-q
21st Oct 2015, 11:42
I played with my friend and she me to pass gamepad to her, to press "x" by her own hand. Both of us hated that ****.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 11:50
the whole alter time reality thing its planned from the beginning!

Okay I think its my bad english...I know it...ähmm new try. I know that the whole alter time reality thing is a basicly part of the game but it is there to tell a story? Or it is there to tell us how bad it is to alter time? And there I am not sure what dontnod want to tell us. During the first 4 episodes it seems its a storymechanik, wich when you overdo it (like save chloes father) it had terrible outcomes. But with the 5th episode I think its didnt matter what we do in the story "nice try player but to change time is such an evil thing the only way to repair it is to kill someone" and that is the point where think dontnod lost the focus off the game. Cant say it better. There are enough examples out in the first few episodes that makes clear its bad to play with time, but to end it with this statment feels wrong bcs. we allready know it. The end (in my eyes only) should be arround the relationship from Max and Chloe not to let her die again or let Arcadia Bay goes to hell.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 11:55
Exactly that. I mean, Max has her memories even if she re-set the timeline. The rewinds have made her a more experienced, more grown-up person. But sadly she is now a very lonely person because the has memories she will never be able to share with anyone plus she had to kill her closest friend.
I'm really lost here. I have no idea what the point is of the whole experience.

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 12:02
I'm feeling like people are oversimplifying the ending or focus too much on it instead of the journey and experience Max and Chloe had. I have so many thoughts on this that it'll take me some time to organise but here's the short version. I chose to let Arcadia Bay die, I didn't make the choice lightly, I didn't decide right away and I didn't do it for a single reason. There are actually a number of layers to that lead me to this choice.

It was really hard for me, I had really strong connection with Chloe, too, and and I hated to do that but I can't be responsible for ending lives of thousands innocent people. That's horrible and I could never do that, no matter how great an experience I had and how great friend is the one I need to sacrifice.

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 12:04
Looks like people don't understand video game creating... it would be more difficult to create such storyline to make 3-4 endings with different choises with multiple storylines etc... that game would require like 6 year to develop or more it would be never done, ahh and yeah TONS of money. Anyway this is why I like this type of endings because everybody have a different imagination how the main characters story,adventure would continue.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 12:06
@ PinkFrog I cant say it better...I lost the touch with Max and Chloe in both endings bcs. to end a game it´s simple, but to end a charakter like this seems shortviewd...dont know if it´s right in english. It feels to save Chloe and to sacrevice Arcadia Bay was ever not realy an choise the outtake is too short compared with chloes funeral...I dont want to say my view is the only right one or only the best one or so...I simply try to find a reason for either choice and I realy dont find one (out of the journey).

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 12:07
Exactly that. I mean, Max has her memories even if she re-set the timeline. The rewinds have made her a more experienced, more grown-up person. But sadly she is now a very lonely person because the has memories she will never be able to share with anyone plus she had to kill her closest friend.
I'm really lost here. I have no idea what the point is of the whole experience.

the game is about: "To let things go and build future"

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 12:09
Looks like people don't understand video game creating... it would be more difficult to create such storyline to make 3-4 endings with different choises with multiple storylines etc... that game would require like 6 year to develop or more it would be never done, ahh and yeah TONS of money. Anyway this is why I like this type of endings because everybody have a different imagination how the main characters story,adventure would continue.

Looks like ppl don´t understand storytelling...bla bla...you dont need to waste TONS of money if you think about what you do and dont just do anything to end it bcs. its terrible sad or terrible wrong. The game was more then that, it was terrible sad in other episodes so...maybe try a smarter outcome and dont rewind to the begining.

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 12:15

I don't want multiple storylines. I just wanted to make my choices count. Even if we couldn't make a final choice, I would have been happy if at the end Chloe did something different because I, say, wasn't nice to her, so it will end another way.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 12:18
the game is about: "To let things go and build future"

That simple, huh? I'm pretty sure that there's more going on than that, sorry to say.

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 12:22
I don't want multiple storylines. I just wanted to make my choices count. Even if we couldn't make a final choice, I would have been happy if at the end Chloe did something different because I, say, wasn't nice to her, so it will end another way.

"I just wanted to make my choices count"
that is multiple storylines... example you chose to kill pampidou and I'm not, you chose to help david, I'm not help him then the game goes multiple stoylines because everything have a consequences and the game creators need to make that and that is money and time a lot of time. And this is just 2 choises the game would be too complex it cant be done that way.

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 12:39
That simple, huh? I'm pretty sure that there's more going on than that, sorry to say.
It is, that's why they maked the alternate reality when chloe father was still alive..you can clearly see its best to not change the past, and let things go. And this goes to the 2 endings too its perfectly fits. If you let things go to let chloe die then timeline is restored to the original what would be. If you choose chloe and let arcadiabay go, max is choose again to not or never use her powers again and let things go (this time arcadia bay) they together left arcadiabay to start new life THE GAME is SIMPLE and EASY.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 12:49
No doubt, this theme does exist.
But there are others, too. No? You make it sound that that's the main theme. I don't see it like that.

StrangerThanFiction
21st Oct 2015, 12:51
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay because #BaeBeforeBay! Lol.

In truth, I chose to save Chloe because I felt like changing the past again wouldn't have made anything different. Did Max really prevent the storm by letting Chloe die? Maybe. Maybe Not. We don't get to see what happens after the funeral, so maybe the storm STILL happens and Max's goal was to warn everybody.

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW.

Besides, my head-cannon suggests that David went around collecting everyone and took them to the Dark Room.

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 12:52
"I just wanted to make my choices count"
that is multiple storylines... example you chose to kill pampidou and I'm not, you chose to help david, I'm not help him then the game goes multiple stoylines because everything have a consequences and the game creators need to make that and that is money and time a lot of time. And this is just 2 choises the game would be too complex it cant be done that way.

I made exactly the choices you said. :) I was fine with how it was dealt with the choices in the previous episodes, I just expected that it will differ at least a little in the final episode, in the very end at least.

Robsolo
21st Oct 2015, 13:21
6 years!? I doubt it would take half the time. You can't claim choices matter on a game when they don't.
Endings I don't care about as much. They can still change the story with what you choose. You make it sound impossible..

KyofuRex
21st Oct 2015, 14:06
I decided to sacrifice Chloe. Destiny wanted her death. Every life-threating moments what Chloe survived by the efforts of Max was the attempt of the destiny/death. in exchange the destiny wanted something. something way bigger. the city. Max saw it in her vision she just didnt understood it yet. in the nightmare scene the game tried to make the player to remember every moments what max have been went through, especially at the end of it. the diner scene - where every people appeared who met with Max trying to convince you they are all count on you or trying to make you guilty, if you let them all die. The memories about Chloe where the game trying to convince you that she is your best friend forever and you couldnt let her die. this is the lesson of the game i think. the alternate max (your remorse) told it "so you'll have to learn the hard way" "is it worth it all killing everybody for you friend" yes and i know that most of her other prosecution was just bull**** trying to manipulate you but that was actually really true.

IMO to sacrificing the city, was a selfish and irresponsible choice. this ending doesnt show much thats why i hate it a bit, because it doesnt make you feel guilty enough. we can just see crashed houses and some covered corpses. it doesnt remind you that you killed chloe's mother, stepfather, Warren, Kate, everyone. You two just drive away with a small smile. its nonsense.

Sacrificing Chloe was the hardest decision ever. yeah i know that if you let her die that is like all for nothing. but i think this is the right choice, Chloe told it too. both of the choices have horrible consequences example you will brake Joyce and David heart to pieces if you sacrifice her, but imo this is the smaller bad, and chloe's spirit will be around as forever.

pilottjLIS
21st Oct 2015, 15:41
The choices are vague and leave lots to interpretation, especially given the spiritual beliefs presented in it. The writers obviously believe in spirit guides and quite possibly reincarnation.

I played both choices, and to be honest, I am more comfortable saving Chloe.
Here is why.
1 There are many surviors.
The choice says simply 'Save Chloe' or 'Save Arcadia Bay'. It makes no mention about the lives of the residents, simply that you would save the town from physical destruction. Look at the town's level of destruction in the 'Save Chloe' end scene. It looked very surviable, there were partially intact buildings, including the diner. If you need a comparison, look at photos of small midwest towns after they were wiped out by big tornados...far worse destruction (which many people survive those). It is equally valid to assume that there are many surviors as it is to assume everyone was killed, and given the evidence from the intact buildings, I choose to believe that there are many surviors.

2 Town would have been destroyed anyway.
The town was already on a path to destruction prior to Max's timeplay, which you findout if you took the time to question the residents earlier. The Prescott greed had already sent the town on a path to economic and environmental ruin. Many of the residents indicated they wanted to leave and start new lives elsewhere. The storm simply forced this issue. The survivors were able to start new lives elsewhere, as they had wanted. The end result is basically the same, a physically destroyed town from the storm or a deserted ghost town lost to poor economics and environment.

3. Max positively affected a whole lot of people, including herself.
Think of all the people Max positively affected. Pretty much everyone in the game admired Max or were grateful for Max being in their lives, because she helped them see something, helped them reconcile, helped them make peace with themselves or others. Even Nathan apologized to her in the end. Through helping others, she helped herself. If you 'Save Arcadia Bay' Max will go back to a point where she hadn't affected these people. Its possible due to Max's kind and nurturing nature that she would have eventually helped some people, but there would still be a lot of bitter, depressed, insecure people she wouldn't have 'touched'. From a karmic standpoint, if some of those people did infact die in the storm, they did die with a karmic weight lifted.

4. Poor Joyce or Poor Chloe...take your pick.
If you save the town, Joyce will have lost both William and Chloe. If you save Chloe and 'assume' everyone else dies, then Chloe will have lost William and Joyce. Then again if you 'assume' there were many survivors, it is quite possible Joyce survived in the intact diner shown in the last scene of the 'Save Chloe'. Chloe would not only still have Joyce, she would also have a renewed relationshp with David...thanks to Max. Wouldn't it be just as unfair to Joyce to have Chloe die? At least if Joyce does in fact die in this rather spiritual game, she could be on the 'other side' reunited with William.

5. Saving town means still messing with time travel and twisting reality while saving Chloe means renouncing time travel and letting the future play out from then on without alteration.
If you go back in time with the picture at the end. You have again altered 'time'. If Max retains knowlege of the future, she will again mess with reality, which Max wanted to avoid. If she forgets everything, everything goes on as before. Kate is still depressed from the viral video. Victoria is still an insecure b#$#h. The town is still destroyed by Prescott greed.

6. Setup for season 2.
The vague choices means lots of unanswered questions that are open to interpretation. This sets up many possibilities for another season. If you were Dontnod and had won all these game awards, while knowing how popular this game has become...$$$, wouldn't you leave it open for more seasons?

Ironically, the best reality for Max to renounce her time travel in was the William alive reality. Chloe died with her last sight being with her best friend. Joyce and William had each other, and the medical debt would have cleared with Chloe gone. Joyce and William cared about Max so much, they would likely have 'adopted' her as a second mother and father.

Cheers

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 17:29
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay because #BaeBeforeBay! Lol.

In truth, I chose to save Chloe because I felt like changing the past again wouldn't have made anything different. Did Max really prevent the storm by letting Chloe die? Maybe. Maybe Not. We don't get to see what happens after the funeral, so maybe the storm STILL happens and Max's goal was to warn everybody.

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW.

