PDA

View Full Version : The ending just didn't make sense to me.

Robsolo
20th Oct 2015, 15:29
You saved Chloe at the start of the game and many times after, just to then have to kill her once again or let the town get destroyed, I let the town get destroyed. Though did everyone die expect Max and Chloe? They didn't seem to mind much. I didn't think everyone would die picking the town. I feel as if the ending made any and all choices and events pointless. In the end Max either uses the power to save Chloe but everyone else dies or let Chloe die which then makes me wonder why she even had the power in the first place if she couldn't save Chloe or change anything.

gildedfeniks
20th Oct 2015, 15:51
Yeah i am also dissappointed there, but i don't know man, i just can't think clearly anymore. Just because i wanted to talk with the other max, shewere right and i needed to confront her again.

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 19:39
I am very surprised to find myself disappointed at the ending of this game. They have said multiple times and lead us to believe this season is a stand alone story and supposed to be it. That if there was another season....it would be different characters. Did they change their mind or something?

If that isn't the case. Why was there so many EASILY unanswered questions? If you pick sparing Chloe....you don't even get to find out who lived at all....why on earth would they do that to us? Also....the town looks no different from when we went there in game before the major tornado arrived. Not even that the ending is short as heck.

NOTHING was explained.

Could Rachel rewind time too? Is Rachel the butterfly? Why was Max given powers at all if using them would destroy the town. I pretty much assumed it would be fairly obvious Rachel somehow gave Max powers to help Chloe and to solve her murder. Instead doing so screws everything up..

What is with the whole final half hour of the game? Is Max losing her mind? It was all Alan Wake type stuff going on there....an entirely new aspect that of course was left entirely unexplained.

I'm bummed by this.....and wouldn't be at all if this was just the end of another episode. It feels like this shouldn't be the actual end....

KristaD
20th Oct 2015, 20:44
Just don't think too hard on this one. Feelings count here more than logic.

Tataboj
20th Oct 2015, 20:59

Well... I would have cried in the end if I wasn't in shock about how I do not believe that they really made this ending.

KristaD
20th Oct 2015, 21:03
Well... I would have cried in the end if I wasn't in shock about how I do ni believe that they really made this ending.

"Ni" ?

There are more to feelings that just tears you know. ;)

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 21:06
Well... I would have cried in the end if I wasn't in shock about how I do ni believe that they really made this ending.

I sympathize...it really is that bad.

Xeva-q
20th Oct 2015, 21:11
i told you, but no one listened. :)

The whole game was like that.

ChrisGlenn
20th Oct 2015, 21:14

For me, the game went from logical to sentimental throughout the episodes because in the three first episodes you practically had enough clues to guess what was going on and then the cruel part was beggining.

Eiji_04
20th Oct 2015, 22:01
Could Rachel rewind time too?

That's what I thought too. There's probably no real basis for this, but it seems everybody liked (or respected) her though she hang out with totally different people. From what others say about her, she was a lot like Max.

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 22:22
That's what I thought too. There's probably no real basis for this, but it seems everybody liked (or respected) her though she hang out with totally different people. From what others say about her, she was a lot like Max.

To me it seemed heavily implied. Rachel as Jefferson called her....was a chameleon. She was able to fit in with everybody and I noticed this back in the first episode. It was as if she could like Max....rewind to always say the right thing or make people like her.

That and the whole her being Chloes best friend....having the butterfly thing on her air. It all just made sense....it really seemed like Rachel was guiding them...and was somehow someway connected to giving Max her power. I was never expecting us to fully be able to understand how Max was able to control time....but to get absolutely nothing out of it and have using it at all seem to be a negative thing....whattttt??? I figure by the time this ended....Max would have been able to fix things to a decent place....and ultimately lose her power and just go on with her life.

Instead we get none of that explained....at all.

