PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Suggestion for a new Hunter ability.

edorfeus
19th Oct 2015, 19:53
So, I always wondered. why does a standard Hunter skin has a machete on his back, but character doesn't have the ability to use it...
So I suggest the developers create that ability. Idk how should it be called, Hunter's Machete or Silver Sword or something, but it should perform a melee strike with a sword/machete which stuns or disables vamps like prophet's hex shot, but for a smaller amount of time or something. And it have to occupy the primary ability slot. Or even better, you could replace the miserable useless whip with a sword, giving a tough choice of getting a disabling bola which has range or a disabling sword which is melee.
Ironguard Hunters are descendants of Sarafan's tradition after all, so giving them ability to use a sword once in a while is quite logical.
Therefore, if this ability is to be created, you could add the sword on the back to all hunter skins.

River_
19th Oct 2015, 20:23
The way I would imagine it, it would be a place-lock (aka, vampire can attack, but doesn't move away from his position) for a small amount of time (anywhere from 3-5 seconds). Basically, it sticks a sword through their feet/belly/whatever, causing them to be unable to move. Slight damage might be possible? (around 100-ish, same as hex).

Sure, I could see it work.

edorfeus
19th Oct 2015, 20:28
well, it definitely shouldn't paralyze on hit, it would be op. You could just stick a vamp to a place, step back and just shoot the crap outta him for 3-5 seconds. All it should do is give a disabling effect for about 3 sec and some 150 damage, or at least stagger and do more damage, 300 I think would do.
Look at scouts knives. they do about 270 dmg, they have range, and they shoot really fast.

and seeing as vampires mostly have some ranged abilities (summoner most of all), I see it's only logical that humans must have some melee abilities, like a last resort when vamps coming at ya.

ParadoxicalOmen
20th Oct 2015, 00:35
The sword/machete is only for the default skin...i think that's why they made a whip ability and not a sword slash one...

Heretic_13
23rd Oct 2015, 07:58
How about poisoned sword? Sword making vampire stuned sounds rather stupid- and hunters aren`t "magic" kind of warrior. So poison on the blade sounds more resonable. Not only you can stab the leech, but- worst case scenario, you got killed in a brawl- also give him/her a little present, so you`d be remembered, at least for few seconds :)
Also default skin can always be changed, and sword, or mechete can be swaped for bayonet/combat knife carried, and whipped(pun intended) the same way whip is. Also dagger/knife are shorter than sword, so they still leave chance for vampire to get in and get out without a scar

edorfeus
23rd Oct 2015, 19:42
The thing is... the sword gotta be made of silver, that's why it's gonna stun vampires.

Heretic_13
26th Oct 2015, 08:37
Too much "Witcher" perhaps? I love novels by the way, but not enough to be blind to several stupid things that Sapkowski put there. One sword on the back- the longer the blade, the harder to draw- i am 180 cm tall, i can quickly draw sword up to 90 cm, but doing so i am puting myself at risk- i am opened for all kind of attacks. Drawing from the hip- i can cut and defend, even with sword not fully drawed. Swords made out of hard steel- easy to chip and break- look at traditional katanas with hard blades, how easy to damage them. Swords made out of silver- Silver sword would break very easy- look at propeties of that metal. And a fighting with lots of spinning... Do i even need to talk about it?
In "Nosgoth" nobody use silver. Or water- by the way. Even if somebody ever mentioned vampire being weak to silver in LOK, i never saw in any game silver weapon. And if sword is silver, why end there? What about silver bolts, or arrows. Why not silver axes, and shields?

edorfeus
28th Oct 2015, 20:36
Dude, I haven't even read or played any witcher, that's not the case.
I'm not dumb, I know lots of stuff about swords and metals, but the game's in a fictional universe... There's a god damn Van Helsing repeater crossbows and flintlocks with 6 bullet barrel from both of which you can somehow shoot only 9 shots or even less. This isn't about real life authenticity. It's not necessarily gotta be a silver sword, it may be a SILVERED sword, or poisoned sword (like the poisoned bola), it doesn't matter.
The whole thing with the draw time isn't out of the question, since even the whip has a significant activation time, they could make the same kind of thing with the sword, but preferably faster.