Besides, my head-cannon suggests that David went around collecting everyone and took them to the Dark Room.

After your time in the photo expires, you are taken to the time, where you have been. So Max was taken to Friday.

StrangerThanFiction
21st Oct 2015, 17:33
After your time in the photo expires, you are taken to the time, where you have been. So Max was taken to Friday.

Doesn't necessarily have to happen on a Friday tbh. But I didn't save Arcadia Bay so I don't know much of that ending (just from what I watch on GeekRemix's stream/vid).

I do know that Chloe better love me for sacrificing the entire town for her (not necessarily the people in the town. Just the town itself). :lmao:

Also 10/10 would sacrifice Arcadia Bay for Chloe again.

Tataboj
21st Oct 2015, 18:14
3. Max positively affected a whole lot of people, including herself.
Think of all the people Max positively affected. Pretty much everyone in the game admired Max or were grateful for Max being in their lives, because she helped them see something, helped them reconcile, helped them make peace with themselves or others. Even Nathan apologized to her in the end. Through helping others, she helped herself. If you 'Save Arcadia Bay' Max will go back to a point where she hadn't affected these people. Its possible due to Max's kind and nurturing nature that she would have eventually helped some people, but there would still be a lot of bitter, depressed, insecure people she wouldn't have 'touched'. From a karmic standpoint, if some of those people did infact die in the storm, they did die with a karmic weight lifted.

Well, in my playthrough, Kate and Nathan are dead, while if you choose to sacrifice Chloe and save Arcadia Bay, Nathan is arrested and Kate is alive.

--TIE--
21st Oct 2015, 23:32
Well, in my playthrough, Kate and Nathan are dead, while if you choose to sacrifice Chloe and save Arcadia Bay, Nathan is arrested and Kate is alive.

That´s my biggest problem with the game. Why all went good if Chloe dies? Why is Kate still alive? During my playthroug I cant save her bcs. I choose the wrong bible vers...what was her destiny? If I change it bcs. I didn´t save her...compared to Chloes destiny why I change it IF she dont dies!? At the very end, all was you made between the 1st episode and the 5th didn´t matter, bcs. all goes right if chloe´s destiny is fulfilled!? Feels hard to belive that.

Offsides I think a little bit dontnod give´s the "save Chloe" choice only bcs. they listen to the forum´s all over the www. so mutch ppl want to let them ride in the sunset. The prolog where they drive through Arcadia is absolut soulless and far to short like "we need to make a alternate ending FAST".

scyme0
22nd Oct 2015, 01:00
I would like to express my gratitude towards Dontnod for giving us this choice at all (though I half expected a development in which Max ended up dead). I was sitting there thinking 'Omg don't you dare railroad me into that "good choice now"' and was instantly relieved to see another option there. The whole notion of defying destiny no matter the cost has always sat quite well with me and so it was not a hard choice to let Arcadia Bay be destroyed. Chloe's speech did make it more difficult although - to me personally - that whole altruism thing seemed a bit out of character for her and almost felt like she was trying to convince herself or trying to make the choice easier for Max (but again, just me).

Maybe it's a selfish thing for Max to do or maybe it's her way of saying this screwing around with time ends right here and now, especially since she actually can't be certain of a positive outcome in a time line where Chloe gets shot by Nathan. Strangely, it reminded me of Start Trek II and III, which both play around with the whole concept of "the needs of the many vs the needs of the few (or a single person)". Especially part III makes the point that the logical choice is not always the choice people will go for. Instead, sometimes they do the "human" thing. And I'm not arguing that letting thousands of people die is humane in any way but that humans don't always act according to what would be the logical or even the morally correct choice. So ultimately "my" Max went for her Chloe and I like to think they live traumatized, but more or less happily, ever after ^^

Good points have been made in regards to a lack of quality for the save Chloe-Ending in comparison to the other one, and I don't necessarily agree with all of them except that it could have been a bit more fleshed out maybe. Then again, silence does sometimes speak louder than words.
Overall, imho a well made game very reminiscent of great titles such as "Donnie Darko" and especially "Steins;Gate". Hope to see more from this developer in the future and keep up giving people choices.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 05:48
That´s my biggest problem with the game. Why all went good if Chloe dies? Why is Kate still alive? During my playthroug I cant save her bcs. I choose the wrong bible vers...what was her destiny? If I change it bcs. I didn´t save her...compared to Chloes destiny why I change it IF she dont dies!? At the very end, all was you made between the 1st episode and the 5th didn´t matter, bcs. all goes right if chloe´s destiny is fulfilled!? Feels hard to belive that.

I think when Chloe died, people realized a lot of things, including Kate and her thoughts about suicide. She had other things to think about than some video when a person died in her school.

UNKLEPhilosophy
22nd Oct 2015, 10:28
But Square Enix dosnt really care for Life is Strange.. Life is Strange was originally contains EPISODE8! but Dontnod cut down to Episode5 because of looks like Square Enix (publisher) maybe Square Enix give them another project lol,
Video game is business after all.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/09/18/life-is-strange-originally-had-more-than-five-episodes-planned/168004/
http://41.media.tumblr.com/e446b47698785ff6511ab0079c77ca96/tumblr_nuf2w1t1ah1rvqn1lo1_400.png

--TIE--
22nd Oct 2015, 11:15
I think when Chloe died, people realized a lot of things, including Kate and her thoughts about suicide. She had other things to think about than some video when a person died in her school.

Maybe...I think we met Kate at her end of her journey as well we met Chloe. The Video is out for a while and the damage is allready done to Kate. She stops playing her violin for (a week if I remember it right). She looks very depressed in Episode one (before the things go strange) and even how nice we are to her she goes up to the roof and jumps. Max reach the place at the moment she jumps. Without timealtering we never had a chance to save her. Only with knowledge from the past we can give her the right words to jump not. Her family, special her mother judge her for what she does under drugs. Thats impacts her so much that even the words from her father (you are the light of my life...we can talk about everything...or something like that) cant help her to feel better.

I dont think Chloe wasn´t so importand for what is going on. Neither Kate was...Victoria try´s to use the sucide to push up her chances at the everydays here contest. A angry teenage girl, known for violance and drugs is shooten in "self-defense" by Blackwells finest student. Like he act during the questioning from principal Wells, or like his family control the police and the town I find it difficult that this all doesn´t matter bcs. chloe dies!? The Prescotts didn´t turn to samaritan bcs. a punk dies.

Only a few thought from me.

Lehkeri
22nd Oct 2015, 11:24
I saved Chloe. For me, it was the right thing to do. After that week, there was no way I'd just let her die, not after she learned so much. She matured. She got closure with Rachel Amber. If I chose to sacrifice her, she'd just die alone, angry and feeling that everyone just leaves her. Joyce would lose her daughter. No amount of butterflies can remedy that. And Max even says that every time she tries to fix things, they go poop. It was time to not use her powers anymore. It was time to rip that photo and take responsibility. They went through so much, I couldn't rob that from Chloe. I couldn't take her best friend away again.

Ichimaru_Gin7
22nd Oct 2015, 11:25
I chose to save Arcadia. Choosing Chloe over a whole town is just bad and selfish. After all Chloe showed a fantastic resolve during the end and i couldnt refuse her choice for sacrificing herself, i just couldnt let the whole town to pay for "my"(Max) mistake.

--TIE--
22nd Oct 2015, 11:27
@ Lehkeri / @ Ichimaru_Gin7

NICE, perfectly state what I think about the end :) that´s it whats makes so hard...fully agree with both of you!

OHWceta
22nd Oct 2015, 13:46
But Square Enix dosnt really care for Life is Strange.. Life is Strange was originally contains EPISODE8! but Dontnod cut down to Episode5 because of looks like Square Enix (publisher) maybe Square Enix give them another project lol,
Video game is business after all.

I've lost all faith in Square Enix after how they supremely let us down with the Kingdom Hearts franchise. But that's another story....

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 15:50
Maybe...I think we met Kate at her end of her journey as well we met Chloe. The Video is out for a while and the damage is allready done to Kate. She stops playing her violin for (a week if I remember it right). She looks very depressed in Episode one (before the things go strange) and even how nice we are to her she goes up to the roof and jumps. Max reach the place at the moment she jumps. Without timealtering we never had a chance to save her. Only with knowledge from the past we can give her the right words to jump not. Her family, special her mother judge her for what she does under drugs. Thats impacts her so much that even the words from her father (you are the light of my life...we can talk about everything...or something like that) cant help her to feel better.

I dont think Chloe wasn´t so importand for what is going on. Neither Kate was...Victoria try´s to use the sucide to push up her chances at the everydays here contest. A angry teenage girl, known for violance and drugs is shooten in "self-defense" by Blackwells finest student. Like he act during the questioning from principal Wells, or like his family control the police and the town I find it difficult that this all doesn´t matter bcs. chloe dies!? The Prescotts didn´t turn to samaritan bcs. a punk dies.

Only a few thought from me.

Since Max didn't have Chloe to be with, perhaps she sticked to Kate and hung out with her more, she doesn't always drive away with Chloe so it's likely Kate can always visit her. And Kate probably didn't have to for example call Max, she was simply with her.

--TIE--
22nd Oct 2015, 16:16
Interesting, interesting...even if I think after the Blackwell Restroom Shoting Max got involved with policework, had to ask questions wait for hours and is self depressed bcs. she choose to sacrifice chloe (even if she saves arcadia I think that´s positive aspect will come to her latley if she make her freedom with the decision to let her beloved freind die. If...let me say...there is a week between the shoting and Kates suicide than I give your opinion a fully YES!! but Kate jumps of the roof around 24h after the shoting...less time and we can´t alter it *grrrr*:mad2:

But nice to talk about all this.

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 16:27
I sacrificed Aracdia Bay and saved Chloe. It was a hard decision for me and somehow it felt bad to pretty much kill everybody just to safe one person. But I couldn't let Chloe die again. To see her die several times already was too much. But I feel really bad when thinking about all the other dead people now.

Offsides I think a little bit dontnod give´s the "save Chloe" choice only bcs. they listen to the forum´s all over the www. so mutch ppl want to let them ride in the sunset. The prolog where they drive through Arcadia is absolut soulless and far to short like "we need to make a alternate ending FAST".

I feared that this was going to be the final decision of the game. Chose between Arcadia Bay and Chloe. I almost knew there wouldn't be a "real" happy ending, and that a sacrifice was to be made. But nevertheless I think the "Sacrfice Arcadia Bay" ending is a bit too dark and depressing and definitely lacks closure. There should have been definitely a few more explanations/epilogue scenes.

From just watching the end scene it feels everyone in town is dead. Which IMO is impossible. I think there should be at least some survivors. The ending would feel better if they showed at least a few people who survived and that at least a few of our previous decisions mattered. [e.g. If you saved Kate earlier she's seen alive and so on]

unnamed_soldier
22nd Oct 2015, 16:40
The last choice in game is like... What kind of pepper you want? Well, I saved Chloe. Sure, It's suffering to watch how tornado destroys your city but If the most important person in your life stand next to you, you are able to go through. But if you will sacrifice closest person, you will add burden to your own future. Is it possible to go through? Not with all these "memories" and not without person who will understand you.

I can't believe that i fell in love with game character, so dumb. :D

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 17:19
Interesting, interesting...even if I think after the Blackwell Restroom Shoting Max got involved with policework, had to ask questions wait for hours and is self depressed bcs. she choose to sacrifice chloe (even if she saves arcadia I think that´s positive aspect will come to her latley if she make her freedom with the decision to let her beloved freind die. If...let me say...there is a week between the shoting and Kates suicide than I give your opinion a fully YES!! but Kate jumps of the roof around 24h after the shoting...less time and we can´t alter it *grrrr*:mad2:

But nice to talk about all this.