TheEmissary
21st Oct 2015, 08:18
You saved Chloe at the start of the game and many times after, just to then have to kill her once again or let the town get destroyed, I let the town get destroyed. Though did everyone die expect Max and Chloe? They didn't seem to mind much. I didn't think everyone would die picking the town. I feel as if the ending made any and all choices and events pointless. In the end Max either uses the power to save Chloe but everyone else dies or let Chloe die which then makes me wonder why she even had the power in the first place if she couldn't save Chloe or change anything.It's similar to The Butterfly Effect, there is no purpose. Just like the main character in the film, every time Max tries to use her ability to help someone she ****s something up and everything ends badly. In the film the main character saves the life of his girlfriend by never meeting her or (in the Director's Cut) by killing himself inside the womb.

Xeva-q
21st Oct 2015, 08:32
It's similar to The Butterfly Effect, there is no purpose.
It is similar to the movie called "The room", there is no purpose.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 16:53
Could Rachel rewind time too? Is Rachel the butterfly? .

In my opinion, Chloe's soul was the butterfly at the end (it's blue, like her hair, and it bounces, trying to get Max to notice it), Rachel was the doe. Max wasn't losing her mind, it was a nightmare revealing all of her insecurities. I thought the Nightmare was fantastic. The game tells you it was a nightmare so I'm not sure why you think it was left unexplained. I think Max grew and learned from having her powers, she learnt about people, and making friends and that will all help her in the future.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 17:02
it really seemed like Rachel was guiding them...and was somehow someway connected to giving Max her power.

Rachel was the doe. The only time Max sees a real (non spectral) doe in the game (aside from the sacrifice Bay ending) is IN THE JUNKYARD, where Rachel is buried. The doe isn't Max's spirit animal, it's Rachel. I don't think it's a coincidence that Max saw the doe shortly before she got her powers. Yeah, we weren't expressly told that Rachel gave Max her powers but they made it pretty obvious, and that's what I believe. I like how they left it to interpretation. Realistically, how would they write a scene where Rachel communicates with Max from beyond the grave to say "I gave you these powers", it would be a bit cheesy.

They left hints. They didn't tell us, they showed us. That's what counts in my opinion.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 17:08
In my opinion, Chloe's soul was the butterfly at the end (it's blue, like her hair, and it bounces, trying to get Max to notice it), Rachel was the doe. Max wasn't losing her mind, it was a nightmare revealing all of her insecurities. I thought the Nightmare was fantastic. The game tells you it was a nightmare so I'm not sure why you think it was left unexplained. I think Max grew and learned from having her powers, she learnt about people, and making friends and that will all help her in the future.

It does seem like that....but people tend to mostl adopt Maris views on everything for some reason.

Chloe being the butterfly in that ending does make sense. It however doesn't make any sense that the butterfly shows up and seems to cause Maxes powers when Chloe is still alive. The connection here really gets screwy when you consider all you did was save Kate and Victoria as a result of this. Was this all Rachel somehow pulling strings from beyond the grave for revenge? It all made more sense when the doe was considered Maxs spirit animal and not Rachel herself guiding her. Or are WE not even the "original" Max....and somehow all of this already happened before and Chloes soul transcends time and space like Max does. Was it Rachel AND Chloe from beyond the grave somehow doing this all along?

I felt like there was a lot of stuff we didnt need explained....that the ended created a huge desire to be explained.

Max getting her power in the end caused nothing but problems for everybody....when you suddenly throw a curve ball like that. It should at least be explained somewhat. The whole game felt pointless. Was Max given her power by something evil? It only made things worse.

her nightmares foreshadowed exact events...thats the only reason I dont just accept them being nightmares. Pretty much all of it felt directly impacted by something other than her mind just randomly dreaming as ppl do.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 17:10
"Ni" ?

There are more to feelings that just tears you know. ;)

I know, I just said how I would have felt. :) Thanks for the correction, I meant "not". Anyway, I'm not that critical against the ending now, the anger faded off and now I am able to see the strength of it.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 17:25
It however doesn't make any sense that the butterfly shows up and seems to cause Maxes powers when Chloe is still alive. The connection here really gets screwy when you consider all you did was save Kate and Victoria as a result of this. Was this all Rachel somehow pulling strings from beyond the grave for revenge? It all made more sense when the doe was considered Maxs spirit animal and not Rachel herself guiding her. Or are WE not even the "original" Max....and somehow all of this already happened before and Chloes soul transcends time and space like Max does. Was it Rachel AND Chloe from beyond the grave somehow doing this all along?

