PDA

View Full Version : What bothers me more than anything.. (SPOILERS)

sonofocelot
20th Oct 2015, 22:48
Hey guys

First up, I adored this game. I've rarely felt more connected to characters and it's been an emotional roller coaster.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm not satisfied with that ending. For me, it's not because it left too much unanswered, for example maxs relationship with warren and/or chloe, as I think it's implied that you'll end up with one of them depending on the choice you make. I agree it would have been nice to see some sort of resolution there, but it didn't bother me THAT much. Here's what bothers me:

My thought process was that the whole 5 episodes had pretty much revolved around saving chloe, so that's what I opted for, and I chose to save her and destroy Arcadia bay, fair enough, but..

-firstly, neither max nor chloe seemed too bothered driving through the remains of Arcadia bay that the likes of Joyce, Warren, Frank etc were all dead in there. Particularly as the blood was on their hands. They seemed to just casually drive off as if it was easy as deciding on whether you fancied a tea or a coffee.

-secondly, to me, the two whales diner didn't look THAT beaten up as they were driving away. The roof was still on, it was still in fairly decent shape considering what had happened.. would they not have at least gone to check if their loved ones were still alive?

-lastly, max and chloe survived, meaning they seemed to have some safe haven up at the lighthouse where the tornado wouldn't hit. Max has seemingly known this for a while, and even said to chloe "the lighthouse, we'll be safe there". So I don't understand why she didn't warn more of the townsfolk? Yes they might suspect she has a supernatural power or something but surely that's better than your loved ones dying? Max seemed to get in and out of the two whales fairly easily, so I think she could've easily dragged at least warren and Joyce off, but probably more too. Failing that, during one of the many times she time travelled through photos in this episode, a quick PSA to the entire town to get the hell out for the next week or two might have been a good idea?

I just don't believe for a second that the choice would've been that black and white, as I firmly believe the townspeople could've been saved, but if it really, really came down to it, I'm amazed that max and chloe seemed so nonchalant driving off.

I'm so glad I played this game but that's a hell of a flat ending for such a masterpiece.

(On a side note, the one other bit that bothers me is warrens reaction to max telling him she has the power. He doesn't bat an eyelid, just believes it straight off. Blergh.)

Am I right though? It seems like either a plot hole that she couldn't do more to save everyone, and certainly odd that they weren't more bothered driving through the corpses of the hundreds they'd just put to death. :/

Corinth
20th Oct 2015, 22:56
I dunno which is worse... that ending, or the "let Chloe die" ending, because in THAT ending... you pretty much (other than getting Mr. Jefferson arrested and saving Victoria and Kate) never even played the game at all because you pretty much undo every single thing you did in the entire game.

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 23:09
Its now been hours since I finished. It kinda didnt hit me at first....but now I will adamantly insist these are the worst endings in a video game since Mass Effect 3. I was invested in this story since February....and we get some open ended crap with nothing explained everything unanswered. Dare I even say generic and predictable ending?

I just really...really hope the reason for this is within the last couple months or so Dontnod internally decided they do want to go another season with Max or something.

Corinth
20th Oct 2015, 23:12
Its now been hours since I finished. It kinda didnt hit me at first....but now I will adamantly insist these are the worst endings in a video game since Mass Effect 3. I was invested in this story since February....and we get some open ended crap with nothing explained everything unanswered. Dare I even say generic and predictable ending?

I just really...really hope the reason for this is within the last couple months or so Dontnod internally decided they do want to go another season with Max or something.

Maybe they have another set of Ending(s) in mind, or maybe there will be a surprise Episode 6 or something that they haven't announced yet... Maybe there will be a patch that adds another ending like Mass Effect 3 did...

Something, anything.

Like I've said, I don't hate the game, it's just... don't tell me "Decisions Matter" if my decisions only led to a Blue Pill/Red Pill ending. That really really irked me about ME3. Throughout two entire games and some of the third, your decisions DID matter, but they dropped all of that at the end for a multiple-choice answer.