Heretic_13
29th Oct 2015, 07:23
Dude, I haven't even read or played any witcher, that's not the case.
I'm not dumb, I know lots of stuff about swords and metals, but the game's in a fictional universe... There's a god damn Van Helsing repeater crossbows and flintlocks with 6 bullet barrel from both of which you can somehow shoot only 9 shots or even less. This isn't about real life authenticity. It's not necessarily gotta be a silver sword, it may be a SILVERED sword, or poisoned sword (like the poisoned bola), it doesn't matter.
The whole thing with the draw time isn't out of the question, since even the whip has a significant activation time, they could make the same kind of thing with the sword, but preferably faster.

And i know what everyone else`ll say- you have melee attack- be happy. I proposed once melle weapons for both humans and vampires- with humans hiting some simple combos and blocking, and vampires able to do charged attacks and blocking(like in Alien vs Predator 3)- but as they told me then, that would unbalance game. If hunter had this quickdraw, all other would need this. But, if you`d choose poison, or silver sowrd instead of bola or whip, and ther would be some cooldown time, thats completly different
As for repeater crossbows
https://www.google.pl/search?q=repeater+crossbow&biw=1280&bih=913&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIkN70qIznyAIVgW8UCh1TnA6_
I dunno about gas prepeled, but look carefully, and you`ll see crossbows that can shot more than one bolt like machine gun- true they are rather new, but as you said Nosgoth technology is not evolving like ours, so we basically have medieval armour and glyph powered "car-carriage" like machines(Look: Blood Omen 2) so it`s not impossible for them to make them like that
As for six barreled pistols
https://www.google.pl/search?q=six+barrel+pistol&biw=1280&bih=913&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIwP7gvI3nyAIVC3EUCh06bQr1
Pretty big portion of them are flintlocks and black powder. And there are revolvers also- with 9 or even 12 barrels. So it`s also possible. It was called "hybrid" i belive
And this "but it`s a fantasy world!"- if no real world laws were present, you`d be bored. If in Skyrim all dragons were light as butterfly, and quietly pass through you istead of this ground shaking flying by, you wouldn`t feel immersion, or threatened.
But setting that aside- the thing is: Hunter is a most "non-magic" class of all humans. He do not posses any wierd powers- all he do and what he is- could be achived by any of us. Traning with weapons, stamina, armour- it`s all, let`s say, "ordinary". They are soliders, with "normal weapons". Thats thier schtick. Scout use this predator camuflage, alchemist has all kind of wierd potions, propehet.. don`t even start me on this one, and vanguard has rousing cry, jugment and bulwark
Any other class with silver weapons would be more agreeable with me. But hunter must use "normal weapons". And silver sword smells of magic. At least to me

edorfeus
29th Oct 2015, 21:26
Those crossbows in the link you posted are just pictures, Try youtube, there's nothing like Van Helsing had in movie or we have in the game. There are repeating crossbows, but they are reloaded manually, not automatically. They have a clip with some amount of bolts, but they don't shoot like a machine gun.
The point about flintlocks wasn't about they aren't real, I knew there are flintlocks with multiple barrels. The point was that pistols in game has 6 barrels each, but the amount of shots you can make, aren't equal to barrels. For example simple dual pistols have a clip of 12, which makes sense, since you have 2 pistols with 6 barrels each, but heavy pistols have a clip of 9 shots, which doesn't make any sense. You can't even divide 9 on 2. That's what I was talking about.
Hunters could use magic weapons, why not? They continue the Sarafan's tradition, so they could totally use some magic weapons or glyph magic.

Heretic_13
30th Oct 2015, 07:18
So let us think about way of making automatic crossbow. For example something akin to weheellock in musket- you have a spring, that will unwind everytime you squeeze trigger, thus making bow string go back to it`s drawn position. So everytime you load, you put a bolt clip and give the "wheel lock" few turns, to wind up a spring. And bolts don`t have to be this medieval type- they can look like a sharpened drop to be more areodynamical. And so forth. Thus we end up with weapon that has more hit power than musket(some medieval crossbows pack more of a punch than a modern weapons) and can fire repeatedly
Hunters could use magic weapon- and whats more, they do use them- look at enchanting weapons in forge. But for me it`s stupid- how common solider, simple grunt one could say, can posess skills to enchant? And if someone do that for them, why they don`t enchant from the very begining?
And not all Sarafan were mages. All of them were extremley good with knives(at least throwing them), swords, and spears, but only choosen few were mages