I felt like there was a lot of stuff we didnt need explained....that the ended created a huge desire to be explained.

Max getting her power in the end caused nothing but problems for everybody....when you suddenly throw a curve ball like that. It should at least be explained somewhat. The whole game felt pointless. Was Max given her power by something evil? It only made things worse.

her nightmares foreshadowed exact events...thats the only reason I dont just accept them being nightmares. Pretty much all of it felt directly impacted by something other than her mind just randomly dreaming as ppl do.

I don't know if the butterfly caused Max's powers. Maybe Chloe's soul entered the butterfly after she died. I think the stuff about Rachel and Chloe transcending space and time is a little too crazy. I don't know where you got that idea. We never find out explicitly how she got her powers (although it's implied she got them from the doe, Rachel) because sometimes in life things happen without explanation. Also, explaining the powers would be a bit cheesy and take away some of the mystique.

Max's power didn't cause ONLY problems, it helped her to make friends and fix some things. The problem only arose when she tried to delay death/fate/destiny. Her powers weren't pointless at all.

The nightmare didn't foreshadow anything. Foreshadowing is stuff that will happen in the future. If you're referring to the flashbacks, they only happened 1-4 days ago, some of them she's lived multiple times (Jefferson's lecture) so it makes sense that she'd remember them vividly. The nightmare is all of Max's insecurities and worries that she can't save people presenting themselves.

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 17:36
I don't know if the butterfly caused Max's powers. Maybe Chloe's soul entered the butterfly after she died. I think the stuff about Rachel and Chloe transcending space and time is a little too crazy. I don't know where you got that idea. We never find out explicitly how she got her powers (although it's implied she got them from the doe, Rachel) because sometimes in life things happen without explanation. Also, explaining the powers would be a bit cheesy and take away some of the mystique.

Max's power didn't cause ONLY problems, it helped her to make friends and fix some things. The problem only arose when she tried to delay death/fate/destiny. Her powers weren't pointless at all.

The nightmare didn't foreshadow anything. Foreshadowing is stuff that will happen in the future. If you're referring to the flashbacks, they only happened 1-4 days ago, some of them she's lived multiple times (Jefferson's lecture) so it makes sense that she'd remember them vividly. The nightmare is all of Max's insecurities and worries that she can't save people presenting themselves.

Trancending time and space is not an idea.....it's speculation on something that already doesn't make sense. How can the butterfly be Chloes soul when we see that butterfly when Chloe is alive. Even if Chloes soul does enter it after she dies....why is it even around at all? So much about the ending cross crosses theories and makes things a confusing mess. So much emphasis on spirit animals...Sams little critters.....Chloe butterfly....Rachel the doe...then what in the world is Maxs spirit animal? But really...how is that crazy? We are controlling time.

The friendships Max made...never happened. Or they are dead.

Max had nightmares about the lighthouse and the storm over and over. Saw the exact events play out before they happened.

Theres a completely unexplained connection between, Max, Rachel Amber, Chloe, Butterfly, and the doe. So much of this stuff didn't need an explanation as it WOULD cheap nit like you said. However ending the way it did....with gaining use of her power at the exact moment in time using it will kill everybody....leaves a huge desire to want to know more. A desire that didnt previously exist.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 17:51
Trancending time and space is not an idea.....it's speculation on something that already doesn't make sense. How can the butterfly be Chloes soul when we see that butterfly when Chloe is alive. Even if Chloes soul does enter it after she dies....why is it even around at all? So much about the ending cross crosses theories and makes things a confusing mess. So much emphasis on spirit animals...Sams little critters.....Chloe butterfly....Rachel the doe...then what in the world is Maxs spirit animal? But really...how is that crazy? We are controlling time.