I'm really hoping that this doesn't end like this. This game was just too good to end it like this.

sonofocelot
20th Oct 2015, 23:13
I dunno I can't say I'm as angry as I was at say the ending to Lost on TV, cos with something like that I just wished I'd never started watching, and I'm still so so glad I played this game. But I can't get over the fact that they were that stone cold about it, and I'm sure max would've definitely definitely warned the town and got them the hell out of there and up to the lighthouse.

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 23:18
Maybe they have another set of Ending(s) in mind, or maybe there will be a surprise Episode 6 or something that they haven't announced yet... Maybe there will be a patch that adds another ending like Mass Effect 3 did...

Something, anything.

Like I've said, I don't hate the game, it's just... don't tell me "Decisions Matter" if my decisions only led to a Blue Pill/Red Pill ending. That really really irked me about ME3. Throughout two entire games and some of the third, your decisions DID matter, but they dropped all of that at the end for a multiple-choice answer.

I'm really hoping that this doesn't end like this. This game was just too good to end it like this.

I liked EVERYTHING about LIS ep 1-4. After every episode I was always left with WOW.

Nothing about episode 5 feels consistent with any of the previous ones. It almost feels rushed. Whats funny about this is nearing the end of ep4 when Chloe and Max sorta just walk right into a horrible situation kinda naive and stupid....it almost felt rushed to me. Maybe that was when things started going downhill.

Ep5 in general adds so many new layers of WTF IS GOING ON to the story and then answers none of them. I love how Chloe basically just gives you the choice to kill her mother and doesn't seem upset about it at all. There absolutely been another "REFUSE" option (to reference Mass Efffect) and somehow keep Chloe alive. You're telling me Max got a power and the whole morale was using it will destroy the town? Thats really...REALLY dumb.

Corinth
20th Oct 2015, 23:21
There absolutely been another "REFUSE" option (to reference Mass Efffect) and somehow keep Chloe alive. You're telling me Max got a power and the whole morale was using it will destroy the town? Thats really...REALLY dumb.

Well, the way the ending was made... "REFUSE" = "Let the town burn".

You either rewound time so Chloe dies or you don't, in which case the town burns.

Pretty bleh in choice, but well, that's just how they did it. I, IMO, would liked to have had some kind of Option #3 or something. But the way they led the game up (her journal getting burned, etc) kinda excluded any possibility of her getting out of this any other way.

You'd think that a girl who knew she'd need photographs to jump around in time would be asking people to "save" her state by taking lots of pictures of her so that she could tweak to her heart's desire.

sonofocelot
20th Oct 2015, 23:24

You either rewound time so Chloe dies or you don't, in which case the town burns.

Pretty bleh in choice, but well, that's just how they did it. I, IMO, would liked to have had some kind of Option #3 or something. But the way they led the game up (her journal getting burned, etc) kinda excluded any possibility of her getting out of this any other way.

You'd think that a girl who knew she'd need photographs to jump around in time would be asking people to "save" her state by taking lots of pictures of her so that she could tweak to her heart's desire.

Yeah this tbh, but at the very least with all the jumping around in time, or even when she was there with warren and Joyce in the diner, I'm convinced she could've saved way more people.

PHub07
21st Oct 2015, 00:20

Well I should say....more of what the ME3 refuse option SHOULD have been.

Having Chloe live feels more like Destroy. You "win" but so many others lose. The endings feel like losing.

I just can't believe the game revolved around a girl who got the power to time travel for apparently no reason what so ever. Then gets punished for using the power at all.

PHub07
21st Oct 2015, 00:22
Yeah this tbh, but at the very least with all the jumping around in time, or even when she was there with warren and Joyce in the diner, I'm convinced she could've saved way more people.

Why does Max even know the lighthouse would be safe? Yet another unanswered question that makes no sense. We watched a boat smash into it like 15 times and she knows its safe somehow....

dougff8
21st Oct 2015, 02:48
i wish we could save them all, im really disappointed with this ending, i was to platinum trophy, not doing anymore...

pilottjLIS
21st Oct 2015, 03:00
The choices are simply Save Chloe or Save Arcadia Bay. It makes no mention of killing or saving the residents of the town.....this is 'assumed' like a lot of things. There is no real evidence that all the residents were all killed either if you choose the Save Chloe option. Judging by the damage in the last scene through town, there were quite a few partially intact structures, suggesting that quite a few people either survived or were able to evacuate. If you have ever seen footage of small midwest towns wiped out by big tornados, the damage is far worse than what is shown in LIS.

