PDA

View Full Version : Polerized: Nail. Head. (SPOILERS!)

Nightshade3226
20th Oct 2015, 06:46
This episode.

This.

This is how its done.

My expectations were already high and I have to say, Dontnod hit it out of the park. I've never been more emotionally involved in video game story, nor practically broke out in tears over an ending. From the first moment of the first episode, to the final credit roll of the last, I loved everything about it. My personal game of the year.

While the ending was somewhat predictable, the impact and delivery of it was perfect. As many might expect, the whole story comes down to this:

Sacrafice Arcadia Bay or Sacrifice Chloe

The hardest decision in the whole game, by far. And really, the only one that ends up mattering because you can't rewind it.

Me? In the end, I couldn't do it. I couldn't give up Chloe. And in the last scene, you could definitely see Max was tormented over the choice, but I hope that Chloe will help her make peace with her choice.

Two things that I didn't like
1) There was no final confessions of love or kiss (by this point, its fairly clear Max was in love with Chloe, or at least my Max was)
2) It's never explained where Max's power comes from, why she has it, how it works, or if she still has it at the end

With all that said, I give a standing ovation. Bravo!

DONTNOD, I anxiously look forward to your next project and greatly hope to see a Life Is Strange 2.

Jeanosis
20th Oct 2015, 12:00
Well I'm not satisfied with episode 5.
It's lacking of so many important moments:
1. There is no development in Max vs Chloe/Warren relationships. It's really a bad choice to concentrate on time stuff no one understands instead of relationships which devs were putting right to our faces in previous episodes.
2. There is no "after story" action. So we don't know how characters we interacted with are living after our influence.
3. There are too many mysticism stuff. It's cool too see some weird symbolism things but there is simply no space to more important actions in ep5 because of symbols overflowing.
4. There is just simple "this or that" situation at the end. So all your choices in ep5 and previous episodes are simply don't matter anymore. Feeling cheated to be honest.
5. The main message that devs gave us is that "If you can help or change something - don't do it cause it can become even worse after that. So don't do anything and there won't be a difficulties in your life". For real? I've done everything right, saved a lot of people and especially Max's best friend(and lover ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). And now it doesn't matter cause people are gonna die because of me helping them? That's not good at all.
Still better than ME3 ending but I'm upset a bit.

Draikin
20th Oct 2015, 12:31
I can't say I'm really satisfied either. It's certainly not a disaster like ME3 but...

It's not so much the lack of happy ending, but more so the fact that one ending received a lot more attention than the other one. You're presented with two options but they're not treated equally. And what the game seems to push as the "better" ending (sacrificing Chloe) is also the one that completely every single decision you've made. Seeing how cliché this ending is in time-travel stories, and the fact that this is a choice-based game, I never expected DONTNOD to actually use it. Yet they did. And the other ending isn't really explored. We don't know who survived, or whether or not we really changed Chloe's fate. It felt like DONTNOD didn't think this ending was important, yet it's the one where our choices may actually still matter.

So I don't see it as the best episode. Even aside from the ending, there was too much emphasis on shock value and a lot of filler. Some things in the nightmare felt unnecessary and a lot of subplots were not explored.

I don't regret playing the game, but I was hoping for a stronger final episode and more meaningful endings.

Jeanosis
20th Oct 2015, 13:46
I can't say I'm really satisfied either. It's certainly not a disaster like ME3 but...

It's not so much the lack of happy ending, but more so the fact that one ending received a lot more attention than the other one. You're presented with two options but they're not treated equally. And what the game seems to push as the "better" ending (sacrificing Chloe) is also the one that completely every single decision you've made. Seeing how cliché this ending is in time-travel stories, and the fact that this is a choice-based game, I never expected DONTNOD to actually use it. Yet they did. And the other ending isn't really explored. We don't know who survived, or whether or not we really changed Chloe's fate. It felt like DONTNOD didn't think this ending was important, yet it's the one where our choices may actually still matter.

So I don't see it as the best episode. Even aside from the ending, there was too much emphasis on shock value and a lot of filler. Some things in the nightmare felt unnecessary and a lot of subplots were not explored.

I don't regret playing the game, but I was hoping for a stronger final episode and more meaningful endings.

Agreed. I thought they will do something unusual and more logical.

gildedfeniks
20th Oct 2015, 15:59
Definitely the ending wasn't shocking as i expected, Alyssa became warn her pun, also if just wan't for it i wouldn't even saved her, and just because the choice it won't even matter. But the mid-game puzzles was so harder than the other episodes which is fine by me.

Nightshade3226
20th Oct 2015, 16:21
Well I'm not satisfied with episode 5.
It's lacking of so many important moments:
1. There is no development in Max vs Chloe/Warren relationships. It's really a bad choice to concentrate on time stuff no one understands instead of relationships which devs were putting right to our faces in previous episodes.
2. There is no "after story" action. So we don't know how characters we interacted with are living after our influence.
3. There are too many mysticism stuff. It's cool too see some weird symbolism things but there is simply no space to more important actions in ep5 because of symbols overflowing.
4. There is just simple "this or that" situation at the end. So all your choices in ep5 and previous episodes are simply don't matter anymore. Feeling cheated to be honest.
5. The main message that devs gave us is that "If you can help or change something - don't do it cause it can become even worse after that. So don't do anything and there won't be a difficulties in your life". For real? I've done everything right, saved a lot of people and especially Max's best friend(and lover ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). And now it doesn't matter cause people are gonna die because of me helping them? That's not good at all.
Still better than ME3 ending but I'm upset a bit.

After having had the chance to sleep, decompress, and think about things, I pretty much agree with all of this. And most of what everyone else has said too. I'll rate the whole game (E1 to E5) a 9/10 and my personal GOTY, but the ending was...not much of an ending.