That's just a matter of opinions, everything could have happen. But until Friday it wasn't that Max, her true self got to her in the time when she traveled through the photo. So she was acting normally without the memories of Chloe for the week.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 17:45
I was thinking about this as a possible choice long before Polarized. So I was already determined about sacrificing Chloe and saving people of Arcadia Bay. And even though sure about it - it was so hard decision to make. What I think about it is that tearing the photo is like: "I am not so strong to give up my best friend." I don't want to insult anybody, I felt this about the choice.

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 18:13
I chose to sacrifice Chloe. I was surprised 50% of people didn't, but I get it, I guess.

I did get the feeling while playing that there were two different forces at play: whatever forces wanted Chloe dead, and whatever gave Max her superpowers. I felt that "the universe" or whatever wanted Chloe dead, and that Max was given the ability to reverse time to save her time and time again and keep her alive.

Safe-Keeper
22nd Oct 2015, 18:15
Looks like people don't understand video game creating... it would be more difficult to create such storyline to make 3-4 endings with different choises with multiple storylines etc... that game would require like 6 year to develop or more it would be never done, ahh and yeah TONS of money. Anyway this is why I like this type of endings because everybody have a different imagination how the main characters story,adventure would continue.I too love LiS, but this doesn't make sense. They were doing a great job up until episode 5, and they perfectly well had the ability to have more than two endings.
Don't be a fanboy, please.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 18:17
I chose to sacrifice Chloe. I was surprised 50% of people didn't, but I get it, I guess.

I did get the feeling while playing that there were two different forces at play: whatever forces wanted Chloe dead, and whatever gave Max her superpowers. I felt that "the universe" or whatever wanted Chloe dead, and that Max was given the ability to reverse time to save her time and time again and keep her alive.

It was a bizarre choice for me....I just felt so empty about the two choices in front of me. I knew saving Chloe would be wrong....but I just didnt care anymore....the game spent so much time making us care about Chloe that I was just like screw it....well just stand here and watch the world end. As ridiculous as that sounds.

StrangerThanFiction
22nd Oct 2015, 18:59

Because Bae before Bay! Lol.

KiraS94
22nd Oct 2015, 21:41
Short answer: Saved Chloe, of course.

Long answer: the reasoning is different whether there's Destiny at work, or not. But the conclusion is the same.
* If there is a Destiny then it seems Max got all those time powers specifically to be able to save Chloe. There were many obstacles to finally saving her, but overcoming them is just her fulfilling her Destiny - with the last obstacle being the final guilt trip. (Who knows? Maybe Chloe will be very important in the future, and invent the cure for cancer saving millions? Or become a global figurehead for LGBT rights, single-handedly eliminating all prejudice in every single country? Maybe stumble upon the solution for an infinite energy source? Remember, it's Destiny...)
* If there is NO Destiny, then it's logical that Max do with her powers whatever she (and the people she loves) benefit most from; and if the Universe is a prick and tries to bully her, it can, but that destruction and those deaths are then not really Max's fault. So it's the Universe who needs to deal with all that guilt, get some therapy if needed, Max just stuck to her principles and didn't give in to intimidation.

Btw I find the ending choice a bit simplistic, and I'm overall not very happy with the depth and thoughtfulness of the writing. But it would be OT to write more in this thread, so maybe I'll gather my thoughts and post them up later...

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 22:13
It was a bizarre choice for me....I just felt so empty about the two choices in front of me. I knew saving Chloe would be wrong....but I just didnt care anymore....the game spent so much time making us care about Chloe that I was just like screw it....well just stand here and watch the world end. As ridiculous as that sounds.

Yeah. That pretty much sums up, why I also saved Chloe and how I felt.

Xabungle
23rd Oct 2015, 09:53
I let the town die. I spent way too much time trying to keep Chloe alive.

JohnnyPepsi
23rd Oct 2015, 10:42
My first ending, or the one I actually prefer?

In my first (and what I'm pretty sure will be my only) playthrough of the episode, I picked the Kill Chloe option because--and I'm being completely honest when I tell you this--I thought they were using reverse psychology.

"Chloe has to die to stop the storm? That makes zero sense because Chloe was dead for half the episode and the storm came anyway. They're hiding something good in that ending, I just know it."

I got to the cemetery scene where they actually showed Chloe's name on the tombstone before the reality set in. It was like finding out someone you respect and admire is a peeping tom. "Oh, Dontnod, really? That's beneath you."

I rewound to an earlier part (because this is the one choice that matters) and picked the abbreviated, cheap, Kill Town ending and liked it a little better, because "Learn From Your Mistakes Instead Of Fixing Them" could be thematically consistent, if you squint at it hard enough from a ways away.

But it was on this day I learned that, not content to tell a sad story, Dontnod will stand between you and the game and yell "CRY! CRYYYYYY, DAMN YOU!" Disappointing. I could have sworn they knew better.

And yeah, you might tell me "Logic matters not here! Abandon sense and give in to your feeeeee-feeeeees!" No, alright? Just no. Even apart from the absolutely jarring tonal inconsistency from Episode Four (which was all about logic and fact-finding), the gulf between where the game leads us to and what we finally find when we get there is so wide that you could call it "Lying to make the audience sad," and it would only be a mild exaggeration.

KristaD
23rd Oct 2015, 10:57
My first ending, or the one I actually prefer?

In my first (and what I'm pretty sure will be my only) playthrough of the episode, I picked the Kill Chloe option because--and I'm being completely honest when I tell you this--I thought they were using reverse psychology.

"Chloe has to die to stop the storm? That makes zero sense because Chloe was dead for half the episode and the storm came anyway. They're hiding something good in that ending, I just know it."

I got to the cemetery scene where they actually showed Chloe's name on the tombstone before the reality set in. It was like finding out someone you respect and admire is a peeping tom. "Oh, Dontnod, really? That's beneath you."

I rewound to an earlier part (because this is the one choice that matters) and picked the abbreviated, cheap, Kill Town ending and liked it a little better, because "Learn From Your Mistakes Instead Of Fixing Them" could be thematically consistent, if you squint at it hard enough from a ways away.

But it was on this day I learned that, not content to tell a sad story, Dontnod will stand between you and the game and yell "CRY! CRYYYYYY, DAMN YOU!" Disappointing. I could have sworn they knew better.

And yeah, you might tell me "Logic matters not here! Abandon sense and give in to your feeeeee-feeeeees!" No, alright? Just no. Even apart from the absolutely jarring tonal inconsistency from Episode Four (which was all about logic and fact-finding), the gulf between where the game leads us to and what we finally find when we get there is so wide that you could call it "Lying to make the audience sad," and it would only be a mild exaggeration.

I refuse to pretend to be an idiot to enjoy something. I'm better than that. All of us are.

I think that last statement is some what unwarranted at best, though I'll be an idiot if I get to enjoy something. :)

JohnnyPepsi
23rd Oct 2015, 10:59
I think that last statement is some what unwarranted at best, though I'll be an idiot if I get to enjoy something. :)

Yeah, you're probably right. Edited, and with apologies.

KristaD
23rd Oct 2015, 11:01
Yeah, you're probably right. Edited, and with apologies.

Thank you very much friend. :flowers:

Aefion
24th Oct 2015, 03:01
I choose to destroy Arcadia bay and save Chloe. The reason being is that the whole adventure, the week Chloe and Max spent and all the choices and experiences would mean nothing if she died. You have to remember that if you pick the Chloe sacrifice ending, Max and Chloe went years without seeing eachother just for Chloe to get murdered before they saw eachother again. Neither of the endings is great but I prefer this one.

I think the ending was too black and white too, it basically makes paints Max as a murderer or a mass murderer :(

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 11:44
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. I don't know if it's a selfish choice or a bad choice by saving one person over many people. I just tried to make the decision I would make in real life, taking all the experiences, relationships and knowledge over the past week into account. I felt that no matter what decision you make, Max is going to have some serious issues after her experience. If you choose to save Arcadia Bay, you have lost the person who knows what you have been through, who can help you get over the issues that this power has caused without any judgement. Despite pleading for you to sacrifice her, I don't think Chloe actually wanted to die. So in this respect, Chloe gives you the freedom to choose what you want and in theory she would support whatever you choose.

Imagine having all these great experiences with someone and not having anything to show for it? I would be devastated. Obviously I will never have to make a decision like this in my life (THANK GOD), so I can't truly say what I would have done. I was satisfied with my ending. I don't think I would have been satisfied with the other ending even if Chloe survived the gun shot. All those experiences would be lost. Maybe it is selfish, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I felt it was a good way to end because the game had you make decisions that made a small impact at first and it led to this giant decision from which there was no going back. *Insert cliché statement about life* Haha.

Great game, I hope you guys all enjoyed it and were satisfied with the ending you chose :)

MxMoondoggie
24th Oct 2015, 14:46
I sacrificed Arcadia Bay because honestly when you balance it out what is there for Max without Chloe? She was sort of bimbling through life with no real friends and the ones she did have were just sort of either using her as an emotional crutch for their own self inflicted problems or wanted in her pants and when Max was too busy trying to stop everyone dying he goes off with some other girl then expects to get in your pants because he believes you about the tornado that is already here.

The whole town is full of corruption from top to bottom and everybody is somehow involved in it. Did you see the list of drug sales? Everyone you know pretty much is on drugs. Yeah Chloe is too but at least she's honest about her problems and that she just wants to get away from that place because it's pulling her under into it's corrupt underbelly. All that evil you spent the game trying to combat could be stopped by letting the tornado hit and in the process you can take Chloe away from that place and make her feel loved again so she sorts herself out.

Plus the game tries to force the sacrifice Chloe choice on you and I hate that so I just picked the opposite but I did have some reasons for it.

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 19:49
I sacrificed Arcadia Bay because honestly when you balance it out what is there for Max without Chloe? She was sort of bimbling through life with no real friends and the ones she did have were just sort of either using her as an emotional crutch for their own self inflicted problems or wanted in her pants and when Max was too busy trying to stop everyone dying he goes off with some other girl then expects to get in your pants because he believes you about the tornado that is already here.

The whole town is full of corruption from top to bottom and everybody is somehow involved in it. Did you see the list of drug sales? Everyone you know pretty much is on drugs. Yeah Chloe is too but at least she's honest about her problems and that she just wants to get away from that place because it's pulling her under into it's corrupt underbelly. All that evil you spent the game trying to combat could be stopped by letting the tornado hit and in the process you can take Chloe away from that place and make her feel loved again so she sorts herself out.

Plus the game tries to force the sacrifice Chloe choice on you and I hate that so I just picked the opposite but I did have some reasons for it.

Yes, it does feel as though the game wants you to sacrifice Chloe. I did the same as you, for different and similar reasons haha. The town is majorly corrupt and while not everyone is involved, on the whole it really had to go. Well, in my opinion anyway. Plus there's Chloe, so major boost for the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay option haha. Bae>Bay :P

Arcadiagamer
24th Oct 2015, 19:52
First i choice sacrifice Arcadia, but when i see it, i realize it that Max and Chloe that will be never happy with that end in my opinion, and i choose the another one. Don't like it either, but i see a more "true" end that the another. Personal thoughts.

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 20:00
And i am still refuse to pretend to be an idiot to enjoy something.