Max saved quite a few people in the initial ground zero storm scene....Trucker, Fisherman, Evan, Alyssa, everyone in the diner. It is quite plausable she would have 're-saved' them and perhaps many more in the next runthrough with Chloe. What would be the incentive to save those people if they were going to get wiped out anyway....or were to have never been affected by the storm in the first place.

In this regard I think it is just as easy to 'assume' there were many survivors from the storm as to assume that they were all killed. I think the suggestion that they were all killed in the nightmare scene was simply Max's own fear playing out in her dream.

With Max tearing up the butterfly photo, she resisited giving into fear, she was renoucing her time travel abilities, and no longer using knowlege of the future to affect the path of herself or others, and leting the 'universe' unfold on its own.

Consider this too. If you talked to the town's residents, you will find out that even without Max's timeplay, the town was already on the path to economical and enviromental ruin due to the Prescott greed. Many of the residents desired to leave. The storm merely forced this issue. The storm survivors would have the opportunity for a new life, either rebuilding Arcadia Bay or moving elsewhere.

I thought the games ending was a lot life....hence the game called Life Is Strange. In life, you can make all kinds of choices, but you will still die eventually. No matter what choices you make will change that. If a big comet is destined to hit the planet and kill a bunch of us off, the comet won't care what choices you made either. Your choices will affect your day to day life, but will not affect the longrun so much. Just like LIS, the choices affected things during the course of the game, but not the ending as much. Personally, I think there are two 'choices' in life too, live in love, or live in fear.

Given the spirtual nature of LIS, it is obvious the writers believe in spirtual concepts such as spirit guides and reincarnation. In this sense, life never 'ends', and thus there won't be any closure.

I kind of liked the choices in the end, they are a lot like real life, two choices that are very grey, there is no right or wrong choice, you make the one that fits you the best.

I played both endings, personally I felt more comfortable saving Chloe based on assumptions above (many surviors embarking on a new start), and the fact that Max positively influenced a lot of people in the game *via your conversation choices. Because of Max, everyone finds something better in themselves, reconciles, makes peace with others, including Max's enemies. Even Nathan apologized to her in his last phone message. Even if some of those people died in the storm, perhaps they died with a feeling of karmic weight lifted.

A beautiful game, I hope Dontnod continues with season 2.

UNKLEPhilosophy
21st Oct 2015, 08:58
I hope there will not be any idiot sequel,DLC,Season it would ruin this great game and endings, Animals survived,Eco system is normal again that's what matters, I give **** about arcadia bay people.Arcadia bay was only one place in LIS universe and chloe always wanted to leave that place.

sonofocelot
21st Oct 2015, 11:52
The choices are simply Save Chloe or Save Arcadia Bay. It makes no mention of killing or saving the residents of the town.....this is 'assumed' like a lot of things. There is no real evidence that all the residents were all killed either if you choose the Save Chloe option. Judging by the damage in the last scene through town, there were quite a few partially intact structures, suggesting that quite a few people either survived or were able to evacuate. If you have ever seen footage of small midwest towns wiped out by big tornados, the damage is far worse than what is shown in LIS.

Max saved quite a few people in the initial ground zero storm scene....Trucker, Fisherman, Evan, Alyssa, everyone in the diner. It is quite plausable she would have 're-saved' them and perhaps many more in the next runthrough with Chloe. What would be the incentive to save those people if they were going to get wiped out anyway....or were to have never been affected by the storm in the first place.

In this regard I think it is just as easy to 'assume' there were many survivors from the storm as to assume that they were all killed. I think the suggestion that they were all killed in the nightmare scene was simply Max's own fear playing out in her dream.

