PDA

View Full Version : When will Thief Deadly Shadows release? (note thread title changed)

Northren
28th Jun 2002, 18:13
I couldn't resist. :p

ChristineS
28th Jun 2002, 18:29
"When it's done!" :D

I coudn't resist, too....;)

Grey Mouser
28th Jun 2002, 19:19
Best current guess: Next year, after DX 2 is released....I think, maybe, but don't quote me...or ever believe me when I talk about my favorite video card to be, the VideoSmoker 3000.

Whatz His Name
28th Jun 2002, 19:41
You just had to post that didn't you. :D

Thorin Oakenshield
28th Jun 2002, 19:54
If T3 is anything like that short avi of DEx2 then it's gonna be one heck of a game:)
http://www26.brinkster.com/mseyre/thorin.txt

Speedy[143]
28th Jun 2002, 21:26
dang!! Northren beat me to it... gotta love the taffers sense of humor:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

Darkh2o
28th Jun 2002, 21:37
I guess Speedy[143] isn't that SPEEDY. :D

Vesper
29th Jun 2002, 07:16
Well someone had to ask :D
Now the T3 forum is official. :)

It probably won't be the last time either :p especially when the time gets closer.........and that will be ???

Vesper

Zaccheus
29th Jun 2002, 09:47
Could someone set this thread to be always on top so that the question does not get asked again and again.
:)

Thorin Oakenshield
29th Jun 2002, 12:53
Good Idea:D Or change the title of the forum to include Don't ask when T3 will be released ;)

Lake
29th Jun 2002, 17:11
Someone had to do it. :D

Stryder
29th Jun 2002, 22:25
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
Good Idea:D Or change the title of the forum to include Don't ask when T3 will be released ;)

LOL :D

Then we could rename the "Legacy forum" to:
"Directions to the the Keystone tree....."
:p

Komag
30th Jun 2002, 18:08
Seriously, there is a guessing pool contest over at the Keep. I've only had a few entries so far, but expect more guesses toward the end of Summer. The winner (or at least the closest guess) gets the dough, so guess away!

http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/pool.htm

Northren
3rd Jul 2002, 16:48
In response to something I read in another thread about the posts in T3 forum...

Admittedly, "When?" is a dumb question and was never meant to be a serious one. At least many taffers can appreciate the humor in it since there is no real information or news about T3. I guess we could discuss the Thief 3 official homepage and the official announcement "website coming soon" and ask ourselves... "When?" :p ;)

<small>

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 22:41
It seems like IF sometimes, But I guess if we keep busy then time will pass quicker.

stikboy
4th Jul 2002, 16:43
:) We should all be anxiously awaiting DX2. I haven't played the original, and not sure if/when I will, but the sooner DX2 comes out, the sooner more attention is placed on our beloved and long awaited T3.

Thorin Oakenshield
7th Jul 2002, 22:29
I just visited a PS2 site and it said Thief 3 will be out TBA 2002.
I hope it comes out for us PC users first. It will be a damn cheek if it doesn't :mad:
So I think we should have it by Crimbo:) (I hope:rolleyes: )

RiCh
8th Jul 2002, 14:14
Deus Ex 2 : Summer 2003
Thief 3 : Christmas 2003

That’s what PC gamer thinks, and since they’ve just done a huge Deus Ex preview I think they may know a few things about the current state of production of the 2 games. So long to wait :( And you can’t trust what magazines say, they’re almost always too optimistic in release date predictions. 1stQ of 2004 for T3 anybody?

Munin the Raven
11th Jul 2002, 01:45
It could very well be a wait for Q1 2004. Still, I'd rather the developers took their time to bring us a quality product than rush it out the door.

Peter_Smith
13th Jul 2002, 16:42
There are real advantages to a long wait. Here are my top 10.

1. The more time they work on it, the better it will be.

2. I get to keep my computer, which works just fine, for at least another year and a half.

3. I won't get any complaints from my wife when I do upgrade.

4. The upgraded computer will be faster and cheaper.

5. I may get to finish all of the FM's, including The Inverted Manse, which I am saving until last.;)

6. By then I may be retired, so I will have more time to play it.

7. I may have time to learn Dromed and develop some FM's of my own.

8. T2X and CoSaS may be released before T3 comes out, so someone will actually play them.

9. The entire gaming community will have been waiting so long that more people will buy T3, just out of curiosity.

10. I get to hang around with you guys even longer and listen to even more speculation about T3 release dates.
:D

RiCh
14th Jul 2002, 13:30
Originally posted by Peter Smith
There are real advantages to a long wait.