Sorry for stealing but i just liked this statement too much.

Stonefire21
24th Oct 2015, 20:15
Well, I put this in another thread but:

Just completed Life is strange, and wanted to state that I loved this game. I would love to get into my experience with the game in general, but this thread is about the ending I chose and why I chose it.

So, I decided, after a few seconds/minutes, to let the town go. I did not want to, but listening to Max at the end there, where she was objecting to using the butterfly photo, made me think that she wanted Chloe around more than anybody in that town. Thinking of it that way, it was wrong to send Max back one more time just to watch her best friend/beloved (I chose the kiss option in three). I felt upset and it was definitely selfish of me to let the town get destroyed, but I cannot play this game again, considering that even thinking about it right now is making me want to cry.

Feel free to call me a monster if you want, or to agree with me, I liked the save Chloe despite how short it is, considering they have the chance to start a new life together (maybe in Seattle or somewhere).

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 20:19
Feel free to call me a monster if you want

You're a monster.

Stonefire21
24th Oct 2015, 21:02
You're a monster.

If joking, I laughed.
If serious, I will not pretend that I was not a monster at the moment, no will I pretend that canon is save Chloe. I will say is that given what I know from the game, Max was reluctant to even consider going back and let Chloe die and probably just would not without me choosing it for her.

JohnnyPepsi
24th Oct 2015, 21:31
If joking, I laughed.
If serious, I will not pretend that I was not a monster at the moment, no will I pretend that canon is save Chloe. I will say is that given what I know from the game, Max was reluctant to even consider going back and let Chloe die and probably just would not without me choosing it for her.

Dude, it's cool. Think of it this way:

If you save Chloe, the moral of the story might be "Learning from your mistakes is preferable to doing more damage trying to fix them."

If you save the town, the moral of the story might be "Whatever force governs the universe is a psychopath with an axe to grind that's hung up on chicks dying in bathrooms and NOWHERE ELSE!"

Feel better?

Stonefire21
24th Oct 2015, 21:35
Dude, it's cool. Think of it this way:

If you save Chloe, the moral of the story might be "Learning from your mistakes is preferable to doing more damage trying to fix them."

If you save the town, the moral of the story might be "Whatever force governs the universe is a psychopath with an axe to grind that's hung up on chicks dying in bathrooms and NOWHERE ELSE!"

Feel better?

Not saying I needed to feel better, but still, good morals to learn.

JohnnyPepsi
24th Oct 2015, 21:36
Not saying I needed to feel better, but still, good morals to learn.

Glad I could help.

Stonefire21
24th Oct 2015, 21:38
Glad I could help.

Plus, save Chloe allows the pair to fully explore their feelings (if the kiss happened), and allows for post-game stories of Max and Chloe.

Xeva-q
24th Oct 2015, 22:06
If joking, I laughed.

I think that Maxine is just strait-up terrifying person and there is no good ending for her. So, you are not a monster. Maxine is.

JohnnyPepsi
24th Oct 2015, 22:59
I think that Maxine is just strait-up terrifying person and there is no good ending for her. So, you are not a monster. Maxine is.

Y'know... I'm actually feeling this.

Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone. Even if Kate jumps off the roof, you get a parade of people telling her "at least you tried!"

Even the inciting incident of the game is predicated on her cowardice. She couldn't even tell a boy to get the hell out of the girl's bathroom. Even if he didn't leave, Chloe would have come in right after, and Nathan wasn't about to shoot someone in front of witnesses.

And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse. And it never occurs to her! She would never, ever put herself in a situation where everyone else benefited except her. She would never say "I'm going to do something that makes me lose, but lets everyone else win." That would require a commitment and a selflessness that Max doesn't possess.

Even the final choice reeks of self-regard. Sacrifice the town? Max keeps her friend at the expense of the lives of hundreds of people. Sacrifice Chloe? Max murders her best friend for no other reason than the ability to look herself in the mirror and say that she's not a monster.

But she is.

The Max-as-Villain interpretation is, I daresay, the only way these endings work at all.

I thought Handsome Jack was the most vile, narcissistic, self-loving, self-loathing, mass-murdering psychopath villain I would encounter in video games this week, but no. Hell no. It's Max Caulfield. Handsome Jack ain't got nuthin' on this chick. I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!

If only it were intentional. If it were, it'd be capital "B" Brilliant!

Stonefire21
24th Oct 2015, 23:07
I thought Handsome Jack was the most vile, narcissistic, self-loving, self-loathing, mass-murdering psychopath villain I would encounter in video games this week, but no. Hell no. It's Max Caulfield. Handsome Jack ain't got nuthin' on this chick. I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!

uhh....I am just gonna stop derailing. I have a thread on this subforum if you all want to continue this.

codemasher
25th Oct 2015, 00:14
Saving Chloe was a no-brainer for me.

Re-watching the other end made me feel like a monster. Max aquired and used her power to save Chloe in first place - so why would she even think about sacrificing her again. She went through hell only to get to this point together with her. (This is something i feel Max should point it out exactly like that when she destroys the photo "NO F***ING WAY, CHLOE! I WENT THROUGH HELL FOR YOU!" *furious*)
Think about all the memories of her time travels - these are permanent. She'd have to live forever alone with the memory of Chloe dying different ways in different timelines. If Chloe's destiny is to die regardless and it happens in a point in the future - so be it. Point is: you saved her for now.

Sacrificing Arcadia Bay on the other hand didn't touch me that much. Sure, there'd be victims, but the storm didn't appear all of a sudden and one might believe that the majority of citizens have been saved somehow as with most natural desasters of that kind (especially Joyce and the friends in Whale's Diner, they have been warned). However, they might be homeless now - all in all maybe not a bad trade-off for having Chloe. Also, think about the Prescott cancer.

Tool has written a song for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

It's a bull***t three ring circus sideshow of freaks
Here in this hopeless f***ing hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any f***ing time. Any f***ing day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arcadia Bay.
(sorry for the many stars...)

That all is not much of a problem considering the situation compared to not having Chloe forever and ever.

My Max and Chloe learned to swim (among others, probably).

#Pricefield4ever #learntoswim #lettheworldburn

Tataboj
25th Oct 2015, 10:56
I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!
As the butterfly landed on the coffin, Max remembered all the beautiful moments with Chloe
Even the final choice reeks of self-regard. Sacrifice the town? Max keeps her friend at the expense of the lives of hundreds of people. Sacrifice Chloe? Max murders her best friend for no other reason than the ability to look herself in the mirror and say that she's not a monster.
In your interpretation, everybody makes only selfish and hypocrite decisions. "You jumped in the water and saved life of that little girl? You did it only because you couldn't look at yourself in the mirror, you hypocrite!"

And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse.
Although it is a popular theory (and I believe it too), developers probably thought of the source of the storm as Chloe has to die in the bathroom. And Chloe and Max thought that too. And if it wasn't true and the storm came anyway, who would be able to correct it? That's right, NOBODY.

is predicated on her cowardice.
Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone
Sure. She was the artist in San Francisco, everybody loved her, but she got back because Chloe and other people would die by the tornado. She sacrificed her bright future.

This is not a fricking fighting game or sporting game. Saying "She never puts her in position where she straight-up loses" feels the same weird like saying it about a movie. But if you really need to look at it with this perspective of view, you really think losing your best friend and having nobody to share the moments she remembers is a win?

KristaD
25th Oct 2015, 11:49
Y'know... I'm actually feeling this.

Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone. Even if Kate jumps off the roof, you get a parade of people telling her "at least you tried!"

Even the inciting incident of the game is predicated on her cowardice. She couldn't even tell a boy to get the hell out of the girl's bathroom. Even if he didn't leave, Chloe would have come in right after, and Nathan wasn't about to shoot someone in front of witnesses.

And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse. And it never occurs to her! She would never, ever put herself in a situation where everyone else benefited except her. She would never say "I'm going to do something that makes me lose, but lets everyone else win." That would require a commitment and a selflessness that Max doesn't possess.

But she is.

The Max-as-Villain interpretation is, I daresay, the only way these endings work at all.

If only it were intentional. If it were, it'd be capital "B" Brilliant!

The last sentence you wrote in the first paragraph is generally called comforting.

I don't think those choices are that narcissistic at all. I wouldn't want to be in Maxine's shoes when confronted with those choices, let your best friend die and save a town or save your friend and let the town die. I don't think there would be any walking away from it since both might die if you do. What ever choice you pick I'm betting Maxine will have some problems with both choices later on in life.

Xeva-q
25th Oct 2015, 13:10
I think a problem is that those choices are not even narcissistic. One can be selfish if they have a lack of self.

7muggy7
26th Oct 2015, 14:34
I chose to save chloe because to me i knew that shes all that matters and i did all that work for her but, the other ending was moer touching in my opinion i wish they would have showed more in saving chloe ending

unnamed_soldier
26th Oct 2015, 15:34
Just look at my english. Its as sad as both endings in Life is Strange.
This Game is a drama, tragedy. So the end of the game was created for the sole purpose. Lets do some mess with your feelings, it's gonna be fun. (I think that it works really well, its not easy decision)... The problem with this game is a combination of a tornado and a final decision. Prepare to weather the storm. Evacuate the dance floor, this will be a disaster. Even if everyone stayed in Arcadia it's still brainless to sacrifice Chloe.... Why? Why i should do that? I have a power to go back in time and stop it. I think that they could check the situation after the tornado. Look before you leap.

Lehkeri
26th Oct 2015, 15:35
Perhaps this fits better here.

Many of my friends chose to save arcadia. It's okay, it's their choice and their reasoning. But it really, really hurts when they say I chose wrong because I didn't understand the game and that their ending is the right one because the devs put more effort in it.

I dunno why it hurts. It just does.

JasminJennifer
26th Oct 2015, 21:05
Maybe because you felt been legtured by others? True the ending with Chloe alive isn't that dressed up like the other ending, but that may is also for an reason (maybe because Maxine can't fight anymore even if she wanted to, Chloe is alive and with her, so she can have finaly a rest). It's nothing wrong with your choise. I guess more that some of your friends miss a lesson in "not hurting other peoples Feelings" or they don't get it whats "Life Is Strange" is really about. If you're in any doubt, hold to your wife, she is totaly right on that : It's a journey. Took even myself until your posting with her insights on what ending she had choosen to find out that this isn't a game with best-list, highscore, right end or wrong end. So i also had stated in my Steam review today (in german language - and thats evil about it, first Review after being 10 years on steam). Sometimes its the best not to choose. To fight. And sometimes its the worst you can do, to do nothing. To choose not to fight. Your wife choose other than me and i choose other than her. We both may share the same feelings in some situations, but for sure not the totaly same life experience. We shared our views on what each of us had choosen and i guess we both respect each other for that.

"Many roads lead to Rome", so you don't have to feel hurt about that. :thumb:

KristaD
26th Oct 2015, 21:30

Many of my friends chose to save arcadia. It's okay, it's their choice and their reasoning. But it really, really hurts when they say I chose wrong because I didn't understand the game and that their ending is the right one because the devs put more effort in it.

I wouldn't worry about this, being hurts just means you have some feelings.

codemasher
26th Oct 2015, 22:32
But it really, really hurts when they say I chose wrong

If they keep hurting you, tell them, they should feel like monsters for sacrificing Chloe. See my earlier post why ;)

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=181425&p=2179905#post2179905

Xeva-q
27th Oct 2015, 09:30

Well, guess what, your friends are correct. After all, Maxine not just chose to not prevent the storm. She was the one who created it(somehow). So, you see, it was not just sacrifice. It was mass-murder.