The friendships Max made...never happened. Or they are dead.

Max had nightmares about the lighthouse and the storm over and over. Saw the exact events play out before they happened.

Theres a completely unexplained connection between, Max, Rachel Amber, Chloe, Butterfly, and the doe. So much of this stuff didn't need an explanation as it WOULD cheap nit like you said. However ending the way it did....with gaining use of her power at the exact moment in time using it will kill everybody....leaves a huge desire to want to know more. A desire that didnt previously exist.

Max still gained from the experience of those friendships. I thought you were referring to the nightmare sequence at the end of the game. The visions about the storm were premonitions, they were a result of her powers, they weren't nightmares because they weren't fictional. Perhaps her being given her powers at that specific moment was all part of a test to make her grow as a person, that's what I thought. I don't mind that they weren't explained. It's left mysterious intentionally.

The connection wasn't explicitly explained, but it was heavily implied. Rachel is the doe who guides Max, Chloe becomes the butterfly, I don't see where the confusion is?

PHub07
22nd Oct 2015, 17:59
Max still gained from the experience of those friendships. I thought you were referring to the nightmare sequence at the end of the game. The visions about the storm were premonitions, they were a result of her powers, they weren't nightmares because they weren't fictional. Perhaps her being given her powers at that specific moment was all part of a test to make her grow as a person, that's what I thought. I don't mind that they weren't explained. It's left mysterious intentionally.

The connection wasn't explicitly explained, but it was heavily implied. Rachel is the doe who guides Max, Chloe becomes the butterfly, I don't see where the confusion is?

The connection is soured by the revelation that Max using her powers for things that felt like destiny.....actually cause the storm. How is that not confusing...we got a power for no reason.....and using it kills the entire town. The time lines with the storm aren't even consistent. Chloe being dead doesn't stop the storm from coming when Jefferson blasts her. Saving William doesn't cause a storm....and there is still a storm coming even if Chloe never died in the alternate reality as she never goes to school to get shot. We got our powers the split second Chloe price dies....the power to save her....when doing so is going to destroy the town.

Even San Francisco. That whole timeline is so sped up its ridiculous. They announce a winner to a contest and literally got on a plane like the next day? Not to mention you would think that Max....after everything thats happened woudln't be so dumb as to hop on a plane out of town when this is all gonna go down. It's as if Max everytime she uses a photograph....enters a version of herself that was entirely ignorant of her powers.....when that cant be because that version still knows to rat out Jefferson.

It's incredibly confusing.

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 18:21
we got a power for no reason.

Nope. The power found Rachel's killer. If you think that the appearance of the doe (Rachel) gave Max her powers in order to find her killer, it makes sense. Max's visions of the future count as powers too. She didn't get the powers as soon as Chloe dies, she gets them in the vision. We just didn't know we could use them until Chloe's death.

The storm is still coming after Jefferson kills Chloe because Chloe's death was delayed so the damage was already done. The trade for saving William was Chloe's life (although she takes a while to die.) The storm is still coming in the alternate timeline because Max saving Chloe in Ep 1 has effects across several timelines, or maybe it's a delayed reaction to saving William's life. It's not inconsistent, you just have to think about it. The ending wasn't perfect but it doesn't deserve all the flak it's getting.

I didn't have a problem with the SanFran stuff. Max thought she'd fixed everything, that's why she got on the plane.

Tataboj
22nd Oct 2015, 18:44
We don't need reasons for things to happen. The universe doesn't do things for reasons. A little atheist, I know.

And thanks to the powers Max got, she learned that some people are cool enough to be friends with her, and many other things I won't name here because my brain isn't working now. :)

EggFried
22nd Oct 2015, 18:59
We don't need reasons for things to happen. The universe doesn't do things for reasons. A little atheist, I know.

And thanks to the powers Max got, she learned that some people are cool enough to be friends with her, and many other things I won't name here because my brain isn't working now. :)

well said.