9. The entire gaming community will have been waiting so long that more people will buy T3, just out of curiosity.

I don’t quite agree with you on this one Peter, Not the Fans, but the general gaming public may not care about T3 when it’s finally released. Heres why:

Deus Ex 2
Doom 3
Duality
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Hitman 2
IGI 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
No One Lives Forever
Prisoner of War
Rainbow 6:Raven Shield
Splinter Cell
Tactical Ops

And no doubt many other games I can’t think of. All the above games will feature stealth aspects in their gameplay, some more than others. The problem is that all the above will be out before T3’s estimated release date. And what makes matters worst is that: Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, Duality, Splinter Cell and to a degree Metal Gear 2. All use real-time shadows, and gives the player the opportunity to hide from enemies in them. So T3’s real-time shadows won’t be such a novelty anymore. Deus Ex 2 and Splinter Cell both have light gems to show you how concealed you are, and even Doom 3 you’ll be able to hide from certain creatures using shadows to conceal yourself. Even good old Lara seems to have gone all stealthy on us, from what I can gather from the previews and video footage of this game!

SO by the time T3 does get released who will actually care about the game apart from the fans of the previous two? T1 was original and groundbreaking upon its release. I can’t see how T3 will be? So what the answer? Who knows? Rush the game out and make a mess of things? Can the game? No one wants that! The only thing that’s certain, is that I seem know more about games I’m not interested in playing than the one I want to play :( The problem with that is, one day a game may come along and blow me away like Thief once did, and it’ll be like T3? What’s that then?

What happens if DX2 doesn’t sell well? What then for T3? I guess it wouldn’t be hard for ION to stop work on a game that no one knows about :( I’m starting to think we may never see T3….prove me wrong ION!!

Komag
14th Jul 2002, 21:19
Whao Rich, take a deep breath and don't talk yourself into a depression! :) We'll just all have to wait and see, and trust that Thief 3 WILL come

Peter_Smith
14th Jul 2002, 22:58
Rich,

My list was not entirely serious, especially the point in question, although there are some elements of truth in it. I was really hoping to get an LOL rather than a serious response.;)

I agree with Komag. We'll just have to wait and see. Don't forget that a number of gaming publications still regard Thief as a unique and worthwhile game. A few positive comments, and the general public will buy it. After all, some of the general public bought Thief TDP when it came out (I was one of them) only on speculation and a couple of reviews. Since then, the knowledge has spread, and people are prepared to give it a good welcome.

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Aug 2002, 00:28
...3. I won't get any complaints from my wife when I do upgrade...

Yeah right:D ...If only:rolleyes: :D

Zaccheus
1st Aug 2002, 08:20
There are real advantages to a long wait.

> I get to keep my computer, which works just fine, for at least another year and a half.

> I won't get any complaints from my wife when I do upgrade.

> The upgraded computer will be faster and cheaper.

> I may get to finish all of the FM's

> T2X and CoSaS may be released before T3 comes out, so someone will actually play them.

Me too !!!
:)

Bat-mite
21st Aug 2002, 19:57
I don?t quite agree with you on this one Peter, Not the Fans, but the general gaming public may not care about T3 when it?s finally released. Heres why:

Deus Ex 2
Doom 3
Duality
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Hitman 2
IGI 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
No One Lives Forever
Prisoner of War
Rainbow 6:Raven Shield
Splinter Cell
Tactical Ops

Hey, you forgot about BloodRayne!

dafydd
9th Nov 2002, 10:18
[Folks]

Well, here we are.

It's November. November is almost December, and December is almost 2003.

2003 is almost 1Q2004. Pretty soon, we're ALL going to retire, not just Mr. Smith.

So what's up with this, then? I assume if there were news, someone would have posted here in the last three months.

Dafydd

:confused:

Valzara
16th Nov 2002, 16:44
Oh my god I never hear any news about Thief series. Not at all!!!!!!!!!! Even from Eidos nor Looking Class' website... ...
I have no idea if they really plan to make this game.:(
:(

LeatherMan
16th Nov 2002, 17:19
Originally posted by Valzara
Oh my god I never hear any news about Thief series. Not at all!!!!!!!!!! Even from Eidos nor Looking Class' website... ...
I have no idea if they really plan to make this game.:( Looking Glass Studios went out of business soon after Thief 2 was released. What website did you look at?

The Thief 3 (http://www.thief3.com/) website has already been setup, but only as a placeholder for now.