If you watch some trash movie, where some guy going into killing spree to resurrect someone - would you have any doubts who is the bad guy here? And why is that any different? Because Chloe is pretty and it is okay to kill a lot of people for someone this pretty?

Xeva-q
27th Oct 2015, 12:16
And remember, that in the ending where everyone is dead, two main characters are
not trying to search for survivors;
not trying to ask for help

they just... leaving.

If you never asked: "what is wrong with those people?!" there must be something very wrong with you.

Lehkeri
27th Oct 2015, 12:31
And remember, that in the ending where everyone is dead, two main characters are
not trying to search for survivors;
not trying to ask for help

they just... leaving.

If you never asked: "what is wrong with those people?!" there must be something very wrong with you.

I can't believe there being a single person who doesn't ask this.

Edit. Or ask why they didn't stop. Or similar. Hopefully you get the point.

Xeva-q
27th Oct 2015, 12:46
I can't believe there being a single person who doesn't ask this.

Edit. Or ask why they didn't stop. Or similar. Hopefully you get the point.

Even on this forum there are more than enough people who saying that that ending is actually decent and there are nothing wrong in it with main characters.

Lehkeri
28th Oct 2015, 16:47
Anyone noticed that Alyssa quoted a poem from Robert Frost?

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I wonder if that has any relevance with anything?

KristaD
28th Oct 2015, 17:11
Anyone noticed that Alyssa quoted a poem from Robert Frost?

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I wonder if that has any relevance with anything?

It might very well be a reflection on some of choices the characters make in the game, I think so of those might be rare choices for people to make for whatever reason (the bystander effect comes to mind as one of them)

MeteoricDragon
29th Oct 2015, 00:42
I chose sacrifice Arcadia bay, and didn't like the ending. But would pick it again and again.

If I choose to sacrifice Chloe, I am telling her that the lives of everyone else matter more to me than her life. I'd also be telling her that I'm ok with her dying a cold lonely death as she bleeds out.

Tataboj
29th Oct 2015, 07:12
I chose sacrifice Arcadia bay, and didn't like the ending. But would pick it again and again.

If I choose to sacrifice Chloe, I am telling her that the lives of everyone else matter more to me than her life. I'd also be telling her that I'm ok with her dying a cold lonely death as she bleeds out.

And when you sacrificed Arcadia Bay, you said that you are fine with everybody there dying slow death underneath the debris.

JasminJennifer
29th Oct 2015, 09:35
And when you sacrificed Arcadia Bay, you said that you are fine with everybody there dying slow death underneath the debris.

Guess, i'm blind, because while i choose to sacrifice Chloe (or days later as i replayed the last cliff Scene and choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay) and no dialog or so popped up and said neither nor does the player do so. Sure, it is written easy down here and without saying so, nobody can know how and what we've felt at that choise we'd made at the end. For myself it wasn't that easy choise as it may sound while reading my non-sense english. I've cried alot at the end and still have to if my feelings taking over again. It felt like hours till i choose to save the town (even if and in Special the Prescotts not longer deserved it). Nearly the same as with Chloes request to end her life. It's been minutes under tears till i finaly granted her request.

For that Story it was an 50:50 call. So no college test sheet with 5 to 6 possible choises. Half of us sacrificed Arcadia Bay and the other half done so with Chloe. We all did what we did because of the life we've lifed so far. Some with more good and some with more bad experience made in not unlikly situations to Maxine and Chloe. I wasn't yet in a situation in which i had to choose between an town with some thousand people and a best friend. If there would be only me and my mom in my life (my dad died earlier this year) , i would sacrifice myself if that friend worth it. But i'm married and got an daughter. My husband and me, we both would sacrifice ourself for her without any doubt. But an town ?

Some of us have very good besties. Some are married. Some got children. Some questions, even in these modern times today can't be answered the easy way by "goggling" or so. They up to each of ourself, with no easy and no completly right or wrong morale.

I can only pray, that nobody of us have to face that kind choise in there lifes at any point.

Tataboj
29th Oct 2015, 09:57
By the way, in the San Francisco timeline, Sean Prescott was under investigation of corruption, since the police found out who payed for the Dark Room and I think even Nathan got arrested. So I think we can safely assume that Prescotts will be in real trouble even when Max sacrificed Chloe and saved Arcadia Bay.

JasminJennifer
29th Oct 2015, 11:03
Funny one i found at the gallery scene was, that Lisa Simpson was one of the contest winners, too. So über-nerd :p

MeteoricDragon
30th Oct 2015, 23:03
And when you sacrificed Arcadia Bay, you said that you are fine with everybody there dying slow death underneath the debris. and when you sacrifice Chloe, you said that you are fine with your best friend dying a cold and lonely death.:rolleyes:

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 23:33
and when you sacrifice Chloe, you said that you are fine with your best friend dying a cold and lonely death.:rolleyes:

I doubt that everyone that made that choice feels like that, I did choice that ending that you accept Chloe's request not to interfere in the bathroom, however I am not ok with my friends dying at all, had enough of that already.

KristaD
31st Oct 2015, 02:11
There is always the question regarding the 2 choices in the end : "How does one measure one life against many ?" I think it was from Watchmen (The graphic novel by Alan Moore / Dave Gibbons), I'll have to read it again to be 100%

Det_Forrester
31st Oct 2015, 04:53
The ending I picked was "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay". Why? Because when it came down to it, after everything that had happened, I just couldn't do it. :( I couldn't let Chloe die. I cared too much for her and refused to accept her fate. I'd like to believe that that some of the residents of the town survived. Joyce, Warren, Frank, David, even the students and teachers from Blackwell. Except Jefferson. :mad: May he rot in Hell.

Tataboj
31st Oct 2015, 10:55
and when you sacrifice Chloe, you said that you are fine with your best friend dying a cold and lonely death.:rolleyes:

Umm, you already said that, your statement doesn't mean much in comparison of thousands of people dying slow, lonely death.

S7ewie
31st Oct 2015, 11:26
I think the "right" ending to pick was "Sacrifice Chloe". Personally I think that's the ending that best fits the story and puts a real end to it. You go back to the very beginning and let life play out like it was supposed to, without any rewinds. You've learnt the lesson that time has been trying to teach you, and you've accepted it.. Chloe IS supposed to die, and time should NOT be messed with.

That being said though .. I couldn't do it. I just thought of myself standing there with my best friend and concluded that I wouldn't wanna live the rest of my life without them, especially being my own choice. Plus I'd have to sit there and listen to them die and do nothing.

I kind of saw this ending coming as it drew near. I just didn't think you'd actually get the choice. Part of me thinks it's good that you have that one final ultimate decision to make. But part of me thinks it shouldn't be a choice. If you sacrifice Arcadia Bay like I did then not only are you letting everyone else die .. you're basically saying that you haven't learnt the lesson that the game's been trying to teach you since the very beginning.

So to conclude .. I think the "Right" choice is "Sacrifice Chloe" .. But I sacrificed Arcadia bay because I just couldn't do it.

MeteoricDragon
31st Oct 2015, 20:48
Umm, you already said that, your statement doesn't mean much in comparison of thousands of people dying slow, lonely death.

Part of my willingness to sacrifice Arcadia Bay is that I think that you couldn't get rid of a tornado by rewinding time again anyway. Rewinding time caused the tornado so something else would have to fix it. Also, Max had the tornado premonition before she even saw Chloe for the first time in 5 years in the bathroom.

Tataboj
31st Oct 2015, 22:13
Part of my willingness to sacrifice Arcadia Bay is that I think that you couldn't get rid of a tornado by rewinding time again anyway. Rewinding time caused the tornado so something else would have to fix it. Also, Max had the tornado premonition before she even saw Chloe for the first time in 5 years in the bathroom.

It isn't said that rewind powers cause the tornado and since we can see Max on Friday and tornado didn't come, I think we can assume it is fixed.

PalatineKatinka
31st Oct 2015, 23:31
You've learnt the lesson that time has been trying to teach you, and you've accepted it.. Chloe IS supposed to die, and time should NOT be messed with.

I don't believe that to be the message. The message is that you need to have confidence in your choices and accept that something bad will happen but you just have to take that on and move on with out beating yourself up over it. This is reflected by Chloe constantly telling Max to try new things and take chances and also by the fact that both of them are letting events of the last 5 years to still affect them instead of moving on.

If you sacrifice Arcadia Bay like I did then not only are you letting everyone else die .. you're basically saying that you haven't learnt the lesson that the game's been trying to teach you since the very beginning.

It doesn't matter what you sacrifice. All that matters is that you accept a sacrifice needs to be made as no choice is perfect. Max either goes back and refuses to use her powers, accepting the consequences of Chloe being shot or Max refuses to use her powers and accepts the consequences of the tornado hitting town. The common factor is Max denounces the use of her powers and stops trying to find the perfect result, accepting that something bad will happen. There-in lies the message.

So to conclude .. I think the "Right" choice is "Sacrifice Chloe" .. But I sacrificed Arcadia bay because I just couldn't do it.

There is no 'right' choice, only the choice you make. They even had both Chloe and Warren tell Max that they trust she'll make the right choice, whatever she chooses. Whatever you choose, that is the right choice.

Andres57
1st Nov 2015, 01:49
I sacrificed Arcadia. Maybe sacrificing Chloe was the most "correct" one, is one life vs thousands, but in life we take selfishly decisions too not? (not so extreme though lol). Max biggest link with Arcadia was Chloe herself, there's no meaning of Arcadia to Max without Chloe being there, I think. Felt sad about Warren and Joyce, though. Also, I couldn't be sure if getting Chloe killed was the solution for not getting the tornado, that was a theory that Warren made and that is all, there's never an actual evidence that the tornado is consequence of Max twisting with time. Actually, we're only sure of that because of knowing how the other decision ended

BTW, also I replayed that final part of the chapter sacrifing Chloe and.. it was heartbreaking seeing Max crying while her best friend was getting killed, knowing that in that timeline she never meet with you and never get to know the true of Rachel and all that. Is Friday and there's no tornado, cool, but depressing anyway.

PalatineKatinka
1st Nov 2015, 02:20
Max biggest link with Arcadia was Chloe herself, there's no meaning of Arcadia to Max without Chloe being there, I think.

I think Max would agree with you. (http://chloepriceprotectionsquad.tumblr.com/post/131783900434/okay-max-i-think-i-get-what-youre-trying-to)

codemasher
1st Nov 2015, 03:27
I think Max would agree with you. (http://chloepriceprotectionsquad.tumblr.com/post/131783900434/okay-max-i-think-i-get-what-youre-trying-to)

Beautiful!

After all you can say Max is pretty much obsessed with Chloe... :D #Pricefield

MeteoricDragon
1st Nov 2015, 05:32
It isn't said that rewind powers cause the tornado and since we can see Max on Friday and tornado didn't come, I think we can assume it is fixed. When you talk with Warren in ep5 and pick "He killed Chloe" Warren says, "Max, going back in time is what caused the storm!" Also, in that same conversation Max says "Dead. History, Which I need to change fast to make it right again. Is that bad?" To which Warren replies "For every action, there is a reaction. Whenever you reversed or altered time, maybe you caused a chain reaction, even in the environment." It's hinted and implied in the story that Max caused the tornado by going back in time.

