PDA

View Full Version : About the research mentioned in the game

Diviner
16th Oct 2015, 08:53
The Deus-Ex games mentioned research during the game either actual research that had been conducted in the real world or ideas that are part of the story-line (new weapons, augmentations etc.).

Who gives this background - do you turn to scientific literature or brainstorm things that will help the story-line go more smoothly and then look if such things have already been explored in the real world ?

On a personal note, if there is a job titled: "Deus-Ex scientific adviser" - are you recruiting ?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Oct 2015, 09:35
You should find this (http://www.fastcompany.com/1773935/how-real-science-shaped-game-deus-exs-tech-magic) an interesting read.

Will Rosellini is a science fiction purist. So much so that when his favorite video game—Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex series—started phoning in the science, he offered to consult for free so their next venture would ring a little more true and present a plausible future of enhanced humans...

Diviner
17th Oct 2015, 16:43
He is indeed a lucky guy.. How did he know about DX:HR back at 2008 ?
At any rate if you have any questions about material science I'd love to help.
What is the tech behind the hand trajectory augmentation Adam has (3D printed I'd guess), or where do Adam's glasses go to (this is really a tough one).

Shralla
18th Oct 2015, 12:41
DX3 as it was called then was announced in 2007.

BridgetFisher
19th Oct 2015, 11:14
He is indeed a lucky guy.. How did he know about DX:HR back at 2008 ?
At any rate if you have any questions about material science I'd love to help.
What is the tech behind the hand trajectory augmentation Adam has (3D printed I'd guess), or where do Adam's glasses go to (this is really a tough one).

Perhaps the glasses are always there? Suspended in an invisible lattice structure that when stimulated via current or other means becomes the solid object which is glasses which isnt a hard material so wouldnt be difficult to fabricate since they have very low density of mass?

Diviner
26th Oct 2015, 21:14
I'd say it should be more complicated. Sure, you don't need the glasses to be "Prescription eyeglasses" because Adam probably has perfect eyesight, so there is no need for "high density" materials. But, you do have information presented on the glasses so you have complex electronics in there, which isn't easy to fabricate.