Ion Storm (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/) had a Thief 3 forum setup, but was closed (we believe due to the fact that it had more traffic/posts than Deus Ex 2's forum).

Emil Pagliarulo recently quit working on Thief 3 to work on another game. Info here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9091)

What more do you want?

Darkwarrior
6th Jan 2003, 03:05
How about some news about the actual *game* and not the ******* company for a change?

So far I haven't heard one good piece of news about anything related to Thief 3. I used to be patient, but two and a half years of nothing is totally obnoxious. Deus Ex 2 has its own website, and it's been under development for the same amount of time as Thief!

(practically)

I'm not angry at ISA, but Eidos continues to act as if Thief III doesn't even exist!

Digital Ruin
13th Jan 2003, 09:02
hey at least there is a website waiting!All the FALLOUT fans (including myself) have been dying for Fallout3 and then we get treated to the nice news that it's not even in production and no one wants to make it. Thief 3 on the other hand is *actually* being worked on despite the long wait. If it wasn't the company wouldn't just be quiet they would be saying it's not in production like Fallout3. The fact that they're staying quiet I think is a good thing. They don't want to kill their DX2 hype and the simple fact that they think T3 *would* kill the DX2 hype makes you think it really is going to be that good.

DR

Jewlia
1st Feb 2003, 02:25
Will I be able to play it on my PII 450MHz machine with 256 RAM and 32RAM Graphics card with 1.3 Gigs (at a push) of HD space. Err thats PII...yes P2.

Munin the Raven
1st Feb 2003, 06:14
That's a tough call to make Jewlia.

Several games that came out this year had a minimum requirement of a 32MB video card and 256MB RAM, and your processor is on the low end of what the newest games will allow. Morrowind and Arx Fatalis, which both came out last year, have a bare minimum processor requirement of PIII 500mhz (and both recommend faster). I'm still wondering if my PIII 933mhz processor is going to be able to handle Thief III.

Your best bet is to check out the requirements for Deus Ex II when that game comes out, probably in 2-3 months. It's using a similar graphics/lighting engine and it's being developed by the same company, so there's a good chance the required hardware will be very similar.

My guess is that while your system <i>may</i> be able to run Thief III, the chances of you being able to run it at a comfotable playing speed aren't very good.:(

Digital Ruin
1st Feb 2003, 10:01
Your I think your right. If it IS possblibe to even play it on that comupter it's going to be really bad and choppy.

I think around 1.0 gigaherz we'll be good enough for the game as long as you have a recent video card. Besides, most of the serious processing is graphics anyways. A recent geForce 3, 4 with at least 32 megs (prefereably 64) probably will run the game smooth. You can buy 1 gig computers for like $300 / $400 now in most online compuerts stores or used stores.

N0V4
10th May 2003, 21:48
Thief 3 is coming out?

LMAO!
Why wasnt I informed!
*looks at his sidekick*
*kills his sidekick*
*loots his sidekick*
*ressurects his sidekick*
*kills his sidekick*

Squid
13th May 2003, 07:15
Newest, best guess is 4th Quater 2003. I've even heard firm dates for late November.

Squid2

BrokenArts
13th May 2003, 14:55
I have heard Feb. 2004. I think it will be later than Feb. I would bet. Who knows, we should all be happy the blackout is finally lifting. Now, just give me a damn demo!!! PLEASE! :)

netwave92
6th Jul 2003, 19:30
If you guys want T3 to be released, then stop making FMs. They don't want to release it yet because they know we have a lot of FMs to play with and get by for another year or two. They probably want to make T3 a lot better and challenging than most of these FMs available so far not to mention catering to some complaints in the previous versions.:confused:

Bat-mite
8th Jul 2003, 19:51
netwave,

That's an interesting idea, but I seriously doubt Eidos lets its business plans be dictated by what fans/amateurs are doing for fun.

netwave92
9th Jul 2003, 13:30
bat-mite,

Why not? It's called product development. If you want something to be patronized by the buying public, you might as well be sensitive or responsive to their expectations. We've been talking about this highly anticipated release of T3 since the start of millenium and up to now, no success has been reached. There's got to be a reason behind this or a lot of factors invloved.

Blackjack
21st Jul 2003, 11:27
Originally posted by netwave92
We've been talking about this highly anticipated release of T3 since the start of millenium and up to now, no success has been reached.Except Eidos / ISA are releasing T3. I doubt if the FM fanbase makes any difference at all as to when T3 will be released. Although there are thousands of us, we're nevertheless miniscule compared to the global market required for a successful game launch. Actually, I'd rather they took their time and released T3 when it's ready, and not before.