Tataboj
1st Nov 2015, 07:24
When you talk with Warren in ep5 and pick "He killed Chloe" Warren says, "Max, going back in time is what caused the storm!" Also, in that same conversation Max says "Dead. History, Which I need to change fast to make it right again. Is that bad?" To which Warren replies "For every action, there is a reaction. Whenever you reversed or altered time, maybe you caused a chain reaction, even in the environment." It's hinted and implied in the story that Max caused the tornado by going back in time.

1. That's nice and all, but the tornado didn't come.
2. When Max traveled through the photo of the butterfly, she didn't use her rewind powers and Max never found out about the powers (until Friday when the real Max took the place).

Lehkeri
1st Nov 2015, 11:24
When you talk with Warren in ep5 and pick "He killed Chloe" Warren says, "Max, going back in time is what caused the storm!" Also, in that same conversation Max says "Dead. History, Which I need to change fast to make it right again. Is that bad?" To which Warren replies "For every action, there is a reaction. Whenever you reversed or altered time, maybe you caused a chain reaction, even in the environment." It's hinted and implied in the story that Max caused the tornado by going back in time.

While I know Warren's dialogue is the writer's way to give exposition, I love how few sentences later he just says "After this week, I realized I don't know *****" :D

Edit. It seems "poop" is a bad word.

S7ewie
1st Nov 2015, 12:10
Thanks for pointing that stuff out PalatineKatinka.. I feel a bit better and a little less guilty about my decision now haha :D

You've helped me look at it a different way actually, I think you're right .. I had the lesson wrong. It's not that u shouldn't mess with time and Chloe is supposed to die .. It's that whatever you do, at some point you have to take responsibility for your actions .. and you can't fix everything :) .. I think that's a lesson I need to learn myself :D

Thanks

PalatineKatinka
1st Nov 2015, 13:59
Thanks for pointing that stuff out PalatineKatinka.. I feel a bit better and a little less guilty about my decision now haha :D

Glad to have been of help. I came to that conclusion after many sleepless nights since episode 5 came out but I was helped by on the path by reading Tweets and Reddit posts from Michel Koch. If you want to check them out yourself here's the links:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Dontnod_Michel
https://twitter.com/DONTNOD_Michel

The more I read of his replies to people the happier I get as I realise a) I did get it and b) it's okay to save Chloe!

MeteoricDragon
1st Nov 2015, 15:26
1. That's nice and all, but the tornado didn't come.
2. When Max traveled through the photo of the butterfly, she didn't use her rewind powers and Max never found out about the powers (until Friday when the real Max took the place).
She used her powers to going back through the photograph to the bathroom scene. She may have not used her power within the scene of the photograph, but she used her power to get back there. Time is like a thread. If it gets pulled on Friday, it gets dragged across Monday.

The story writers' logic is faulty, that is why the tornado doesn't appear on Friday.

PalatineKatinka
1st Nov 2015, 15:38
The story writers' logic is faulty, that is why the tornado doesn't appear on Friday.

How can you say their logic is faulty when they make a point of not telling us their logic? They intentionally don't go into the details of Max's powers or how they led to the tornado, simply that they did. Maybe using photographs is safe and only her rewind is the issue. Maybe it's safe to use sporadically but if she goes crazy with it it'll cause bad things. We may never know the specifics.

Tataboj
1st Nov 2015, 17:06
She used her powers to going back through the photograph to the bathroom scene. She may have not used her power within the scene of the photograph, but she used her power to get back there. Time is like a thread. If it gets pulled on Friday, it gets dragged across Monday.

And how do you know it is use of her powers? That's right. You don't. Perhaps nobody can be affected by anybody using them. And Max getting out of the cover triggered the powers, because she shouldn't have done this (maybe she would have died). So she had to let Nathan do his work. That's just a theory, alternative of course.

MeteoricDragon
2nd Nov 2015, 05:55
How can you say their logic is faulty when they make a point of not telling us their logic? They intentionally don't go into the details of Max's powers or how they led to the tornado, simply that they did. Maybe using photographs is safe and only her rewind is the issue. Maybe it's safe to use sporadically but if she goes crazy with it it'll cause bad things. We may never know the specifics.

In episode 4, when you talk to Miss Grant on the bench next to Samuel, one of the things that you can get her to say is "time is like a thread, one tug and it can all unravel."
Statements like these are at least how I am finding out their logic.

Wanderer7777
4th Nov 2015, 11:59
I feel kinda lost about seing Chloé diyng, and I don't really appreciate this choice but anyway, both ends hurted me. However, i'm a little bit disappointed about the realisation of SAcrificing Arcadia Bay : the final scene is shorter, the music has been already used before in the games, it seems less..."credible" ? Like if DontNod was leading us to sacrifice Chloé "Ok guys here is what you wanted if you're in love with Chloé but we did an AWESOME final scene on a graveyard so you'de better kill her" I don't know if you understand what i mean, but it makes me doubt.

I don't think it's a question of mathematics ( Chloé = 1 ; Arcadia = 4000 ppl to save), Max is still young, so do I, and I personnaly already lost my best friend 10 years ago, I just couldn't let it happen once again. However it means to Chloé to lost her whole family and Max, all her friends (whenever, if you sacrifice Chloé, all their memory will disappear and you'll have to do everything again, but without your best friend (and GF?)), so I'm just gonna cry until time make me forget about the sensation of seeing people die.

Tataboj
4th Nov 2015, 12:14
I feel kinda lost about seing Chloé diyng, and I don't really appreciate this choice but anyway, both ends hurted me. However, i'm a little bit disappointed about the realisation of SAcrificing Arcadia Bay : the final scene is shorter, the music has been already used before in the games, it seems less..."credible" ? Like if DontNod was leading us to sacrifice Chloé "Ok guys here is what you wanted if you're in love with Chloé but we did an AWESOME final scene on a graveyard so you'de better kill her" I don't know if you understand what i mean, but it makes me doubt.

I don't think it's a question of mathematics ( Chloé = 1 ; Arcadia = 4000 ppl to save), Max is still young, so do I, and I personnaly already lost my best friend 10 years ago, I just couldn't let it happen once again. However it means to Chloé to lost her whole family and Max, all her friends (whenever, if you sacrifice Chloé, all their memory will disappear and you'll have to do everything again, but without your best friend (and GF?)), so I'm just gonna cry until time make me forget about the sensation of seeing people die.

See Michel Koch's (writer of LiS) Twitter. He answers these questions about endings.

PinkFrog
4th Nov 2015, 17:09
See Michel Koch's (writer of LiS) Twitter. He answers these questions about endings.

If you check Michel Koch's profile he seems to be more on the art-side (concepting, art direction etc.) than on the writing side. Just saying.

Also, Wanderer7777, welcome to the forums.
I agree with what you say. And I'm confused why dontnod decided to end the game in the way they did. It seems far too painful.

PS. you can check the forums here, steam and reddit and you will see a lot of people feel that way. There is also a couple of ways to look at the ending that make dealing with it more uplifting and generally enjoyable.

Wanderer7777
4th Nov 2015, 17:56
Thank you guys from both of your answer :) I'm really happy that Dontnod made a game that touched so many people in so many ways.

Tataboj
4th Nov 2015, 18:35
If you check Michel Koch's profile he seems to be more on the art-side (concepting, art direction etc.) than on the writing side. Just saying.

Also, Wanderer7777, welcome to the forums.
I agree with what you say. And I'm confused why dontnod decided to end the game in the way they did. It seems far too painful.

PS. you can check the forums here, steam and reddit and you will see a lot of people feel that way. There is also a couple of ways to look at the ending that make dealing with it more uplifting and generally enjoyable.

Yeah, but he still has some interesting views and how they wanted the endings to feel, also why he is okay with the fact one ending is shorter...

Wanderer7777
4th Nov 2015, 19:02
Really interesting view indeed ! Well, i'm gonna ask him what did he think about Saving Chloe scene (First shot on her skull shirt, bullet necklace and wheel which remind us all her different death) because to my mind the game lead us to save Arcadia, as I said, whenever I chose to save Chloe.

I think that whatever the chose you make, Max is gonna be traumatized (when the truck stops near Warren's car, we can guess that the corpse covered by blancked is his, and it ****ed up my mind, I appreciated this buddy a lot), so the question I answered to myself was "What can you most easily leave with ?"

PinkFrog
4th Nov 2015, 20:14
Really interesting view indeed ! Well, i'm gonna ask him what did he think about Saving Chloe scene (First shot on her skull shirt, bullet necklace and wheel which remind us all her different death) because to my mind the game lead us to save Arcadia, as I said, whenever I chose to save Chloe.

I think that whatever the chose you make, Max is gonna be traumatized (when the truck stops near Warren's car, we can guess that the corpse covered by blancked is his, and it ****ed up my mind, I appreciated this buddy a lot), so the question I answered to myself was "What can you most easily leave with ?"

I always pick Chloe because that was Max' top priority. And then I try not to think too much about it. It's really weird.
Also, the point that they are making... like showing the transition between being young and growing up, being innocent and then take responsibility for your actions, even the bad ones... all this... could have been shown just as well but less traumatizing.

It's like they watched Games of Thrones and said: ah well, the youth of nowadays... how can we still shock these people?!?! I know I know!!!! Lets make them really like our characters and then, when they die (because of course they will), it's by the hand of the player! That gotta hurt like hell.... yess awesome that'll teach 'em!

I mean come on! We haven't forgotten how to feel. You don't need to steamroll us with depressing stuff to get some sort of reaction. Subtle does it!
In this kind of genre.

In Killing Floor 2, not so much... but i degress...

Tataboj
4th Nov 2015, 20:15

I believe Max will live a great life with Warren, Kate might have got closer to Max when she (Kate) was comforting her... And don't you ever dare to disrupt these thoughts! ^ \/ ^

Wanderer7777
4th Nov 2015, 20:25
I believe Max will live a great life with Warren, Kate might have got closer to Max when she (Kate) was comforting her... And don't you ever dare to disrupt these thoughts! ^ \/ ^

I hear you, but I think that Max would have lost more than her best friend. Seems like they are connected, and the whole town could be a memory of her, so I just couldn't stay on Arcadia Bay whenever everyone was here, I hate the past, it freaks me...I'm just triyng to imagine how would I act, but it's hard to think about it : i'm not currently surrounding by friends triyng to console me, I suppose that her smile when she sees the butterly on Chloe's Casket means a lot about her actual feelings.

I pref think that Max and Chloe are getting into Max's parents home on Seattle to get some help before starting their new life together, like, I think, they were suppose to.

EDIT : I no longer agree with what I said about leaving Acradia Bay, it's not what I meant, I just hate feeling nostalgic.

Tataboj
4th Nov 2015, 21:04
I hear you, but I think that Max would have lost more than her best friend. Seems like they are connected, and the whole town could be a memory of her, so I just couldn't stay on Arcadia Bay whenever everyone was here, I hate the past, it freaks me...I'm just triyng to imagine how would I act, but it's hard to think about it : i'm not currently surrounding by friends triyng to console me, I suppose that her smile when she sees the butterly on Chloe's Casket means a lot about her actual feelings.

I pref think that Max and Chloe are getting into Max's parents home on Seattle to get some help before starting their new life together, like, I think, they were suppose to.

I think she smiles because she remembered all the moments with Chloe. And that was actually the message in my opinion: sometimes you have to let go the past. And when you lose someone, you just have to live with it and accept it. Also, she did that to make all the people in Arcadia Bay live, leaving the place you just saved doesn't make sense to me.