With Max tearing up the butterfly photo, she resisited giving into fear, she was renoucing her time travel abilities, and no longer using knowlege of the future to affect the path of herself or others, and leting the 'universe' unfold on its own.

Consider this too. If you talked to the town's residents, you will find out that even without Max's timeplay, the town was already on the path to economical and enviromental ruin due to the Prescott greed. Many of the residents desired to leave. The storm merely forced this issue. The storm survivors would have the opportunity for a new life, either rebuilding Arcadia Bay or moving elsewhere.

I thought the games ending was a lot life....hence the game called Life Is Strange. In life, you can make all kinds of choices, but you will still die eventually. No matter what choices you make will change that. If a big comet is destined to hit the planet and kill a bunch of us off, the comet won't care what choices you made either. Your choices will affect your day to day life, but will not affect the longrun so much. Just like LIS, the choices affected things during the course of the game, but not the ending as much. Personally, I think there are two 'choices' in life too, live in love, or live in fear.

Given the spirtual nature of LIS, it is obvious the writers believe in spirtual concepts such as spirit guides and reincarnation. In this sense, life never 'ends', and thus there won't be any closure.

I kind of liked the choices in the end, they are a lot like real life, two choices that are very grey, there is no right or wrong choice, you make the one that fits you the best.

I played both endings, personally I felt more comfortable saving Chloe based on assumptions above (many surviors embarking on a new start), and the fact that Max positively influenced a lot of people in the game *via your conversation choices. Because of Max, everyone finds something better in themselves, reconciles, makes peace with others, including Max's enemies. Even Nathan apologized to her in his last phone message. Even if some of those people died in the storm, perhaps they died with a feeling of karmic weight lifted.

A beautiful game, I hope Dontnod continues with season 2.

Well even if I was willing to take it with a pinch of salt and think that maybe max did go back after the tornado scene and save warren and Joyce and a plethora of other people etc etc..

Why would it not show it? Why would it imply more than anything that they just callously drove past their loved ones dead bodies with chloe perfectly happy that max put her mum to death just so they could be together?

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 11:59
It totally feels like as if Dontnod felt so sure that EVERYBODY would automatically pick the save arcadia option (because it's the heroic thing to do) that they neglected the other option.
Saving Chloe is pretty absurdly depicted and one can't help thinking it shouldn't even be possible to do because it makes utterly no sense for both of them.
I mean, how could anyone live with that? And be happy together?

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 12:16
It totally feels like as if Dontnod felt so sure that EVERYBODY would automatically pick the save arcadia option (because it's the heroic thing to do) that they neglected the other option.
Saving Chloe is pretty absurdly depicted and one can't help thinking it shouldn't even be possible to do because it makes utterly no sense for both of them.
I mean, how could anyone live with that? And be happy together?

The answer is quite simple, you live it because you must and happiness comes from within not without. I can see Max and Chloe being happy together even after all the things that have happened. I reckon you can say they could find solace in one another.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 12:20
After you have personally instigated the death of your entire hometown?

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 12:31
I can't what that has to do with anything.

PinkFrog
21st Oct 2015, 12:41
I mean, it's been described in the forum here before. It is diffcult to imagine that can anybody in their sane mind can live with the guilt having caused the death of all relatives and friends in the hometown. This burden should heavily weigh on both girls shoulders. And therefore also should negatively affect the friendship (that's how the human mind works).

KristaD
21st Oct 2015, 12:48
I mean, it's been described in the forum here before. It is diffcult to imagine that can anybody in their sane mind can live with the guilt having caused the death of all relatives and friends in the hometown. This burden should heavily weigh on both girls shoulders. And therefore also should negatively affect the friendship (that's how the human mind works).

The human mind is not a train one a single track, people deal with things differently. We got no idea how Max or Chloe would deal with all this in the long run. I do suspect that they would seek solace in one another because no one else can relate, I am also quite sure they will feel the mental strain of their choices, especially Max after all the crap she goes through and the burden placed on her shoulders. Chloe might have some issues down the line with the loss of her mother and David.

But we can but speculate on this, it's good for the brain.