The one thing that still bugs me about the whole thing is
if the 'right' choice is to let Chloe die (which seems to be what DONTNOD wanted us to pick), why even bother giving Max the power to change it? Looking back on things, it almost feels like the story got changed somewhere along the way and it ended up not making sense. Too many unanswered questions left. The only reason I can think of that they didn't explain it is the time travel mechanic will also play a role in LIS2, if one happens.

Jeanosis
20th Oct 2015, 17:58
After having had the chance to sleep, decompress, and think about things, I pretty much agree with all of this. And most of what everyone else has said too. I'll rate the whole game (E1 to E5) a 9/10 and my personal GOTY, but the ending was...not much of an ending.

The one thing that still bugs me about the whole thing is
if the 'right' choice is to let Chloe die (which seems to be what DONTNOD wanted us to pick), why even bother giving Max the power to change it? Looking back on things, it almost feels like the story got changed somewhere along the way and it ended up not making sense. Too many unanswered questions left. The only reason I can think of that they didn't explain it is the time travel mechanic will also play a role in LIS2, if one happens.

Well, the most stupid thing is the Tornado and Chloe connection.
The truth is that Max used her powers to go to the Butterfly moment and let Chloe die. But after that she busted Jefferson and so one, so she changed time again but tornado didn't appear. According to logic it should.
Ok, someone might say that it's her powers were causing the tornado, but if so, then why it was going to appear in the alternative reality(where Chloe is paralyzed)? She hadn't used a single rewind since she was 13. And then only once like in the end. So it doesn't make any sense.
Feeling so upset because of a lot of people who keeps saying that it's all logical. D:

TwoTonTom
20th Oct 2015, 18:09
I did not enjoy episode 5 at all. For many of the reasons stated above. I think each episode deteriorated slightly from the previous. I think they had a very strong basis for a story without adding the time travel. It just seemed like a completely pointless mechanic come the end of the story :(

MxMoondoggie
20th Oct 2015, 19:38
It feels like ME3 and Bioshock Infinite the game up to the final act was good but then they didn't know how to write something good so they fell back on a load of cryptic nonsense to try to seem somehow artistic and deep. In reality what we got was pick this choice or that choice but we really think you should pick this choice because it's so morally correct so we'll make you play through loads of cryptic stuff that basically tells you to make this choice.

I'm also not down with evil Jefferson "Mwahahaha it was all me all along! How could you not realise from my totally obvious cryptic lines!?" There were so many angles they could have had to this but they spent so long building up to that reveal that they rushed everything after it so Jefferson evil. Everyone else just pawns. Some popular and respected photographer and lecturer has a secret life funded by some rich kid with a drug problem because he can? What was his motivation to do everything? It's never really explained why he went so far just to take pictures of girls drugged and tied up then kill them. How did he get Nathan involved? How has he never been discovered?

The Warren thing of course that was forced on you too he is the only option for mild romance honestly I felt Max had more of a connection with Chloe and that's why I chose her in the end but we'll get back to that. I did however get a chuckle from evil Warren in the cryptic fever dream "Ape ape ape!".

So the ending you get the choice to apparently save everyone else or save chloe. The whole game is telling you that Max is responsible due to time jumping but wants her to do that again to save everyone? Wouldn't that make it worse? Also what exactly is she saving? A place full of corruption where she never felt she truly fit in and a bunch of people were jerks? A crazy stalker guy who won't leave her alone any minute of the day? Suicidal religious girl? All the drug addicts which seems to basically be everyone in town?

To be honest I figured save Chloe the one person who believed you and helped you through pretty much everything. Let that evil place get destroyed.

PHub07
20th Oct 2015, 20:22
Everything about Life is Strange was flawless.

Except for this ending.....meaning this final chapter. It explains nothing....nothing develops....it only raises more questions....and ultimately none of your choices mattered in the slightest bit. They don't even show a 2 second bit of anybody who may have survived in the storm etc....

Tataboj
20th Oct 2015, 20:40
It feels like ME3 and Bioshock Infinite the game up to the final act was good but then they didn't know how to write something good so they fell back on a load of cryptic nonsense to try to seem somehow artistic and deep. In reality what we got was pick this choice or that choice but we really think you should pick this choice because it's so morally correct so we'll make you play through loads of cryptic stuff that basically tells you to make this choice.

I'm also not down with evil Jefferson "Mwahahaha it was all me all along! How could you not realise from my totally obvious cryptic lines!?" There were so many angles they could have had to this but they spent so long building up to that reveal that they rushed everything after it so Jefferson evil. Everyone else just pawns. Some popular and respected photographer and lecturer has a secret life funded by some rich kid with a drug problem because he can? What was his motivation to do everything? It's never really explained why he went so far just to take pictures of girls drugged and tied up then kill them. How did he get Nathan involved? How has he never been discovered?

The Warren thing of course that was forced on you too he is the only option for mild romance honestly I felt Max had more of a connection with Chloe and that's why I chose her in the end but we'll get back to that. I did however get a chuckle from evil Warren in the cryptic fever dream "Ape ape ape!".

So the ending you get the choice to apparently save everyone else or save chloe. The whole game is telling you that Max is responsible due to time jumping but wants her to do that again to save everyone? Wouldn't that make it worse? Also what exactly is she saving? A place full of corruption where she never felt she truly fit in and a bunch of people were jerks? A crazy stalker guy who won't leave her alone any minute of the day? Suicidal religious girl? All the drug addicts which seems to basically be everyone in town?

To be honest I figured save Chloe the one person who believed you and helped you through pretty much everything. Let that evil place get destroyed.

And what about thousands of other innocent people living there? They will all die just because of one friend?