Wanderer7777
4th Nov 2015, 22:02
Yeah that's not what I meant, and I added it to my last post ^^

I'm glad we shared our experiences about this moment. I wonder what would I've chose if I really was Max, in front of the storm and my BFF. Ha...

Azuardo
5th Nov 2015, 01:36
I didn't like the choice we were presented with, but I didn't have to hesitate for a second; I'm team Pricefield all day long, and I was always going to sacrifice Arcadia Bay to save Chloe. I couldn't forget everything she and Max had gone through together, and how much I loved Chloe's character. I tried to put myself in Max's shoes, with the belief that the two were in love, and I genuinely think that most people wouldn't sacrifice the one they love, even if it was going to lead to devastation of an entire town. But I think you just had to hope that many people would still survive, as well. Regardless, there's no way I could end Chloe's life by my own "hands." After all Chloe had gone through herself, I think she deserved happiness and a chance to live her life free from the torment she'd faced since losing Rachel, and to make amends with her family. Perhaps I could try to think more about reasons for saving her, but I can unashamedly admit that I simply love Chloe's character, as well as her and Max being together, too much that sacrificing Chloe was never an option for me.

Tataboj
5th Nov 2015, 15:13
I genuinely think that most people wouldn't sacrifice the one they love, even if it was going to lead to devastation of an entire town
Heh, it's actually 50:50 (well, 6% more people saved people of Arcadia Bay). I just can't imagine how could anybody sacrifice thousands of innocent people for the sake of one person (no matter how close he might be). I simply can't do that.

PinkFrog
5th Nov 2015, 15:36
Heh, it's actually 50:50 (well, 6% more people saved people of Arcadia Bay). I just can't imagine how could anybody sacrifice thousands of innocent people for the sake of one person (no matter how close he might be). I simply can't do that.

'cause it's a game. In real life, if such a situation is imaginable in any case, things would be different for us bae'ers for sure.

Tataboj
5th Nov 2015, 16:05
'cause it's a game. In real life, if such a situation is imaginable in any case, things would be different for us bae'ers for sure.

Well, there are a few people that told me that if I faced that situation, I would totally kill all the people. I totally understand why you all saved Chloe.

KristaD
5th Nov 2015, 16:13
Well, there are a few people that told me that if I faced that situation, I would totally kill all the people. I totally understand why you all saved Chloe.

Would killing all the people be the right way to put this, given they are all dead / dying. I think saving would be more appropriate here, as you can choose not to save Chloe.

Tataboj
5th Nov 2015, 16:32
Would killing all the people be the right way to put this, given they are all dead / dying. I think saving would be more appropriate here, as you can choose not to save Chloe.

I would be directly responsible for their death, so I would call that "kill".

KristaD
5th Nov 2015, 16:36
I would say Maxine is indirectly responsible for their deaths, it's not like she planned to have that tornado plow through the town in the first place.

Azuardo
5th Nov 2015, 16:47

I've honestly tried to put myself in that frame of mind. I've been in love in the past, and I, of course, have family that I love dearly, and I think if it came to saving them or sacrificing my town, I'd choose my loved ones. It's a heavy burden to uphold afterwards, but I think if you've truly loved someone, you can begin to understand why choosing Chloe is seen as the only choice for many of us.

That said, I can see the side of "If you truly love someone, you can agree to let them go," since Chloe did say she thought it was time to face her fate and accept her death. Regardless, I couldn't go along with it. But I guess this is why the results are, indeed, so split.

PinkFrog
5th Nov 2015, 17:26
I've honestly tried to put myself in that frame of mind. I've been in love in the past, and I, of course, have family that I love dearly, and I think if it came to saving them or sacrificing my town, I'd choose my loved ones. It's a heavy burden to uphold afterwards, but I think if you've truly loved someone, you can begin to understand why choosing Chloe is seen as the only choice for many of us.

That said, I can see the side of "If you truly love someone, you can agree to let them go," since Chloe did say she thought it was time to face her fate and accept her death. Regardless, I couldn't go along with it. But I guess this is why the results are, indeed, so split.

It is really incredibly hard to make predictions how anyone would act in such an absurd situation. But I also guess that if you feel responsible for a family or a lover that there is no way that you through them under the bus.
Also, your mind will most probably spin some deflective rational why that was a good choice once it's done.

Tataboj
5th Nov 2015, 17:46

I fully understand why you did that, but I really couldn't do that.

Azuardo
5th Nov 2015, 17:50
Yeah, as much as we can try to imagine it, it's impossible to know what we'd really do in a situation like that.

It's probably a lot easier for me to pick the save Chloe option since it's only a game, too.

VictorWeikum
6th Nov 2015, 09:43
First I picked the bad ending as a form of protest agaist the only obvious good/bad choice in the game. Then I reloaded and tried the good one. They are both disgusting. It happens becouse of stupid time limits that developers get from publishers.

KristaD
6th Nov 2015, 09:58
First I picked the bad ending as a form of protest agaist the only obvious good/bad choice in the game. Then I reloaded and tried the good one. They are both disgusting. It happens becouse of stupid time limits that developers get from publishers.

Maybe you should think hard about what those endings mean. There is indeed a lot of things happening there in contrast to the rest of the game, hope you get to see it.

Sky_collapsed
6th Nov 2015, 10:23
Sacrificed Chloe because it felt like the right thing to do. yes it was sad,, really sad, but it just felt like the right thing to do, especially after saving Kate.

PinkFrog
6th Nov 2015, 10:51

Michel Koch posted on reddit that the ending was intended to happen exactly the way it did right from the beginning. Minus some details. But the general idea was always the one we see. Don't blame the publisher for that one. ;)

Lehkeri
6th Nov 2015, 11:32
The main problem with games that have pre-determined main character is that the player must step into someone else's shoes. If Max were a blank slate, it'd be really up to the player to decide what happens, what Max does and so on. But she isn't. In order to fully understand the said character, the player needs to examine every possible bit of history the game offers, analyze the behavior pattern, listen the dialogue carefully and try to think like Max. It's not easy.

Ask yourself, whenever the game gives you a choice, did you make the decision as a player (with meta knowledge and your own morals) or did you make it as Max (Her current knowledge, her morals, her feels) ?

PinkFrog
6th Nov 2015, 12:51
The main problem with games that have pre-determined main character is that the player must step into someone else's shoes. If Max were a blank slate, it'd be really up to the player to decide what happens, what Max does and so on. But she isn't. In order to fully understand the said character, the player needs to examine every possible bit of history the game offers, analyze the behavior pattern, listen the dialogue carefully and try to think like Max. It's not easy.

Ask yourself, whenever the game gives you a choice, did you make the decision as a player (with meta knowledge and your own morals) or did you make it as Max (Her current knowledge, her morals, her feels) ?

Yeah even then,... the thing is that LiS doesn't work as simulation of a human psyche or it's social interaction. It's a pre-written story that the player pushes the protagonist through. The actual impact that the player has is very, very shallow (even when it feels big at times). (Also noteworthy, I don't say that to belittle the game, this way of telling a story is awesome and can be used very effectively, nothing wrong with that).

There were so, so many situations ingame where i would yell at the screen (not really, though, i don't live alone and usually have a cat sleeping on my legs whilst playing) that Max should do something completely different that she actully does. Not because of my morals but because it felt off within the context of her own character. Or because the things she knows and the decisions she makes don't match in a logical sense. Quite often she is very determined to go for one way of resolving an issue when there are many other ways thinkable how to resolve it.

Like right in the beginning, instead of fire alarm (which is forbidden to use unless there is fire, duh) I'd rather rewind and then let her walk casually passed Nathan, asking him what the hell is he doing in the girls toilet. Voila, blue-haired girl lives another day.
Stuff like that.

Also, right at the end, it doesn't seem plausable that Max is content with just two options, both of which are just hunches from people that lack infomation as severly as Max does. There is always another way, why give up now? Max just wouldn't.

So, the whole endavour of putting ourselves in Max' shoes is... very difficult to say the least.

Tataboj
6th Nov 2015, 13:54

I made the choice as me in Max's shoes. If I was Max. And every choice was made the way that Max could have done both of them, so it was on me. Plus, we Don have meta knowledge, we know only what the game showed Max (us). Unless you make different choices after replaying it, with knowledge of future, which is wrong for me.

So, you want RPG? Create your own character, your own story? That's not much of a movie adventure, then. And no RPG offered that kind of a story, they are shallow (no wonder, there are milions of stories possible, it can't be that thoughtful).

Tataboj
6th Nov 2015, 13:55
It is mainly a STORY. We don't play from scratch.

MeteoricDragon
7th Nov 2015, 06:15
I would say Maxine is indirectly responsible for their deaths, it's not like she planned to have that tornado plow through the town in the first place.

Simple and true.

Tataboj
7th Nov 2015, 07:33

That's true, but her actions made them die, and she had the power to not let them die.

KristaD
7th Nov 2015, 08:22
That's true, but her actions made them die, and she had the power to not let them die.

Yeah, true enough.

Gescha2103
8th Nov 2015, 20:51
I choosed to sacrifice Chloe. Because it was a little bit to hard for me to kill a whole town for just one person.

Then I noticed that with the photo of the butterfly Chloe and Max actually didn't had to hurry with there decision in that situation: in theory they could have had both endings. For example they could live together as friends until they get old, so that Chloe would have had a nearly normal life and then (for example at age 70?) Max could use her powers to go back in time and let Nathan kill Chloe. The old Max would have the memories of a life with her best friend and in that alternate reality Arcadia Bay would still be save. But this means that Chloe better never had a family because they would disappear too and Max has to stay alive until she saves town

Tataboj
8th Nov 2015, 21:12
I choosed to sacrifice Chloe. Because it was a little bit to hard for me to kill a whole town for just one person.

Then I noticed that with the photo of the butterfly Chloe and Max actually didn't had to hurry with there decision in that situation: in theory they could have had both endings. For example they could live together as friends until they get old, so that Chloe would have had a nearly normal life and then (for example at age 70?) Max could use her powers to go back in time and let Nathan kill Chloe. The old Max would have the memories of a life with her best friend and in that alternate reality Arcadia Bay would still be save. But this means that Chloe better never had a family because they would disappear too and Max has to stay alive until she saves town

And she would lose her whole life. She would appear next to her old, loving Warren without remembering one single moment with him.

Gescha2103
8th Nov 2015, 22:40
And she would lose her whole life. She would appear next to her old, loving Warren without remembering one single moment with him.

This subordinates that everyone died in that storm. A fact that is not clearly said in the game and I doubt and do not believe that.

But that's not the point: I just wanted to say that they didn't had to make that decision in that moment because there is no pressure of time as long as the butterfly foto exists. To wait to see what damages the storm really does to Arcadia bay before Max makes her decision was at any time an option and I would have taken it before I made such an heavy decision.

Tataboj
9th Nov 2015, 06:10
This subordinates that everyone died in that storm. A fact that is not clearly said in the game and I doubt and do not believe that.

But that's not the point: I just wanted to say that they didn't had to make that decision in that moment because there is no pressure of time as long as the butterfly foto exists. To wait to see what damages the storm really does to Arcadia bay before Max makes her decision was at any time an option and I would have taken it before I made such an heavy decision.

Yeah, that's true.