Ben B
9th Oct 2003, 19:34
I do not know if this has been posted yet or not but ebgames.com
has the release date for the PC set for 11/19 and 4/1/2004 for the xbox :D

Blackjack
9th Oct 2003, 20:20
Hmm. They're now showing 15 Nov 2003 (PC) and 31 Mar 2004 (XB) so that's either totally spurious or the most enticing news for ages. A pre-Christmas Thief release for PC? I'll believe it when I see it.

ChowYunFat
14th Oct 2003, 21:31
Pre-Christmas? Could be--I got my PC Gamer today & it lists T3 with a release date of December 5th!!! So maybe this is real? I'd like to think so, but it's still hard to believe.

lawless77
27th Oct 2003, 16:45
Now EB Games is listing a ship date of 11.3.

Could this be true?

Very enticing!

ChangelingJane
28th Oct 2003, 02:22
If it's coming out that early, they're REALLY under-promoting it! Sheesh!

Kirk
29th Oct 2003, 02:14
I was looking at gogamer.com and they have thief III coming out Nov.5. I know this might be just a possible release date but most of the time this site release dates are pretty close to what they have posted. I can't wait, I still play theif II from time to time and this will give us something to do till Deus Ex II and Half-life II come out.

Blackjack
29th Oct 2003, 10:06
Originally posted by Kirk
... this will give us something to do till Deus Ex II and Half-life II come out.OK, let's be serious for a minute. Deus Ex 2 is due out shortly, several months before Thief 3, which most informed folk realistically expect next February (2004).

We've recently been informed that Ion Storm have progressed sufficiently with DX that they've moved some staff over to Thief, to finish it off.

Check out the Ion Storm (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/) forums for the relevant debates.

[Edit: the reference to HL2 was removed, as it's been delayed by hackers]

SK Denton
31st Oct 2003, 05:22
Originally posted by Kirk
I was looking at gogamer.com and they have thief III coming out Nov.5. I know this might be just a possible release date but most of the time this site release dates are pretty close to what they have posted. I can't wait, I still play theif II from time to time and this will give us something to do till Deus Ex II and Half-life II come out.

Actully gogamer.com usually has wrong dates. They only update a games release date after the date they have posted has come and gone.

I have a few games on preorder from them and every time xii got delayed they only put up the new date on the old release date they had posted. So even though other sites like ebgames had the new date for xii gogamer still had the old dates.

Kirk
31st Oct 2003, 15:20
Relax people,I just posting some wishfull thinking. I know thief wont be released before Deus Ex 2. Hopefully it wont be too long after. I know the release dates posted by retailers usually are not correct. I was just over at EB Games site and they Thief III listed for release in June 2004. That would suck if true. I'm hoping that it will be released in the 1st quarter of 2004. But I haven't seen any thing new at Edios or the Theif III web site. So I guess they're all busy trying to finish Deus Ex 2 for the holidays. Anyway, I can't wait for the next Thief game and I hope the the Thief series of games continues past Thief III.

Orumph
17th Dec 2003, 20:16
So I guess they're all busy trying to finish Deus Ex 2 for the holidays.
And we all know now how that turned out.

If Thief 3 is going to be anything like DX:IW then they better delay it.

If Warren and Eidos/IS have any brains at all, they would delay it and fully fix it for a TRUE PC release.
In which case I would wait.

Meaning, Kill all aspects of Xbox. Keep the playable aspects of the original Thief series. Leaning, video smoothness, HUD and inventory, if it's done anything like DX2. It will suck.

If I'm correct. The sword play is going to clunky.
The levels are going to be cramped and closterphobic, with tons of level loads and short play time.
Just like on DX:IW. Which sucks. There may be a decent story to DX2, but it doesn't make up for the rest of the game.

Believe me, I really hope I'm wrong. But I don't think I am.

Otherwise, put it out as an Xbox port to PC and sell it for 15$, I might buy it.

probably not!

EDIT: too many sucks and craps in there. Please be civil and do not start a flame war.

man
18th Dec 2003, 12:37
DX:IW is a great game, not so perfect for the time, as original DX was, but its great.
If you are one of those poor idiots that couldn't run the game on something like 3ghz/1gb pc, then by a GameBoy and stop speaking about T3 in such a manner.

