PDA

View Full Version : Everyone - - Project Tiberius, the largest FM project to date ... JOIN THE TEAM!

TRoosevelt_26
28th Jun 2002, 17:09
Project Tiberius

I am currently working on the first two missions (Lord Bumfrey's Mansion and a revised and greatly changed A Keeper's Training) of what is to be my one and only (you'll see why) FM project: Thief: The Great War. This will be the single most ambitious FM project undertaken with DromEd to this point and I have certain openings available for anyone who wishes to help. The ones I can think of follow:

VOICE ACTORS (in order of appearance)
Garrett (sound-alike)
Lady Bumfrey
Female servant from Thief Gold (sound-alike)
Male servant from Thief Gold (sound-alike)
Pawnshop proprietor
Nobles (six male, six female)
Keepers (five or six, not sure yet, all male)
Lord ?
? (compatriot, helps you at one point)
Hammerite guards (four)
Jovial inn-keeper
Man and woman staying at the inn (one of each)
Lord Whittingdon
Harold de Vors (Arveth Gancón's fiancé, a young man)
Arveth Gancón (Harold de Vor's fiancée, a young lady)
Philippe Gancón (Arveth Gancón's father, an older man)
Bertram Cruikshank (middle-aged to older man)
Guards from Thief Gold (sound-alikes)
Lord Bumfrey
Vincent (Lord Bumfrey's personal servant)
Head Keeper
Hammerite high priest

COMPOSER(S)
Writes musical scores for credits and briefings

SOUND MIXER(S)
Mixes conversations, etc. to the appropriate levels, merges Garrett's voice and music into .AVI soundtrack

BRIEFING AND MAP ARTIST(S)
Draws pictures for briefings and maps for missions

BRIEFING CREATOR(S) (.AVI work)
Takes resources (soundtrack, screenshots, storyboard) and creates final .AVI file

EFFECTS SUPERVISOR(S)
Helps with special effects, mainly in the creation of obscure ones, can be an idea man as well

If you can act in any of these capacities (multiple ones are fine, too, as long as, say, all eight of your voices don't sound remarkably alike), please post here and I will e-mail you the concept document (in Microsoft Word format) for what I am calling PROJECT TIBERIUS.

If you would like to "alpha-" or beta-test these missions, ask here or e-mail me.

If you have any questons concerning this project, ask here or e-mail me.

If you have any comments concerning this project, ask here or e-mail me.

If, after receiving the concept document from me, you have questions concerning this project, please do NOT post here. E-mail me. Thank you. :D

FOLLOWING IS THE STORYLINE FOR THIEF: THE GREAT WAR. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING WITH THIS PROJECT, READ ON.

IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN HELPING WITH THIS PROJECT, AND MERELY WISH TO PLAY THE FINISHED MISSIONS WHEN THEY ARE RELEASED, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FOLLOWING WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS OF VARYING DEGREES.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The society of the Precursors was lost in one cataclysmic day. That much is certain, and what follows is surmise founded upon extrapolation, that in turn rooted in ancient, yellowing papers, inscriptions and journals.

Not all of the Precursors were destroyed: some survived, weak insects blinded by the light of a harsh new day. The bedraggled survivors soon banded together to ensure continued survival and just as soon again split violently and permanently. The point of dispute? Knowledge.

Some, intoxicated by the glimpse of godhood shining through the glistening structure of their ruined society, began the difficult process of rebuilding, and called themselves Mages.

Others, wiser and more jaded, began what was to become a perpetual struggle for the balance of their new world: one group seeking knowledge as a means to power, and the other storing it, binding it painstakingly against further use, waiting the day when their dormant civilization would choke back to life and the fate of the world would lie in the balance. They called themselves the Keepers.

They could not keep the world to themselves, and a new society sprang up around the ancient strongholds, filling the forests and the plains and creeping 'round the edges of the mountains. The Builder had come.

The rotting remains of the Precursor society lay forever in and around those too blind to see it, waiting the day when it would rise anew. Meanwhile the Mages and the Keepers kept up a battle of knowledge, fighting for the life of the world, and an Evil waited in the land.

But as power corrupts, so then did knowledge, for there were those of the Keepers who had more in sympathy with the Mages than with their own brotherhood, and they began secretly to work for their own ends. Dark spectres began to rise across the land: hauntings and plagues began to come into their own, and the factions struggled with a renewed might.

Dark relics began to surface in the roiled waters, and were as soon snatched to the strongholds of the descendants of the Precursors, less as objects of war than as repositories of knowledge, their length and breadth carved with runes older than time itself and breathed into dark, rotting existence by an Evil older and greedier than any could suspect.

Finally the balance began to shift.