Nareull
16th Nov 2015, 14:53
Always sacrifice bay, for many reasons - all listed in the spoiler in my other thread:
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=183455

JohnRemarque
5th Dec 2015, 17:49
It's very simple, like my english. Sacrifice Chloe.
In Ep4 you reach a point - the point of knowledge. You can't change the result. you can try to fix it. you can run away. you can displace the consequences. but in the end, you can't displace the knowledge. You can be selfish, of course. But you know it's wrong. And so you choose the bittersweet pain and you cry like a little girl, me too, of course. But this is life. This is the story about "life is strange".

salue
john

UNKLEPhilosophy
5th Dec 2015, 20:03
It's very simple, like my english. Sacrifice Chloe.
In Ep4 you reach a point - the point of knowledge. You can't change the result. you can try to fix it. you can run away. you can displace the consequences. but in the end, you can't displace the knowledge. You can be selfish, of course. But you know it's wrong. And so you choose the bittersweet pain and you cry like a little girl, me too, of course. But this is life. This is the story about "life is strange".

salue
john

"This is the story about "life is strange".

Not exactly...you forgot to mention that is your opinion.

jvc125
27th Jan 2016, 19:03
I will always choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. In my opinion this is the only right choice. To be honest I think that the game begins at Chloes funeral. Max wishes to go back in time and save Chloe and the blue butterfly (Rachel spirit animal maybe) send her back in time and gives her that time reversing ability but of course nothing is free... if she decide to rescue Chloe she will destroy Arcadia with her friends in it... So the question is "How much will you sacrifice for one you love"... ;)

Tataboj
28th Jan 2016, 07:54
I will always choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. In my opinion this is the only right choice. To be honest I think that the game begins at Chloes funeral. Max wishes to go back in time and save Chloe and the blue butterfly (Rachel spirit animal maybe) send her back in time and gives her that time reversing ability but of course nothing is free... if she decide to rescue Chloe she will destroy Arcadia with her friends in it... So the question is "How much will you sacrifice for one you love"... ;)

Interesting. In that case Max would either live in her dreams or face the reality (and maybe accept the reality?)

shnoopix
28th Jan 2016, 08:28

But how do you explain that Max doesn't remember that she is placed back in time? Wouldn't it be more logical to let her know why she is back? She could handle things different then.

Tataboj
28th Jan 2016, 08:40
But how do you explain that Max doesn't remember that she is placed back in time? Wouldn't it be more logical to let her know why she is back? She could handle things different then.

Maybe it could be her dream in the night when Chloe died?

shnoopix
28th Jan 2016, 09:41
Maybe it could be her dream in the night when Chloe died?

Interesting idea, but it's a bit out of the blue for me. There is never a clear hint that she is dreaming all of this.
In the nightmare sequence there is a point when the player and Max realise that the sequence has to be some kind of dream.
That doesn't happen in Max' real world. She never really questions her real worlds actions to be a dream. Even in the endings there is no hint to that.
But there has to be such a hint, otherwise every story could simply declared as a dream of the protagonist or an important person of that story.

jvc125
28th Jan 2016, 18:57
Why Max doesnt remember Chloes funeral? Maybe because she can remember past events only after getting time reversing abilities and she got it after being send back or maybe just it would be to easy for her to make decision if she knew the real reason why she was send back...
There are lot of things that should be explained further, like the whole native tribe part in all of stuff happening in arcadia, samuel seems to know something but he is keeping his mouth shut and who the hell is samuel in the first place...? Obviously he is not just some random janitor... Sean Prescott is also a man of the mistery... I love Life is strange but there is just too many things going on there left without explenation. It looks like they started to back out from some ideas which they had at the begining maybe because of the lack of money.

shnoopix
28th Jan 2016, 19:45
Why Max doesnt remember Chloes funeral? Maybe because she can remember past events only after getting time reversing abilities and she got it after being send back or maybe just it would be to easy for her to make decision if she knew the real reason why she was send back...
There are lot of things that should be explained further, like the whole native tribe part in all of stuff happening in arcadia, samuel seems to know something but he is keeping his mouth shut and who the hell is samuel in the first place...? Obviously he is not just some random janitor... Sean Prescott is also a man of the mistery... I love Life is strange but there is just too many things going on there left without explenation. It looks like they started to back out from some ideas which they had at the begining maybe because of the lack of money.

As I stated before, there is no evidence for me that the story starts at the funeral. But I can't prove you wrong, so you're free to believe it. ;)

Samuel is the incarnation of god. :D
Just joking. But I agree that he is a wired character. He said some thinks that make you believe he knows more than he is saying. He even appears in Max' nightmare. He reminded me a bit of Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings.
But maybe he is just a nice wierdo with some spiritual background.

jvc125
28th Jan 2016, 20:51
There are so many uncertain things in the game that you can have your own story and no one can proof you are wrong and I like it.(and no one will make me to belive that Chloe have to die in my version it will never happen;)) We don't even know why Max got that vision of the storm in the first place. If she wont use her powers there will be no storm so what the hell?;)
In my opinion there are too many things going on at once. There is Twin peaks ish mistery(only certain think that Rachel is dead), Alice in wonderland ish Max going in to adulthood, Chloe and Max relationship/romance (maybe little bit of Dantes Divine Comedy in there too with Max going throu hell to save Chloe), Groundhog day ish making things wright and they dont go too deep with any of that... So not only life is strange:D

jvc125
28th Jan 2016, 21:01
And the other reason why I dont think saving Arcadia is a good idea is because people living there are not happy ( the fisherman in front of two whales, the other fisherman in the two whales, the woman waiting for the bus, Joyce has debts) I cant remember if someone said something good about living in Arcadia. Whole town is own by Prescotts family what else I have to say?;)

shnoopix
28th Jan 2016, 22:16
Fun fact, the tag number of Chloe's car actually says TWNPX as a short cut for Twin Peaks.
There are several reasons to save Chloe over Arcadia Bay. I explaned my reasons in other threads before. In short: I had and still have the feeling Max would save Chloe especially after that nightmare. If I were in Max shoes I would save my Chloe too. Even if I would have known for sure that sacrafice Chloe would work at that time, I still would choose to save here. Because undo everything, do nothing instead and believe in an untouchable preset destiny is not how life works for me.

jvc125
29th Jan 2016, 11:16
There is also "fire walk with me" in the two whales bathroom...

Tataboj
29th Jan 2016, 13:13
Interesting idea, but it's a bit out of the blue for me. There is never a clear hint that she is dreaming all of this.
In the nightmare sequence there is a point when the player and Max realise that the sequence has to be some kind of dream.
That doesn't happen in Max' real world. She never really questions her real worlds actions to be a dream. Even in the endings there is no hint to that.
But there has to be such a hint, otherwise every story could simply declared as a dream of the protagonist or an important person of that story.

Yep, you're right.

Fun fact, the tag number of Chloe's car actually says TWNPX as a short cut for Twin Peaks.
There are several reasons to save Chloe over Arcadia Bay. I explaned my reasons in other threads before. In short: I had and still have the feeling Max would save Chloe especially after that nightmare. If I were in Max shoes I would save my Chloe too. Even if I would have known for sure that sacrafice Chloe would work at that time, I still would choose to save here. Because undo everything, do nothing instead and believe in an untouchable preset destiny is not how life works for me.

I don't want to get that debate about which ending is better, it is more than enough written here, but I don't think saving everybody in Arcadia Bay means "believe in an untouchable preset destiny", for me, it was a way how to avoid a disaster.

jvc125
29th Jan 2016, 13:50
Like it was being said earlier you can choose whichever ending you like and no one can proof that you are wrong. Another reason I choose the sacrifice of arcadia is cause I can say Valar morghulis at the end (game of thrones fan):D

shnoopix
29th Jan 2016, 16:34
Yep, you're right.
I don't want to get that debate about which ending is better, it is more than enough written here, but I don't think saving everybody in Arcadia Bay means "believe in an untouchable preset destiny", for me, it was a way how to avoid a disaster.

You're right a debate would be pointless, since there no objective better ending.

Chloe brings up the "maybe it's my destiny to die" thing. If I were Max I would've jumped right into Chloes face for believing such bul**** (and kissed her afterwards). :D
In fact I can understand people who chose to save Arcadia Bay (when it's not just the Chloe is destined to die thing), even I wouldn't share those thoughts I can understand them.
For example if you shiped Max and Warren or want to save Kate for sure, I would understand it.
But for me and the Max I used to know, Chloe was way more important than the others. Max and I wantet to save here and I, as a player, also wanted to save Max that way. From that (my) point of view, going back and let Chloe die that way is equal to giving up.

I watched the save Arcadia Bay ending only on youtube, while watching it I knew that haven't played that way, but it was so sad (and masterfully done) that I actually feld I've done something wrong. :eek:

jvc125
29th Jan 2016, 16:55
There is no bad ending in the game it's just a matter of your choice. You can make million of reasons to let Chloe die or let her live it's just up to you. You will choose what ever suits you more. If they would gave you true ending it would be less interesting now you have to think which ending was true and let your imagination go make your own story... It makes me restless but its more interesting that way. (still I want know more about that native tribe and samuel)

jvc125
29th Jan 2016, 20:29
I have 3 questions for you: what do you think was that first storm vision?( just a vision, warning, something else?) why she had it? (she was sure that wasn't a dream and she didn't need it to save Arcadia)
Do you think Max kept time reversing ability after the ending (doesn't matter which one did you chose)?
(I got my own thoughts about it but I want to know yours)

shnoopix
30th Jan 2016, 10:11
I have 3 questions for you: what do you think was that first storm vision?( just a vision, warning, something else?) why she had it? (she was sure that wasn't a dream and she didn't need it to save Arcadia)
Do you think Max kept time reversing ability after the ending (doesn't matter which one did you chose)?
(I got my own thoughts about it but I want to know yours)

For me the first tornado vision was a foreshaddow of what will happen in the future. She got it in the class room to question herself and being the catalyst that makes her go to the bathroom at that specific moment.
The foreshaddowing had to be done before Max saved Chloe otherwhise there would be a high chance Max would make a conection between the vision and saving that girl and there for undoing the saving shortly after.

I think Max lost her powers after the final choice as I see their purpose fulfilled. If Max still has them I think she would be to afraid to use them ever again. Max may also learned that rewinding time cause more problems then it solves from time to time.

joswilliams85
1st Feb 2016, 12:47
During my first playthrough, I chose SC ending, then replayed the final scene and chose SAB. And I think that SAB ending is better. Yes, it's a bit selfish decision, and sacrificing Chloe seems to be more logical. But when I remembered how I saved some people during the storm, remembered in what stupid situations they were(except everyone in dining)...Uhhh. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but Max will be with the person she love, and maybe Chloe'll help her to get through all that chaos which is in her head.

rabia_moro
4th Jun 2016, 17:51
I chose to destroy arcadia bay and save chloe because my girlfriend/best friend died and I couldn't let chloe die too... that was 3 years ago and it still hurts so much. of course I wanted to save everybody but I had to choose.. and maybe joyce and warren and others survived too. we never know.

Auronforever
17th Oct 2016, 16:32
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay to save Chloe. The thing is, I could've guessed pretty much what would happen if I sacrificed Chloe. Truth be told, I liked Chloe too much. The game had so many feels over the five episodes, I just wanted it to end on a high note. I haven't seen the Sacrifice Chloe ending; I plan on playing through the game again in a few months after its premise and main story highlights aren't still fresh in my mind.

Retr0WARLOCK
29th Jul 2017, 12:22
i chose bad ending, but i would kill them all, game starts ok, but end bad, game suffer from telitale syndrome, doesnt matter what you chouse, its all the same at the end, max is mentaly boring, chole is just a pozer, with no style, 2 boring charecters..