BTW, "Otherwise, put it out as an Xbox port to PC and sell it for 15$, I might buy it."
don't like the price, DOWNLOAD it, but don't show the whole world you wouldn't play the game because of the price! :eek:

EDIT: removed derogatory remarks about prevous poster. Let's be nice, people.

Bat-mite
18th Dec 2003, 16:12
"man":

We have rules here. Go read them. This is one of them:

No "Slam" postings. We have zero tolerance for "slam" postings to our boards. By slam postings, we mean posts that make statements such as, "This product is horrible. No one should buy it." Those postings will be removed from our site, as will any posting that refers to your fellow board users, our moderators, our developers, Eidos Interactive or even our competitors in a derogatory manner.

(italics mine)

Bat-mite
19th Dec 2003, 16:11
Thanks, Peter.

BlackRabbit
3rd Jan 2004, 13:46
my one concern, having been unfortunate enough to get the last TR game, which Eidos have really botched by bringing in a new charachter that is more wooden than even the original Lara croft in Tr1 is that Eidos will probably botch Thief 3, up to now a brilliant game, it only remains to see if they will turn Garrett into a luke Skywalker and set it in space and swap his bow and arrow for a laser gun or change the time period or, worse still, bring in garrets mum, or his brother or his wife and change the whole concept of the game, still we will have to wait and see

Bat-mite
3rd Jan 2004, 16:31
Well, you can rest assured that T3 will not be like that. The demo movie is out, and it looks just like the first two. TR has been through so many releases that the creators are bored and trying to find something else to do with it. The Thief creators are brand new (Ion Storm vs. Looking Glass) and I doubt will suffer boredom so quickly.

However, the longer Garrett remains active (beyond T3), the greater the chances of someone saying, "Hey...let's take this thing in a whole new direction."

If that is the case, then we should hope T3 is the last of the series.

BlackRabbit
3rd Jan 2004, 17:48
Bat mite, being in the states you have the advantage of getting the releases first, let's just hope that if there is a Thief 4 that is isn't "Garret and his mum go shopping for poisoned arrows" !!, thanks for the reply, I shall rest assured until the game is realeased in the Uk approx March and give it a go.

cheers

aelburr
11th Mar 2004, 08:23
It's not like Tomb Raider was ever seriously involved in story so much as action anyway. I'm sure they realise Thief is a whole different ballgame.

Ekros
18th Mar 2004, 09:37
I think Orumph ist right.

DX2 was the worst game I played for years and I played DX1 6 times. The first part was great but IW was really bad.

I really hope T3 will not be that worse. But I fear so.

Lake
21st Mar 2004, 13:04
When is Thief 3 coming out? :D

AresJMD
23rd Mar 2004, 20:09
Sometime in the spring bud :) Spring 2004

**I accidently wrote 2005 ahhaah man..I'd hate to wait another year!**

John D.

Tb-Cain
25th Mar 2004, 22:46
I've seen ship dates of May 3rd and May 14th on the pre-order sites.

york807
29th Mar 2004, 06:53
5/14/2004 and counting:D

Lake
30th Mar 2004, 20:18
Originally posted by AresJMD
Sometime in the spring bud :) Spring 2004

**I accidently wrote 2005 ahhaah man..I'd hate to wait another year!**

John D.

I was being goofy but thanks for the answer anyway. :D

serra
7th Apr 2004, 18:02
Originally posted by york807
5/14/2004 and counting:D

Thats my birtday:D

obsideo
16th Apr 2004, 19:39
EB is showing it pushed back to 6.01.04

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239896.asp

Bat-mite
16th Apr 2004, 19:51
Good, that means more bugfixing.

RedLegg
18th Apr 2004, 15:02
Originally posted by Bat-mite
Good, that means more bugfixing.

Amen to that!

Chiefdreams
20th Apr 2004, 20:17
I agree!

padillah
22nd Apr 2004, 17:53
Yeah, but GameStop has it listed as 5/3/2004

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=640002

Wha' happa' ?

padillaH

Pdizzle
25th Apr 2004, 02:40
Damn y'all found an old thread, the first posts are from 2002!!!

RedLegg
30th Apr 2004, 13:42
Originally posted by padillah
Yeah, but GameStop has it listed as 5/3/2004

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=640002

Wha' happa' ?

padillaH

Erm...nothing....GameStop is wrong. That all!:D

Squid
1st May 2004, 04:53
May 26th, 2004. Official release date from Eidos' own emails and advertisements. That's about as official as it gets, folks.

And I can't believe that I beat everyone to posting this announcement!

Squid