Keeper law, forbidding direct action in any but the most dire circumstances, was shelved and battle was entered. The war raged across the countries, invisible to all but the most astute and observant. The life of the nations' cities was poured out like blood, and the Pagans and Hammers took charge of the countries like marionettes dancing on a stage of which they know nothing.

And then the one was born who was destined to be the shifter of the balance so long sought after. Both Mages and Keepers sought after him, but it was he who found them. Raised as a Keeper, he grew increasingly disturbed under the strain of things not yet known and things known and weighing heavy upon the mind. He disappeared as quickly as he had come, yet not completely to those who looked with more care than most. He allowed a bond to exist between himself and the Keepers, yet never tested the strength of it. Meanwhile, the great war raged inside an unseeing world.

Here we are: it has been a long journey but an informative one, preparing us for the battles ahead. We know Garrett, but he does not yet know himself. The clock of time has now been set in motion.

Mission 1: Lord Bumfrey's Mansion
Mission 2: Interception
Mission 3: ? City Square
Mission 4: Lord ?'s Mansion/Manor
Mission 5: The ? City Library
Mission 6: Breaking and Entering
Mission 7: At the Golden Burrick
Mission 8: Masquerade
Mission 9: Killing Cupid
Mission 10: Lord ?'s Mansion/Manor
Mission 11: In the Place of Darkness
Mission 12: Precursor Sanctum at Brinhaven
It is now that the balance begins to disintegrate completely. The unwilling keeper of the balance, a thief named Garrett, unwittingly comes upon one of the last relics of that world's ancient and evil past. Commonly called the Sword of Tiberius, it is far older than the rule of Rome, and known to both Mages and Keepers alike as Lothgrynr, the sword of death.

Mission 13: Steeplechase
Mission 14: Unmask
Mission 15: Return to the Citadel
Mission 16: The Burning Temple
Garrett can not be trusted to hold it: that much is clear; and so the hunt for Garrett begins. All the might of the Keepers is focused on finding him, and all else is forsaken. The tide of battle, held for so long against the Mage armies, begins to turn against the Keepers, and it becomes clear that all is lost unless Garrett and the sword are found before he comes under its power and it comes into its own.

The power of the Sword is manifested to Garrett before any of this comes to pass, and Garrett desperately attempts to destroy it.

Mission 17: Dark is the Day
When, however, a malicious act of sabotage at the ancient Precursor complex nearly destroys him instead and makes the destruction of the Sword impossible, he goes of his own accord to the Keepers. The desperation of the situation is elaborated to him by the Keepers, and the battle begins to escalate in earnest. A large faction of Keepers more in mind with the Mages than their own brotherhood joins in arms with the Mage forces, and the prospects of the Keepers begin to look more and more hopeless.

Evil, manifested once in the Precursor society and long before in other, more ancient ones, begins to hold sway over the city in a tangible way. Riots break out in the streets and killings become an everyday occurrence. Evil is reproducing, as it did in the Precursor society under the guise of Children of Light, and as it will through an unwitting Trickster's "creations" and, even later, the Servants of the Mechanists.

Mission 18: Insertion
Mission 19: The Siege of the Citadel
Soon battle lines begin to form: Keepers and Pagans on one side; Mages and Hammerites in an uneasy alliance on the other. Forays into enemy territory become more and more dangerous, and soon even Garrett is forced to remain in the last place of safety: a Keeper stronghold in the center of the city.

But the end is drawing near, and finally the day comes when the Dead prowl the streets outside without obstruction and the last of the Few are barricaded inside the stronghold looking out at a dying city, the thread upon which hang a country and a world.

Mission 20: Sabotage
At the last hour, when the forces of darkness breach the final gate and converge on the last center of good in the land, Garrett, unwilling holder of the balance, escapes. Armed with the collected knowledge of the Keepers, his objective is clear and his mission impossible: find the center of the Precursors' storehouse of knowledge and destroy it forever.

The route to the lost sanctum, divined from ancient texts gathered from the surviving writings of the first Keepers, is treacherous and only by a series of miracles does Garrett pass through the fire of the enemy's armies alive, finding himself within the last sanctum of the Precursors, a building filled with the final writings of a dying civilization frantically trying to put down onto paper all the years' accumulation of knowledge before the intensifying catastrophe overtook them. The ghosts of the Precursors, rising to life at the onset of an intruder, wage horrible war against Garrett and each other, dividing into factions representative of the Mage and Keeper schools of thought.

As the clock of time strikes its dying note, Garrett, wielding Lothgrynr as his only weapon, sets in motion the destruction of the Precursor sanctum and everything goes to hell simultaneously. The Citadel falls, and brutal war is waged in the Great Library of the Keepers. The streets of the city run red and black with blood.

Mission 21: The Battle for ?
Garrett, holder of the balance, is left holding Lothgrynr, last of the ancient relics of evil, in his hands. All that is left to do is to destroy it forever, and let nature run its course.

The means for the destruction of Lothgrynr is in the Great Library, and all that is left Garrett to do is to burn it on the altar in the inner sanctum.

Once this is done (and it is no easy task), the ancient Evil begins to recede almost at once, and Garrett and the Keepers are left with the task of bringing the devastated city back to life…that is, the Keepers are.

Mission 22: The Following Week…
Garrett, never one to go the extra mile if it doesn't forward an agenda of his own, quietly disappears and takes up residence in the city of Dayport, away from the blighted regions of his old city, and barely touched (as is true of most of the world) by the machinations of the ancient Evil of which it has not even heard.

and then comes Thief: The Dark Project…

TRoosevelt_26
28th Jun 2002, 17:13
BrokenArts Female voice acting
Caradavin Female voice acting
Gum Drop Background ambience
Hawklette Female voice acting
Paul Miller General consultant, possible alpha/beta tester
Peter Smith Architectural consultant, alpha/beta tester
PlaneShifter Male/female voice acting, music composition, sound mixing
Rommel_1891 ?
SlyFoxx Male voice acting, Garrett
Squid Male/female voice acting
THEthief Female voice acting, alpha/beta tester
ThorinOakenshield Briefing creation
TRoosevelt_26 (me) Actual mission design and project oversight
Zaccheus Auto-maps (possibly)

ChangelingJane
28th Jun 2002, 19:55
This is PlaneShifter. Just an FYI, I've registered under a new nick in this forum.

littlek
28th Jun 2002, 21:36
Dang, that is ambitious. Not sure what I can do but I'll help if I can. Need any equine models? Not sure if I can record for voice stuff, don't know how to do it but I gots me a college degree - 2 of 'em. I can learn. :p

TallicA
24th May 2004, 16:17
well no one has posted since 2002 so is this thief conversion still in progress?

Komag
24th May 2004, 17:55
Heck no. Whenever I ever see stuff like "This is going to be the awesomest biggest mod EVAR!!!" I just roll my eyes. The proof is in the pudding. Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've yet to be.

John D.
24th May 2004, 19:27
Yes indeed, you should have at least 2 or 3 missions under your belt before you even consider making a bigger project. I find single missions challenging enough.

TallicA
24th May 2004, 20:26
well it is or it isnt. when will the release be?

Komag
25th May 2004, 04:04
NO! No way is there a HUGE project still in the works with NOTHING mentioned of it for two years on all the Thief forums I frequent.

Belboz
26th May 2004, 01:31
Just remember where to start, thief 2 gets iffy if you go beyond miss35.mis.

this is 35 in a sequence.

TallicA
26th May 2004, 16:02
ok so im not realy geting the answer that i want. im geting a mix onit . some say it is and its the biggest modification ever for this game and some say no way, to years with out a post.

so tell me WTF is with this Modification, will it be released in the neer futer or is it a failer?

R_Soul
27th May 2004, 20:29
Originally posted by TallicA
will it be released in the neer futer

Originally posted by Komag
NO!

Iceblade
8th Jun 2004, 19:27
YEEESH!

Unbelievable. Way too much work involved for this to even get off the ground. And you say that he didn't even make a single FM before he started this project? I am not surprised it failed to reach fruition. Too many missions too, and just outrageous on the story.

Choscura
19th Jun 2004, 03:50
i'll say it simply and say it now: it isn't going to work.

thief was originally conceptualized as a realistic first person sword fighting game- small ambition, big success.

battlefield 1942- the developers just wanted a somewhat realistic ww2 game in first person for multiplayer. small ambition, huge success.

far cry: started life as a tech-demo for ubisoft. no ambition... huge success.

doom- small.

half life- relatively small.

team fortress- small.

x-plane- started life as a line moving across the screen that moved differently depending on how you moved the mouse. small ambition, good success.

tribes- small.

i'd love to be proven wrong in this- but i think that something set out from the outset is not a good idea, especially when its that detailed.

start with one goal- to make a cool mod- and go from there. and if you reach a dream goal- the coolest mod ever- then more power to ya.

-Choscura
"oouch... whaddidja haf ta do that for..."
-guard after being blackjacked

Yandros
21st Jun 2004, 13:20
When are people going to realize this project died two years ago and quit posting in this thread? :rolleyes: :D

alexius
19th Jul 2004, 06:08
Hahaha.
This makes us the largest and jolliest project around.
[Dances]

Excluding cosas and t2x, ofcourse...
:D

-Saintly architect Alexius